The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE FORUM > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Active Threads
0 Tired of hearing the Sportster is a girls bike (The one and only Girly Bike Thread)
Last Post: Maxeffort
Posted On: 9 Minutes Ago
Replies: 3,909
Views: 764,089
0 My Iron
Last Post: Highly-Dangerous
Posted On: 15 Minutes Ago
Replies: 6
Views: 1,165
0 Sparkplugs & Sparkplug Wires
Last Post: ReddTigger
Posted On: 32 Minutes Ago
Replies: 3
Views: 70
0 69/50 Fest: The 50th Anniversary of the 1969 Sportster (Fall 2019 GBB) 9/14/19
Last Post: brucstoudt
Posted On: 33 Minutes Ago
Replies: 61
Views: 4,170
0 Bad Primary Oil Leak
Last Post: ezmerf
Posted On: 38 Minutes Ago
Replies: 13
Views: 375
6 SPORTY BOBBER PICTURES
Last Post: wedge
Posted On: 38 Minutes Ago
Replies: 6,010
Views: 5,438,647
0 dual carb heads on ebay
Last Post: brucstoudt
Posted On: 46 Minutes Ago
Replies: 9
Views: 524
0 Hottie of the day, no nudity.
Last Post: trainman
Posted On: 51 Minutes Ago
Replies: 13,722
Views: 1,264,046
0 Helmets Please...
Last Post: webman94
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 238
Views: 54,543
0 Need help with S&S GB carb
Last Post: RKN
Replies: 15
Views: 331
0 Lake Ozark Bikefest
Last Post: Bow only
Replies: 26
Views: 529
0 The TAT Sportster
Last Post: steveolds
Replies: 40
Views: 960
0 Have my cake and eat it too? 1275 + 570s + CVJ
Last Post: 60Gunner
Replies: 7
Views: 155
0 Rush or Khromewerks slip ons?
Last Post: Glamazon
Replies: 47
Views: 939
0 This is gonna hurt.
Last Post: sportsterpaul
Replies: 7,752
Views: 1,546,990
0 70 XLCH Piston, Connecting rod issue
Last Post: Wilkinson949
Replies: 56
Views: 2,266
0 An Ohio Meet 'N' Eat
Last Post: gravydog
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 16
Views: 435
8 Never Forget
Last Post: joes95bobber
Replies: 37
Views: 1,156
0 Crusty's Travels
Last Post: Crusty
Replies: 2,393
Views: 309,076
0 What did you do for your sporty Today?
Last Post: boomerguy
Replies: 6,337
Views: 812,985
0 How many miles are on your sporty?
Last Post: Hellbent_4
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Replies: 1,180
Views: 287,651
0 Poll: If you had to have a stock sporty, what would it be?
Last Post: Dave48
Replies: 584
Views: 173,485
14 98 just upgraded to 1250 from 1200
Last Post: SeaCur
Replies: 8
Views: 192
0 Tour of Honor
Last Post: ParrotHead
Posted On: 6 Hours Ago
Replies: 5
Views: 283
0 hmmm, whaddaya think? (Footpeg Location)
Last Post: slcharger
Replies: 111
Views: 24,735
0 Further forward mids on pre-2014 models
Last Post: Folkie
Replies: 1
Views: 69
0 7” Headlight conversion on solid mount
Last Post: Toejam503
Posted On: 7 Hours Ago
Replies: 6
Views: 162
0 Finally back in the red zone
Last Post: smm1200
Replies: 0
Views: 43
0 Buell heads and cams!
Last Post: smm1200
Replies: 4
Views: 308
0 Sportster front wheel/tire sizes
Last Post: Toejam503
Replies: 10
Views: 363
More...
Sponsored Links

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 4 Weeks Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL
Sportster/Buell Year: 1971
JonesL has a brilliant futureJonesL has a brilliant futureJonesL has a brilliant futureJonesL has a brilliant futureJonesL has a brilliant futureJonesL has a brilliant futureJonesL has a brilliant futureJonesL has a brilliant futureJonesL has a brilliant futureJonesL has a brilliant futureJonesL has a brilliant future

If everything; bendix (called the "Starter Drive Gear Unit" in the parts manual), its shaft, etc. all the way through to the starter motor turns then yes. If the bendix alone turns then the thing is slipping inside. Mine "felt tight" and kept testing fine on the bench but wouldn't grab when trying to turn the engine over. Before I gave in and admitted defeat, I had my starter out and back in so many times I though about replacing the bolts with zippers.
A word of advice; There's a thrust washer on the end of the bendix shaft where it plugs into the bearing in the primary case cover. Make sure it doesn't get away into the primary as you remove the starter 'cause it usually ends up being stuck to the inside of the primary cover by nothing more than a thin film of oil and is easy to dislodge.
And make sure it's on the bendix shaft when you reassemble. A dab of grease will hold it there.
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: Ironhead Sportster
Sportster/Buell Year: 1975
USAFpj is just really niceUSAFpj is just really niceUSAFpj is just really niceUSAFpj is just really niceUSAFpj is just really niceUSAFpj is just really niceUSAFpj is just really niceUSAFpj is just really niceUSAFpj is just really niceUSAFpj is just really niceUSAFpj is just really nice

SOLVED...

I'm normally not a fan of just pulling parts in an attempt to find trouble. However, after pulling the battery tray, tray support, and the solenoid, I placed the combo on the workbench.

I knew there was slop, but all the XLH videos showed the same slop, and the end of the starter shaft wasn't being supported by the roller bearings in the primary cover, so slop was expected.

Until I pulled the starter shaft and looked at the end that goes into the opposite roller bearing...

The bearing isn't rusty, but is seized and not one of them rolls. Anyone have a solid jack shaft for a 75?
Old 4 Weeks Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

JonesL has a brilliant futureJonesL has a brilliant futureJonesL has a brilliant futureJonesL has a brilliant futureJonesL has a brilliant futureJonesL has a brilliant futureJonesL has a brilliant futureJonesL has a brilliant futureJonesL has a brilliant futureJonesL has a brilliant futureJonesL has a brilliant future

The shaft has definite problems. Still curious as to bendix condition. I'd seriously consider replacing it with a fresh one since you've already got it this far apart.
Slap it back together and find the problem still exists is something I've been known to do.
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Biker

USAFpj is just really niceUSAFpj is just really niceUSAFpj is just really niceUSAFpj is just really niceUSAFpj is just really niceUSAFpj is just really niceUSAFpj is just really niceUSAFpj is just really niceUSAFpj is just really niceUSAFpj is just really niceUSAFpj is just really nice

Yes, sir- that's advice I will take; already paid good money for it! I see that most of the shafts these days are made in Taiwan...

Always something..
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

ryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond repute

Nothing wrong with this one.

SPORTSTER-starter-jackshaft-1967-1980

Be sure and replace that bearing as well.

65-86-Panhead-Shovelhead-STARTER-SHAFT-HOUSING-BEARING-9062
Old 3 Weeks Ago
Biker

After installing the new bendix back onto the new shaft, attaching the solenoid, and cursing the battery mounting bracket for over an hour, I finally got everything attached back on the bike. With fresh battery, and not caring that fuel was pouring out of the small fuel filter and float, I hit the start button. Got a little action. Turned off the fuel, opened the throttle wide open, and hit the start button again...

After sitting for 28 years, my Dad's XLH came to life and scared the crap out of me and my 2 boys; I surely didn't think it would start!

Unfortunately, I spend months away overseas for work, and I leave again very soon. But when I return, I only have to put a new primary gasket on, and attach the balanced wheels, and she'll be ready for her first (of many) shake down runs.
Old 3 Weeks Ago
Air-Cooled Forever

Sportster/Buell Model: XL 1200 C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
Sportster/Buell Model #2: (Prev.Own)XLH Milw.Spec.
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1981
Toejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond repute

At least while your gone, you'll have a smile on your face and a story to tell, when you think of the bike!
Old 3 Weeks Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Glad to hear you got the starter problem ironed out. Now you can look forward to many riding miles when you get back.

"After sitting for 28 years, my Dad's XLH came to life and scared the crap out of me and my 2 boys; I surely didn't think it would start!"

Hey, what did you expect it to do? It's a Sportster.

Happy riding.
Sponsored Links
Old 3 Weeks Ago
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1974
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLS
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1980
ezmerf has much to be proud ofezmerf has much to be proud ofezmerf has much to be proud ofezmerf has much to be proud ofezmerf has much to be proud ofezmerf has much to be proud ofezmerf has much to be proud ofezmerf has much to be proud ofezmerf has much to be proud ofezmerf has much to be proud ofezmerf has much to be proud of

Just think soon you'll be passing it on to your boys.What did the bearing look like?
Old 3 Weeks Ago
Biker

The bearing 'looked' good. But when i stuck my pinky finger in it, none of the rollers moved either individually, or as a unit. No visible rust, though.