The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE FORUM > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Notices

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Active Threads
0 Newbie seeks smoother ride
Last Post: Tomcatt
Posted On: 1 Minute Ago
Replies: 22
Views: 1,573
0 Stock mirrors. Can you see behind you?
Last Post: Iron Mike
Posted On: 6 Minutes Ago
Replies: 594
Views: 125,342
0 valve seals?
Last Post: needspeed
Posted On: 11 Minutes Ago
Replies: 24
Views: 1,038
0 my sunday driver...
Last Post: ChinCactus
Posted On: 16 Minutes Ago
Replies: 94
Views: 11,993
0 History of Harley; One Man's Perspective
Last Post: commando57
Posted On: 26 Minutes Ago
Replies: 6
Views: 360
0 Secret Australian Business
Last Post: Steve9
Posted On: 54 Minutes Ago
Replies: 32
Views: 1,729
0 Chain Problems-'90XLH
Last Post: Four Speed
Posted On: 57 Minutes Ago
Replies: 48
Views: 3,329
0 Colorado Trike
Last Post: DEEP DIVER
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 2
Views: 131
0 It's stalkie's Birthday!
Last Post: DEEP DIVER
Replies: 3
Views: 55
0 Roads I'd like to ride.
Last Post: Stairman
Replies: 3,379
Views: 343,007
0 Hottie of the day, no nudity.
Last Post: trainman
Replies: 25,960
Views: 2,664,954
0 Official XL Forum Random Image Thread (NO NUDITY!)
Last Post: Graywolf
Replies: 49,442
Views: 8,041,574
0 FXDL - Help me please, NADA confusion
Last Post: canoli
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 15
Views: 429
0 Range With EFI 3.3 Gal Tank
Last Post: Mike1nw
Replies: 97
Views: 67,946
0 Tragic MC Museum Fire
Last Post: sprink
Views: 166
0 1275 or 88 or 90 CID for 4-Speed
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 14
Views: 874
0 Keep & Kill
Last Post: Graywolf
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 19,511
Views: 1,165,448
0 Lifespan for Shorai LiFePO4 Battery?
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 83
Views: 4,169
0 Snippets
Last Post: Crusty
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Replies: 405
Views: 45,109
0 Transformer XR1200
Last Post: Davo_137
Replies: 510
Views: 61,608
0 This is gonna hurt.
Last Post: cal43
Replies: 8,219
Views: 1,782,360
0 Hot Chicks on Hot Bikes
Last Post: cal43
Posted On: 6 Hours Ago
Replies: 11,558
Views: 2,366,206
0 Clutch spring question
Last Post: JonesL
Posted On: 7 Hours Ago
Views: 216
0 Boardtracker Project
Last Post: JonesL
Posted On: 7 Hours Ago
Replies: 629
Views: 129,971
0 looking for controls
Last Post: schaffersshovel
Posted On: 8 Hours Ago
Replies: 0
Views: 71
0 Flat Tracker Conversion
Last Post: 45Brit
Posted On: 9 Hours Ago
Replies: 377
Views: 131,535
0 Removing Rear Shock
Last Post: 45Brit
Posted On: 9 Hours Ago
Replies: 11
Views: 479
0 Pistol Braces
Last Post: kitabel
Posted On: 11 Hours Ago
Replies: 50
Views: 3,562
0 gas tank Quick connect leaking
Last Post: packdog
Posted On: 11 Hours Ago
Replies: 6
Views: 400
0 Harley quoted me $1300 for a mini ape install
Last Post: 109Countries
Posted On: 12 Hours Ago
Replies: 187
Views: 44,513
More...
Members Birthdays
jurneyman (79), AdO650 (65), xlsport (63), darth (60), mcsmokinp (56), stalkie (56), unleashed66 (55), 66xlch (55), lownslow (49), hrg (47), Ironduke (45)

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11th January 2020
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1975
doodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond repute

Have you seen this old post?
http://xlforum.net/forums/showpost.p...1&postcount=21
Old 11th January 2020
Flat Track Racer

Sportster/Buell Model: XLX1000-61
Sportster/Buell Year: 1983
spamer80 is a name known to allspamer80 is a name known to allspamer80 is a name known to allspamer80 is a name known to allspamer80 is a name known to allspamer80 is a name known to allspamer80 is a name known to allspamer80 is a name known to allspamer80 is a name known to allspamer80 is a name known to allspamer80 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodah man View Post
Yes, thank you. The new rollers are still on their way anyway. And I'm pretty bad when it comes to any precise things (like drilling). So when it's possible to do anything with specified tool, I'm doing it with tools.
Just don't want the drill to "walk" and somehow damage the tappet body.
Old 13th January 2020

ryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond repute

I have found that lifters that are in need of new rollers often have wear on the bodies and holder bore and are not worth installing a new roller in. And any holder that has been through roller damage is also damaged on the flats that steer the roller and are not repairable or re-useable. The soft aluminum holders get hard bits of debris embedded in them and then the lifter moving against it wears out like it was being ground on.

I Buy new lifters and holders, or oversize lifters and bore the holders to accept them.

Oil with gas in it is a lifters worst enemy, followed by hot environmentally friendly oil (no or low zinc) then dirty oil. The new environmentally friendly oils (anything newer than SH rating) are not formulated for use in your Harley.
Old 14th January 2020
Flat Track Racer

spamer80 is a name known to allspamer80 is a name known to allspamer80 is a name known to allspamer80 is a name known to allspamer80 is a name known to allspamer80 is a name known to allspamer80 is a name known to allspamer80 is a name known to allspamer80 is a name known to allspamer80 is a name known to allspamer80 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryder rick View Post
I have found that lifters that are in need of new rollers often have wear on the bodies and holder bore and are not worth installing a new roller in. And any holder that has been through roller damage is also damaged on the flats that steer the roller and are not repairable or re-useable. The soft aluminum holders get hard bits of debris embedded in them and then the lifter moving against it wears out like it was being ground on.

I Buy new lifters and holders, or oversize lifters and bore the holders to accept them.

Oil with gas in it is a lifters worst enemy, followed by hot environmentally friendly oil (no or low zinc) then dirty oil. The new environmentally friendly oils (anything newer than SH rating) are not formulated for use in your Harley.
Yeah, I know about oil, thank you. When I bought this bike, i went to home from Moscow to Saint-Petersburg on it. 500 miles. Then changed oil immediately. Something green was there. It was already all noisy, so probably it was partially the cause of lifters bearings and cylinders honing end.
I've used Castrol 20w50 4t motorcycle mineral oil since then.
Now I'm going to switch to Liqui Moly hd classic sae50.

And about new lifters - i thought about it but I can't find any good for the price.
Some says Jims are ok, but some says it's already Taiwan now too.
Old 14th January 2020
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XLX
Sportster/Buell Year: 83
Sportster/Buell Year #2: xlh
SHAKY DAVE is a name known to allSHAKY DAVE is a name known to allSHAKY DAVE is a name known to allSHAKY DAVE is a name known to allSHAKY DAVE is a name known to allSHAKY DAVE is a name known to allSHAKY DAVE is a name known to allSHAKY DAVE is a name known to allSHAKY DAVE is a name known to allSHAKY DAVE is a name known to allSHAKY DAVE is a name known to all

I run jims and they are really good.over 50000 miles on them and virtually no wear.i've absolutely never heard about anything that jims has parts made in Taiwan.call them and find out for yourself and let us know
Old 14th January 2020

ryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond repute

As long as they are made to spec and no mystery metal used, who cares where they come from?
Old 15th January 2020
Flat Track Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHAKY DAVE View Post
I run jims and they are really good.over 50000 miles on them and virtually no wear.i've absolutely never heard about anything that jims has parts made in Taiwan.call them and find out for yourself and let us know
Well, $400 for tappets is too big hit for my pocket these days. Do you think they worth it?
Old 15th January 2020
Flat Track Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryder rick View Post
As long as they are made to spec and no mystery metal used, who cares where they come from?
So, can you tell the best overall for price/quality? Just your personal opinion.
Old 15th January 2020

I'd have to trust Jim's.

Or ask Baisley next time I stumble in there.
Old 16th January 2020
Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: xlch
Sportster/Buell Year: 1964
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLCH IR EFI
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1971
Other Motorcycle Model: BMW K1200RS
Other Motorcycle Year: 2001
Iron Mike has a reputation beyond reputeIron Mike has a reputation beyond reputeIron Mike has a reputation beyond reputeIron Mike has a reputation beyond reputeIron Mike has a reputation beyond reputeIron Mike has a reputation beyond reputeIron Mike has a reputation beyond reputeIron Mike has a reputation beyond reputeIron Mike has a reputation beyond reputeIron Mike has a reputation beyond reputeIron Mike has a reputation beyond repute

i have installed lots of Eastern rollers in a PM scenario with no ill results. Inexpensive and simple to install.