The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE FORUM > Sportster Motorcycle General Discussion and Problems
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Notices

Sportster Motorcycle General Discussion and Problems For discussing problems about your Sportster motorcycle that don't fit anywhere else.

Active Threads
0 This week on Craig's list
Last Post: Bwf347
Posted On: 3 Minutes Ago
Replies: 3,611
Views: 367,265
0 35mm Kayaba Fork Disassemble
Last Post: 1Scooter
Posted On: 7 Minutes Ago
Replies: 5
Views: 146
0 Motorcycle oils or not ?
Last Post: 1HD4CJM1X4K
Posted On: 21 Minutes Ago
Replies: 63
Views: 1,821
0 Rubbermount oil consumption poll
Last Post: Nibelungen
Posted On: 32 Minutes Ago
Replies: 224
Views: 93,654
0 Do you have the service manual?
Last Post: Toejam503
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 706
Views: 177,043
0 Peanut, 3.3 or 4.5 gas tank ?
Last Post: jammantoo
Replies: 218
Views: 58,253
0 Another spark plug question...
Last Post: doodah man
Replies: 13
Views: 360
0 Let's study the 77-85 oil pump, parts, and changes and when.
Last Post: Hippysmack
Replies: 84
Views: 5,906
0 Suzuki Lights On 883
Last Post: IXL2Relax
Replies: 48
Views: 1,000
0 Might as well join I guess...
Last Post: Island Dude
Replies: 25
Views: 838
0 1995 Sportster 1200, Black/orange, S&S, Supertrapp
Last Post: Toejam503
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 10
Views: 123
0 brake upgrade (Can't Bleed)
Last Post: Hippysmack
Replies: 15
Views: 471
9 Aftermarket Petcocks
Last Post: IXL2Relax
Replies: 1
Views: 58
0 What Sort Of Sporty Have You Got?
Last Post: Caustic Dick
Replies: 1,046
Views: 274,218
0 It's ~Grind~'s Birthday!
Last Post: heyshott 81
Views: 19
0 If I Could Build My Perfect Roadster...
Last Post: 09Nightsterrider
Replies: 5
Views: 270
0 Rocker Lockers - Quiet Down Annoying Top End Ticking
Last Post: DK Custom
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 44
Views: 6,448
0 Jagg offset oil cooler #4700 removal?
Last Post: John Harper
Replies: 3
Views: 45
0 getting this 78 back to the way it should be.
Last Post: DirtyHarry68
Replies: 922
Views: 153,629
0 1960 XLCH in the UK
Replies: 117
Views: 6,310
0 Hottie of the day, no nudity.
Last Post: trainman
Replies: 8,333
Views: 666,567
3 Wtb, Wts, Wtt, Wtg (Ironhead)
Last Post: 1939WLR
Replies: 117
Views: 200,736
0 Help with my clutch please
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 178
Views: 9,431
14 Firearms you wish you owned.
Last Post: sportsterpaul
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Replies: 511
Views: 80,818
0 Another ironhead roadracer
Last Post: brucstoudt
Replies: 18
Views: 602
0 Official XL Forum Random Image Thread (NO NUDITY!)
Last Post: BWP 5p
Replies: 41,799
Views: 6,442,270
0 What did you do for your sporty Today?
Last Post: sportsterpaul
Replies: 5,442
Views: 620,826
0 Frame mods
Last Post: farmall
Posted On: 6 Hours Ago
Views: 144
0 '71 XLCH owner in Roanoke, VA
Last Post: juzyHD
Replies: 12
Views: 596
0 "S" model specific Q&A
Last Post: Tomt
Replies: 1,801
Views: 342,842
More...
Members Birthdays
Papatony, chedd (73), Nevar (68), nrbase (66), Smokin-Smitty (61), kbfarkas (59), Irondreads (49), Tim97509 (48), CCM0021 (47), wandrur, bikerusn5 (35)
Sponsored Links

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19th June 2018
Chief Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: 100th Anniv. XLH Hugger
Sportster/Buell Year: 03
Other Motorcycle Model: Honda CB750F Super Sport
Other Motorcycle Year: 1976
tigger has a reputation beyond reputetigger has a reputation beyond reputetigger has a reputation beyond reputetigger has a reputation beyond reputetigger has a reputation beyond reputetigger has a reputation beyond reputetigger has a reputation beyond reputetigger has a reputation beyond reputetigger has a reputation beyond reputetigger has a reputation beyond reputetigger has a reputation beyond repute

never liked harley much. and i still don't all that much. NEVER thought i would own a harley, NEVER had a desire to. not much of a fan of companies that try to sell you a lifestyle along with their product, which is quite a lot of them actually, but i digress.

my brother died in 2006 and after settling his estate my dad and sister gave me his 03 sportster hugger. he hadn't even had it a year before he died as he bought it used. i had some ninjas at the time and he and i were supposed to go riding together for the first time on the weekend after he died. sadly he died the monday before that weekend came. so i never got to ride with him.

so my sportster has sentimental value and i think of him a lot when i ride.

but after riding it and putting lots of miles on it i have come to love it. and i think that sportsters are some of the best bikes out there. they can be made to fit any style of bike that you can think of. they are engineered well, handle wonderfully and are extremely stable.

at some point i'd like to get another so i can modify the frame and whatever else without feeling guilty. i have modified my brothers sportster to a more cafe racer/road race style or suspension geometry to fit what i like to do best. but all the mods are easy to revert the bike back to stock if i so choose and i have kept everything that i have taken off.

so for me that is why i like sportsters and particularly why i like mine so much.
Old 20th June 2018
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH 883
Sportster/Buell Year: 1992
drifter02 is a jewel in the roughdrifter02 is a jewel in the roughdrifter02 is a jewel in the roughdrifter02 is a jewel in the roughdrifter02 is a jewel in the roughdrifter02 is a jewel in the roughdrifter02 is a jewel in the roughdrifter02 is a jewel in the roughdrifter02 is a jewel in the roughdrifter02 is a jewel in the roughdrifter02 is a jewel in the rough

A touching story. It never ceases to amaze me how motorcycles can become so a part of a person that they seem to take on that person's personality and life. Non-motorcycle people will say they are just machines, but we who a bikers (more than mere riders) know that a motorcycle is far more than the sum of its parts.
"Never mind the track. The track is for punks. We are Road People. We are Cafe Racers."
Hunter S. Thompson
Old 20th June 2018
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883 Sportster
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
geekonabike has a reputation beyond reputegeekonabike has a reputation beyond reputegeekonabike has a reputation beyond reputegeekonabike has a reputation beyond reputegeekonabike has a reputation beyond reputegeekonabike has a reputation beyond reputegeekonabike has a reputation beyond reputegeekonabike has a reputation beyond reputegeekonabike has a reputation beyond reputegeekonabike has a reputation beyond reputegeekonabike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by drifter02 View Post
A touching story. It never ceases to amaze me how motorcycles can become so a part of a person that they seem to take on that person's personality and life. Non-motorcycle people will say they are just machines, but we who a bikers (more than mere riders) know that a motorcycle is far more than the sum of its parts.
Yeah, hard to beat that one. So sorry about your brother, tigger. At least the bike will always remind you of him.

I came from a Harley-hating crowd myself, who thought I was nuts when I went Sportster (and just an 883!), but it just goes (mine's seen some gnarly roads, hail, downpours, whatever), has a lot of personality (talks to me and keeps me awake on long rides), and is so old-school different from those Ninjas and such, I fell in love with mine and that's that. Now and then I wish I had an Asian bike in the garage (thinking NC700X or CB500X or Versys), though as a compromise sometimes I think of a Street Rod (750) or Indian Scout. Dreaming, in fact, since I have other financial priorites.

I got a lot of new friends since riding the Harley, and my old friends still "hang" with me, so it's all good, with just a bit more razzing (both ways) thrown in.
Old 20th June 2018
Senior Chief Harley Engineer 2nd Class

Sportster/Buell Model: xl883r
Sportster/Buell Year: 2014
Glamazon has a reputation beyond reputeGlamazon has a reputation beyond reputeGlamazon has a reputation beyond reputeGlamazon has a reputation beyond reputeGlamazon has a reputation beyond reputeGlamazon has a reputation beyond reputeGlamazon has a reputation beyond reputeGlamazon has a reputation beyond reputeGlamazon has a reputation beyond reputeGlamazon has a reputation beyond reputeGlamazon has a reputation beyond repute

A Sportster is the Swiss Army knife of bikes. Chop it, bob it, cafe racer, flat tracker, scrambler, dress it up or strip it back. I got bags, Mustang seat & progressive suspension to make a great all round practical bike. I can ride feet up at walking speed in a city centre or at 70 on a motorway with my gear for a night away, over the fast A roads of East Lancashire & West Yorkshire or even (carefully!) a dirt track to Sunderland Point. I'm 6'1 & 1/2" & big built but fit my bike comfortably enough to manage 250 - 300 mile days. (Once did 370 miles in a day). I saw a 1200 Low being set up for a girl of 4'10" at the bike shop, that's just some of the great things about a sporty
Old 21st June 2018
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883 Sportster
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
geekonabike has a reputation beyond reputegeekonabike has a reputation beyond reputegeekonabike has a reputation beyond reputegeekonabike has a reputation beyond reputegeekonabike has a reputation beyond reputegeekonabike has a reputation beyond reputegeekonabike has a reputation beyond reputegeekonabike has a reputation beyond reputegeekonabike has a reputation beyond reputegeekonabike has a reputation beyond reputegeekonabike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glamazon View Post
A Sportster is the Swiss Army knife of bikes. Chop it, bob it, cafe racer, flat tracker, scrambler, dress it up or strip it back. I got bags, Mustang seat & progressive suspension to make a great all round practical bike. I can ride feet up at walking speed in a city centre or at 70 on a motorway with my gear for a night away, over the fast A roads of East Lancashire & West Yorkshire or even (carefully!) a dirt track to Sunderland Point. I'm 6'1 & 1/2" & big built but fit my bike comfortably enough to manage 250 - 300 mile days. (Once did 370 miles in a day). I saw a 1200 Low being set up for a girl of 4'10" at the bike shop, that's just some of the great things about a sporty
I've heard it called "the most customizable bike on the planet." I think a 2-up adventure touring bike is more "Swiss Army" off the lot, BUT having had a poor-man's BMW (650 V-Strom) I can say it's a lot more grin-inducing to do similar things on a Sportster. I think of it more like the baseball utility player who can passably play any position, even pitcher or clean-up hitter in an emergency, but there may be some better at the specialized positions. Of course you can "train it" for those too.
Old 21st June 2018
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: Xl1200c
Sportster/Buell Year: 1997
Skuzeee has disabled reputation

This will probably be a ramble, but it's 1:43AM and I can't sleep, so might as well get personal:
My first Harley's memory happened in Commy Poland in the 80s, there was a world events type tv show called 1715 which did (what was supposed to be) an anti-America story about biker gangs running a muck, with footage of 70s choppers. In a typical communist fail, it made me want a bike. That memory and the Czech motorcycle my dad bought to escape to Germany with my brother led me to get a Honda. When my brother saw me riding, he remembered the fun he had on that Czech bike, so he took a MSF course, rented a Harley (bagger) then spent a day taking pics of him on it, which he posted for months after. He died before I could talk him into getting a bike, that's when I decided I wanted a Harley. I took my time thinking about which Harley, got it down to a carb'd Evo, finally decided a sportster fit my stature (I'm 5'5") and my weird, outsider personality. They are low maintnance, easy to work on and cheaper to customize than big twins. Sportsters catch a lot of hate from other Harley riders, many non-Harley motorcycle riders, our neighbors, dogs etc, yet they are arguably the quintecential Harley and, as stated earlier, can be set-up in all kinds of ways. The first time I went to the local DC hipster motorcycle store there was a Sportster on display as you walked in, but as I was checking is out, the owner let me know he wasn't a fan of Harleys "but this one was done right, by a cool guy".

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Old 21st June 2018
Flat Track Racer

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2000
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL883C
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2006
Diogenes415 has a reputation beyond reputeDiogenes415 has a reputation beyond reputeDiogenes415 has a reputation beyond reputeDiogenes415 has a reputation beyond reputeDiogenes415 has a reputation beyond reputeDiogenes415 has a reputation beyond reputeDiogenes415 has a reputation beyond reputeDiogenes415 has a reputation beyond reputeDiogenes415 has a reputation beyond reputeDiogenes415 has a reputation beyond reputeDiogenes415 has a reputation beyond repute

Awesome thoughts and stories here folks! Thanks for sharing.
Old 7th July 2018
Flat Track Racer

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2000
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL883C
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2006
Diogenes415 has a reputation beyond reputeDiogenes415 has a reputation beyond reputeDiogenes415 has a reputation beyond reputeDiogenes415 has a reputation beyond reputeDiogenes415 has a reputation beyond reputeDiogenes415 has a reputation beyond reputeDiogenes415 has a reputation beyond reputeDiogenes415 has a reputation beyond reputeDiogenes415 has a reputation beyond reputeDiogenes415 has a reputation beyond reputeDiogenes415 has a reputation beyond repute

Two days ago I loaded up my 883 and took her for a ~2,000 mile ride and just got back a couple of hours ago. About 200 miles into the trip at a fuel stop I noticed heavy oil drips coming from the intake cover so I pulled it and the air filter off and saw a significant amount of oil on the rear cylinder breather bolt and on the rear side of the air filter... damned crankcase vent valve no doubt. On the eve of the first day I pulled the rear rocker cover off to inspect the breather valve... it was still functioning as a one-way valve but it's retaining bolt wasn't cinched down. So I cleaned it, reinstalled it and made sure the bolt was torqued to the appropriate road-side with hand-tools spec. The last ~1400 miles were done with no oil spitting or air-filter staining... all was good.

This is one of the reasons I love my Sportsters. They bring me back to the good old days when you can wrench on your vehicle with just a fistful of tools and a little know-how.
Old 7th July 2018
Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 2001 883 Custom
Desertfox has disabled reputation

I have had my Sporty for fifteen years now and ride it every day. I love the raw feel and sound of the bike. having said this I don't think my next bike (if I ever get one) will be a Sportster or even a Harley Davidson. The more Annabelle and I age together the more irritating the bike's idiosyncrasies become. Simple, little things that Harley would not have to reinvent the wheel to improve. Like the turn signals. Almost every other motorcycle has modern flexible mounts for turn signal lights. On a Harley, if you bump one, you break it and have to completely replace it. Simple things like clutch adjustment and cable changes become a major time consuming pain in the ass. requiring tools and facilities. The horn and turn signals are backwards. Oil changes are a huge mess. And just about every other bike in its class outperforms it (see Indian Scout). But I guess, just like an old married couple , we just tolerate each other.
Old 7th July 2018
Land Speed Record

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH 1000
Sportster/Buell Year: 1985
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLH 1000
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1985
Other Motorcycle Model: Kawasaki Vulcan 700
Other Motorcycle Year: 1985
Dave L has a brilliant futureDave L has a brilliant futureDave L has a brilliant futureDave L has a brilliant futureDave L has a brilliant futureDave L has a brilliant futureDave L has a brilliant futureDave L has a brilliant futureDave L has a brilliant futureDave L has a brilliant futureDave L has a brilliant future

Mine drew some looks recently at a dealership sponsored bike night. I guess it is just something about old looking bikes that now they are making the new ones look old. You see all kinds of Sportsters out there customized to the owners preference like a canvas to an artist. Cool nimble little bikes