The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE FORUM > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > EFI Sportster Motorcycle Talk (2007 and up)
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Notices

EFI Sportster Motorcycle Talk (2007 and up) For 2007 and above Sportsters

Active Threads
0 burrs & grooves in clutch basket
Last Post: jkinkade
Posted On: 1 Minute Ago
Replies: 13
Views: 523
0 Can a dirt bike keep up?
Last Post: 1HD4CJM1X4K
Posted On: 3 Minutes Ago
Replies: 0
Views: 1
0 This is gonna hurt.
Last Post: rubine
Posted On: 21 Minutes Ago
Replies: 7,558
Views: 1,416,062
0 inlet rubber band available by the meter?
Last Post: eddie XLX
Posted On: 33 Minutes Ago
Replies: 18
Views: 627
0 Howdy from Baytown, TX
Last Post: juzyHD
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 2
Views: 28
0 Building a dragbike 101
Last Post: the cowboy way
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 5
Views: 258
0 How stock is your bike
Last Post: SLW210
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 137
Views: 28,521
0 Mixture screw has no effect. Need help!
Last Post: Big Al
Replies: 16
Views: 433
0 Have I got my cam gears lined up right?
Last Post: doodah man
Replies: 11
Views: 236
0 IronHead Wire Diagrams Etc
Last Post: ryder rick
Replies: 48
Views: 34,803
0 modifying to metal oil tank.
Last Post: Grumpy-Biker
Replies: 9
Views: 387
0 Who's still riding???
Last Post: IronMick
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 31
Views: 704
0 What did you do for your sporty Today?
Last Post: dodgetrucken
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Replies: 5,493
Views: 636,073
0 Seat Poll - Bad Ass or Fat Ass
Last Post: Glamazon
Replies: 37
Views: 11,806
0 Memphis Shades Rio Grande & Trigger Lock
Last Post: jswhite
Replies: 5
Views: 131
14 How To: View HD Part #'s 1991-2010 - All Models - With Part #'s and Exploded Views!!
Last Post: shanneba
Replies: 84
Views: 59,518
6 Is Your SPORTSTER...
Last Post: Sportycus
Posted On: 6 Hours Ago
Replies: 9
Views: 1,368
5 Your stomping grounds
Last Post: sportsterpaul
Replies: 238
Views: 27,801
0 To lay it down or not?
Last Post: IXL2Relax
Replies: 166
Views: 18,707
0 FLH saddlebags on Easy Brackets
Last Post: Hippysmack
Replies: 1
Views: 60
0 How many amps does a 2003 XB charging system create?
Last Post: IXL2Relax
Posted On: 7 Hours Ago
Replies: 3
Views: 126
0 Spokes and dual disc
Last Post: PetesPonies
Replies: 6
Views: 160
0 Hot Chicks on Hot Bikes
Last Post: Stairman
Replies: 9,322
Views: 1,443,251
0 Those little ways to personalize your bike...
Last Post: Jollly Rogers
Posted On: 8 Hours Ago
Replies: 1
Views: 187
0 New Tires>Fallaway>Deale r>?
Last Post: ed_in_az
Posted On: 8 Hours Ago
Replies: 33
Views: 2,034
0 When Were You Born?
Last Post: MacSporty02
Posted On: 9 Hours Ago
Replies: 319
Views: 75,187
0 Cracked exhaust bracket short shots
Last Post: newroadster
Replies: 2
Views: 81
0 Early/Late 73 case date code
Last Post: brucstoudt
Replies: 13
Views: 582
0 seat bolt
Last Post: brucstoudt
Replies: 8
Views: 340
0 Gravydog crashed again.
Last Post: gravydog
Posted On: 10 Hours Ago
Replies: 120
Views: 7,293
More...
Members Birthdays
Sponsored Links

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16th July 2007
No Posts

XLFREAK is an unknown quantity at this point

I've always just used the key to turn the bike on and off per the dealers instructions to me when I picked up the bike... never heard the sound you speak of.. the only thing I do when starting the bike is wait for the fuel pump to stop before hitting the start switch .. so far so good .. no problems

another difference is that I always leave the key in the bike in the garage with a battery tender hooked up.
Old 16th July 2007
Senior Chief Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883L
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
unfiguroutable is a jewel in the roughunfiguroutable is a jewel in the roughunfiguroutable is a jewel in the roughunfiguroutable is a jewel in the roughunfiguroutable is a jewel in the roughunfiguroutable is a jewel in the roughunfiguroutable is a jewel in the roughunfiguroutable is a jewel in the roughunfiguroutable is a jewel in the roughunfiguroutable is a jewel in the roughunfiguroutable is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by bell883c View Post
Why Harley made it this way is beyond me,
the fuel/ignition circuit is separate from the ACC (lights) for saftey reasons. If you kill switch shut off our bike in an emergency you still need to be able to see and be seen. as far as the OP question sorry I got no clue.
Old 16th July 2007
Drag Race Champion

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200 Roadster
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
Goshawk is on a distinguished roadGoshawk is on a distinguished roadGoshawk is on a distinguished roadGoshawk is on a distinguished road

No help but my bike does not make the noise you describe. I also use the kill switch as the dealer instructed except when I forget. The only noise it makes is when I turn it to run and it sounds like gas being pumped in.
Old 17th July 2007
Land Speed Record

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200 Sportster C
DG_Sportster is a splendid one to beholdDG_Sportster is a splendid one to beholdDG_Sportster is a splendid one to beholdDG_Sportster is a splendid one to beholdDG_Sportster is a splendid one to beholdDG_Sportster is a splendid one to beholdDG_Sportster is a splendid one to beholdDG_Sportster is a splendid one to beholdDG_Sportster is a splendid one to beholdDG_Sportster is a splendid one to beholdDG_Sportster is a splendid one to behold

Interesting that no one but me has heard the noise when shutting the bike off...

Maybe it's not normal!

I'm going to talk to the dealer today, and maybe i'll get some info.
Old 17th July 2007
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200 custom
jnims67 is an unknown quantity at this point

DG Sporster.....You are not crazy!!! This is a REAL problem. I have a '07 XLC 1200. I bought it in Sept. of '07. I had less than 200 miles on her when My battery went dead. Called the stealer and they told me to come up and get a new battery. Installed new battery and went for a bout a 20 mile ride. Put her in the garage and went about my day. That night when I went into the garage, I heard what sounded like a kitten purring. It was coming from my sporty. After investigation it appeared to be coming from somewhere under the furl tank. No key in the ignition, and I always use the kill switch and then the key. I had to disconnect the battery to make it stop. This is what was killing my battery obviously. I took it up the the stealer the next day. It was in the shop for 3 days. They couldn't hear any noise and refused to do anything about it. I had to call Harey direct. I told harley that i wanted either the ignition changed or the relay block. With much regret the stealer did change out the relay block and the problem hasn't returned since. I have been trying to find someone else with this problem just to satisfy my curiousity and make me feel not so crazy. I am sure we are not the only 2 people that have experienced this.
Old 17th July 2007
Biker

Moved On is an unknown quantity at this point

Seems like I've heard a few folks say they've had "battery issues" with EFI sportys. This thread should be made sticky.

Gazza
Old 17th July 2007
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: 883C
Saddlesore is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrishajer View Post
You had me up until "idiot mechanics at the dealer."

Good luck with your problem.

-Chris

Yes,
I'm sure that there are NO idiot mechanics at ANY HD dealer...
Old 17th July 2007
Land Speed Record

DG_Sportster is a splendid one to beholdDG_Sportster is a splendid one to beholdDG_Sportster is a splendid one to beholdDG_Sportster is a splendid one to beholdDG_Sportster is a splendid one to beholdDG_Sportster is a splendid one to beholdDG_Sportster is a splendid one to beholdDG_Sportster is a splendid one to beholdDG_Sportster is a splendid one to beholdDG_Sportster is a splendid one to beholdDG_Sportster is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnims67 View Post
DG Sporster.....You are not crazy!!! This is a REAL problem. I have a '07 XLC 1200. I bought it in Sept. of '07. I had less than 200 miles on her when My battery went dead. Called the stealer and they told me to come up and get a new battery. Installed new battery and went for a bout a 20 mile ride. Put her in the garage and went about my day. That night when I went into the garage, I heard what sounded like a kitten purring. It was coming from my sporty. After investigation it appeared to be coming from somewhere under the furl tank. No key in the ignition, and I always use the kill switch and then the key. I had to disconnect the battery to make it stop. This is what was killing my battery obviously. I took it up the the stealer the next day. It was in the shop for 3 days. They couldn't hear any noise and refused to do anything about it. I had to call Harey direct. I told harley that i wanted either the ignition changed or the relay block. With much regret the stealer did change out the relay block and the problem hasn't returned since. I have been trying to find someone else with this problem just to satisfy my curiousity and make me feel not so crazy. I am sure we are not the only 2 people that have experienced this.
YES!!! Finally some confirmation....

What was wrong with your fuse block?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saddlesore View Post
Yes,
I'm sure that there are NO idiot mechanics at ANY HD dealer...
You said it!

Chris: Sorry if i offended you. If you are a competent tech, who truly knows that being a mechanic is NOT the same as knowing how to follow steps in a service manual, then i salute you. Unfortunately, your a rare breed. Would you care to move to NC?
Sponsored Links
Old 17th July 2007
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200 custom
jnims67 is an unknown quantity at this point

DG Sportster....Not sure what was wrong with the relay...they removed mine and get this....put it on a Strret Bob to see if it happened on that bike. I never heard anything else from them about it. I was just pissed that they didn't believe me and were going to do nothing about it. They even went as far as to say " just put a battery tender on it every night". That was when I really blew my cork on them!!! The one thing that I can say is it has to be either the relay or the igniton. On mine the relay change seems to have fixed it. I was really wanting them to change the ignition first, since one would think the power would flow through the igniton first.
Old 18th July 2007
Land Speed Record

I have a bit of a theory...

These issues seem to be related to washing the bike ( i also found a post at HD forums about a Dyna doing the same thing after a wash ). Mine had been washed about 2 days prior, but i can't say for sure how long the IAC event had been going on before i caught it...and the relay tapping i did seems to have stopped it, it hasn't done this in 3 days now.

My fuse box had corrosion that looked like chalk, and literally had a oxidation path between two or three of the blades on the system relay. I assume this corrosion came from washing the bike, as the battery appears to look like new. Keep in mind that this is a month and a half old bike..... in my opinion the MoCo did a fairly crappy job of protecting the the panel from the elements.

Is it plausible that some stray current is finding it's way into the unswitched side of the harness through this corrosion, and that the cycling is actually the ECM attempting to energize the various circiuts, which immediately overloads the corrosion "path", causing the ECM to shut back down, and cycle the IAC to "park" ( as it's called in the service manual ), and then the whole thing repeats?

I had thought about not cleaning up the fusebox just to make this get fixed by the dealer. Then i remembered that the same fuse box would be installed, and would likely do it again in a few months. So i've decided to clean up the corrosion with electrical cleaner, and use dielectric grease on the relay tabs to stop it from returning. After that, all i can do is wait and see what happens.

I do have to wonder how much the service life of my IAC has been shortened by all this....

Updates when they come.
Thanks to all of you!