The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > EFI Sportster Motorcycle Talk (2007 and up)
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Notices

EFI Sportster Motorcycle Talk (2007 and up) For 2007 and above Sportsters

Active Threads
6 1973 Sporty - Starts, Runs Good, Stops...
Last Post: iNSaNeSHaNe
Posted On: 3 Minutes Ago
Replies: 16
Views: 452
0 2 Up Seat Recommendations
Last Post: jharback
Posted On: 5 Minutes Ago
Replies: 9
Views: 256
0 Dunlop elite 4's?
Posted On: 45 Minutes Ago
Replies: 24
Views: 4,544
0 C.O.B.B run west
Last Post: skien
Posted On: 49 Minutes Ago
Replies: 106
Views: 6,958
0 Honda Nostalgia
Last Post: felis
Posted On: 49 Minutes Ago
Replies: 13
Views: 460
0 2016 72
Last Post: 1up
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 0
Views: 9
0 New Photo Challenge: Show Us Your Bike Next to a Lighthouse!
Replies: 48
Views: 7,357
0 Thought my clutch went out or tranny, was front pulley
Last Post: leo310
Views: 24
0 Electronic jet kit
Last Post: Jason's Sporty
Replies: 1
Views: 63
0 2018 East Coast Meet & Greet
Last Post: BKB
Replies: 606
Views: 33,473
0 Mikuni Carb vs Easy Kit
Last Post: rocketmangb
Replies: 12
Views: 265
0 Primary/transmission synthetic oil
Last Post: XL Ed
Replies: 8
Views: 121
0 Hot Chicks on Hot Bikes
Last Post: West Texas Buffalo
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 8,959
Views: 1,261,835
0 How old are you?
Last Post: RandyMac
Replies: 188
Views: 13,105
0 Amazing without the windshield.
Last Post: ParrotHead
Replies: 178
Views: 22,077
0 Sturgis 2018
Last Post: the cowboy way
Views: 36
0 Plug wire question
Last Post: chris16371
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 2
Views: 60
0 Rebuilt solenoid now bike tries to start when I connect batt cable? Wtf?
Last Post: BrokenIron
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 6
Views: 128
0 Crusty's Travels
Last Post: cotton1
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Replies: 1,459
Views: 144,269
0 My take on the world ~ Photo by Trace
Last Post: Roosterman
Replies: 760
Views: 79,004
0 Any K model guys interested in cam regrinding?
Last Post: brucstoudt
Replies: 132
Views: 8,994
0 Big bore stroker - the beginning of a 10-year long build
Posted On: 6 Hours Ago
Replies: 691
Views: 58,504
0 Who can make a spare key?
Last Post: gravydog
Replies: 11
Views: 422
0 Turn signal failure
Last Post: slamtry
Replies: 61
Views: 1,749
0 Hottie of the day, no nudity.
Last Post: trainman
Replies: 7,003
Views: 498,947
0 Killer Instinct Unchained
Last Post: davixlrtt
Replies: 23
Views: 838
0 ‘68 XLCH...transmission
Posted On: 7 Hours Ago
Replies: 128
Views: 7,943
0 Solenoid plunger boot super important?
Last Post: Windtheropy
Replies: 4
Views: 125
0 Passenger floorboards and backrest questions
Last Post: chris16371
Replies: 17
Views: 361
0 Electronic jet kit tuner
Last Post: Nightster545
Views: 90
More...
Members Birthdays
Sponsored Links

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28th December 2006
Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: XL50 #870
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
rharrison356 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Setting up a HD Race Fueler: Stage 1 upgrade

I have experienced Stage 1 success with my EFI sporty using the Screamin’ Eagle Race Fueler (HD part 32173-07) or SERF. This post is to help first time users set up their SERF quickly.

First, why a SERF and not a remap? The cost is about the same, but the SERF allows you to “tune” the bike to your needs and modifications. You can lean out 10% or richen up to 40% for each rpm range. You can also change the crossover points and change the “accelerator pump” 0-100%. It is like having a parts-bin full of carb jets, but takes only seconds to change settings.

Downsides? The instructions for installation are OK, but my dealer was worthless when it came to setting this thing up. However, with the help of the Big Twin guys on another forum, I have dialed-in the SERF and am very pleased with the results. I hope my findings will encourage some additional tuning dialogue for those using a SERF or similar devices, such as the FuelPak.

Installation: The unit is plug into the existing wiring harness. Install the SERF (about the size of a lighter) on the battery bracket behind the battery cover using the enclosed Velcro. It fits perfect. Run a ground wire under the seat (the ground point to use is obvious). Run the wires in such a way as to ensure they do not touch the engine. The kit includes the ties to keep the installation neat and OEM appearing. The great thing about this kit is that it can be removed and no-one will know it was ever there!

Tuning: The dials (potentiometers or pots) on the SERF are oriented as follows.
| 1 |____| 2 |____| 3 |____
Red LED Yellow LED Green LED
| 4 |____| 5 |____| 6 |____

R = Red LED Low rpm range Y = Yellow LED Mid rpm range G = Green LED High rpm range

What each dial, or pot, does:
1 Low rpm range fuel adjuster ______ -10% to +40% fuel correction
2 Mid rpm range fuel adjuster ______ -10% to +40% fuel correction
3 High rpm range fuel adjuster _____ -10% to +40% fuel correction
4 Low to Mid rpm cutover range _____ 900 to 3500 rpm
5 Mid to High rpm cutover range ____ 4500 to 7100 rpm
6 Accelerator fuel enrichment _______ 0 to 100%

The dials are marked 0 to 10 0 = Fully Anti-Clockwise position on all dials 10 = Fully Clockwise position on all dials. For example Position 2 on Dials 1, 2 & 3 roughly equates to no fuel correction. My unit was factory set from 0 to 2, meaning the bike ran poorly before changing the settings. Do not worry about that, and once installed, go for a ride to warm the bike up to full operating temperature. Now, take off the battery cover, open the SERF using a very small Phillips screwdriver (the same one you will be using to adjust the pots) and let the fun begin.
Dial #____Position
Dial 1 ___ 3
Dial 2 ___ 3
Dial 3 ___ 4
Dial 4 ___ 3 - (Low to Mid rpm needs to be set at around 2000 rpm which is about setting 3) \
Dial 5 ___ 0 - (Mid to High rpm needs to be set to 4500 rpm which is 0 on the dial)
Dial 6 ___ 5

Now, Take it for a short ride. Better, eh? Actually, it should be much better.

Now, for the REAL fun. Fine Tuning.
Dial 1: Start the engine up and slowly increase the rpm until the red led goes out (about 2000rpm) and the yellow led comes on then bring it down a bit until the led's swap back over and we have the red one lit again. You need to hold this rpm really steady (now you can finally use that throttle lock on the handle bar). Now very slowly increase dial 1 (clockwise), the engine should start to speed up (if the yellow led comes on then set the throttle back a little so we are back on red). You will get to a point where the rpm no longer rises and then you can turn the dial back down to a point where the rpm just starts to reduce. On mine, this was about setting 4.5

Dial 2: Now we do the same again but at about 4500 rpm. So this time we raise the rpm until the green (third) led comes on and then throttle back very slowly until it goes out and the yellow led comes back on. Then we slowly increase dial 2 until the engine no longer increases in speed and then dial it back slightly. On mine, this was about 3. For both dials one and two you are looking for the point where the engine runs fastest and smoothest with the dials set as low as possible. Since I did this outside, on a cool night with a nice breeze, my oil temp was only 190 and did not rise. If it is a hot day, let the bike cool or use a large fan on the engine. It was noted on the other forum that when adjusting the SERF, if the engine gets too hot the EFI will run slightly richer to compensate and thus will mess with your results.

Dial 3: This is the hardest to set up manually (not on a dyno). However, unless you are taking the bike above 4500 rpm a lot you won't need to worry. The only way to set this is to get the bike pulling hard above 4500 and the increase the dial a bit at a time until it runs about right. I set dial 3 to position 5 and that gave me a flawless transition. Probably hard on fuel economy, but hey, I seldom run up here unless I need to pass a car or just want to have fun.

Dial 4 & 5: Need no further adjusting.

Dial 6: This is set by blipping the throttle open from idle. If the engine hesitates before picking up, you need to increase the setting on the dial. Eventually you find a point where the engine responds straight away and there is no stutter. When you find this point, stop, as you want to keep the setting as low as you can without the hesitation. I settled on 3, but will play with this a little more.

Finally, if you have popping exhaust on deceleration, add ½ turn to the rpm range (dial 1, 2 or 3) where the popping exists. I was able to eliminate the popping, and the stage 1 conversion has really livened up my Sporty.
07 XL-50 #870 Stage 1
06 VRSCR "Hyper-fast Touring"
Kansas City Missouri
λεγει αυτω ο ιησους εγω ειμι η οδος και η αληθεια και η ζωη ουδεις ερχεται προς τον πατερα ει μη δι εμου John 14:6

Last edited by rharrison356; 28th December 2006 at 02:10.. Reason: typos
Old 28th December 2006
I think I like Sportsters

Sportster/Buell Model: 883L (sorta) & a 1200R
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 1200CX
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2016
Other Motorcycle Model: XR1200X
Other Motorcycle Year: 2012
Screw Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks! That's a lot of good information. I'm still riding around without an remapping/adjustment, but I know the time will come...

Maybe a moderator can make this a sticky?
2012 - XR1200X (XR)
2016 - 1200CX Roadster (new one)
2007 - 883L/90" -current project - (Black bike)
Old 28th December 2006
Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster 883/1250 Stage3
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Buell S1 White Lightning
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1998
Other Motorcycle Model: BMW K1300S
Other Motorcycle Year: 2009
cjburr is just really nicecjburr is just really nicecjburr is just really nicecjburr is just really nicecjburr is just really nicecjburr is just really nicecjburr is just really nicecjburr is just really nicecjburr is just really nicecjburr is just really nicecjburr is just really nice

That's definitely sticky material, great info rharrison356. I'm sure the F/I guys will be in your debt for this one. Probably be just like Stevo's Jetting 101 for us carb guys and gals.
Old 28th December 2006
Master Mechanic

Thanks for the kind words.
Quote:
Originally Posted by drcstang
I'm still riding around without an remapping/adjustment, but I know the time will come...
I hope this information will be helpful. If you decide to be the first 883 owner on the forum to use the SERF, let me know if I can help. I would think the 883 would respond well to Stage 1 upgrades (or a 1200 kit w/upgrades). One nice thing about the SERF is that it can be adjusted as you do upgrades. Stage 1 (exhuast/intake), cam and ignition changes, 883-1200 conversion,etc...

As a note, the SERF costs $224 from the dealer, or $179 from the dealers who offer 20% off. This makes it comparable in cost to what many dealers charge for a remap.
Old 28th December 2006
Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: XL50
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL50 Anniversary Edition
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2007
Other Motorcycle Model: 2007 FLHX
sportin_2007 is on a distinguished roadsportin_2007 is on a distinguished road

Great info and I agree it would make a great sticky. Now for my other question? What about your setting this up on the dyno? I thought you were going to run this to determine what your power and torque pick ups were and what gains were to be determined by the stage 1 with the remapping of the fuel vs stock fueling? Curious to know why you didn't run this and tune it on the dyno as you had planned?
2009 FLHX Streetglide 113"
Old 28th December 2006
Master Mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportin_2007
Great info and I agree it would make a great sticky. Now for my other question? What about your setting this up on the dyno? I thought you were going to run this to determine what your power and torque pick ups were and what gains were to be determined by the stage 1 with the remapping of the fuel vs stock fueling? Curious to know why you didn't run this and tune it on the dyno as you had planned?
I am still planning to dyno the bike next week. However, most members of the forum will not be dyno testing each upgrade. Seeing that the SERF is a popular stage 1 option with the big-twin riders, my goal for this post was to help those who want a performance option that does not require going to the dealer for a remap or SERF/SERT tuning. With what I have learned, the SERF is a viable option for the DIY'er. In time, I believe I could dial it in even better, as even a 1/2 turn on a dial can make a significant a difference. Since it only takes about 3 minutes to take off the battery cover, open the SERF, change the dial, run the bike through the gears decide if the changes helped or hindered, the SERF is a fantastic tuning option. The hardest part was not having clear instructions on how to set the SERF up in the first place. My dealer said, and I quote, "It's set up close right out of the box." No way...it was not even close out of the box. Plus, the instructions do not tell you anywhere near enough to have confidence using the SERF for the first time.

After the bike is dyno tested, I will be able to compare the dyno specs to my seat-of-the-pants dyno. Be assured that I will post my results. I hope this answers your question. As noted, my goal is to encourage others who are exploring the HD Race Fueler EFI option make a good decision. For someone in the sticks (like where I used to live in Northern Minnesota) going to the dealer was not a viable option, whereas the SERF can be obtained by mail along with other stage 1 hardware. Thanks for the great question.
Old 10th January 2007
Senior Chief Know It All 2nd Class

Sportster/Buell Model: FatBob
Sportster/Buell Year: 2009
Sportster/Buell Model #2: all gone 1200R
Other Motorcycle Model: Honda ST1300;Goldwing1500
Other Motorcycle Year: 0407
doxbike is a glorious beacon of lightdoxbike is a glorious beacon of lightdoxbike is a glorious beacon of lightdoxbike is a glorious beacon of lightdoxbike is a glorious beacon of lightdoxbike is a glorious beacon of lightdoxbike is a glorious beacon of lightdoxbike is a glorious beacon of lightdoxbike is a glorious beacon of lightdoxbike is a glorious beacon of lightdoxbike is a glorious beacon of light
Default SERF after a dealer re-map?

Does having a dealer re-map affect the SERF settings ? Or do you have to go back to original before installing the Serf? I'd hate to have to pay them again. Wish I'd found your thread sooner. DAMN!
Also where in the battery box does the unit go? I tried to fit the V & H Fuelpak over the battery and couldn't get it to fit.

Finally I can't find the unit in the catalog or in HD's online catalog. Am I looking in the wrong area?

Thanks for your work.
Old 11th January 2007
I think I like Sportsters

Sportster/Buell Model: 883L (sorta) & a 1200R
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 1200CX
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2016
Other Motorcycle Model: XR1200X
Other Motorcycle Year: 2012
Screw Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by doxbike View Post
Finally I can't find the unit in the catalog or in HD's online catalog. Am I looking in the wrong area?
I can't answer most of your questions, but it is in the 2007 SE catalog, download from here. Listed on page 33 (Adobe lists it as pg 35), right under the Race Tuner.
Old 13th January 2007
Master Mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by doxbike View Post
Does having a dealer re-map affect the SERF settings ? Or do you have to go back to original before installing the Serf? I'd hate to have to pay them again. Wish I'd found your thread sooner. DAMN!
Also where in the battery box does the unit go? I tried to fit the V & H Fuelpak over the battery and couldn't get it to fit.

Thanks for your work.
It is HD part 32173-07. Do a google search and you will find them readily available from the dealers who offer a 20% discount as well. As for the remap, the SERF is an alternative to a remap, so it is not necessary.
Sponsored Links
Old 14th January 2007
Senior Chief Know It All 2nd Class

Sportster/Buell Model: FatBob
Sportster/Buell Year: 2009
Sportster/Buell Model #2: all gone 1200R
Other Motorcycle Model: Honda ST1300;Goldwing1500
Other Motorcycle Year: 0407
doxbike is a glorious beacon of lightdoxbike is a glorious beacon of lightdoxbike is a glorious beacon of lightdoxbike is a glorious beacon of lightdoxbike is a glorious beacon of lightdoxbike is a glorious beacon of lightdoxbike is a glorious beacon of lightdoxbike is a glorious beacon of lightdoxbike is a glorious beacon of lightdoxbike is a glorious beacon of lightdoxbike is a glorious beacon of light

I guess I didn't pose my question correctly. I already have had the re-map done after my stage 1. Can I still use the race fueler? Will I see/feel a drastic improvement or just a minor one over the currently installed re-map?

Thanks