The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE FORUM > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Active Threads
0 Who runs 70wt. oil
Last Post: Highly-Dangerous
Posted On: 2 Minutes Ago
Replies: 97
Views: 12,118
0 1970-71 XL Fuel Tank ?
Last Post: The Doctor71
Posted On: 5 Minutes Ago
Replies: 1
Views: 24
0 Keep & Kill
Last Post: fafcpa
Posted On: 21 Minutes Ago
Replies: 16,325
Views: 926,859
0 what part numbers do i order if i want a power vision tuner?
Last Post: SLW210
Posted On: 23 Minutes Ago
Replies: 3
Views: 94
0 2019 xl1200 suspension upgrade
Last Post: SLW210
Posted On: 43 Minutes Ago
Replies: 9
Views: 130
0 Official XL Forum Random Image Thread (NO NUDITY!)
Last Post: Steve9
Posted On: 45 Minutes Ago
Replies: 46,856
Views: 7,460,760
0 Diagnostic code ?
Last Post: Tomcatt
Posted On: 56 Minutes Ago
Replies: 38
Views: 1,356
0 You asked for it! "The Tess' Coffee Thread"
Last Post: Flame__
Posted On: 58 Minutes Ago
Replies: 11,035
Views: 980,885
0 Ignotion power wire question
Last Post: robbie202
Posted On: 59 Minutes Ago
Replies: 27
Views: 985
0 Post up how many wheels you have in your household
Last Post: bustert
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 16
Views: 421
0 A few more filter options
Last Post: Tucsonmax1
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 6
Views: 827
0 Oil Leak ??????
Last Post: ftwflh
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 24
Views: 427
0 2010 Sporty will not fire! Tried everything, HELP!!!
Last Post: kxrwcer52
Replies: 10
Views: 166
0 What did you do for your sporty Today?
Last Post: rokytnji
Replies: 6,749
Views: 930,971
0 TSM / TSSM / HFSM - How to disable alarm and/or replace unit
Last Post: caffieneracer
Replies: 280
Views: 127,094
4 greetings from quarantine!
Replies: 8
Views: 135
0 XR1200 for trail riding
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 10
Views: 846
0 Low Profile Scissors Lift
Last Post: NLXL
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 15
Views: 249
0 Hottie of the day, no nudity.
Last Post: Stairman
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 17,936
Views: 1,808,674
0 XL Parts '04 up
Last Post: Jcolleyoh
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Replies: 0
Views: 40
0 '04+ Starting Issues, Do You Have Them? - Poll
Last Post: boomerguy
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Replies: 322
Views: 76,601
0 1960 XLCH in the UK
Last Post: chilly
Posted On: 6 Hours Ago
Replies: 250
Views: 29,052
0 Progressive 444s vs Bitubo twin adjustable
Last Post: sportsterpaul
Posted On: 9 Hours Ago
Replies: 1
Views: 47
0 Intake seals, glad I checked them
Last Post: sportsterpaul
Posted On: 10 Hours Ago
Replies: 2
Views: 188
0 Sportster Tank Art
Last Post: Bryan83taco
Posted On: 10 Hours Ago
Replies: 227
Views: 236,939
0 Why cafe a sportster?
Last Post: Merch131ho
Posted On: 11 Hours Ago
Replies: 269
Views: 89,652
0 Spark Plugs
Last Post: glbsportster
Replies: 88
Views: 52,694
0 What did you do to your EFI Sporty today?
Last Post: Joe_jeep
Replies: 3,963
Views: 776,110
0 Corona Virus
Last Post: Tim The Grim
Replies: 379
Views: 19,261
0 Hot Chicks on Hot Bikes
Last Post: trainman
Replies: 10,697
Views: 1,969,470
More...
Members Birthdays
ralphy, rpcycle (69), shag (67), roadcapDen (66), oedius (63), Coolride (58), 1965XLCH (54), fingerpie (49), Pacer88888 (48), Smitty001 (42), wiccaboa (42), Homiejaime (34), Popedizzle (31), Moker (17)

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 6th February 2010
Rider Of The Iron Steed

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1978
IronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond repute
Default '77 & '78 Kick Support

Pics followed by description ...

Pipe is 1,1/4" OD. ID is larger than the 7/8" ID of the holes in the end fittings. I can feel with finger that the pipe has a larger ID than the holes in the fittings on either end. The pipe is probably 1" ID. So pipe is 1/8" thick.

The length of the pipe measured between the two end fittings measures 2,43/64"; so is probably 2,11/16".

The threaded hole in the smaller end fitting is 1/4", same thread as cover bolts. The bolt that goes thru there is 1" in length. Center to center with pipe hole is 1,5/16".

The two unthreaded holes in the case end fitting are 3/8", center to center is 2,11/16". Center to center 1,7/8" and 1,1/8" with the big hole. Check these against the bolts that it mounts to on the case, and against the hole for the shaft.

Cutout hole is 5/8" ID.

Really needs a CAD or whatever drawing to accurately portray the shapes/dimensions of the end fittings.

Visit Mick's WebSite
[And Check Out My Autobiog]

Last edited by IronMick; 28th May 2019 at 22:29..
Old 6th February 2010
Chief Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Year: 1973
Other Motorcycle Model: 80XS650/71CL175/7?gs550
Vermonter is a glorious beacon of lightVermonter is a glorious beacon of lightVermonter is a glorious beacon of lightVermonter is a glorious beacon of lightVermonter is a glorious beacon of lightVermonter is a glorious beacon of lightVermonter is a glorious beacon of lightVermonter is a glorious beacon of lightVermonter is a glorious beacon of lightVermonter is a glorious beacon of lightVermonter is a glorious beacon of light

that should help prevent any case cover cracking.
Old 7th February 2010
Rider Of The Iron Steed

IronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond repute

This is a Harley Davidson part that was not included in original bikes from the factory. It is a fix they came up with because of the problem of breaking sprocket covers on these models. Hard to come by, so you may want to make your own. Which is the purpose of this post.
Old 7th February 2010
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH 1000
Sportster/Buell Year: 1977
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 75 motor in Norton frame.
Other Motorcycle Model: 42WLA 45, Harton, Narley
Other Motorcycle Year: 1942
Hopper has a brilliant futureHopper has a brilliant futureHopper has a brilliant futureHopper has a brilliant futureHopper has a brilliant futureHopper has a brilliant futureHopper has a brilliant futureHopper has a brilliant futureHopper has a brilliant futureHopper has a brilliant futureHopper has a brilliant future

Back in the Iron Age, before CAD, we used to do drawings by crushing charcoal from the fire at the mouth of the cave and mixing it with our own blood to make ink and using a Dodo bird feather for a quill.

Link to bigger drawing here (I think!):
http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/g...ktcvr005-1.jpg

And not shown on the drawing is this stock divot cut out of the support tube to allow the oil supply line to run through there without being pinched. I had to grind a similar but not so severe divot a little further outboard too, to provide clearance for the 23-tooth sprocket.

Old 7th February 2010
Master Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: xlch
Sportster/Buell Year: 66
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 67 XLH, 63 XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 67
Other Motorcycle Model: FXRT
Other Motorcycle Year: 91
66xlch has a spectacular aura about66xlch has a spectacular aura about66xlch has a spectacular aura about66xlch has a spectacular aura about66xlch has a spectacular aura about66xlch has a spectacular aura about66xlch has a spectacular aura about66xlch has a spectacular aura about66xlch has a spectacular aura about66xlch has a spectacular aura about66xlch has a spectacular aura about

I love that part, and I dont know why they only did it for '77-'78s. I broke my '66 cover, and judging by all the welded early covers out there so have lots of others. I'm going to make one for my 'ch for sure.
Old 7th February 2010

Hopper has a brilliant futureHopper has a brilliant futureHopper has a brilliant futureHopper has a brilliant futureHopper has a brilliant futureHopper has a brilliant futureHopper has a brilliant futureHopper has a brilliant futureHopper has a brilliant futureHopper has a brilliant futureHopper has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66xlch View Post
I love that part, and I dont know why they only did it for '77-'78s. I broke my '66 cover, and judging by all the welded early covers out there so have lots of others. I'm going to make one for my 'ch for sure.
Because the 77-78 sprocket cover mountings were even dickier than the earlier models, using 1/4" philips screws made from cheese metal instead of the earlier 5/16 or larger bolts.

See this thread here for how I welded a pad inside my early 77 sprocket cover for this support bracket to attach to. I imagine you could do similar to an earlier model.
This thread:
http://xlforum.net/forums/s...d.php?t=232588

It also shows how I built an extra support bracket from the top of the gearbox where the breather attaches to the top of the sprocket cover for extra support. Could be used on earlier models that break that aluminum mount tag off the top of the gearbox casing.
Old 7th February 2010
Master Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Year: 66
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 67 XLH, 63 XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 67
Other Motorcycle Model: FXRT
Other Motorcycle Year: 91
66xlch has a spectacular aura about66xlch has a spectacular aura about66xlch has a spectacular aura about66xlch has a spectacular aura about66xlch has a spectacular aura about66xlch has a spectacular aura about66xlch has a spectacular aura about66xlch has a spectacular aura about66xlch has a spectacular aura about66xlch has a spectacular aura about66xlch has a spectacular aura about

Yeah, I have one of your later covers in a box somewhere, and it is extra flimsy!
Old 7th February 2010
Biker

Other Motorcycle Model: dyna wideglide
Other Motorcycle Year: 2004
daler is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMick View Post
This is a Harley Davidson part that was not included in original bikes from the factory. It is a fix they came up with because of the problem of breaking sprocket covers on these models. Hard to come by, so you may want to make your own. Which is the purpose of this post.
Mick, I bought that part from Billscustomcycles.com last year. Seems to me it was about 15-20 bucks. When I installed it I drilled and tapped the 1/4 hole on the support bracket out to 5/16 and then used a 5/16 shoulder bolt for a tight fit thru the cover. Havn't broken a cover since.
Old 7th February 2010
Rider Of The Iron Steed

Quote:
Originally Posted by daler View Post
Mick, I bought that part from Billscustomcycles.com last year ...
I got mine from NOSParts.nl. I think i paid at least twice what you did. I don't want to look!

Last edited by IronMick; 26th September 2013 at 12:35.. Reason: sp
Old 8th February 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by daler View Post
I installed it I drilled and tapped the 1/4 hole on the support bracket out to 5/16 and then used a 5/16 shoulder bolt for a tight fit thru the cover..
Yes, I did that too, as well as drilling and tapping the two main mounting bolt holes so I could use 5/16" high-tensile allen head bolts instead of the cheesy 1/4 phillips head screws. Maybe a little bit of overkill - but I dont have estart so the kicker gets a lot of use.