The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE FORUM > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Active Threads
0 KT - 2020 - Where Eagles Dare
Last Post: IXL2Relax
Posted On: 6 Minutes Ago
Replies: 21
Views: 3,165
0 removing clear coat on fork lowers
Last Post: Hippysmack
Posted On: 46 Minutes Ago
Replies: 12
Views: 277
0 Official XL Forum Random Image Thread (NO NUDITY!)
Last Post: Graywolf
Posted On: 51 Minutes Ago
Replies: 46,772
Views: 7,451,764
0 new dude
Posted On: 52 Minutes Ago
Replies: 14
Views: 304
0 Just saying G'day
Posted On: 55 Minutes Ago
Replies: 1
Views: 38
0 ....1
Last Post: Highly-Dangerous
Posted On: 59 Minutes Ago
Replies: 5,159
Views: 308,904
0 Keep & Kill
Last Post: Graywolf
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 16,160
Views: 919,398
0 Iree's late night cafe
Last Post: sportytrace
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 1,425
Views: 188,762
0 48 O2 sensor?
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 6
Views: 258
0 15 min rides
Last Post: SHAKY DAVE
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 16
Views: 485
0 Hottie of the day, no nudity.
Last Post: ronccc
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 17,739
Views: 1,786,510
0 Hot Chicks on Hot Bikes
Last Post: ronccc
Replies: 10,670
Views: 1,959,108
0 Battery melt down
Last Post: doodah man
Replies: 19
Views: 743
0 What cams are these
Last Post: keithnh
Replies: 13
Views: 2,411
0 A Truck and Two Saddle Sores on Two Bikes to Jacksonville
Last Post: sportsterpaul
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Replies: 2
Views: 103
0 short chrome sissy bar with pad, but bolt on, not quick detach.
Last Post: sportsterpaul
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Views: 1,212
0 Flush gas cap question
Last Post: GorilladaHun
Posted On: 6 Hours Ago
Replies: 15
Views: 1,251
0 Round Air Cleaner Poll
Last Post: TUCCI
Replies: 339
Views: 71,079
0 Who runs 70wt. oil
Last Post: needspeed
Replies: 65
Views: 10,655
0 harbor freight lift
Last Post: Ireeman
Posted On: 7 Hours Ago
Views: 484
0 Best Plug For A Points Conversion Sporty?
Last Post: lostjohnny
Posted On: 7 Hours Ago
Replies: 0
Views: 34
0 air cleaner swap parts question
Last Post: Joe_jeep
Posted On: 8 Hours Ago
Replies: 7
Views: 467
0 cycle shack 1.75" slip ons without a tune?
Last Post: Joe_jeep
Replies: 2
Views: 213
0 This is gonna hurt.
Last Post: Ireeman
Replies: 8,014
Views: 1,666,110
0 06 Roadster. Any problems? What’s it worth?
Last Post: ParrotHead
Posted On: 9 Hours Ago
Replies: 24
Views: 2,060
0 Starting issues (No Spark)
Last Post: oldboy
Posted On: 9 Hours Ago
Replies: 37
Views: 832
3 Wtb, Wts, Wtt, Wtg (Evos)
Last Post: Folkie
Posted On: 10 Hours Ago
Replies: 20
Views: 77,485
0 Ignotion power wire question
Posted On: 11 Hours Ago
Replies: 23
Views: 564
0 Howdy ya'll
Last Post: Toejam503
Replies: 11
Views: 449
0 Need help picking new mufflers
Last Post: Toejam503
Replies: 3
Views: 180
More...
Members Birthdays
Tags
brake pads, drum brake rebuild, rear drum brake

Sponsored Links

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10th March 2015
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1970
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Sportster
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 69
Other Motorcycle Model: Sportster
Other Motorcycle Year: 70
simeli has much to be proud ofsimeli has much to be proud ofsimeli has much to be proud ofsimeli has much to be proud ofsimeli has much to be proud ofsimeli has much to be proud ofsimeli has much to be proud ofsimeli has much to be proud ofsimeli has much to be proud ofsimeli has much to be proud ofsimeli has much to be proud of

From the position of the arm I would say you have over sized shoes in, but that is not a bad thing, I like the over sized because it gives a little more to work with when fitting the shoe. Or you have very little shoe left and the arm was installed 90% out.

Fitting the shoe, rub chalk, blue, or liquid shoe polish on the shoe lightly apply the brake and spin the wheel. Remove the brakes and sand down the areas that the marker has rubbed off, repeat, repeat again and repeat again until you have an even rub on both shoes all the way around. You will be shocked at how much brake you end up with.

As for checking the round simply take a piece of baling or tie wire clamp it to the swing arm with vise grips, bend it so the end is just touching the inside of the brake drum (you have to remove and use a spacer for the back plate) spin the wheel slowly and if the end of the wire shows even all the way around you are good (adjust the wire by bending it slightly in the middle) You can also use it to check the sprocket as well.

Not as accurate as a dial indicator but a whole lot cheaper.

I think DD had a thread about centering the drum somewhere on here a few years back.
Old 10th March 2015
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200s
Sportster/Buell Year: 2001
Sportster/Buell Model #2: xlch
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1974
bustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond repute

I would take a look at the backing plate for signs of rubbing. unless the drum is rusty, the shoes usually do not make a scraping sound, the wheel just gets tight in spots. I have seen this before when the wheel wasn't spaced right. also look at how the plate is in relation to the swing arm.
Old 11th March 2015
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster XLCH
savagegarden will become famous soon enoughsavagegarden will become famous soon enoughsavagegarden will become famous soon enoughsavagegarden will become famous soon enoughsavagegarden will become famous soon enoughsavagegarden will become famous soon enough

Is the FSM term for the "backing plate" the brake side plate?
Old 11th March 2015

simeli has much to be proud ofsimeli has much to be proud ofsimeli has much to be proud ofsimeli has much to be proud ofsimeli has much to be proud ofsimeli has much to be proud ofsimeli has much to be proud ofsimeli has much to be proud ofsimeli has much to be proud ofsimeli has much to be proud ofsimeli has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by savagegarden View Post
Is the FSM term for the "backing plate" the brake side plate?
yes
Old 11th March 2015
Rider Of The Iron Steed

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1978
IronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bustert View Post
I would take a look at the backing plate for signs of rubbing. unless the drum is rusty, the shoes usually do not make a scraping sound, the wheel just gets tight in spots. I have seen this before when the wheel wasn't spaced right. also look at how the plate is in relation to the swing arm.
+1

I have dealt with this problem - spacers were not correct.

Visit Mick's WebSite
[And Check Out My Autobiog]
Old 11th March 2015
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

savagegarden will become famous soon enoughsavagegarden will become famous soon enoughsavagegarden will become famous soon enoughsavagegarden will become famous soon enoughsavagegarden will become famous soon enoughsavagegarden will become famous soon enough

Got the rear wheel and rear brake off and immediately noticed that the pads weren't beveled (thanks Junior!), not sure how big of an issue it is but could be part of it. Any recommendations on how to bevel these? I have a bench grinder but imagine there a better ideas than that...

The pads are .19--is that stock? Couldn't find that info in the FSM or the parts catalog, is it in either manual anywhere?

Pads look smooth and have a fairly consistent .19 throughout, but do have some "imbedded particles" but nothing major so I think they'll stay:

Not sure how severe this is but it looks like there is wear on the cam shaft (not on the shaft bearing surface, right?):

I still need to check the roundness of the drum, and will check/post pics of the backing plate and measure the spacers tomorrow.
Old 11th March 2015

The linings are stock thickness and new.

Take some pictures inside the drum and around the back plate edges on the inside.

Was that cam seated all the way in? (doesn't look like it)

You can bevel the lining with a heavy cut file or if you are very careful on the grinder I like the file myself, takes more time but makes a much nicer looking job.

Also check and make sure the third bearing is still in the wheel.

It is a lot easier if you take good pictures of everything that could be an issue and post them all at once instead of piece mealing things one at a time, that way we aren't left to guessing.
Old 11th March 2015
Rider Of The Iron Steed

IronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond repute

Looks like it is the washer on the end of the cam is what has been causing the noise. It is supposed to be a thin, flat spring steel washer, and it is not supposed to be worn down like that.

If it is a regular washer rather than spring steel it will not work, needs to be replaced with the correct part.
Sponsored Links
Old 11th March 2015
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Mick--I looked at 44264-54 on ebay and I have the same flat spring steel washer, but mine has a lot more wear and is not round. Given that it's the same flat spring steel washer, think I should replace it?

simeli--I'll take pics of the backing plate and drum, and check the bearings
Old 11th March 2015
Rider Of The Iron Steed

If it is the actual spring washer, just worn, it should be OK. They are a PITA to replace. Easier to buy a complete replacement cam. Might look further into why it is worn so much. If it is the part causing the noise something needs to be fixed or adjusted.