The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE FORUM > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Notices

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Active Threads
0 Ironhead engine problem?
Last Post: doodah man
Posted On: 32 Minutes Ago
Replies: 14
Views: 298
0 Another question re: Microsquirt
Last Post: gl90hog
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 21
Views: 419
0 North central Mass
Last Post: Crusty
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 9
Views: 150
0 NOS cases
Last Post: davixlrtt
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 3
Views: 145
0 Keep & Kill
Last Post: Crusty
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 25,432
Views: 1,488,035
0 a definitive sportster chain conversion pros and cons list
Last Post: John Harper
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 15
Views: 308
0 XL Bomber - Portuguese project
Last Post: Akeemking
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 163
Views: 62,558
3 Wtb, Wts, Wtt, Wtg (Buells)
Last Post: Folkie
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Replies: 1
Views: 14,983
3 Wtb, Wts, Wtt, Wtg (XRs)
Views: 9,736
3 Wtb, Wts, Wtt, Wtg (EFIs)
Views: 81,802
3 Wtb, Wts, Wtt, Wtg (Rubber Mounts)
Views: 49,991
3 Wtb, Wts, Wtt, Wtg (Evos)
Replies: 3
Views: 86,811
0 900 clutch in a 1000 engine Strociek
Last Post: DR DICK
Replies: 8
Views: 302
3 Wtb, Wts, Wtt, Wtg (Ironhead)
Replies: 10
Views: 287,723
0 PLEASE READ THIS Before You Post In 'The BUY - SELL - TRADE Zone'!
Replies: 0
Views: 35
0 Strociek Project Help Needed
Last Post: DR DICK
Replies: 25
Views: 1,001
0 BEWARE Of SCAMMERS!
Posted On: 6 Hours Ago
Views: 44
0 Hottie of the day, no nudity.
Last Post: Stairman
Posted On: 7 Hours Ago
Replies: 32,944
Views: 3,867,668
0 Official XL Forum Random Image Thread (NO NUDITY!)
Posted On: 7 Hours Ago
Replies: 52,433
Views: 8,843,003
0 Showa 54000088 Shocks
Last Post: d10221
Posted On: 9 Hours Ago
Views: 34
0 1100 bathtub heads on a 883?
Last Post: Tomcatt
Posted On: 14 Hours Ago
Views: 84
0 04 Sportster refurb and build.
Last Post: JimVonBaden
Posted On: 20 Hours Ago
Replies: 24
Views: 1,130
0 KT - 2021 - You're In It Now
Last Post: sportsterpaul
Posted On: 20 Hours Ago
Replies: 75
Views: 14,117
0 1968 ex barn dweller thread
Last Post: davixlrtt
Posted On: 21 Hours Ago
Replies: 204
Views: 20,762
0 Hot Rods, Rat Rods, and Customs.
Posted On: 23 Hours Ago
Replies: 4,808
Views: 952,898
0 Setting Timing, 1964 & Earlier Mag
Last Post: needspeed
Posted On: 1 Day Ago
Replies: 32
Views: 16,269
0 never mind
Last Post: IXL2Relax
Replies: 300
Views: 57,275
0 XR1000 black and orange pics?
Last Post: 84rzv500r
Replies: 6
Views: 454
0 my sunday driver...
Last Post: 84rzv500r
Replies: 132
Views: 26,386
0 XR1000 Pushrod Tube Leaks
Last Post: KRTTXRTT
Views: 424
More...
Members Birthdays
excel50 (80), blazer95 (71), mycle1000, Barryn37 (60), QBALL (60), paulieb (59), cfranz (48), BMXATV (47), ravyn3 (42), Texas_Wild, hillpope (39)

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11th June 2021
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: Ironhead xlch
Sportster/Buell Year: 1979
79Harleydavidson is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Breather

Ok so Im unsure if this is a being over anal or if I need to look more. I run standard 20w50 Cam2 motor oil. I got the oil level good, and fired the bike up yesterday. I still have yet to do a beat run on it but ran it a few times around my neighborhood (big ol figure 8) just putted around and watched the breather. While driving it seemed to be running great. Nothing "puking" so to speak. As soon as I got in the driveway which mind you is a downhill, It sat idling and I watched with every puff just drops of oil come out. With that , should i just route a hose up the front forks so the vent still works and oil drains down? Should I be running a thicker oil as well? Ive typically ran 20-50 vs the 50 or 60 weight especially for spring and fall up here. if I pull the genny, can I see the reed valve and should I check if the oil drain hole is blocked up as well? Other than that the blue smoke on the rear cylinder cleared up and she ran like she did before my array of issues started this year. Thanks again for all the help guys.
Old 11th June 2021
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1982
BigMek has a reputation beyond reputeBigMek has a reputation beyond reputeBigMek has a reputation beyond reputeBigMek has a reputation beyond reputeBigMek has a reputation beyond reputeBigMek has a reputation beyond reputeBigMek has a reputation beyond reputeBigMek has a reputation beyond reputeBigMek has a reputation beyond reputeBigMek has a reputation beyond reputeBigMek has a reputation beyond repute

Are you using the upper or lower breather port? If you're using the lower port the oil will go out the breather hose before it has a chance to go back through the drain hole. One way to deal with this (IronMick's idea I believe) is to run that hose all the way to the end of your exhaust bracket - that way any oil that drips out won't end up on your rear tire.

In Late 82 they upped the size of the oil slinger washer to 1-3/4", so that might be something to consider doing. Stock 79 washer is only 1-5/8".

Yes you can see the breather valve if you remove the generator, but even the FSM doesn't have a way to test it so I don't think it would help you much.

I wouldn't point the hose up if you're using the lower port. Oil will pool at the low point and stop the airflow. The outlet of the lower breather port is below the oil drain hole, so there's no way for that oil to get back into the gearcase.
Old 11th June 2021
Biker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMek View Post
Are you using the upper or lower breather port? If you're using the lower port the oil will go out the breather hose before it has a chance to go back through the drain hole. One way to deal with this (IronMick's idea I believe) is to run that hose all the way to the end of your exhaust bracket - that way any oil that drips out won't end up on your rear tire.

In Late 82 they upped the size of the oil slinger washer to 1-3/4", so that might be something to consider doing. Stock 79 washer is only 1-5/8".

Yes you can see the breather valve if you remove the generator, but even the FSM doesn't have a way to test it so I don't think it would help you much.

I wouldn't point the hose up if you're using the lower port. Oil will pool at the low point and stop the airflow. The outlet of the lower breather port is below the oil drain hole, so there's no way for that oil to get back into the gearcase.
Ill look into the washer change as you were talking about. Mine is a 79. Im not sure what you mean lower port. Im talking about the port on the upper case where the generator is located. Ill have to look for Mics post about the breather routed to the back as well.
Old 11th June 2021
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Year: 1982
BigMek has a reputation beyond reputeBigMek has a reputation beyond reputeBigMek has a reputation beyond reputeBigMek has a reputation beyond reputeBigMek has a reputation beyond reputeBigMek has a reputation beyond reputeBigMek has a reputation beyond reputeBigMek has a reputation beyond reputeBigMek has a reputation beyond reputeBigMek has a reputation beyond reputeBigMek has a reputation beyond repute

There are two connections for the breather, one at 6 o'clock and one at 10 o'clock as viewed from the right side of the bike. Originally the 10 o'clock port would have been routed into the air cleaner and the 6 o'clock port would have been plugged, but a lot of people switched them for looks.

Edit: Photo from the Sportsterpedia showing both connections.
http://sportsterpedia.com/lib/exe/fe...2_by_83xlx.jpg

Last edited by BigMek; 11th June 2021 at 20:54.. Reason: Added photo link
Old 11th June 2021
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year: '68
Sportster/Buell Model #2: FXR
Sportster/Buell Year #2: '89
Other Motorcycle Model: R50/5
Other Motorcycle Year: '73
Fivecats has a reputation beyond reputeFivecats has a reputation beyond reputeFivecats has a reputation beyond reputeFivecats has a reputation beyond reputeFivecats has a reputation beyond reputeFivecats has a reputation beyond reputeFivecats has a reputation beyond reputeFivecats has a reputation beyond reputeFivecats has a reputation beyond reputeFivecats has a reputation beyond reputeFivecats has a reputation beyond repute

Great stuff here...
Old 12th June 2021
Biker

Ok so i took her for a ride, and as it sits and idles you hear almost a squeek sound coming from the port, oil still coming out, no blue smoke out of the tail pipes if i cover the hole shes def pumping air. Once it cools off im gunna pull the genny and check the washer and make sure its ok and not getting loose as wrll. Im getting to that im stumped point.
Old 12th June 2021
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: Xl1250S
Sportster/Buell Year: 98
Other Motorcycle Model: Kawasaki Vulcan 500
Other Motorcycle Year: 95
Hippysmack has a reputation beyond reputeHippysmack has a reputation beyond reputeHippysmack has a reputation beyond reputeHippysmack has a reputation beyond reputeHippysmack has a reputation beyond reputeHippysmack has a reputation beyond reputeHippysmack has a reputation beyond reputeHippysmack has a reputation beyond reputeHippysmack has a reputation beyond reputeHippysmack has a reputation beyond reputeHippysmack has a reputation beyond repute

Supposedly you can skeet a little WD-40 in the breather hole (those with a reed valve only) to clear it out.
Here is the IH breather valve page in the Sportsterpedia.
http://www.sportsterpedia.com/doku.p...k:ih:engmech07

Unless the stainless steel reed is broke, it may just have junk under it keeping it from working right.
It should pump at pulses .... especially at idle. It's not good to cover the hole.
The reed is suppose to close on upstroke and open on downstroke.
The motor should have a slight vacuum in the crankcase due to the reed working properly.

In Search of Fuel, Sunshine and a Steady Idle.

Reference the XLFORUM'S Sportsterpedia
for additional technical information & advice
Old 12th June 2021
Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: xlh 1000 69 79 xlch
Sportster/Buell Year: 1977
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 80 FXE 82FLH 83FXR
Other Motorcycle Model: 78FLH 79xlch 96xl 79xlh
randy3934 has a brilliant futurerandy3934 has a brilliant futurerandy3934 has a brilliant futurerandy3934 has a brilliant futurerandy3934 has a brilliant futurerandy3934 has a brilliant futurerandy3934 has a brilliant futurerandy3934 has a brilliant futurerandy3934 has a brilliant futurerandy3934 has a brilliant futurerandy3934 has a brilliant future

just how full is your oil tank?
Old 12th June 2021
Biker

Quote:
Originally Posted by randy3934 View Post
just how full is your oil tank?
The tank is about a quarter way up over the lower index. After ive ran it a few times and rechecked to make sure its not overfull.
Old 12th June 2021
Rider Of The Iron Steed

Sportster/Buell Year: 1978
IronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond repute

That squeak you are hearing is common, it is the reason the valve is called a foo-foo. It is an indication that the valve itself is crudded up somewhat and needs to be cleaned. I have treated it exactly as Hippysmack recommends, with a squirt of WD-40.

Visit Mick's WebSite
[And Check Out My Autobiog]