The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE FORUM > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Active Threads
0 Tired of hearing the Sportster is a girls bike (The one and only Girly Bike Thread)
Last Post: Maxeffort
Posted On: 10 Minutes Ago
Replies: 3,909
Views: 764,089
0 My Iron
Last Post: Highly-Dangerous
Posted On: 17 Minutes Ago
Replies: 6
Views: 1,165
0 Sparkplugs & Sparkplug Wires
Last Post: ReddTigger
Posted On: 34 Minutes Ago
Replies: 3
Views: 70
0 69/50 Fest: The 50th Anniversary of the 1969 Sportster (Fall 2019 GBB) 9/14/19
Last Post: brucstoudt
Posted On: 34 Minutes Ago
Replies: 61
Views: 4,170
0 Bad Primary Oil Leak
Last Post: ezmerf
Posted On: 39 Minutes Ago
Replies: 13
Views: 375
6 SPORTY BOBBER PICTURES
Last Post: wedge
Posted On: 40 Minutes Ago
Replies: 6,010
Views: 5,438,647
0 dual carb heads on ebay
Last Post: brucstoudt
Posted On: 47 Minutes Ago
Replies: 9
Views: 524
0 Hottie of the day, no nudity.
Last Post: trainman
Posted On: 52 Minutes Ago
Replies: 13,722
Views: 1,264,046
0 Helmets Please...
Last Post: webman94
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 238
Views: 54,543
0 Need help with S&S GB carb
Last Post: RKN
Replies: 15
Views: 331
0 Lake Ozark Bikefest
Last Post: Bow only
Replies: 26
Views: 529
0 The TAT Sportster
Last Post: steveolds
Replies: 40
Views: 960
0 Have my cake and eat it too? 1275 + 570s + CVJ
Last Post: 60Gunner
Replies: 7
Views: 155
0 Rush or Khromewerks slip ons?
Last Post: Glamazon
Replies: 47
Views: 939
0 This is gonna hurt.
Last Post: sportsterpaul
Replies: 7,752
Views: 1,546,990
0 70 XLCH Piston, Connecting rod issue
Last Post: Wilkinson949
Replies: 56
Views: 2,266
0 An Ohio Meet 'N' Eat
Last Post: gravydog
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 16
Views: 435
8 Never Forget
Last Post: joes95bobber
Replies: 37
Views: 1,156
0 Crusty's Travels
Last Post: Crusty
Replies: 2,393
Views: 309,076
0 What did you do for your sporty Today?
Last Post: boomerguy
Replies: 6,337
Views: 812,985
0 How many miles are on your sporty?
Last Post: Hellbent_4
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Replies: 1,180
Views: 287,651
0 Poll: If you had to have a stock sporty, what would it be?
Last Post: Dave48
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Replies: 584
Views: 173,485
14 98 just upgraded to 1250 from 1200
Last Post: SeaCur
Posted On: 6 Hours Ago
Replies: 8
Views: 192
0 Tour of Honor
Last Post: ParrotHead
Replies: 5
Views: 283
0 hmmm, whaddaya think? (Footpeg Location)
Last Post: slcharger
Replies: 111
Views: 24,735
0 Further forward mids on pre-2014 models
Last Post: Folkie
Posted On: 7 Hours Ago
Replies: 1
Views: 69
0 7” Headlight conversion on solid mount
Last Post: Toejam503
Replies: 6
Views: 162
0 Finally back in the red zone
Last Post: smm1200
Replies: 0
Views: 43
0 Buell heads and cams!
Last Post: smm1200
Replies: 4
Views: 308
0 Sportster front wheel/tire sizes
Last Post: Toejam503
Replies: 10
Views: 363
More...
Sponsored Links

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Flat Track Racer

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1974
Other Motorcycle Model: KX 250F, XR200
Other Motorcycle Year: 2005
smac74 is a name known to allsmac74 is a name known to allsmac74 is a name known to allsmac74 is a name known to allsmac74 is a name known to allsmac74 is a name known to allsmac74 is a name known to allsmac74 is a name known to allsmac74 is a name known to allsmac74 is a name known to allsmac74 is a name known to all

So, I've load tested the battery- it stayed pretty consistant at about 12.8V. I've checked the connections and everything seems pretty clean. I've done the roll it in gear for a second and then hit start. Lastly, I just put another brand new AGM battery in, and the exact same thing happens. "Click". I hear the solenoid, I feel the starter try to turn, but that's it. But now where before it would mostly start on the trickle charger, it wont turn over now, even with the brand new battery AND the trickle charger. Beginning to think I may have a bad starter?
Old 4 Weeks Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL
Sportster/Buell Year: 1971
JonesL has a brilliant futureJonesL has a brilliant futureJonesL has a brilliant futureJonesL has a brilliant futureJonesL has a brilliant futureJonesL has a brilliant futureJonesL has a brilliant futureJonesL has a brilliant futureJonesL has a brilliant futureJonesL has a brilliant futureJonesL has a brilliant future

Starter might just need servicing.
Solenoid contacts clean and bright, not pitted? Disc on the plunger OK, or pitted and burnt? Pitted surface against pitted surface makes for a very poor connection.
Starter motor brushes? If they're worn or don't have a lot of spring tension, you won't get good amperage to the armature. Commutator should be bright, not showing a film/layer of grease/dust off brushes/coating of insulating gunk.
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Rider Of The Iron Steed

Sportster/Buell Year: 1978
IronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond repute

Ironhead Refurbish and Bench Test Starter Motor
http://xlforum.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1718915

How to Bench Test a Solenoid, pic & vid
http://xlforum.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1525907

Visit Mick's WebSite
[And Check Out My Autobiog]
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Flat Track Racer

smac74 is a name known to allsmac74 is a name known to allsmac74 is a name known to allsmac74 is a name known to allsmac74 is a name known to allsmac74 is a name known to allsmac74 is a name known to allsmac74 is a name known to allsmac74 is a name known to allsmac74 is a name known to allsmac74 is a name known to all

So now I've removed the starter and cleaned it. It was filthy inside. That did not fix the problem. Now I've pretty much narrowed it down to the starter solenoid. It clicks hard but does not pass current through to the motor. Looking at the FSM though, I'm a bit confused. The large stud should come from the batt and have 12V-it does. The starter control circuit should pass 12V on to the small stud when I hit Start- it does. The large stud that connects to the starter motor directly never sees voltage and I would assume that I have a solenoid issue, but the FSM says that that stud is connected to the battery (-) which doesn't make sense to me. I have continuity between that stud and the chassis ground, so I guess the FSM is right, but shouldn't that stud be passing 12V on to the starter when the solenoid engages?
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Flat Track Champion

Sportster/Buell Model: xlch
Sportster/Buell Model #2: xlh
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1974
Other Motorcycle Model: xl1200cp
Other Motorcycle Year: 2011
The Doctor71 has a brilliant futureThe Doctor71 has a brilliant futureThe Doctor71 has a brilliant futureThe Doctor71 has a brilliant futureThe Doctor71 has a brilliant futureThe Doctor71 has a brilliant futureThe Doctor71 has a brilliant futureThe Doctor71 has a brilliant futureThe Doctor71 has a brilliant futureThe Doctor71 has a brilliant futureThe Doctor71 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by smac74 View Post
but the FSM says that that stud is connected to the battery (-) which doesn't make sense to me.
My 1974 FSM (page 5-2D & page 5-3) doesn't read this way. (or at least I'm not seeing it).

So where, exactly, are you reading this ?
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Flat Track Racer

I was misreading the FSM. The pic I was looking at in the Starter Solenoid section appears to be for testing purposes. My mistake. But that still doesn't explain why I would have continuity between the stud for the starter and the chassis ground. However it may be part of the problem with the part. Going to dig in deeper in a little while.
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Flat Track Champion

Sportster/Buell Model: xlch
Sportster/Buell Model #2: xlh
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1974
Other Motorcycle Model: xl1200cp
Other Motorcycle Year: 2011
The Doctor71 has a brilliant futureThe Doctor71 has a brilliant futureThe Doctor71 has a brilliant futureThe Doctor71 has a brilliant futureThe Doctor71 has a brilliant futureThe Doctor71 has a brilliant futureThe Doctor71 has a brilliant futureThe Doctor71 has a brilliant futureThe Doctor71 has a brilliant futureThe Doctor71 has a brilliant futureThe Doctor71 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by smac74 View Post
I have continuity between that stud and the chassis ground, so I guess the FSM is right, but shouldn't that stud be passing 12V on to the starter when the solenoid engages?
Dunno how you're taking this measurement.

Do you have all wires disconnected from the solenoid ? If not, one possibility..... if the cable between the solenoid & starter motor is still connected, your multimeter is seeing "chassis ground" through the starter motor. (This would be normal).

BTW..... Figure 5-7 on Page 5-3 of the 1974 FSM, shows the "Starter Motor Terminal" internally connected to the coil inside the solenoid. I have not personally verified this on my own bike, but this may also account for the "chassis ground" your multimeter is seeing.
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Flat Track Racer

So I get how I would read continuity through the coil. Hadn't thought of that.

Took off the solenoid and tested it according to Micks testing video, and it tested OK by those standards. All the bits and pieces look good but I checked and cleaned them up upon reinstallation. Mounting bolts were "snug", I wouldn't call them Tight, so I made them tight when I put it back together. Top mounting bolt was stripped out so I tapped it and installed a new bolt. I wasn't sure if this may have been an issue.

Now it seems to work more often, but not always. Maybe 3 out of 5 stabs at the starter button, as opposed to 1 out of 10. I'm not getting the voltage to pass through the solenoid every time. 12V is always there, on the battery and starter circuit studs, but it doesn't always get through the solenoid.

Can a starter solenoid be bad but still test as OK?
Sponsored Links
Old 4 Weeks Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: Roadster-Glide
Sportster/Buell Year: 2004
dieselvette has a brilliant futuredieselvette has a brilliant futuredieselvette has a brilliant futuredieselvette has a brilliant futuredieselvette has a brilliant futuredieselvette has a brilliant futuredieselvette has a brilliant futuredieselvette has a brilliant futuredieselvette has a brilliant futuredieselvette has a brilliant futuredieselvette has a brilliant future

When testing the solenoid, is it under load? It may pass voltage when you read it with a meter with no load. The best way to know that it's making a good connection is to put one test lead on the terminal that connects to the battery, and the other on the terminal that feeds the motor. (Not sure if thats possible with your solenoid?) Between these two terminals you should see:
Not engaged: battery voltage
When starter is running but not installed: 0 volts
When starter is installed and turning over the motor (or trying): less than 1 volt

If this all checks out, you can do the same test from battery positive terminal to starter terminal.

This is a voltage drop test.

If you measure volts under load, that is Voltage drop. Too much voltage drop is very hard on motors, and can cause overheating ahich exacerbates the problem.

If men can build it, men can fix it. - Tim Allen

2004 1200 Roadster Custom-Electra-Glide-Sport-Touring-Edition
SE air cleaner w/venting routed outside a/c
Supertrapp 2:1 pipe - usually 20 discs w/closed endcap
Stock CV carb w/ Yost tube + DS idle mixture screw
Cycle Electric 38A charging system
TC88A ignition
0.030 head gasket, zero deck-height
Hammer 570 cams
Bronze oil pump gear, updated oil pump
30-tooth HDI belt sprocket (137-tooth belt)
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Flat Track Racer

When I bench tested the solenoid, it was not under load. Testing while installed should be a good load test, and when I do that, its all or nothing. No voltage gets through the solenoid. Voltage passes, it turns over and fires. No voltage passes, "Click!" and nothing else. I've made a discovery that I'm now trying to figure out in another thread I just started regarding this issue.