The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE FORUM > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Active Threads
0 Keep & Kill
Last Post: fafcpa
Posted On: 14 Minutes Ago
Replies: 15,321
Views: 862,720
0 This week on Craig's list
Last Post: Larry May
Posted On: 28 Minutes Ago
Replies: 4,550
Views: 565,861
0 Getting Hammered
Last Post: Bryan83taco
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 94
Views: 6,676
0 Hot Chicks on Hot Bikes
Last Post: Nibelungen
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 10,547
Views: 1,883,314
0 so where the heck is insane shane?
Last Post: doodah man
Replies: 5
Views: 198
0 Sportster kick stand
Last Post: ldurmon
Replies: 2
Views: 116
0 K&N Air Filter for old SE style backing plate?
Last Post: John Harper
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 7
Views: 286
0 What do you get when you buy a bike ?
Replies: 3
Views: 99
0 never mind
Last Post: IXL2Relax
Replies: 131
Views: 9,692
0 Magneto Sportster's 1964 XLH Restoration Project
Last Post: Larry May
Replies: 22
Views: 1,023
0 Sleeve cylinders?
Last Post: needspeed
Replies: 12
Views: 329
0 Trans/Year Interchangeability Question
Last Post: ferretface
Replies: 175
Views: 5,740
0 ....1
Last Post: Graywolf
Replies: 5,082
Views: 301,177
0 Sportster Cobra seat
Last Post: Ferrous Head
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 14
Views: 360
0 Hottie of the day, no nudity.
Last Post: trainman
Replies: 16,362
Views: 1,593,753
0 How many have converted their 883 to 1200?
Replies: 391
Views: 108,955
0 Crusty's Travels
Last Post: BKB
Replies: 2,737
Views: 387,977
0 Official XL Forum Random Image Thread (NO NUDITY!)
Last Post: Ireeman
Replies: 46,193
Views: 7,320,280
0 Rain pants
Last Post: mikeLI_77
Replies: 5
Views: 108
3 Wtb, Wts, Wtt, Wtg (Ironhead)
Last Post: Rhode Warrior
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Replies: 47
Views: 244,452
0 Riding Classic Harley 1939EL Knucklehead
Last Post: NLXL
Posted On: 6 Hours Ago
Replies: 0
Views: 64
0 Which Battery?
Last Post: 60Gunner
Replies: 54
Views: 15,222
0 lengthen master cylinder
Last Post: kobra50
Replies: 24
Views: 261
3 Shaky Dave Recovery
Last Post: ezmerf
Posted On: 7 Hours Ago
Replies: 152
Views: 15,646
0 Broken bolt holes/ mounts, can they be fixed?
Last Post: NGOT8R
Posted On: 7 Hours Ago
Replies: 8
Views: 233
0 cam lobes
Last Post: RicThompson
Posted On: 9 Hours Ago
Replies: 33
Views: 1,954
0 1970 XLCH Cases - Blown Trans Corner
Last Post: Tim The Grim
Posted On: 9 Hours Ago
Replies: 11
Views: 434
0 `83 XLX rebuid and questions thread
Last Post: spamer80
Posted On: 10 Hours Ago
Replies: 243
Views: 22,226
0 Glyptal?
Last Post: bustert
Posted On: 10 Hours Ago
Replies: 24
Views: 1,131
0 Roads I'd like to ride.
Last Post: Coz
Posted On: 11 Hours Ago
Replies: 2,799
Views: 243,149
More...
Members Birthdays
nvlarry (65), Harby (65), gregor (62), Rainman (62), Dubfire (59), flathead45 (55), Shu (49), matt1971 (49), dgarber12771 (49), grino1200C (41), adamsmd127 (40), ws6envy (36), doomedcobra
Sponsored Links

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 8th December 2019
Flat Track Racer

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1969
Other Motorcycle Model: 111 Ironhorse Outlaw
Other Motorcycle Year: 2004
RicThompson is a glorious beacon of lightRicThompson is a glorious beacon of lightRicThompson is a glorious beacon of lightRicThompson is a glorious beacon of lightRicThompson is a glorious beacon of lightRicThompson is a glorious beacon of lightRicThompson is a glorious beacon of lightRicThompson is a glorious beacon of lightRicThompson is a glorious beacon of lightRicThompson is a glorious beacon of lightRicThompson is a glorious beacon of light

Nitro57xl, excellent talking point many times rocker arm bushings are overlooked.
Old 2 Weeks Ago
Flat Track Racer

RicThompson is a glorious beacon of lightRicThompson is a glorious beacon of lightRicThompson is a glorious beacon of lightRicThompson is a glorious beacon of lightRicThompson is a glorious beacon of lightRicThompson is a glorious beacon of lightRicThompson is a glorious beacon of lightRicThompson is a glorious beacon of lightRicThompson is a glorious beacon of lightRicThompson is a glorious beacon of lightRicThompson is a glorious beacon of light

http://www.truettandosborn.com/Oilho...zingmethod.htm

The above link is for lowering oil return in engines with up to 4 and 5/8 stroke. My interpretation is that there is another method to do it for 4 and 5/8 stroke and longer. Please help me out what other method is there?

http://www.truettandosborn.com/Instr...clearance1.jpg Fine print at bottom has a no weld/braze method where a piece of tubing is inserted. Anyone here have any experience with this?

Last edited by RicThompson; 2 Weeks Ago at 01:37.. Reason: new link and question
Old 2 Weeks Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XLS
Sportster/Buell Year: 1983
T. Clark has much to be proud ofT. Clark has much to be proud ofT. Clark has much to be proud ofT. Clark has much to be proud ofT. Clark has much to be proud ofT. Clark has much to be proud ofT. Clark has much to be proud ofT. Clark has much to be proud ofT. Clark has much to be proud ofT. Clark has much to be proud ofT. Clark has much to be proud of

Probably the measurements they give will work on strokes up to 4 5/8", any longer and the oil return will probably have to be lowered even further. When I had T&O build up a 4 5/8" crank for me I also sent them my barrels. They lowered the holes, bored and fitted stroker pistons for me. Problem solved. Life is complicated enough without looking for trouble. If I was doing it again I would go for a 4 1/2" stroke and mild cams for a street motor. Motor has now done more than 16000 miles with no problems although it does love oil, apparently a common feature of stroker iron heads. Oil is cheap and regular top ups with fresh oil must be good for the motor!
Old 2 Weeks Ago
Drag Race Champion

Sportster/Buell Model: XL racebike in progress
Sportster/Buell Year: 1981
Other Motorcycle Model: Moto Guzzi V11 Lemans
Other Motorcycle Year: 2002
Scott has a brilliant futureScott has a brilliant futureScott has a brilliant futureScott has a brilliant futureScott has a brilliant futureScott has a brilliant futureScott has a brilliant futureScott has a brilliant futureScott has a brilliant futureScott has a brilliant futureScott has a brilliant future

I may have posted this photo before - apologies if so. My shop built cylinders don't have drain holes for the heads. Here is the fitting that the front head will drain into. I'm thinking of using a "T" fitting and draining both front and rear heads into the same spot. I have a few other spots I'm considering, and have gotten some good advice on here.

Old 2 Weeks Ago
Flat Track Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Clark View Post
Probably the measurements they give will work on strokes up to 4 5/8", any longer and the oil return will probably have to be lowered even further. When I had T&O build up a 4 5/8" crank for me I also sent them my barrels. They lowered the holes, bored and fitted stroker pistons for me. Problem solved. Life is complicated enough without looking for trouble. If I was doing it again I would go for a 4 1/2" stroke and mild cams for a street motor. Motor has now done more than 16000 miles with no problems although it does love oil, apparently a common feature of stroker iron heads. Oil is cheap and regular top ups with fresh oil must be good for the motor!
Did you send T&O your engine cases as well? When lowering the oil return in the cylinders a corresponding hole has to be drilled into the cases. On an Ironhead thats' 4 holes. As well as notching the barrels and engine cases for the rods. Anything less than 4.5 inch stroke doesn't require all that but then once it's been done it's done.
Old 2 Weeks Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XLS
Sportster/Buell Year: 1983
T. Clark has much to be proud ofT. Clark has much to be proud ofT. Clark has much to be proud ofT. Clark has much to be proud ofT. Clark has much to be proud ofT. Clark has much to be proud ofT. Clark has much to be proud ofT. Clark has much to be proud ofT. Clark has much to be proud ofT. Clark has much to be proud ofT. Clark has much to be proud of

No, I notched the cases myself. It is not hard, just takes time and T&O have clear instructions on how to do this. S&S may also have instructions too. No need to re-align holes in crank cases, the hole into the cylinder wall is lowered but connects to the original holes that go into the barrel. I understand your issue if your cylinders do not have drain holes. I would suggest contacting T&O for advice. They are very helpful and know what they are doing, been building iron head strokers forever. I am sure they could do any required machining to get it all ready to go together. I sent my parts all the way from Australia for them to work on, don't regret it one bit. Seems like external drains may be the best option for you.
Old 2 Weeks Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: dragbike
Sportster/Buell Year: 1960
mrmom9r has a brilliant futuremrmom9r has a brilliant futuremrmom9r has a brilliant futuremrmom9r has a brilliant futuremrmom9r has a brilliant futuremrmom9r has a brilliant futuremrmom9r has a brilliant futuremrmom9r has a brilliant futuremrmom9r has a brilliant futuremrmom9r has a brilliant futuremrmom9r has a brilliant future

The condition of the rocker bushings aren't a big concern once you realize that there is

an oil hole in the exh. rocker spewing oil at a pretty good rate.

I have built or seen built just about every combination of oil drain .

Real dragrace engines don't drain the oil at all because they don't pump any up there.

Nothing about oil drains is as important as piston clearance on a stroker.

No amount of oil will save a piston with inadequate clearance.

On a street bike I consider it as nothing but an appearance issue, if you want

to look Hi-Po lots of oil lines running everywhere sure looks impressive to the

uninformed.
Old 2 Weeks Ago
Flat Track Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmom9r View Post
The condition of the rocker bushings aren't a big concern once you realize that there is

an oil hole in the exh. rocker spewing oil at a pretty good rate.

I have built or seen built just about every combination of oil drain .

Real dragrace engines don't drain the oil at all because they don't pump any up there.

Nothing about oil drains is as important as piston clearance on a stroker.

No amount of oil will save a piston with inadequate clearance.

On a street bike I consider it as nothing but an appearance issue, if you want

to look Hi-Po lots of oil lines running everywhere sure looks impressive to the

uninformed.
Speaking of piston clearance what do you recommend I set those forged pistons up at? .004?
I believe I have been a victim of setting up to tight in the past on my 93 inch Shovelhead. The crown of the piston separated from the skirt. Crown stuck at top of cylinder while skirt still attached to rod continued to travel up and down.
Sponsored Links
Old 2 Weeks Ago
Drag Race Champion

Sportster/Buell Model: XL racebike in progress
Sportster/Buell Year: 1981
Other Motorcycle Model: Moto Guzzi V11 Lemans
Other Motorcycle Year: 2002
Scott has a brilliant futureScott has a brilliant futureScott has a brilliant futureScott has a brilliant futureScott has a brilliant futureScott has a brilliant futureScott has a brilliant futureScott has a brilliant futureScott has a brilliant futureScott has a brilliant futureScott has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by RicThompson View Post
Speaking of piston clearance what do you recommend I set those forged pistons up at? .004?
I believe I have been a victim of setting up to tight in the past on my 93 inch Shovelhead. The crown of the piston separated from the skirt. Crown stuck at top of cylinder while skirt still attached to rod continued to travel up and down.
I bought a set of used J-E forged pistons (new ones are NLA). The seller stressed nothing less than .004” clearance because they were forged. I visited my machinist friend with my cylinders and new (to me) pistons. I hesitantly mentioned the seller’s clearance recommendation, not wanting to imply my friend didn’t know what he was doing. In fact, he had already determined the pistons were forged because of their weight and had already planned on .004” clearance. I didn’t even need to say anything.
Old 2 Weeks Ago
Flat Track Racer

This is what S&S shows for their forged line.
.0035" to .004" .0045" to .0055"
Tight fit .0035" to .004" loose fit .0045" to .0055"
Adding that loose fit will shorten life of pistons and rings with caution that tight fit requires significant adherence to proper break in procedure.