The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE FORUM > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Active Threads
0 KT - 2020 - Where Eagles Dare
Last Post: IXL2Relax
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 21
Views: 3,181
0 removing clear coat on fork lowers
Last Post: Hippysmack
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 12
Views: 286
0 Official XL Forum Random Image Thread (NO NUDITY!)
Last Post: Graywolf
Replies: 46,772
Views: 7,451,813
0 new dude
Replies: 14
Views: 349
0 Just saying G'day
Replies: 1
Views: 63
0 ....1
Last Post: Highly-Dangerous
Replies: 5,159
Views: 308,909
0 Keep & Kill
Last Post: Graywolf
Replies: 16,160
Views: 919,968
0 Iree's late night cafe
Last Post: sportytrace
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 1,425
Views: 188,768
0 48 O2 sensor?
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 6
Views: 272
0 15 min rides
Last Post: SHAKY DAVE
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Replies: 16
Views: 491
0 Hottie of the day, no nudity.
Last Post: ronccc
Posted On: 6 Hours Ago
Replies: 17,739
Views: 1,786,590
0 Hot Chicks on Hot Bikes
Last Post: ronccc
Replies: 10,670
Views: 1,959,432
0 Battery melt down
Last Post: doodah man
Replies: 19
Views: 749
0 What cams are these
Last Post: keithnh
Replies: 13
Views: 2,421
0 A Truck and Two Saddle Sores on Two Bikes to Jacksonville
Last Post: sportsterpaul
Posted On: 7 Hours Ago
Replies: 2
Views: 111
0 short chrome sissy bar with pad, but bolt on, not quick detach.
Last Post: sportsterpaul
Views: 1,255
0 Flush gas cap question
Last Post: GorilladaHun
Replies: 15
Views: 1,261
0 Round Air Cleaner Poll
Last Post: TUCCI
Posted On: 8 Hours Ago
Replies: 339
Views: 71,083
0 Who runs 70wt. oil
Last Post: needspeed
Posted On: 8 Hours Ago
Replies: 65
Views: 10,658
0 harbor freight lift
Last Post: Ireeman
Posted On: 9 Hours Ago
Views: 486
0 Best Plug For A Points Conversion Sporty?
Last Post: lostjohnny
Replies: 0
Views: 38
0 air cleaner swap parts question
Last Post: Joe_jeep
Replies: 7
Views: 469
0 cycle shack 1.75" slip ons without a tune?
Last Post: Joe_jeep
Replies: 2
Views: 226
0 This is gonna hurt.
Last Post: Ireeman
Posted On: 10 Hours Ago
Replies: 8,014
Views: 1,666,378
0 06 Roadster. Any problems? What’s it worth?
Last Post: ParrotHead
Posted On: 10 Hours Ago
Replies: 24
Views: 2,063
0 Starting issues (No Spark)
Last Post: oldboy
Posted On: 11 Hours Ago
Replies: 37
Views: 835
3 Wtb, Wts, Wtt, Wtg (Evos)
Last Post: Folkie
Posted On: 12 Hours Ago
Replies: 20
Views: 77,489
0 Ignotion power wire question
Posted On: 12 Hours Ago
Replies: 23
Views: 612
0 Howdy ya'll
Last Post: Toejam503
Posted On: 13 Hours Ago
Replies: 11
Views: 451
0 Need help picking new mufflers
Last Post: Toejam503
Posted On: 13 Hours Ago
Replies: 3
Views: 200
More...
Members Birthdays
Sponsored Links

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11th September 2012
I have been revived

Sportster/Buell Model: xlch
Sportster/Buell Year: 1961
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1970
Other Motorcycle Model: XL CE Tribute
Other Motorcycle Year: 1977
brianbbs67 has a reputation beyond reputebrianbbs67 has a reputation beyond reputebrianbbs67 has a reputation beyond reputebrianbbs67 has a reputation beyond reputebrianbbs67 has a reputation beyond reputebrianbbs67 has a reputation beyond reputebrianbbs67 has a reputation beyond reputebrianbbs67 has a reputation beyond reputebrianbbs67 has a reputation beyond reputebrianbbs67 has a reputation beyond reputebrianbbs67 has a reputation beyond repute

Not good pic of 6 and 1

I've got to get a better camera, but. These are legit. And an example of different 3 and 6 styles, there were at least 2 of each.
Old 11th September 2012
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: xlh convert to xlch
Sportster/Buell Year: 1978
Sportster/Buell Model #2: xlch
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1972
Other Motorcycle Model: Sportster 48
Other Motorcycle Year: 2010
DirtyCory has much to be proud ofDirtyCory has much to be proud ofDirtyCory has much to be proud ofDirtyCory has much to be proud ofDirtyCory has much to be proud ofDirtyCory has much to be proud ofDirtyCory has much to be proud ofDirtyCory has much to be proud ofDirtyCory has much to be proud ofDirtyCory has much to be proud ofDirtyCory has much to be proud of

here is a pic of a vin of a 62 that i looked at not too long ago. kinda wierd, see the 2 different style of 6's ??

Old 11th September 2012
I have been revived

brianbbs67 has a reputation beyond reputebrianbbs67 has a reputation beyond reputebrianbbs67 has a reputation beyond reputebrianbbs67 has a reputation beyond reputebrianbbs67 has a reputation beyond reputebrianbbs67 has a reputation beyond reputebrianbbs67 has a reputation beyond reputebrianbbs67 has a reputation beyond reputebrianbbs67 has a reputation beyond reputebrianbbs67 has a reputation beyond reputebrianbbs67 has a reputation beyond repute

Cory those are probably legit. I have seen different font in the same number that were ok? Notice two different 2s also!
Old 11th September 2012
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1969
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 1966 XLCH
Other Motorcycle Model: BMW Twin
Other Motorcycle Year: 82
Monte03 has much to be proud ofMonte03 has much to be proud ofMonte03 has much to be proud ofMonte03 has much to be proud ofMonte03 has much to be proud ofMonte03 has much to be proud ofMonte03 has much to be proud ofMonte03 has much to be proud ofMonte03 has much to be proud ofMonte03 has much to be proud ofMonte03 has much to be proud of
Default dirty

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianbbs67 View Post
Cory those are probably legit. I have seen different font in the same number that were ok
two different # 2 stamps and two different # 6 stamps but as long as the title matches.........
Old 11th September 2012
I have been revived

I think the general rule in the old days, was there weren't too many rules. Different stamp got used all the time within certain not too specific guidelines. So as long as the title matches....

Originally Posted by haugster1340
To me the "H" looks tall compared to the rest of the characters. I am not saying this is a restamp. I am just trying to learn. Was the letter H taller during certain years?
The H appears taller than the other two letters but it's hard to be sure from that eBay photo. A few other examples I have are similar although I found nothing definite relating to any year(s) in particular. Also notice the crossbar on the H appears to be higher than halfway and that is something I've seen before but not always.

The H in the photo below looks taller than the accompanying L and F but if it really is then I'd have to say it's a rare occurrence given the rest of the examples I have.

Incidentally, the 62 photo once caused a certain forum member to say the numbers in it looked funky. But when I asked him to explain his comment there was no reply, just silence.

Harley used at least four different Hs from the early years through 1980. The couple of examples I have of pre-1920 and also of 1929 have an H with horizontal serifs at the top and bottom of each vertical stroke. The overall height is about the same as other letters and the crossbar is located about halfway up.

Some 1936 VLHs have a seriffed H but it seems to have changed to a sans serif H before the end of the 1936 model year, possibly somewhere after number 32++ but before number 42++.

The 1937-41 UH and ULH also seem to have the sans serif H.

My few examples of the 1950 WLH also bear the sans serif H but it could be that two different types were used because sometimes the crossbar appears to be about halfway up and sometimes it seems to be higher, as per the 59FLH on eBay. And a similar two-H scenario may also apply for the 1954-later KH and some other K-series machines, as well as the mid-1955-69 FLH and applicable Sportsters through 1969.

On some small Harleys such as the Sprint in the 1960s another type of H appeared and although it was sans serif it was wider than previous Hs.

It looks like the wider H was then introduced on engines for Big Twins, Sportsters and Servi-Cars as of the 1970 models and I've seen it mostly in the eighth position as the manufacturer code for 1970-79---for example, 2A12345H0. However, some Hs in that eighth position still appear to be a narrower style. And I've seen both types of H used in the second position as part of the model designator.
Eric

... Sometimes a two or three digit stamp was use for the year/model creating different fonts
Old 11th September 2012
Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: xlch sportster
Sportster/Buell Year: 1969
snow has a brilliant futuresnow has a brilliant futuresnow has a brilliant futuresnow has a brilliant futuresnow has a brilliant futuresnow has a brilliant futuresnow has a brilliant futuresnow has a brilliant futuresnow has a brilliant futuresnow has a brilliant futuresnow has a brilliant future

Man, who would've thought that scoping old IH VINs would be so diverting? I really dig this thread--- the different 6s in the same VIN is so whacky--- half the time the Harley factory looks like it was just wingin' it... Amazing that dudes running those shaky but legit stock factory #s didn't get their bikes routinely impounded...
Old 11th September 2012
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: xlh convert to xlch
Sportster/Buell Year: 1978
Sportster/Buell Model #2: xlch
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1972
Other Motorcycle Model: Sportster 48
Other Motorcycle Year: 2010
DirtyCory has much to be proud ofDirtyCory has much to be proud ofDirtyCory has much to be proud ofDirtyCory has much to be proud ofDirtyCory has much to be proud ofDirtyCory has much to be proud ofDirtyCory has much to be proud ofDirtyCory has much to be proud ofDirtyCory has much to be proud ofDirtyCory has much to be proud ofDirtyCory has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by snow View Post
Man, who would've thought that scoping old IH VINs would be so diverting?
probably nobody but weirdos like us......
Old 11th September 2012

Sportster/Buell Year: 1975
doodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond repute

maybe the year and model were stamped in one part of the factory, and then the serial # was added towards the end of the line? the two stations had different stamps/fonts? the morning shift was still badly hung over when they struck the stamps on occasion, making their marks a little off?!...
Old 11th September 2012
Senior Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: Custom Sputhe XR
Sportster/Buell Year: 19**
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1965
chevelle is a splendid one to beholdchevelle is a splendid one to beholdchevelle is a splendid one to beholdchevelle is a splendid one to beholdchevelle is a splendid one to beholdchevelle is a splendid one to beholdchevelle is a splendid one to beholdchevelle is a splendid one to beholdchevelle is a splendid one to beholdchevelle is a splendid one to beholdchevelle is a splendid one to behold

Any possibility that say a batch of cases were stamped w/ the year and model just waiting to be assigned engine s/n?
Then the next guy to stamp the s/n grabs a block of slightly different stamps and stamps the last 4 or 5 digits?

Note: Just saw your reply doodah, you got there before me.

Another link: http://xlforum.net/forums/s...d.php?t=345784

Last edited by chevelle; 11th September 2012 at 03:01.. Reason: Note: see above...
Old 11th September 2012

Sportster/Buell Year: 1975
doodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelle View Post
Note: Just saw your reply doodah, you got there before me.
brilliant minds think alike