The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE FORUM > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Active Threads
0 Hot Chicks on Hot Bikes
Last Post: Graywolf
Posted On: 9 Minutes Ago
Replies: 10,436
Views: 1,837,133
0 Highest mileage EVO you'd buy.
Last Post: Maxeffort
Posted On: 38 Minutes Ago
Replies: 3
Views: 30
0 Poll: Do you change tires yourself?
Last Post: Stairman
Posted On: 39 Minutes Ago
Replies: 127
Views: 31,004
0 Crusty's Travels
Last Post: SonWon
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 2,656
Views: 359,272
0 stress killer
Last Post: Nibelungen
Replies: 372
Views: 65,769
0 Transformer XR1200
Last Post: Davo_137
Replies: 175
Views: 13,854
0 Official XL Forum Random Image Thread (NO NUDITY!)
Last Post: Davo_137
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 45,694
Views: 7,221,466
0 Hottie of the day, no nudity.
Last Post: Stairman
Replies: 15,357
Views: 1,474,461
0 hi all
Last Post: Ireeman
Replies: 12
Views: 279
0 So, anyone wanna talk flat track???
Replies: 104
Views: 12,290
0 My take on the world ~ Photo by Trace
Replies: 964
Views: 126,306
0 Sportster weak lifter - what does it sound like?
Last Post: ironmanx
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 0
Views: 29
0 Keep & Kill
Last Post: Crusty
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 14,611
Views: 816,551
0 Sportster Crankcase Pressure / Engine Breathing / Wetsumping and Mods
Last Post: Hippysmack
Posted On: 7 Hours Ago
Replies: 898
Views: 40,577
0 XL IR EFI to those that asked
Last Post: Iron Mike
Replies: 42
Views: 2,846
0 supply oil line seeping
Last Post: hammer6315
Replies: 7
Views: 301
0 1982 XLH 1000 With 23 Original Miles
Last Post: Iron Mike
Posted On: 9 Hours Ago
Replies: 13
Views: 737
0 Hybrid ceramic wheel bearings
Last Post: NGOT8R
Posted On: 11 Hours Ago
Views: 46
0 What did you do for your sporty Today?
Replies: 6,511
Views: 861,053
0 Wanna build a cheap big bore stroker ?
Last Post: Ferrous Head
Replies: 37
Views: 1,400
0 Repairing Cylinder Studs/Cases
Replies: 1
Views: 116
0 Vance & Hines VO2 Naked Intake installed
Last Post: Folkie
Replies: 2
Views: 2,310
0 2005 xl883 to Hammer Perf. 1275 timing questions
Last Post: hexnut
Replies: 35
Views: 684
0 New Member and a question
Posted On: 12 Hours Ago
Replies: 7
Views: 381
0 3.5" straight riser
Last Post: sportsterpaul
Replies: 1
Views: 65
0 Speedometer Interchangeability Between Different Generations.
Last Post: denguy
Replies: 4
Views: 165
0 77 XLH Starting issues no needle bearing in primary?
Last Post: MadMike_1126
Views: 48
0 Starter bushing/bearing install in primary cover
Last Post: MadMike_1126
Posted On: 13 Hours Ago
Replies: 19
Views: 5,680
0 Keep the V&H head pipes or go stock?
Last Post: 84cj
Posted On: 14 Hours Ago
Views: 40
0 question for our machinists
Posted On: 14 Hours Ago
Replies: 14
Views: 699
More...
Members Birthdays
Mr. Lynn (73), dentat2 (49), OWNED13 (46), knolan.smith (41), Malicious44 (34)
Sponsored Links

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 1 Week Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster
Sportster/Buell Year: 1977
Roane is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Rewire with Thunderheat. Getting horn, back brake and back light, nothing else

Guys,

I've reached out to Thunderheat but wanted to see what forum thoughts might be on this. I'll start by apologizing for the many questions. I had smaller issues going on a different thread but now they seem more global so wanted to make a new thread. While I'm likely over my head here, I don't want to give up so seeking the forum's learned guidance again so i could possibly get my old bike running before Thanksgiving.

Question 1: When I turn the key, I get the rear light on, the rear brake light works and the horn does beep. But I cannot start the bike (no power at all) and no other lights work. Any thoughts?

I followed directions and I have the positive terminal of the battery attached to the Thunderheat switching station brain at the 13 pin black line (battery +). Also connected directly to the battery is the CycleElectric voltage regulator/generator -- through a 20 amp circuit breaker (input (copper post) of the breaker and output (silver post) to voltage regulator. And I have a black battery cable running from what I think is the correct stud of the solenoid going straight to the + battery terminal and the green wire going from the Thunderhead brain to the other large solenoid terminal. (When I touch with a voltmeter I get the same reading on the terminal green wire is attached to as I get when checking voltage at the battery. I also get the same voltage when I touch the voltage regulator.) I've also attached the number 13 pin black cable (battery +) directly to the battery as outlined in their wiring diagram, not to the ignition switch.

Then I have the number 14 and number 15 pin wires (ignition switch) one red and one red with black stripes going from the Thunderheat box to the ignition (which I thought should complete the circuit). No other wires are attached to the ignition.

I also have the 6 pin wire (white with black stripe) from the Thunderheat box attached directly to the coil as directed, instead of coil to ignition switch (I'm assuming I have it on the correct side of the coil but there are no markings).

In the rear harness controller, I was uncertain of what to do with the neutral switch (yellow) so have not attached it to anything.

Question 2: My Right Side handlebar control has two wires coming off for the start button (yellow and brown) but I've only got one wire coming from the Thunderheat right side handlebar control (black start relay switch to pin 5). I'm not sure which wire from the handlebar control to attach (or both of them) and if the other needs to be a ground. The handlebar assembly I'm using says the yellow wire should connect to a white or black stripe harness wire and the brown should connect to a black or red stripe harness wire.

Question 3: I'm attaching a pathfinder LED light that has three lines coming out of it. When looking at the pins from the socket side, there is a red line on the right, a blue line on the top and a black line on the left. There is also a white and yellow lines connected by what looks to be a fuse. Any idea how that connects to the front harness connector (yellow low beam, white high beam, and what is the third wire I need for the socket (red auxiliary power or this is a ground)? I'm assuming all the arrows going down mean I need s ground for the headlight and all the other lights and horn. If I've only got three lines coming out of the headlamp and one is connected to axillary power, I'm not sure how to ground the light.
Old 1 Week Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

I'll include some images here, in case it helps.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PM-3-botton-switch.pdf 2019-11-25 11-52-47.jpg (117.0 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg EI4250.pdf 2019-11-25 11-35-19.jpg (108.6 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg EI4250.pdf 2019-11-25 11-34-29.jpg (838.5 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg EI4250.pdf 2019-11-25 11-33-20.jpg (833.8 KB, 20 views)

Last edited by Roane; 1 Week Ago at 23:59..
Old 1 Week Ago
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200S
Sportster/Buell Year: 2002
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLH883
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2003
sportsterdoc has a reputation beyond reputesportsterdoc has a reputation beyond reputesportsterdoc has a reputation beyond reputesportsterdoc has a reputation beyond reputesportsterdoc has a reputation beyond reputesportsterdoc has a reputation beyond reputesportsterdoc has a reputation beyond reputesportsterdoc has a reputation beyond reputesportsterdoc has a reputation beyond reputesportsterdoc has a reputation beyond reputesportsterdoc has a reputation beyond repute

A schematic of what has been done may be helpful to solve this without seeing it in person.
Meanwhile, what powers the ignition switch?
Normal is direct from battery through master fuse or circuit breaker.
Old 1 Week Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

I was assuming it was running power through the Thunderheart box. This is the major wiring.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
Old 1 Week Ago
Land Speed Record

Sportster/Buell Model: xlch
Sportster/Buell Year: 1971
Sportster/Buell Model #2: xlh
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1974
Other Motorcycle Model: xl1200cp
Other Motorcycle Year: 2011
The Doctor71 has disabled reputation

First off, let me say I am not familiar with this Thunder-Heart box at all.... so take anything I type with a grain of salt.

After reviewing the wiring diagram & with all the problems you've listed..... I'd start my basic troubleshooting 101 with....
  • pin 13, 14, 15 - rear harness connector...... are they hooked up as per Thunder-Heart specs ?
    • pin 13, directly from battery +ve
    • pin 14, to ignition switch
    • pin 15, from ignition switch
  • pin 4 - Right Handlebar Connector. Is it properly grounded ? Are you sure ?
  • pin 3 - Right Handlebar Connector. With ignition key on, is pin 3 hot (aka 12v present ?)
    • I'd suggest conducting this test with the negative lead (on your multimeter) on pin 4 & the positive lead (on your multimeter) on pin 3.
  • pin 3 - Right Handlebar Connector. With ignition key off, is pin 3 dead (aka 0.0v present ?)
Get these circuits working correctly up front & I imagine the remaining circuits will be a piece of cake to sort out.

If not, then you're beyond my pay grade...... and I can only suggest Thunder-Heart would be your next stop.

Last edited by The Doctor71; 1 Week Ago at 04:04.. Reason: added clarification on testing pins 3 & 4
Old 1 Week Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster 883►1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 1994
IXL2Relax has disabled reputation

Like the later HD Body Control Module (BCM) the Thunderheart is intended to handle all the power output... The inputs are simple (like with the BCM) wire connections to ground (in most cases) or handle the incoming (minimal current) signals...

Based on the images provided, the handlebar Start Switch & the Kill Switch share a ground connecton on the TH and each have one input line to connect the other sides of each of those switches...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roane View Post
I have a black battery cable running from what I think is the correct stud of the solenoid going straight to the + battery terminal and the green wire going from the Thunderhead brain to the other large solenoid terminal.
The GREEN wire from the TH should be the activating wire for the Solenoid (which is a relay) - Be sure you have it connected to the PRIMARY SIDE of the solenoid and not connected to the SECONDARY (HIGH POWER) SIDE of the solenoid.

Since the solenoid is a RELAY, it has a Primary Coil connected to ground all the time and the control is the GREEN wire which provides power to activate the Solenoid when you start the bike. It also has a Secondary set of contacts (like a relay) which will close connection when the Primary Coil is activated. These Secondary Contacts should be fed directly from the Battery and the other side go directly to the Starter Motor...

IXL _______ >>>> My Motorcycle Chronicles Are Here <<<<
For FREE Sportster Tech Info from the XLForum:
Explore The Sportsterpedia - The Best Kept Secret on the XLForum!
Old 1 Week Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Thanks guys,
I'm going to tackle this tomorrow I hope but I think my confusion over whether to share the white common wire between the starter and kill buttons may be the main culprit and I found a wire reversal on my left handlebar that may have interrupted the turn signals.

Couple of followups questions if you have time.

On my headlamp, I've got a white, a blue and a black wire coming out. Any idea if the black is the ground? No directions came with it?

And should I install a separate cube relay in this setup (Thunderheat doesn't believe so but I've been told to maybe do so as a matter of course because it would be more robust. I don't know if that would create an additional issue however.

I'm including a picture of the solenoid wiring. Green wire is going to the Thunderheart. I need to go back and check but I believe I attached the top post to my battery and the bottom wire goes to starter. If so, this sound correct?

And happy Thanksgiving to you all.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 77SportsterSolenoid.jpg (111.0 KB, 12 views)
Old 1 Week Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

So, I got all lights on and working and starter clicks but won't start. Thank you guys for helping me get this far. The battery I'm using isn't the best but it does this even when I've let it sit on a tender a bit and the tender is still connected.

I'm wondering if I have a short somewhere (maybe horn?) Though because when I last tried to start it, the key got too hot to touch and the bike lights shut down. Assuming the breaker flipped. Any thoughts?

Also, do I need a cube relay on this if it's all running through the Thunderheat box with a breaker there? And should I add a second fuse between the red ignition wire and the Thunderheat box just for safety?

Old 1 Week Ago
Rider Of The Iron Steed

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1978
IronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roane View Post
... it does this even when I've let it sit on a tender a bit and the tender is still connected...
Having the battery tender connected does almost nothing. It is putting out only about 1.5 amps [depending on the model], enough to slowly charge the battery over a period of hours, but not enough to assist in starting the engine

When doing this kind of electrical problem solving it is important to have a voltmeter, or a multimeter with a volts setting...
  • You can simply test the voltage between the two battery terminals and know if you have enough [12 to 14 volts].
  • You can also do a serious battery test by watching the connected voltmeter while cranking the engine - if it goes below 10 or 11 volts while cranking then the battery needs to be either fully charged, or replaced.

Visit Mick's WebSite
[And Check Out My Autobiog]
Sponsored Links
Old 1 Week Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Thank you. I have a new battery but was frankly using this one just to test the lights and see if I had the power going in the right direction. I'm concerned with the key getting hot. Does this sound like a short? Also wondering if I should add more fuses ...