The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE FORUM > Sportster Motorcycle General Discussion and Problems
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle General Discussion and Problems For discussing problems about your Sportster motorcycle that don't fit anywhere else.

Active Threads
0 Crusty's Travels
Last Post: Crusty
Posted On: 6 Minutes Ago
Replies: 2,605
Views: 345,297
0 Electric Harley sub-forum(s)...?
Last Post: NLXL
Posted On: 10 Minutes Ago
Replies: 3
Views: 64
0 Speed
Last Post: Nibelungen
Posted On: 17 Minutes Ago
Replies: 32
Views: 326
0 Deer hunting at stairman's.
Last Post: 60Gunner
Posted On: 25 Minutes Ago
Replies: 5
Views: 37
0 This is gonna hurt.
Last Post: Stairman
Posted On: 32 Minutes Ago
Replies: 7,825
Views: 1,582,311
0 sportster and a grand
Last Post: stikflote
Posted On: 34 Minutes Ago
Replies: 8
Views: 67
0 Roads I'd like to ride.
Posted On: 36 Minutes Ago
Replies: 2,589
Views: 220,279
0 On starting a new thread
Last Post: GA_Ironhead
Posted On: 42 Minutes Ago
Replies: 7
Views: 197
0 Official XL Forum Random Image Thread (NO NUDITY!)
Posted On: 53 Minutes Ago
Replies: 45,530
Views: 7,190,527
0 98 Stator Removal / Inspection / Installation
Last Post: sportsterdoc
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 45
Views: 1,324
0 Anyone hunting an XLCH in a Norton Featherbed Project?
Last Post: Serious Blac
Replies: 46
Views: 2,432
0 05 883xl question re: jet size
Last Post: rocketmangb
Replies: 8
Views: 182
0 How much is a late 60's early 70's Sportster worth?
Last Post: Gold Member
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 24
Views: 1,364
0 2007 Sportster xl883l (low) 3k original miles
Last Post: eskimo619
Replies: 29
Views: 652
0 latest project sorrry not an ironhead.
Last Post: Maxeffort
Replies: 7
Views: 222
0 DK Custom-Parts Info, Testing, & Results w/ Pics & Fun-to-Read Ride Reports
Last Post: DK Custom
Replies: 22
Views: 3,673
0 5 gal tank
Last Post: spoon
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 58
Views: 17,706
0 Pictorial Essay, my town, Waterloo, Ontario
Last Post: Glamazon
Replies: 19
Views: 4,274
0 front drum bearing fit
Last Post: bustert
Replies: 1
Views: 85
0 Flame's New 1989
Last Post: Flame__
Replies: 622
Views: 91,406
0 Keep & Kill
Last Post: Crusty
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 14,360
Views: 806,087
0 What did you do for your sporty Today?
Last Post: boomerguy
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Replies: 6,470
Views: 846,950
0 MikuniHSR REAL WORLD tuning tips for beginners
Last Post: Highly-Dangerous
Posted On: 6 Hours Ago
Replies: 239
Views: 52,299
0 What's your opinion on windshields?
Posted On: 7 Hours Ago
Replies: 1,203
Views: 205,677
0 1200 conversion
Replies: 13
Views: 456
0 Hottie of the day, no nudity.
Replies: 15,100
Views: 1,432,141
0 To Lace or Not to Lace, or While We're Doing This...
Replies: 13
Views: 518
0 never mind
Last Post: rejeanprimeau
Replies: 5
Views: 247
0 What Kind of Gas Treatment Do You Use?
Last Post: shanneba
Replies: 20
Views: 602
0 This week on Craig's list
Posted On: 8 Hours Ago
Replies: 4,469
Views: 547,296
More...
Members Birthdays
xlhrick (74), madrat (68), gripdad (65), ask4dug (63), TinMan_4L (58), jrhayden (57), norseXL (54), ftcara (53), rick600, thebisch (49), wademclean, smooth8423 (44), timmaboy (43), mxmike800 (29), OddOneOut (28)
Tags
2003, 883, backfire, no start

Sponsored Links

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25th October 2012
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200S
Sportster/Buell Year: 2002
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLH883
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2003
sportsterdoc has a reputation beyond reputesportsterdoc has a reputation beyond reputesportsterdoc has a reputation beyond reputesportsterdoc has a reputation beyond reputesportsterdoc has a reputation beyond reputesportsterdoc has a reputation beyond reputesportsterdoc has a reputation beyond reputesportsterdoc has a reputation beyond reputesportsterdoc has a reputation beyond reputesportsterdoc has a reputation beyond reputesportsterdoc has a reputation beyond repute

Once more thing: Wet plugs indicates that you are getting fuel, but not necessarily the correct mixture. If it sounds like it wants to start, then you are likely getting spark, but not necessarily good spark or at the right time. Considering your WOT balk, with response when backed off at 3/4, yes that could mean too small a main jet (or mid-range circuit), but it also could be a serious vacuum leak.

Is this a California bike with an evap recovery canister? If so, check vacuum lines to it, as well as to the vacuum operated petcock and VOES.
Old 25th October 2012

sportsterdoc has a reputation beyond reputesportsterdoc has a reputation beyond reputesportsterdoc has a reputation beyond reputesportsterdoc has a reputation beyond reputesportsterdoc has a reputation beyond reputesportsterdoc has a reputation beyond reputesportsterdoc has a reputation beyond reputesportsterdoc has a reputation beyond reputesportsterdoc has a reputation beyond reputesportsterdoc has a reputation beyond reputesportsterdoc has a reputation beyond repute

Regarding vacuum hoses, see this link http://xlforum.net/forums/s....php?t=1483180
Old 30th October 2012
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH 883
Sportster/Buell Year: 2003
sslnight is an unknown quantity at this point

Ok i finally got to play with her today and have been able to finally duplicate the issue. I pulled both plugs and they were not wet (no fuel). The plugs did have alot of carbon on them (this could be the sea foam i ran through the tank). I also checked and it appears the bike is a california spec meaning it does have an evap canister.

I had replaced the hose that connects to the voes from the petcock 2 months ago but have yet to test/replace the voes. I doubt the voes will prevent the bile from starting based on my research.

Soooo no fuel.....?
Old 30th October 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by sslnight View Post
Ok i finally got to play with her today and have been able to finally duplicate the issue. I pulled both plugs and they were not wet (no fuel). The plugs did have alot of carbon on them (this could be the sea foam i ran through the tank). I also checked and it appears the bike is a california spec meaning it does have an evap canister.

I had replaced the hose that connects to the voes from the petcock 2 months ago but have yet to test/replace the voes. I doubt the voes will prevent the bile from starting based on my research.

Soooo no fuel.....?
VOES would only be an issue for mid-range RPM and up.
However, a crack in the vacuum line to the VOES or the vacuum operated petcock may affect starting.
If you have good vacuum, I would next check for operation of the petcock.
If it (or the diaphragm) is original...and it is still good, I would be very surprised.
Did you again check for spark at the plugs, while they were/are out?
Old 30th October 2012
Biker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsterdoc View Post
VOES would only be an issue for mid-range RPM and up.
However, a crack in the vacuum line to the VOES or the vacuum operated petcock may affect starting.
If you have good vacuum, I would next check for operation of the petcock.
If it (or the diaphragm) is original...and it is still good, I would be very surprised.
Did you again check for spark at the plugs, while they were/are out?
So for the starting the voes itself is not the issue. Check. As for starting i do not have a vacuum checker so i may have to pick one up. I replaced the petcock so recently with a new harley part so recently that i want to rule it out but i know that i want to rule it out (i know it could have been made on a monday or a friday and still be bad even if its only 2 months old.

I did not look at the sparkplugs this time as there was no wetness on them.
Old 30th October 2012

Quote:
So for the starting the voes itself is not the issue. Check. As for starting i do not have a vacuum checker so i may have to pick one up. I replaced the petcock so recently with a new harley part so recently that i want to rule it out but i know that i want to rule it out (i know it could have been made on a monday or a friday and still be bad even if its only 2 months old.

I did not look at the sparkplugs this time as there was no wetness on them.
No need for a vacuum gauge, although they are cheap.
You can feel vacuum, when it is running, with your finger on the end of the line.
Let's try a different approach: Pull the fuel line from the carb and check for flow. Although if your accelerator pump squirts, you do have some fuel in the bowl.
Did you try starting fluid? If you have spark, at close to the right time, you should get some response from starting fluid...that would indicate that adequate fuel or fuel mixture is a problem. If no response, then we are back to spark.
Old 30th October 2012

There is also the possibility of two problems, at the same time.
Do you have good voltage to the coils?
Are the primary (12 VDC) connections to the coils good?
Did you unscrew the secondary (high voltage) connections, to check for corrosion?
Old 31st October 2012
Biker

I havnt had the chance to pull the fuel line from the carb to check for fuel as i have not had the problem due to not having the time to ride for a long period. I did pick up some starter fluid that im keeping in my toolbag along with a spark plug socket and wrench so i can add it as needed when it happens.

Today i rode it to work expecting it to not start but.... i pulled the choke all the way out and held it while i started and it started right up. This in the past is where it always seemed to not start and was pissing me off. I would pull the choke out and it would slide back a bit and i would just ignore it. This time i didnt and she started right up.

I am back from work now and she is having a hard time starting. I sprayed the starter fluid directly into the carb for at least 3 seconds as per the instructions but she did not start. I think that through your diags this leads back to the electral problem being the issue here.

I did not check the ignition coils as i replaced the coil with a SE module less than a month ago.

So based on this (and i will confirm after a few runs like this) it seems that the logical solution is the ignition module especially if i can eliminitate the cold starting issue by holding the choke out during cold starts.

So what says you?
Sponsored Links
Old 31st October 2012

Quote:
I havnt had the chance to pull the fuel line from the carb to check for fuel as i have not had the problem due to not having the time to ride for a long period. I did pick up some starter fluid that im keeping in my toolbag along with a spark plug socket and wrench so i can add it as needed when it happens.

Today i rode it to work expecting it to not start but.... i pulled the choke all the way out and held it while i started and it started right up. This in the past is where it always seemed to not start and was pissing me off. I would pull the choke out and it would slide back a bit and i would just ignore it. This time i didnt and she started right up.

I am back from work now and she is having a hard time starting. I sprayed the starter fluid directly into the carb for at least 3 seconds as per the instructions but she did not start. I think that through your diags this leads back to the electral problem being the issue here.

I did not check the ignition coils as i replaced the coil with a SE module less than a month ago.

So based on this (and i will confirm after a few runs like this) it seems that the logical solution is the ignition module especially if i can eliminitate the cold starting issue by holding the choke out during cold starts.

So what says you?
Unless you have a loose connection to the coil, probably on the primary side, the ignition module is a likely culprit, as most of the "cheap fixes" have likely (not for sure) been eliminated. For example, a worn ignition switch that intermittently makes contact has not been ruled out...unless you checked for voltage to the primary side of the coil, each time it would not start.
Old 31st October 2012
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200 R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
BWP 5p has a reputation beyond reputeBWP 5p has a reputation beyond reputeBWP 5p has a reputation beyond reputeBWP 5p has a reputation beyond reputeBWP 5p has a reputation beyond reputeBWP 5p has a reputation beyond reputeBWP 5p has a reputation beyond reputeBWP 5p has a reputation beyond reputeBWP 5p has a reputation beyond reputeBWP 5p has a reputation beyond reputeBWP 5p has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

I am back from work now and she is having a hard time starting.

So what says you?
Was it firing? Was it trying to start? Was the motor HOT or just warm?