The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > EFI Sportster Motorcycle Talk (2007 and up)
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Notices

EFI Sportster Motorcycle Talk (2007 and up) For 2007 and above Sportsters

Active Threads
0 2018 East Coast Meet & Greet
Last Post: Screw Loose Dan
Posted On: 8 Minutes Ago
Replies: 607
Views: 33,612
0 Where to buy auto advance weights
Last Post: AkIronheadparty
Posted On: 9 Minutes Ago
Replies: 2
Views: 66
0 Wisamic headlight comparison
Last Post: BKB
Posted On: 9 Minutes Ago
Replies: 11
Views: 577
0 2013 Xl1200C all stock, Intake valve pictures at 30,000 miles,
Last Post: shanneba
Posted On: 10 Minutes Ago
Replies: 0
Views: 1
0 Antz
Posted On: 18 Minutes Ago
Replies: 1
Views: 67
0 hey y'all
Last Post: Folkie
Posted On: 18 Minutes Ago
Replies: 3
Views: 47
0 Dunlop elite 4's?
Posted On: 21 Minutes Ago
Replies: 25
Views: 4,843
0 Engine breather 101 / Crankcase vent 101
Last Post: 83XLX
Posted On: 22 Minutes Ago
Replies: 144
Views: 54,840
0 Roads I'd like to ride.
Last Post: Stairman
Posted On: 25 Minutes Ago
Replies: 73
Views: 3,393
0 Big bore stroker - the beginning of a 10-year long build
Last Post: RKN
Posted On: 29 Minutes Ago
Replies: 697
Views: 58,816
0 Hot Chicks on Hot Bikes
Posted On: 32 Minutes Ago
Replies: 8,964
Views: 1,262,828
0 Anyone go racing last weekend?
Last Post: cycowrencher
Posted On: 35 Minutes Ago
Replies: 2,631
Views: 235,839
0 Official XL Forum Random Image Thread (NO NUDITY!)
Last Post: Graywolf
Posted On: 37 Minutes Ago
Replies: 40,865
Views: 6,264,770
0 Thought my clutch went out or tranny, was front pulley
Last Post: andyb
Posted On: 38 Minutes Ago
Replies: 1
Views: 57
0 C.O.B.B run west
Posted On: 38 Minutes Ago
Replies: 109
Views: 7,020
0 Who can make a spare key?
Last Post: Scuba10jdl
Posted On: 51 Minutes Ago
Replies: 15
Views: 512
0 A Day in the Life...
Last Post: ParrotHead
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 581
Views: 51,744
0 Problems with recently rebuilt transmission
Last Post: paulc
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 172
Views: 11,421
0 Hottie of the day, no nudity.
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 7,010
Views: 499,804
0 Hot Rods, Rat Rods, and Customs.
Replies: 2,493
Views: 190,677
0 79 Engine Rebuild
Last Post: Peteroo
Replies: 38
Views: 1,663
0 ....1
Last Post: bplinson
Replies: 4,500
Views: 207,987
0 :( New deep rebuild on my 90 inch
Last Post: conv90
Replies: 71
Views: 6,207
0 Issue that has me stumped
Last Post: 60Gunner
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 34
Views: 1,217
0 wtb cam cover and primary cover for 2003 sportster
Last Post: painterdude923
Replies: 0
Views: 31
0 Crusty's Travels
Last Post: gravydog
Replies: 1,463
Views: 144,403
0 Any K model guys interested in cam regrinding?
Last Post: sevenyears of famine
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 134
Views: 9,092
0 You asked for it! "The Tess' Coffee Thread"
Last Post: Flame__
Replies: 10,176
Views: 645,696
0 Satisfied Hammer Performance Customers
Last Post: rider61
Replies: 127
Views: 40,973
More...
Members Birthdays
Sponsored Links

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26th January 2008
Senior Chief Harley Engineer 2nd Class

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200 Low/TTS/Gronked
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLCH1000
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1975
2007Low is a name known to all2007Low is a name known to all2007Low is a name known to all2007Low is a name known to all2007Low is a name known to all2007Low is a name known to all2007Low is a name known to all2007Low is a name known to all2007Low is a name known to all2007Low is a name known to all2007Low is a name known to all
Default Engine Stumble On Cold Start-up

I Need Your Help To Solve This Stumbling Problem. I'd Like To Get Everyone Who Has The Same Stumbling Problem On Start-up To Log The Problem In This Thread. Then I Am Going To Take This And Other Info To The Dealer. They Need To See How Many Of Us Are Experiencing This Problem. I'm Taking My Bike To Sturgis This Summer And Am Hoping To Have This Fixed By Then.

They Want My Bike Back Again. I Wrote To Corp Harley About The Fault And They Got Back To Immediately,which Kind Of Surprised Me. The Last Time I Had The Bike To Them For This Problem, They Had Their Analyzing Equip Hooked Up To It And Even As The Problem Was Occurring Nothing Appeared To Be Out Of Wack On The Analyzer. They Told Me Then That I Would Probably Have To Wait Until It Got Worse So It Could Be Picked Up On The Analyzer.

That's When I Resorted To Sending A Two Page Letter To Corp Harley Detailing The Fault And All That Had Been Done. I Have Seen Some Posts Inquiring If Corp Harley Ever Reads These Threads. Well I Don't Imagine That They Do.

So If I Can Get A Response To This Post From All Of You That Have The Problem, I Will Make Sure That At Least My Dealer Sees Them And Corp Harley Also If Theres A Way.

They Told Me That Corp Harley Tech Services Is Going Get Involved In This Now.

I Had My Vid Cam In The Garage Yesterday When I Started The Bike And Of Course The Bike Had A Little Stage Fright And Would Not Stumble Just Idling, But When I Touched The Throttle Just A Smidge It Stumbled And When I Looked At The Recording The Light Was Just Right To Catch The Puff Of Smoke That Came From The Rear Muffler Both Times It Stumbled. So I Will Be Making More Recordings To Take To The Dealer With The Bike. Hopefully I Will Be Able To Capture On Video The Stumble Where It Just Completely Dies Just Sitting There Idling.

Thanks In Advance For Your Help.
Old 26th January 2008
XLF LIFEMEMBER Im retired

Sportster/Buell Model: XL50 0596 Black
Other Motorcycle Model: E-Glide
Other Motorcycle Year: 2003
Bob F has a reputation beyond reputeBob F has a reputation beyond reputeBob F has a reputation beyond reputeBob F has a reputation beyond reputeBob F has a reputation beyond reputeBob F has a reputation beyond reputeBob F has a reputation beyond reputeBob F has a reputation beyond reputeBob F has a reputation beyond reputeBob F has a reputation beyond reputeBob F has a reputation beyond repute

Mine scoot dosen't die but it will pop and miss a bit when pulling when it is cold. My scoot is a XL50 #0569.
Old 26th January 2008
Greasemonkey

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 06
bryant is an unknown quantity at this point

my bike always does the stumble you are talking about when cold. I have an 06 1200 custom.
Old 26th January 2008
Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: XL 1200 Low
mray55 is on a distinguished roadmray55 is on a distinguished roadmray55 is on a distinguished roadmray55 is on a distinguished roadmray55 is on a distinguished road

Yep mine too it does it with the stock pipes and cycle shacks on. Just when its cold not the weather the bike. It is worse in cold weather it has quit twice on me at idle below 35 f.
Old 27th January 2008

2007Low is a name known to all2007Low is a name known to all2007Low is a name known to all2007Low is a name known to all2007Low is a name known to all2007Low is a name known to all2007Low is a name known to all2007Low is a name known to all2007Low is a name known to all2007Low is a name known to all2007Low is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by mray55 View Post
Yep mine too it does it with the stock pipes and cycle shacks on. Just when its cold not the weather the bike. It is worse in cold weather it has quit twice on me at idle below 35 f.
Hey thanks for responding, I'm going back to the dealer in about two weeks so I hope everyone else that has this problem will respond also. When I take the bike back to them, I hope to have a long list of respondents right here to show them how many FI Sportsters are experiencing the same fault.
Old 27th January 2008
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: Nightster
liddown is on a distinguished roadliddown is on a distinguished roadliddown is on a distinguished roadliddown is on a distinguished road

07 1200N.... Mine will have a complete miss when first started does not have to be cold outside... It might do it once, or it might hit three or four times.. After a few minutes it is fine....
Old 28th January 2008
Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200 Low
CrazyDave has disabled reputation

07 1200L. Stalls when warming up in temps under 45
Old 28th January 2008
Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883Slammed
Sportster/Buell Year: 1998
redneck-rider will become famous soon enoughredneck-rider will become famous soon enoughredneck-rider will become famous soon enoughredneck-rider will become famous soon enoughredneck-rider will become famous soon enoughredneck-rider will become famous soon enoughredneck-rider will become famous soon enoughredneck-rider will become famous soon enough

Well I do hope you all can get harley to fix this issue, thank god I have an 02 carb bike...good luck to you all !!!
Old 28th January 2008
Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL standard 883/1200 conv
Bill2 has disabled reputation

That's just how hd has been setting the bikes up so lean to meet the ever tightening EPA standards. Its been going on for years now, starting with things like they quit putting in adjustable needles in carberators. Next they sealed up the air/fuel adjustment screw so you could no longer richen up the slow speed circuit with it. Of course there where jet kits starting to flood bike magazines so you could get the carb models tuned to a state where they did'nt stumble off idle or anywhere else. They got infamous for backfiring through the carburetor. I ran into a guy that even traded in a almost new sportster because of that factory lean tuning because he just thought it was some sort of defect, not knowing larger jets could fix it. Now '07 and up sportsters with the fuel injection are almost in the same boat as far being set up lean from the factory. The fi models are set up a little better. Their richer in the idle circuit than the carb models but their far from "just right". They too can benefit from better tuning with all the fuelers that are now flooding the market. There must be at least six or more out already, like the Dyna jet power commander, daytona twintec controler,vance&Hines fuel pak, the terry "alpha n" management system, thundermax auto-tune, and even drag specialties has one out too. Its just hd trying to keep air cooled engines around as long as possible but the epa is slowly winning the battle. H2o is getting closer! Look at it this way at least we can still retune them and then they will run smooth as ever!
'05 Standard 883/1200 touring conversion with: '07 XB heads with 8.8:1 c/r, dragtron II a/c, Caliber 2into1 five step header, rejetted to: 46pilotjet @ two turns,needle clip on 4th groove,185 main jet,twin tech high performance ignition, 30 tooth trans pulley, jagg oil cooler, forward controls, pullback type handle bars,memphis fats windshield, Corbin classic solo seat with back rest, 10" pillion pad, black progressive 412 shocks 12.5" H-D springs, progressive fork springs, vista cruise control, and relocated ignition & coil to a stainless steel home brewed mount between the cylinders. (Temp. runs around 165-180 degrees in town and 180- 210 degrees on the freeway running 70-90mph and it uses no oil in between 3000 mile changes.) GPS calibrated speedometer.
Sponsored Links
Old 29th January 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill2 View Post
That's just how hd has been setting the bikes up so lean to meet the ever tightening EPA standards. Its been going on for years now, starting with things like they quit putting in adjustable needles in carberators. Next they sealed up the air/fuel adjustment screw so you could no longer richen up the slow speed circuit with it. Of course there where jet kits starting to flood bike magazines so you could get the carb models tuned to a state where they did'nt stumble off idle or anywhere else. They got infamous for backfiring through the carburetor. I ran into a guy that even traded in a almost new sportster because of that factory lean tuning because he just thought it was some sort of defect, not knowing larger jets could fix it. Now '07 and up sportsters with the fuel injection are almost in the same boat as far being set up lean from the factory. The fi models are set up a little better. Their richer in the idle circuit than the carb models but their far from "just right". They too can benefit from better tuning with all the fuelers that are now flooding the market. There must be at least six or more out already, like the Dyna jet power commander, daytona twintec controler,vance&Hines fuel pak, the terry "alpha n" management system, thundermax auto-tune, and even drag specialties has one out too. Its just hd trying to keep air cooled engines around as long as possible but the epa is slowly winning the battle. H2o is getting closer! Look at it this way at least we can still retune them and then they will run smooth as ever!
I understand what you're saying about gradually getting leaner, but I think this problem may be the opposite, at least I think mine is. It seems to be over rich during warm up, if you watch closely it is actually smoking a little black during the first couple minutes. Well anyway I'm hoping to get as many FI Sportster riders to respond if they've had these same symptoms. Thanks for your input.