The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE FORUM > Sportster Motorcycle Motor / Engine > Sportster Motorcycle Engine Conversions
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Notices

Sportster Motorcycle Engine Conversions Advice, questions, and tips for 1200, 1250, 1340, 1450 etc... for Sportster and Buell motorcycle engine conversions

Active Threads
0 This week on Craig's list
Last Post: brucstoudt
Posted On: 5 Minutes Ago
Replies: 5,341
Views: 857,917
0 Keep & Kill
Last Post: Graywolf
Posted On: 15 Minutes Ago
Replies: 24,054
Views: 1,418,057
0 Single fire dual fire ignition
Last Post: Ferrous Head
Posted On: 29 Minutes Ago
Replies: 5
Views: 123
0 1979 iron head sportster exhaust
Posted On: 33 Minutes Ago
Replies: 2
Views: 94
0 Help & advice needed
Posted On: 36 Minutes Ago
Replies: 9
Views: 258
0 Back to factory ign mod help
Last Post: IXL2Relax
Posted On: 49 Minutes Ago
Replies: 2
Views: 48
0 Easy start cam choice
Posted On: 50 Minutes Ago
Replies: 74
Views: 1,741
0 Power Vision map for Hammer 1275
Last Post: John Harper
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Views: 116
0 1972 Build thread please subscribe
Last Post: Gold Member
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 163
Views: 21,802
0 Wire wheel hubs
Last Post: LenC
Replies: 0
Views: 23
0 Iree's late night cafe
Last Post: ~Grind~
Replies: 2,084
Views: 337,939
0 teflon buttons or circlips?
Last Post: thefrenchowl
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 14
Views: 447
0 Anyone go racing last weekend?
Last Post: Tinz
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Replies: 3,359
Views: 375,774
0 Sources for new/used cast front wheels
Last Post: 84rzv500r
Posted On: 10 Hours Ago
Views: 220
0 Transformer XR1200
Last Post: Davo_137
Posted On: 13 Hours Ago
Replies: 590
Views: 78,449
0 This is gonna hurt.
Last Post: speedyrette
Posted On: 14 Hours Ago
Replies: 8,833
Views: 2,044,656
0 2008 xl1200c
Last Post: Tyler45
Posted On: 15 Hours Ago
Replies: 7
Views: 259
0 The Strociek Project
Posted On: 15 Hours Ago
Replies: 43
Views: 2,157
0 What song do you have stuck in your head?
Last Post: iNSaNeSHaNe
Posted On: 17 Hours Ago
Replies: 2,386
Views: 247,237
0 Best head casting for porting Question
Last Post: ryder rick
Posted On: 17 Hours Ago
Replies: 88
Views: 17,984
0 Upper Support Bracket Installation
Posted On: 18 Hours Ago
Replies: 31
Views: 1,228
0 Where To Get Free Air
Last Post: RockerRider
Posted On: 18 Hours Ago
Replies: 0
Views: 79
0 My 99 883 c
Last Post: 99-883-c
Posted On: 20 Hours Ago
Replies: 37
Views: 2,434
0 05 1200R cylinder oil leak and clacking
Last Post: Hippysmack
Posted On: 1 Day Ago
Replies: 57
Views: 3,682
0 Shovster build take2
Last Post: RicThompson
Replies: 254
Views: 28,871
0 Hot Rods, Rat Rods, and Customs.
Last Post: IvanIron
Replies: 4,686
Views: 881,273
0 Engine oil getting into primary help
Last Post: andy2175m4
Replies: 85
Views: 4,549
0 Timing question
Last Post: sungod
Replies: 18
Views: 783
0 Chevelle's Dry Clutch Worm Gear Upgrade
Last Post: Monte03
Replies: 33
Views: 7,671
More...
Members Birthdays
yeller1200, IronMick (79), painter (72), motobob883 (69), rickxx (67), MRCLEEN (49), Wetcheez (48), hello_shoes (41)
Tags
conversion, crank, gearchange, rebuild, seized

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 4 Weeks Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XLS roadster
Sportster/Buell Year: 1985
iNSaNeSHaNe has a reputation beyond reputeiNSaNeSHaNe has a reputation beyond reputeiNSaNeSHaNe has a reputation beyond reputeiNSaNeSHaNe has a reputation beyond reputeiNSaNeSHaNe has a reputation beyond reputeiNSaNeSHaNe has a reputation beyond reputeiNSaNeSHaNe has a reputation beyond reputeiNSaNeSHaNe has a reputation beyond reputeiNSaNeSHaNe has a reputation beyond reputeiNSaNeSHaNe has a reputation beyond reputeiNSaNeSHaNe has a reputation beyond repute

may need to weigh the cost of having it fixed with the cost of a new crank after looking at the rods. that forked rod is FUBAR looks to have been grinding on the inner rod VERY heavily..
From the looks of it. The wheels and the shafts are good, but the rods , bearings,and the pin will need replaced. That along with their labor to assemble and balance will cost a good bit. Many different ways to look at it.
That is why when mine blow a piston out the tail pipe I decided to stroke it.
The rods were bent, crank had to be repaired, and the jugs were scarred from the wrist pin eating it up from no piston. After figuring the cost of stock parts. I figured the cost to make it a stroker, and just went nuts from there ...

You dont just jump in the pool before testing the water..

. When told " That Won't Work "
I say " Hide And Watch. " :
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Senior Chief Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883-1200 Branch Build
Sportster/Buell Year: 2000
groovemeisterus has a brilliant futuregroovemeisterus has a brilliant futuregroovemeisterus has a brilliant futuregroovemeisterus has a brilliant futuregroovemeisterus has a brilliant futuregroovemeisterus has a brilliant futuregroovemeisterus has a brilliant futuregroovemeisterus has a brilliant futuregroovemeisterus has a brilliant futuregroovemeisterus has a brilliant futuregroovemeisterus has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNSaNeSHaNe View Post
may need to weigh the cost of having it fixed with the cost of a new crank after looking at the rods. that forked rod is FUBAR looks to have been grinding on the inner rod VERY heavily..
From the looks of it. The wheels and the shafts are good, but the rods , bearings,and the pin will need replaced. That along with their labor to assemble and balance will cost a good bit. Many different ways to look at it.
That is why when mine blow a piston out the tail pipe I decided to stroke it.
The rods were bent, crank had to be repaired, and the jugs were scarred from the wrist pin eating it up from no piston. After figuring the cost of stock parts. I figured the cost to make it a stroker, and just went nuts from there ...

You dont just jump in the pool before testing the water..

Yes will definitely be asking questions on rebuild vs new if cost is close. The best being NO vibration as much as possible with quick revs since they can lighten it, plus mass or heavier for cruising and TQ

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
883 XL Y2K - BLACK,Ported Manifold,HSR 42mm Carb,Branch #5 Ported 883 Heads,Bob Woods W8S 0.590" Cams, SE -0.050" Perfect Fit Pushrods,SE 1200 Ignition Module ,Vance & Hines Straight Shot Exhaust,07 SE Air Cleaner,SE 40,000V Red Perf Coil,883 Jugs Precision Bored for Branch 30º Domed Pistons,& One Big Smile ;o), ~83TQ, ~83HP for now.
Old 1 Week Ago

groovemeisterus has a brilliant futuregroovemeisterus has a brilliant futuregroovemeisterus has a brilliant futuregroovemeisterus has a brilliant futuregroovemeisterus has a brilliant futuregroovemeisterus has a brilliant futuregroovemeisterus has a brilliant futuregroovemeisterus has a brilliant futuregroovemeisterus has a brilliant futuregroovemeisterus has a brilliant futuregroovemeisterus has a brilliant future

Any one have input on using an 08 stator for more current to drive heated clothes ? Any fuse issues ? Or just the fuse that is used for the heated gear from battery terminals ?

Most likely would get the 08 voltage regulator also and the 34T engine sprocket and rotor assembly also. And just wire the output of the regulator to the 2000 wires.

if plugs don't match, then just splice output from 08 regulator to the current wiring of the 2000 wiring.

Heard might need a new bracket also for mounting the regulator. If so, and suggestions, or links ?

Haven't seen an 08 frame/regulator , so not sure the mounting.

Getting close to sending off my cases. Saving a lil more $ now, so hopefully cases and all will be balanced and new carrillo rods. Will also send pistons, and spiroclips so Dark Horse can get accurate weight for new rebuilt crank.

Old 1 Week Ago
XL FORUM LIFE MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1460C
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL1200R
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2006
Other Motorcycle Model: XL1200R
Other Motorcycle Year: 2004
sportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond repute

I’d definitely check into upping the capacity. Doesn’t take much to over power 22 amps. What does the ‘08 give you, 30amps?
Both my Rubbermounts run C.E 38 amp three phase, my 2000 will get upgraded soon.
I.B.A.#26543,

Dads words of wisdom:”behave and if you can’t behave don’t get caught!”

The XL Forum Sportsterpedia:
http://sportsterpedia.com/doku.php/start
Old 1 Week Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsterpaul View Post
I’d definitely check into upping the capacity. Doesn’t take much to over power 22 amps. What does the ‘08 give you, 30amps?
Both my Rubbermounts run C.E 38 amp three phase, my 2000 will get upgraded soon.
I don't know if 08 stator gives 30 Amps. Don't have a manual. But should be more than the 2000, since way more electronics on an 08.

Maybe I should go and try and find the page I looked up and found before long ago. There was an option to choose bike, and 2000 wasn't a very good option for both pants, jacket, gloves, and boot liners.

Could only choose the amount of garments system could heat.

Never made bookmark, but am now for everything this build so don't lose anything in the future.

I am going to assume since more electronics on the 08, that it is possible that it could keep up with all the heated gear.

But can't make assumptions... at least for the heated gear manufacturer at the times recomenddationss for bike year.

Old 1 Week Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XLS roadster
Sportster/Buell Year: 1985
iNSaNeSHaNe has a reputation beyond reputeiNSaNeSHaNe has a reputation beyond reputeiNSaNeSHaNe has a reputation beyond reputeiNSaNeSHaNe has a reputation beyond reputeiNSaNeSHaNe has a reputation beyond reputeiNSaNeSHaNe has a reputation beyond reputeiNSaNeSHaNe has a reputation beyond reputeiNSaNeSHaNe has a reputation beyond reputeiNSaNeSHaNe has a reputation beyond reputeiNSaNeSHaNe has a reputation beyond reputeiNSaNeSHaNe has a reputation beyond repute

The factory 2000 system only puts out 22 amp. and if I remember correctly the 07^ put out 27 amps.
You'll have to check that , but if your just looking to upgrade to a late model system to gain a few amps, you may want to just bite the bullet and go for after market.

I have put a spikes 35 amp 3 phase system on a few but its pricy. like $600
I believe that Cycle Electric also makes a 3 phase system .
Old 1 Week Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2013
shanneba has a reputation beyond reputeshanneba has a reputation beyond reputeshanneba has a reputation beyond reputeshanneba has a reputation beyond reputeshanneba has a reputation beyond reputeshanneba has a reputation beyond reputeshanneba has a reputation beyond reputeshanneba has a reputation beyond reputeshanneba has a reputation beyond reputeshanneba has a reputation beyond reputeshanneba has a reputation beyond repute

My 2013 XL1200C owner's manual shows the charging system as:

Single-phase, 30 A system
(357 W @ 13.5 V, 2000 rpm,
405 W max power @ 13.5 V)

at 2000 rpms that would be a little over 26 amps.

Find your Owner's Manual, Wiring Diagram and Parts Catalog here :

https://serviceinfo.harley-davidson....cle/lookupForm
Enter your VIN OR
Use the search - enter year and model

If something doesn't work on your Sportster look here:
SportsterPedia.com
Old 1 Week Ago
XL FORUM LIFE MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1460C
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL1200R
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2006
Other Motorcycle Model: XL1200R
Other Motorcycle Year: 2004
sportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, that 30 amp system used for the F.I. Bikes was formerly the “police charging system”, for the earlier Police Sportsters, and while 30 amp is way better than 22, going to a three phase puts you way farther ahead. For example that 22amp and 30 amp set ups won’t give you full power until right around 3,500 r.p.m.’s. My 38 amp three phase set ups give me full power around 12-1500 r.p.m. Not only that the power pulses are three per revolution as opposed to a single one, much easier on the battery.
Old 1 Week Ago

Thanks everyone for the stator amperage info

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk