The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE FORUM > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Active Threads
0 Crusty's Travels
Last Post: SonWon
Posted On: 30 Minutes Ago
Replies: 2,660
Views: 360,456
0 Transformer XR1200
Last Post: Davo_137
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 177
Views: 14,270
0 Getting Hammered
Last Post: rocketmangb
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 17
Views: 306
0 No power, battery is good, fuses are fine, whats wrong?
Last Post: kltrkmpf
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 0
Views: 26
0 Official XL Forum Random Image Thread (NO NUDITY!)
Last Post: Crusty
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 45,711
Views: 7,224,056
0 Keep & Kill
Last Post: Graywolf
Replies: 14,641
Views: 818,470
0 Repairing Cylinder Studs/Cases
Last Post: Hippysmack
Replies: 42
Views: 791
0 Leineweber camshaft
Last Post: chevelle
Posted On: 6 Hours Ago
Replies: 4
Views: 142
0 question for our machinists
Last Post: JonesL
Posted On: 6 Hours Ago
Replies: 21
Views: 978
0 More oil return questions
Last Post: Scott
Posted On: 7 Hours Ago
Replies: 1
Views: 69
0 WTB: Sportster Shift Lever
Last Post: ferretface
Replies: 0
Views: 36
0 Sportster weak lifter - what does it sound like?
Last Post: tussuck
Replies: 8
Views: 260
0 Mid or forward controls.
Last Post: Tomcatt
Posted On: 9 Hours Ago
Replies: 162
Views: 42,897
0 2015 sportster charging
Last Post: sportsterpaul
Replies: 8
Views: 306
0 XL IR EFI to those that asked
Last Post: Scott
Replies: 48
Views: 3,731
0 Cheap 7200B bearing = NO!
Last Post: Tomcatt
Replies: 33
Views: 2,325
0 Rewire with Thunderheat. Getting horn, back brake and back light, nothing else
Last Post: Roane
Posted On: 10 Hours Ago
Replies: 35
Views: 1,971
0 Sportster Crankcase Pressure / Engine Breathing / Wetsumping and Mods
Last Post: Hippysmack
Replies: 903
Views: 41,853
7 Ironhead yes or no
Last Post: jkinkade
Replies: 31
Views: 1,278
0 New Member and a question
Last Post: Iron Mike
Posted On: 11 Hours Ago
Replies: 19
Views: 699
0 Roads I'd like to ride.
Last Post: Graywolf
Posted On: 11 Hours Ago
Replies: 2,626
Views: 226,290
0 piston rings
Last Post: Sprtstr1200s
Posted On: 12 Hours Ago
Replies: 2
Views: 88
0 Hybrid ceramic wheel bearings
Last Post: NGOT8R
Posted On: 13 Hours Ago
Views: 263
0 Highest mileage EVO you'd buy.
Last Post: 60Gunner
Posted On: 13 Hours Ago
Replies: 9
Views: 383
0 Hottie of the day, no nudity.
Last Post: Stairman
Posted On: 15 Hours Ago
Replies: 15,381
Views: 1,477,812
0 New member softail rim laced to sportster hub
Last Post: Folkie
Replies: 6
Views: 112
0 Cold weather pants:
Last Post: RDHenley
Replies: 10
Views: 357
0 Electrical question
Last Post: RDHenley
Posted On: 16 Hours Ago
Views: 243
2 Humble pie
Last Post: Sprtstr1200s
Posted On: 16 Hours Ago
Replies: 60
Views: 4,791
More...
Members Birthdays
Sponsored Links

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 1 Week Ago
XL FORUM LIFE MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: xlh
Sportster/Buell Year: 1974
needspeed has a reputation beyond reputeneedspeed has a reputation beyond reputeneedspeed has a reputation beyond reputeneedspeed has a reputation beyond reputeneedspeed has a reputation beyond reputeneedspeed has a reputation beyond reputeneedspeed has a reputation beyond reputeneedspeed has a reputation beyond reputeneedspeed has a reputation beyond reputeneedspeed has a reputation beyond reputeneedspeed has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitabel View Post
S&S breather instructions for IH stroker:
1. use 1972-76 rotor
2. only port pump tower to .419" wide
3. duration 227° total
Just to avoid confusion: When opening the tower slot it should only be done on the closing side.
Old 1 Week Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XLB, XLCH, Sporton
Sportster/Buell Year: 1962
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1966
Other Motorcycle Model: XLCH (Another one)
Other Motorcycle Year: 1966
Ferrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond repute

I always use the -72 oil pump simply because it has the largest scavenge gears.

I don't go to any great lengths to alter the breather timing.

I know Obrien spent a lot of time with this. I think he worked out having the opening point at 27 Degrees ATDC was the optimal point and advocated shimming or grinding of the gear to get it spot on.

The problem stems from having oil in the crankcase being dragged around by the flywheels. And we know this can be a problem in some engines.

Later on the mini sump obviated the need for this.

They also ran 1/4 speed oil pumps to reduce the flow rate.

Stock Sportster engines feed oil through the end of the crank. And that works well.
In fact, a bit too well.

S&S cranks come with a screw in restrictor so you can reduce the oil fow to the big end if you want to. I use them.

And OB was doing this on much higher revving 750's that were running at Daytona.

How many of us hold the throttle wide open for that amount of time ?

When the revs drop off the system will catch up with any excess oil down there.

Now I could always be wrong about this. But I have never noticed a power loss at the end of any straights I have encountered. Caveat here as I haven't been able to run at Phillip Island. (They don't run Historic sidecars there any more)

If it was a concern I would also run external top end oil lines and feed directly into the gear cover.

I DO run a PCV valve on my breather. I wondered when I first did it if it might effect the normal oil return system which relies on the pumping pressures inside the cases.
But they run them on the XLCR's and that was good enough for me.

But of course, I could always be wrong.
Old 1 Week Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Ferrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond repute

Oh. Nearly forgot.

Cylinder lengths. I missed the bit about their height.

But normally when you build an engine like this you skim the cylinders anyway. This height is part of how you set your effective compression ratio. Depending on factors like the piston you choose, cams etc this needs to be "juggled".

When you get really serious you do away with the base and head gaskets as well.

Using stock length cylinders and the 3.00 JE pistons for strokers if you "clean up" the gasket surfaces and run gaskets and run a 4 - 5/8 stroke you will most likely end up with a compression ratio that's a bit high for use on the street.

The minus minus cams will help you start it but it's going to rattle.

Won't have EFI and an engine management system on this engine which was designed back when 100 proof gas was everywhere.

Maybe at 10,000 feet on a chilly winters day it's ok.

At sea level on a hot day .... not so much.
Old 1 Week Ago
XL FORUM LIFE MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: xlh
Sportster/Buell Year: 1974
needspeed has a reputation beyond reputeneedspeed has a reputation beyond reputeneedspeed has a reputation beyond reputeneedspeed has a reputation beyond reputeneedspeed has a reputation beyond reputeneedspeed has a reputation beyond reputeneedspeed has a reputation beyond reputeneedspeed has a reputation beyond reputeneedspeed has a reputation beyond reputeneedspeed has a reputation beyond reputeneedspeed has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferrous Head View Post
I DO run a PCV valve on my breather. I wondered when I first did it if it might effect the normal oil return system which relies on the pumping pressures inside the cases.
But they run them on the XLCR's and that was good enough for me.
The one way breather valve (foo-foo) is part of the stock system on the mini sump - non breather valve XLCR. So just because a PVC works on the XLCR it doesn't necessarily mean it will work on your engine with the timed breather.

It might help or it might not or it might not make any difference. Do you notice any difference with it or without it?
Old 1 Week Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

The only way I think I could really measure any changes would be to do back to back dyno runs.
But I have always run PCV valves on my race bikes.
It helps to reduce crancase pressure which I believe is a good thing.

But it also helps with oil leak prone engines. Helps keep the oil in. I think.

This is probably another one of those "I can get 1/4 hp more by polishing the inside of the cases or 1/4 hp more by lapping in the geaarbox.

Guys like OB went the last few yards because they had to compete with other racers who had basically the same engines. So he spent countless hour hand crafting every part and chasing down that last 1 hp. Diference between a stock as delivered KR and one of his engines was probably 4 hp. Not much, but enough in a race.
Unless of course your opposition has Cal Rayborn riding for them.

There was a legendary Norton tuner by the name of Francis Beart.

He installed new wheel bearings in his wheels. Then set them up with an electric motor and a belt to run the wheels for 24 hours.
That basically lapped in the wheel bearings.
Added to all the other tiny improvements he made his bikes won at the Isle Of Mann on a very regular basis.

I believe it was Giulio Carcano who in the 1950's instructed his team to pull their race bike apart and study every single part. His instructions were to make it lighter.
They did. Even reducing the size of the spoke nipples.

Despite not improving the (rather old) engine design Moto Guzi dominated the middle weight classes in Europe for years afterwards.

Little things do add up but none of that matters when I'm running an engine that starts out 200 cc's bigger than theirs and can be built into a 1365 cc behemoth. There is just no way their poor little 650's can be stretched to that size. I'm not cheating I just read the rule book and acted accordingly.
Old 1 Week Ago
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: xlch
Sportster/Buell Year: 1960
brucstoudt has a reputation beyond reputebrucstoudt has a reputation beyond reputebrucstoudt has a reputation beyond reputebrucstoudt has a reputation beyond reputebrucstoudt has a reputation beyond reputebrucstoudt has a reputation beyond reputebrucstoudt has a reputation beyond reputebrucstoudt has a reputation beyond reputebrucstoudt has a reputation beyond reputebrucstoudt has a reputation beyond reputebrucstoudt has a reputation beyond repute

the XR-750 uses a one way breather valve in addition to the timed breather.there is a hole tapped into the case behind the rear cylinder. Gene did you see the -54R KR/XLR connecting rods listed by another seller? here's a link https://www.ebay.com/itm/Harley-Davi....c100667.m2042 they're for a ball bearing motor but you don't see them often.kind of rare.
72 1000cc barrels and heads, s&s 41/2'' flywheels, sifton cams, s&s super B w/ zippers thunderjet w/yost powertube, andrews gears,and shafts, competition engineering kevlar wet or dry clutch, 72 oil pump, morris magneto w/auto advance and single fire module, cycle electric generator w/electronic regulator,73 cu.in.
Old 1 Week Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Not KR or XLR parts. They are rare and expensive things to really go racing with.
And normally they are not available as NOS.

S&S just make it too easy and cheap to build a stroker engine. When you can buy a complete rotating assembly with shafts that is balanced to whatever you want before you receive it why would you do it yourself ?

Stronger rods aren't really necessary. You can quite happily use the stock Sportster rods. In fact the S&S rods are a little heavy. If your using them and going to balance the wheels I would suggest taking some metal off the little end area.

I don't like using stock wheels in a racing application. They are cast iron and have been known to break under race conditions. But the rods are fine.

But when you look at the cost of putting a set of wheels together and paying for the balancing it's hard to save a great deal of money. Especially if you pay someone else to assemble and true which most of us do. Add in S&S shafts (some of the wheels have a different taper) and big end parts and it quickly gets close to just buying a new assembly. Also consider the unknown quality if the tapers inside used wheels and I just don't bother anymore.

If your seriously tryng to build a race style engine you aren't constrained the way Harley was with their KR's and XLR's.

And I build to my class rules. If it allowed superchargers it would be on there.

And when I say this is cheap it is compared to trying to start with what my competitors mostly use. triumphs, Nortons and BSA's. A race crank for them starts at 3 grand and that's if you can find one. For all out racing they need billet cranks. That's before they buy rods and have it balanced.

Biggest parallel twin engines I'm aware of in my class is a Maney Norton at 1105cc. Those engines will set you back over $25,000. No one here races them.
And why would you when you can build a Sportster engine that will blow it into the weeds for leas than a third of that.

Smokey Yunick.
Old 1 Week Ago
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1969
Other Motorcycle Model: 04 Ironhorse Outlaw
Other Motorcycle Year: 2004
RicThompson is on a distinguished roadRicThompson is on a distinguished road

Well that auction was fun. Everything appears to have sold. I guess my 69's going to grow a couple inches. How many I'm not exactly sure. What does 4 and 5/8 stroke make a 900?

Last edited by RicThompson; 1 Week Ago at 01:37.. Reason: add question
Sponsored Links
Old 1 Week Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

A little over 65 cubic inches (65.38 I think).

Congrats on the win. The benefits from the increase in size are a bit more than you might imagine.

The ports on the 900 engines were a little big to start with. Boosting the engine size in this way affects the port velocity and makes them work "better".

It's a shame you didn't manage to grab the cams as they make life a lot easier with a stroker that you run on the street.

But once you have the whole thing together and going it will be like the first time you ever rode an Ironhead in your life. Big grin.
Old 1 Week Ago
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1969
Other Motorcycle Model: 04 Ironhorse Outlaw
Other Motorcycle Year: 2004
RicThompson is on a distinguished roadRicThompson is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferrous Head View Post
A little over 65 cubic inches (65.38 I think).

Congrats on the win. The benefits from the increase in size are a bit more than you might imagine.

The ports on the 900 engines were a little big to start with. Boosting the engine size in this way affects the port velocity and makes them work "better".

It's a shame you didn't manage to grab the cams as they make life a lot easier with a stroker that you run on the street.

But once you have the whole thing together and going it will be like the first time you ever rode an Ironhead in your life. Big grin.
Thanks. I was guessing about 10 inches 4 and 5/8 adds about an inch of arm. The 1969 I'm working with has PB cams in it and Jerry Branch heads. I've added a refurbed mag, an S&S Super B with Yost Power Tube and 1 inch manifold spacer.