The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE FORUM > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > EFI Sportster Motorcycle Talk (2007 and up)
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Notices

EFI Sportster Motorcycle Talk (2007 and up) For 2007 and above Sportsters

Active Threads
0 77 xlh pinging noise left side
Last Post: Beazer
Posted On: 2 Minutes Ago
Replies: 26
Views: 1,138
0 New T Shirts
Last Post: rocketmangb
Posted On: 18 Minutes Ago
Replies: 12
Views: 206
0 The Official New Forty Eight Thread
Last Post: Turbo Sporty 48
Posted On: 24 Minutes Ago
Replies: 1,842
Views: 892,339
0 Proposed clutch spring improvement0
Last Post: bustert
Posted On: 26 Minutes Ago
Replies: 13
Views: 337
0 What did you do for your sporty Today?
Last Post: jcn59
Posted On: 31 Minutes Ago
Replies: 5,392
Views: 608,708
0 How many miles do you have on your rubbermount?
Last Post: Toejam503
Posted On: 52 Minutes Ago
Replies: 393
Views: 72,976
0 Gravydog crashed again.
Posted On: 58 Minutes Ago
Replies: 53
Views: 1,384
0 19 inch mag wheel questions
Last Post: Hippysmack
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 1
Views: 31
0 Another poser sentenced
Last Post: Hippysmack
Replies: 2
Views: 909
0 13 3/8" Emulsion Shocks on Xl1200c
Last Post: Spokane2303
Replies: 14
Views: 369
0 BowlingGreen Fall races
Last Post: tigger
Replies: 1
Views: 26
0 New England 2018
Last Post: cotton1
Replies: 204
Views: 10,286
0 National Guard
Replies: 44
Views: 4,353
0 65 CH barn find/survivor
Last Post: DirtyHarry68
Replies: 115
Views: 21,348
0 Supertrapp 2:1 fit issue with Pics
Last Post: robbie202
Replies: 20
Views: 701
0 Clutch gone out of adjustment seems like a lot
Last Post: jordan1200
Replies: 19
Views: 193
0 Anyone go racing last weekend?
Last Post: cycowrencher
Replies: 2,810
Views: 255,970
0 Are you a Vet?
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 406
Views: 73,323
0 Carb + Rubbermount = Collector's Item?
Last Post: Wyo George
Replies: 175
Views: 27,632
14 Firearms you wish you owned.
Last Post: Wyo George
Replies: 490
Views: 75,465
5 1200 or 883
Last Post: Nibelungen
Replies: 988
Views: 294,486
0 Weekend at Jester's
Last Post: rocketmangb
Replies: 36
Views: 3,943
0 Seeking the plushest ride possible?
Last Post: Lone Rider
Replies: 8
Views: 247
5 Your worst car?
Last Post: ChinCactus
Replies: 218
Views: 23,944
0 Luggage rack for Tallboy seat equipped sporty
Last Post: Screw Loose Dan
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 2
Views: 135
0 My take on the world ~ Photo by Trace
Last Post: sportytrace
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 839
Views: 92,959
0 hello and help
Last Post: IronX
Replies: 8
Views: 183
0 Cams, what are the specs?
Last Post: sportytrace
Replies: 5
Views: 194
0 New from Pasco, Fl
Last Post: Prof Rene
Replies: 10
Views: 103
0 Roads I'd like to ride.
Last Post: Graywolf
Replies: 473
Views: 22,690
More...
Members Birthdays
PlanB, Cuco6924 (72), 1200sporty (61), iron68 (47), LifesHarlequin (34), mattosm (33)
Sponsored Links

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 4th April 2007
Land Speed Record

Sportster/Buell Model: FLSTN
Sportster/Buell Year: 2010
Crusin_w00kie is a glorious beacon of lightCrusin_w00kie is a glorious beacon of lightCrusin_w00kie is a glorious beacon of lightCrusin_w00kie is a glorious beacon of lightCrusin_w00kie is a glorious beacon of lightCrusin_w00kie is a glorious beacon of lightCrusin_w00kie is a glorious beacon of lightCrusin_w00kie is a glorious beacon of lightCrusin_w00kie is a glorious beacon of lightCrusin_w00kie is a glorious beacon of lightCrusin_w00kie is a glorious beacon of light

*woohoo, we're stickied now!!!!!!* *turns around, walks back out of room*
Old 12th April 2007
I think I like Sportsters

Sportster/Buell Model: 883L (sorta) & a 1200R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 1200CX
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2016
Other Motorcycle Model: XR1200X
Other Motorcycle Year: 2012
Screw Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond repute

Well, I haven't updated much here because for nearly the last week my bike has been at the mechanic's shop getting a new clutch put in. Although it cost me more money, I think it was a good sign the clutch was slipping. Means I was making significantly more hp then stock and more then I made with the SE Race Fueler. Now, I should really not say it like that. I think the bike is in better tune then I could achieve with the SERF.

Anyway, as the clutch started acting up I had been getting several codes thrown. One of the advantages of the TCFI is that it uses the same codes as the factory ECM. Makes troubleshooting a little easier because you can follow the factory service manual's troubleshooting flow charts. Two main areas that have been causing problem is the rear O2 sensor was showing that it wasn't working and the several CPK errors.

Tonight I worked on resolving the rear O2 sensor. It was actually rather simple to trouble shoot. A call to Chris at Daytona confirmed what I was thinking. So this is how I proceeded:
  1. First order of business was to check all the connections and verify they were tight. They were.
  2. Next was to check if the pins for the O2 sensors at the ECM/TCFI were showing the proper voltage (4.5 - 5 volts while engine "on" but not running). Well, first sign of a bad O2 sensor. The rear O2 pin was showing 0-0.5 volts, while the front was showing 4.8 volts.
  3. To eliminate as much of the wiring as possible I went back to the connection between the ECM connector and the WEGO unit (O2 sensor module). Same results there.
  4. To determine if it was the O2 sensor or WEGO unit, I swapped the connectors to the O2 sensors. That is plugging the rear O2 sensor into the front O2 sensor harness and vice versa. Ah ha! It clearly showed the issue was with the rear O2 sensor...well sorta.
So, I double checked the rear O2 sensor's connector. It has a harness that is actually hardwired to the O2 sensor itself. This harness plugs into the WEGO harness. I wiggled the wires, no change to the voltage. I gave the wires running into the deutsch connector a good tug. And low and behold...one of the wires pulled out of the connector.

Easy enough to fix. Simply soldered the wire into the deutsch connector pin and reassembled. Took it for a few mile spin and confirmed that everything was good. Running in closed loop again and getting reasonable AFR readings. YEA!

One problem solved. Now to trouble shoot the latest errors:

P0373 CKP Signal Lost Trips: 3
P0374 Cylinder ID Fault Trips: 1

For those not familiar, the trips actually indicate the number of starts of the engine since the last code was thrown (it's not a counter of how many times you have seen it). Troubleshooting these errors according to the FSM points to the crank position sensor. The FSM gives a bunch of steps to check the resistance of the CPS. I just picked up a new one and my first step will be to replace it since it has only one bolt that holds in place. Tomorrow nights project...
2012 - XR1200X (XR)
2016 - 1200CX Roadster (new one)
2007 - 883L/90" -current project - (Black bike)
Old 12th April 2007
Land Speed Record

Sportster/Buell Model: FLSTN
Sportster/Buell Year: 2010
Crusin_w00kie is a glorious beacon of lightCrusin_w00kie is a glorious beacon of lightCrusin_w00kie is a glorious beacon of lightCrusin_w00kie is a glorious beacon of lightCrusin_w00kie is a glorious beacon of lightCrusin_w00kie is a glorious beacon of lightCrusin_w00kie is a glorious beacon of lightCrusin_w00kie is a glorious beacon of lightCrusin_w00kie is a glorious beacon of lightCrusin_w00kie is a glorious beacon of lightCrusin_w00kie is a glorious beacon of light

Keep 'em coming!!! Work all the bugs out and see what this thing can do!
Old 12th April 2007

Screw Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, just got a postcard from the local dealer today. Next weekend they have a dyno special, $39.95. I'm hoping to have things mostly dialed in by then...
Old 16th April 2007
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH 1200 (sold)
Sportster/Buell Year: 1995
Other Motorcycle Model: H-D FLHRCI
Other Motorcycle Year: 2004
ChuckinPA will become famous soon enoughChuckinPA will become famous soon enoughChuckinPA will become famous soon enoughChuckinPA will become famous soon enoughChuckinPA will become famous soon enoughChuckinPA will become famous soon enoughChuckinPA will become famous soon enough
Default Update

Since a lot of this has been happening in my garage, I'll give a progress update.

We removed the CPS, hoping it was faulty. The new one, provided by the local dealer, didn't match part #'s with the factory installed CPS. Hmmmm. We broke out the multi-meter, the resistance on the new one was essentially the same as the old one. We passed a strong magnet over both of them, they acted the same. We installed the new one, hoping that there was some "mystery" problem with the original, despite all evidence pointing to the fact that it was ok.

It didn't help. The bike still is throwing the CPS (and related) errors. Next train of though it to adjust the starting sequence. The computer is currently set to try to fire the bike on the first revolution of the crank. We're thinking that adjusting it to wait until it sees the CPS trigger twice might be the next step.

ChuckinPA
Old 16th April 2007

Well...Chuck beat me to updating here...

To add to what Chuck said, the part number of the new CPS that we put on was actually the correct number (32707-01B) according to the parts book. I'm not sure what the part number is of the one we took off goes to (32712-06). Mysterious...

Also, after I left Chuck's place last night I took the long way home (he lives less then 5 miles away) and made a couple stops. It didn't throw any more errors...not saying it's fixed, but it was better then when I was in Chuck's driveway.

I think before I change any of the other settings, I will do a complete and thorough wiggle test of all the wires associated with the CPS.
Old 20th April 2007

Well, another quick update...I've gotten out for a few rides after work this week. The ECM seemingly throws the CPS errors only when doing a warm start. Cold starts seem to be ok. But damn near every time I stop for gas or smokes and hop back on the bike it throws the code "P0374 Cylinder ID Fault". Stopping and restarting almost never clears the issue. Interestingly, if I move the bike a few feet -> shut down -> wait 5 seconds -> restart, then I have no problems and no codes. Bike runs fine when no codes are thrown and it seems a little off if I try to run with the code thrown. Hmmm. To me it sounds like a bad connection somewhere (just not sure how the engine temperature plays apart). I should also note that the error is NEVER thrown while riding. It gets thrown within a few seconds of starting and the only way to clear it is to shut down and restart. I already replaced the CPS sensor and checked all the cables/connectors. I'm open to suggestions or criticisms.

Also, I got a RAM mount for my Palm today. This allows me to watch whats going on in REAL TIME while I ride! Pretty cool. Amazing what the MAP readings are as I cruise. Would have never guessed they were as low as they are except when REALLY getting on it. Most cruising it's around 13 - 18. Tonight the highest I noticed was ~ 25 WOT. Also, it's interesting to watch the AFR as I ride. Anyway, I'll try to get pictures up in the next day or two of the Palm mounted.

Again, any suggestions on the CPK/CPS errors I'm listening.

Thanks!
Old 22nd April 2007

Here's a picture of my Palm mounted on the handlebar via RAM mounts:

The Palm along with the TCFI allows me to see real time data, such as AFR, BLM, RPM, Engine Temp, Intake Air Temp, Ignition Advance, MAP, and a few others I can't think of right now.

Also, I got my bike run on the dyno today. I was somewhat happy with the results. The AFR during the run was right were I expected, so that's good. The bike wasn't fully warmed up for the run, so I suspect the numbers are a little low. You read more about it here.
Sponsored Links
Old 2nd May 2007

Well, I've been doing lots of tuning here recently. After my dyno run and all the pinging on the way to the NJ XLF ride, I knew I had some tweaking.

Talked to Dan at NRHS last week about everything. He felt I needed to lean the mixture and retard the timing. He explained I'm running around (or slightly over) 10.5:1 compression. Turbota's ignition map was definitely too advanced. I converted the SERT stage 1 ignition map to work in the TCFI's map. The SERT reads in kPa and TCFI's reads in In-Hg. Some simple conversions and I was set. The SERT map was definately more mild then the previous map I was using. Also, something I found interesting was that the SERT has settings for down to 5" Hg, where the TCFI's lowest MAP setting is at 16" Hg. I don't think it matters, just found it interesting. I'm still getting a little pinging, but it's much improved. I'm still tweaking, but getting real close I think.

I had been running an AFR of 12.8 during heavy throttle above 2000 RPM's. Dan suggested I get much closer to 14.1. So, I changed this to 13.8. Also, running that rich was probably causing me to mask some of the ignition issues. 13.8 seemed like a good number and I wanted to be on the rich side vs. the lean side.

Still having the CPS error codes. Still have no ideas... just randomly throws a code right after start-up and when it's warm (engine). Otherwise runs fine. Already tried a replacement CPS. I have another on order.

Both running lean and too much timing were probably causing a significant loss in power (Dan/NRHS's opinion). So, I'm getting close to having her dialed in.
Old 28th June 2007
Senior Chief Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster XL1430R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Yammy-Ha wr250x
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2010
Other Motorcycle Model: Kawi-socky KX450F
Other Motorcycle Year: 2009
smackie is a name known to allsmackie is a name known to allsmackie is a name known to allsmackie is a name known to allsmackie is a name known to allsmackie is a name known to allsmackie is a name known to allsmackie is a name known to allsmackie is a name known to allsmackie is a name known to allsmackie is a name known to all

any updates
2005 XL1200R "The Road Runner"-NRHS Stage 3 heads 88 kit Mikuni 45 SE 575 RB 2-1 pipe tc88a w/custom map Hurricane 3" intake RB AFR Gauge Progressive Front/rear springs/shocks fork brace intiminators metzlers hurricane oil filter steel brake lines golan petcock badlander seat.... the "Death trap" custom is being built