The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE FORUM > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > EFI Sportster Motorcycle Talk (2007 and up)
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Notices

EFI Sportster Motorcycle Talk (2007 and up) For 2007 and above Sportsters

Active Threads
0 03 xlh 88"
Last Post: jkinkade
Posted On: 5 Minutes Ago
Replies: 50
Views: 1,417
0 Quick and probably stupid question
Last Post: 1HD4CJM1X4K
Posted On: 9 Minutes Ago
Replies: 3
Views: 59
0 Hello everyone!
Last Post: jharback
Posted On: 13 Minutes Ago
Replies: 13
Views: 86
0 Straight 1" risers on 1200c
Last Post: DF-SLICK
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 15
Views: 304
5 Jiffy Standing
Last Post: WI_duker
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 5
Views: 483
3 Ironhead Pictures Thread
Last Post: sdsbassist
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 1,970
Views: 772,828
0 New England 2018
Last Post: The Crusher
Replies: 284
Views: 15,468
4 What is the best CCW? Glock? S&W? Sig?
Last Post: ed_in_az
Replies: 1
Views: 47
0 Who is at fault here? (WARNING - GRAPHIC!)
Last Post: Folkie
Replies: 146
Views: 32,501
0 Lets see your off season builds
Last Post: madnss
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 1,139
Views: 124,155
0 How many Keith Black Conversions?
Last Post: madnss
Replies: 2
Views: 190
0 This Mikuni vm38-9 is driving me insane
Last Post: SHAKY DAVE
Replies: 51
Views: 2,947
8 Drinking and Riding!!!
Last Post: Akdawg
Replies: 154
Views: 27,843
0 I've been getting some revenge.
Last Post: Knuckles
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 7
Views: 160
0 Woulda, shoulda, coulda...engine guards
Last Post: spitfirechopper
Views: 60
0 Thinking about restoring my '65 XLCH forks to stock
Last Post: Tyler Lillie
Replies: 19
Views: 531
0 Sportster magneto
Last Post: Tator
Replies: 0
Views: 26
0 Chardhin moved to Pennsylvania!
Last Post: wandrur
Replies: 6
Views: 93
0 Metal Polishing
Last Post: Akdawg
Replies: 27
Views: 1,444
0 primary and gear case cover paint.
Last Post: Lone Rider
Replies: 2
Views: 108
0 Those little ways to personalize your bike...
Last Post: IXL2Relax
Replies: 6
Views: 335
0 Got New Bike - 2002 Sportster Project
Last Post: IXL2Relax
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Replies: 17
Views: 399
10 Is it important to brush your teeth?
Last Post: Medicalweed
Replies: 5
Views: 136
0 Do you blip the throttle when downshifting?
Last Post: Toejam503
Replies: 442
Views: 64,632
0 If the shoe fits...
Last Post: Hippysmack
Posted On: 6 Hours Ago
Views: 58
0 How many helmets?
Last Post: Bone
Posted On: 6 Hours Ago
Replies: 197
Views: 27,594
0 burrs & grooves in clutch basket
Last Post: sportsterpaul
Posted On: 7 Hours Ago
Replies: 46
Views: 1,325
0 Brake fails - what then
Last Post: ChinCactus
Replies: 34
Views: 1,500
0 A Guide For Cold Weather Motorcycle Riding
Last Post: Henry007
Replies: 53
Views: 29,473
0 Official XL Forum Random Image Thread (NO NUDITY!)
Last Post: rubine
Posted On: 8 Hours Ago
Replies: 42,004
Views: 6,500,527
More...
Members Birthdays
Sponsored Links

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19th June 2018
Drag Race Champion

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1974
darwin-t has a spectacular aura aboutdarwin-t has a spectacular aura aboutdarwin-t has a spectacular aura aboutdarwin-t has a spectacular aura aboutdarwin-t has a spectacular aura aboutdarwin-t has a spectacular aura aboutdarwin-t has a spectacular aura aboutdarwin-t has a spectacular aura about

I thought I had it fixed. I figured out how to bypass the security system by bending up a pin on each of those relays in the fuse box. I connected them to ground. The ECM and TSSM grounds those pins when the security is clear, which activates the coil in the relay and that closes the switches. One is for the starter and the other is for the fuel pump. It cranks and starts, but it won't stay running. The fuel pump runs, but never shuts off. I wonder if it isn't actually pumping any gas...

I can't see why it isn't working unless the ECM has another signal that does something else. I'll look at the pinouts and see if I can figure anything else out.
Old 19th June 2018
Subscribing Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: XL 1200 C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
Toejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond repute

TSSM Security Module Resetting Procedure.

For 2001 and up Harley Davidsons with TSSM Security Module, (key icon displays when key is turned to ignition position)

if your security light stays on for a prolonged period of time, if you have changed your battery or disconnected your battery when fitting components such as LED turns & if you have fitted LED turns without a load equalizer, you will need to reprogram your OEM Module.

text in red below step procedure is confirmation of action, always wait for confirmation before hitting the next step:

step # 1. move handle bar kill switch to off position

step # 2. turn your ignition key: on-off, on-off then on

step # 3. hit the left turn signal twice.
your turn signals and indicator light will flash 1 - 3 flashes

step # 4. hit the right turn signal once.
turn signals and indicator light will flash once.

step # 5. hit the right turn signal once.
turn and indicator signals will flash twice.

step # 6. hit right turn signal once.
turn and indicator signals will flash three times.

step # 7. hit left turn signal once.
turn and indicator signals flash to indicate error code
(see error code thread)

step # 8. to now clear codes, hit left turn signal and hold down for 6 seconds until confirmation.
turn and indicator signals flash twice.

step # 9. turn the ign switch to off

Thats it, TSSM is now reset and ready to roll

Try this and if it doesn't work I have another procedure to try, good luck
Old 19th June 2018
Subscribing Biker

Toejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond repute

Harley ECM Password Learn

Harley ECM Password Learn Procedure
When installing a new ignition or ECM on a security-equipped Harley there is a “Password Learn” procedure that must be performed. This applies to all Twin Cam and V-Rod models with factory security but may also apply to Twin Cam’s with EFI. The TSM/TSSM and ECM have “learned” passwords that synchronize the control module with several other components. Once you remove a component from this chain the module shuts down and won’t start. This is reported to only occur with EFI models but the new 2004 carbureted models demonstrate the same shut-down when changing the ignition module. Once you have installed the ignition module and reconnected the battery, perform the starting sequence as normal. The engine will cough once in an effort to start but will fail when the module shuts off the fuel. Special Note: During the Password Learning procedure the ignition will remain in the “On” position for an extended period of time (30+ minutes). While “On”, power is supplied to the headlight thus draining the battery. If the battery charge drops below a certain level during the Password Learn procedure the process will cease and you will have to start over. To avoid this connect a trickle charger to the battery throughout the procedure. Download the Password Learn procedure in PDF for printing.
Step Action Confirmation Notes
1 Set Run switch to Run – –
2 Turn Ignition key On-Off-On-Off-On-Off-On and then toggle the Left Turn Signal switch twice. – –
3 Turn Ignition key Off-On Verify the Check Engine lamp and Security Lamp illuminate briefly and then turn off. Security lamp will not illuminate on non-security (TSM) Twin Cam models.
4 Attempt normal start one time. Engine starts and stalls immediately. check engine lamp stays on. Password has not been learned and sets trouble code P1009, thus stopping fuel flow.
5 Wait 10 seconds Security Lamp remains lit for V-Rod and TC88 with TSSM. Lamp will not be on for TC88 TSM models. ECM enters Password Learning mode for 10 minutes. Do Not cycle the ignition or disrupt power.
6 Wait until Security Lamp turns off or a minimum of 10 minutes has passed. – –
7 Quickly (within 2 seconds) turn Ignition key OFF-ON Security Lamp remains lit for V-Rod and TC88 with TSSM. Lamp will not be on for TC88 TSM models. –
8 Wait until Security Lamp turns off or a minimum of 10 minutes has passed. – Password Learning mode for 10 minutes. Do Not cycle the ignition or disrupt power.
9 Quickly (within 2 seconds) turn Ignition key OFF-ON Security Lamp remains lit for V-Rod and TC88 with TSSM. Lamp will not be on for TC88 TSM models. –
10 Wait until Security Lamp turns off or a minimum of 10 minutes has passed. – Password Learning mode for 10 minutes. Do Not cycle the ignition or disrupt power.
11 Quickly (within 2 seconds) turn Ignition key OFF-ON Security Lamp light and then turn off. Lamp will not be on for TC88 TSM models. –
12 Turn Ignition switch OFF . Wait 15 seconds. Turn Ignition switch ON and start engine to confirm the Password Learn Procedure is successful. Engine will start and remain running. If engine immediately stalls and fails to restart the procedure was not successful. Start over at step 1. –
The above steps must be timed and performed exactly as described. Any deviation will require you to start again from step 1.

View printable copy of Password Learn procedure. Enjoy the Ride!

Share on: Twitter, Facebook, Delicious | Permalink

Articles

Here is the other procedure. Put your pins back the way they were first.
Old 19th June 2018
Drag Race Champion

darwin-t has a spectacular aura aboutdarwin-t has a spectacular aura aboutdarwin-t has a spectacular aura aboutdarwin-t has a spectacular aura aboutdarwin-t has a spectacular aura aboutdarwin-t has a spectacular aura aboutdarwin-t has a spectacular aura aboutdarwin-t has a spectacular aura about

Unfortunately, neither one worked. I get no response at all, I both 20 or 30 times.

The turn signals don't work and I can't turn on the emergency flashers either.

A local shop has disabled the security on another Sportster so they have it now. They say it will be about 2 weeks before they can get to it. I'll update this when I hear from them.
Old 20th June 2018
Subscribing Biker

Well, let us know what was done, I'm sure their are a lot of folks who would like to eliminate the security feature on their bikes. A lot of people don't realize that all the modules on a vehicle work together or use one another to complete a task (i.e. left turn signal, starter, low beam headlamp). You remove one module and either nothing works, or something you wouldn't associate with the removed module doesn't work right.
Old 5th July 2018
Drag Race Champion

It is fixed!

After I bought it, I purchased an alarm for it, complete with a pager. In doing so, I replaced the security/turn signal module.

That new security/turn signal module went bad. The reason my original module did not work was because the second module was paired to the bike.

They put the original module in, programmed or paired it to the bike and that was it. $35.

When I was picking it up, I asked the guy "So it still has security, but no alarm, right?"

He said "I don't know if he programmed the security in or not. You can do it either way".

I no longer need a key fob! He programmed it without the security.

So I guess Harley dealerships or independent shops with a programmer can simply program the security away very easily. I'd be interested in hearing if they can do that or not.

Thanks for all of the help, everybody!