The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE FORUM > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Active Threads
0 Hot Chicks on Hot Bikes
Last Post: Graywolf
Posted On: 13 Minutes Ago
Replies: 10,436
Views: 1,837,382
0 Highest mileage EVO you'd buy.
Last Post: Maxeffort
Posted On: 42 Minutes Ago
Replies: 3
Views: 46
0 Poll: Do you change tires yourself?
Last Post: Stairman
Posted On: 43 Minutes Ago
Replies: 127
Views: 31,015
0 Crusty's Travels
Last Post: SonWon
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 2,656
Views: 359,281
0 stress killer
Last Post: Nibelungen
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 372
Views: 65,783
0 Transformer XR1200
Last Post: Davo_137
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 175
Views: 13,856
0 Official XL Forum Random Image Thread (NO NUDITY!)
Last Post: Davo_137
Replies: 45,694
Views: 7,221,543
0 Hottie of the day, no nudity.
Last Post: Stairman
Replies: 15,357
Views: 1,474,752
0 hi all
Last Post: Ireeman
Replies: 12
Views: 287
0 So, anyone wanna talk flat track???
Replies: 104
Views: 12,353
0 My take on the world ~ Photo by Trace
Replies: 964
Views: 126,438
0 Sportster weak lifter - what does it sound like?
Last Post: ironmanx
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 0
Views: 37
0 Keep & Kill
Last Post: Crusty
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 14,611
Views: 816,554
0 Sportster Crankcase Pressure / Engine Breathing / Wetsumping and Mods
Last Post: Hippysmack
Posted On: 7 Hours Ago
Replies: 898
Views: 40,585
0 XL IR EFI to those that asked
Last Post: Iron Mike
Replies: 42
Views: 2,846
0 supply oil line seeping
Last Post: hammer6315
Replies: 7
Views: 302
0 1982 XLH 1000 With 23 Original Miles
Last Post: Iron Mike
Posted On: 9 Hours Ago
Replies: 13
Views: 762
0 Hybrid ceramic wheel bearings
Last Post: NGOT8R
Posted On: 11 Hours Ago
Views: 48
0 What did you do for your sporty Today?
Replies: 6,511
Views: 861,176
0 Wanna build a cheap big bore stroker ?
Last Post: Ferrous Head
Replies: 37
Views: 1,401
0 Repairing Cylinder Studs/Cases
Replies: 1
Views: 126
0 Vance & Hines VO2 Naked Intake installed
Last Post: Folkie
Replies: 2
Views: 2,311
0 2005 xl883 to Hammer Perf. 1275 timing questions
Last Post: hexnut
Replies: 35
Views: 684
0 New Member and a question
Posted On: 12 Hours Ago
Replies: 7
Views: 391
0 3.5" straight riser
Last Post: sportsterpaul
Replies: 1
Views: 65
0 Speedometer Interchangeability Between Different Generations.
Last Post: denguy
Replies: 4
Views: 168
0 77 XLH Starting issues no needle bearing in primary?
Last Post: MadMike_1126
Posted On: 13 Hours Ago
Views: 48
0 Starter bushing/bearing install in primary cover
Last Post: MadMike_1126
Posted On: 13 Hours Ago
Replies: 19
Views: 5,699
0 Keep the V&H head pipes or go stock?
Last Post: 84cj
Posted On: 14 Hours Ago
Views: 40
0 question for our machinists
Posted On: 14 Hours Ago
Replies: 14
Views: 724
More...
Members Birthdays
Mr. Lynn (73), dentat2 (49), OWNED13 (46), knolan.smith (41), Malicious44 (34)
View Poll Results: Cylinder Head Temp, What is too hot
350 deg F 24 32.88%
400 deg F 19 26.03%
450 deg F 19 26.03%
somewhere over 500 deg F 11 15.07%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Sponsored Links

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29th August 2008
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: shovester project
Sportster/Buell Year: 80s
Other Motorcycle Model: Kawasaki kz440
Other Motorcycle Year: 1983
billeuze is a name known to allbilleuze is a name known to allbilleuze is a name known to allbilleuze is a name known to allbilleuze is a name known to allbilleuze is a name known to allbilleuze is a name known to allbilleuze is a name known to allbilleuze is a name known to allbilleuze is a name known to allbilleuze is a name known to all
Default Cylinder Head Temp. How hot is too hot?

Whats the max safe Cylinder head temp? I overheated once last summer, don't know how hot but blew the rear rocker cover gasket and then with the heads out found I needed all new valve guides too.

So this year I installed a Cylinder Heat Temperature Gauge so I could observe temps. Then went on a road trip. I was quite surprised at the temps much hotter than I expected. I was only monitoring the rear cylinder. What i found was:
@60mph: 400-450 deg F
@65-70mph: 425-475 deg F (with short bursts up to 500 deg)
Going up long steep climbs increases CHT by 20-30 deg.
Down hills decrease CHT by 20-30 deg.

Ambient air temp made practically no difference. on the first day out air temp was 97 deg F. My 3rd day on the way home was soooo cooold there was actually snow on the the road (and cars in the ditch) on the highest mountain pass. But my CHT readings were practically the same as the hot day.

One myth that I disproved (with my bike anyway) is what I hear often that being stopped at idle is the worst for raising CHT especially when just coming into town from freeway speeds. Not so. I could be buzzing along at a steady 70mph 450 deg F and come to a standstill bumper to bumper 1 mph traffic jam and my CHT almost instantly goes down to 400 and stays there.

I know that iron doesn't dissipate heat as well as aluminum but I didn't know ironheads get that hot. Now that I know I am switching to redline oil (the only one stable to over 500 deg F, made from poly ester base) and I'll install an oil cooler too. Any recommendations on a good oil cooler?

If anyone's looking for a CHT gauge, they are cheaper from the airplane suppliers than from motorcycle suppliers. I used http://www.aircraftspruce.com/menus/in/chtgauges.html (Canadians, just change the .com to .ca for Canadian pricing). The micro-1000 is the only one in the cheap the lines that uses the "E" type thermocoupler - more accurate than common "J" type and is not affected by changes in ambient air temp. Note that for this model you have to buy a 7' long cable and find someplace to hide it on your bike -the guage is calibrated for 7 feet of cable length resistance, don't cut it short. Probes for these gauges at http://www.aircraftspruce.com/menus/...nders_cht.html
Old 29th August 2008
Rider Of The Iron Steed

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1978
IronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond repute

Last year I purchased on eBay an NOS OEM Harley Davidson Cyl Hd Temp gauge part number 75000-69A. Hottest i have seen it is just over 350`. Most of the time on the hiway it is reading quite low, about 250`. The hotter temps are in city riding. Hottest reading was when my electronic ignition was failing.

Visit Mick's WebSite
[And Check Out My Autobiog]
Old 29th August 2008
Senior Master Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 93 Cubic Inch XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1975
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1968
Other Motorcycle Model: Ultra Limited
Other Motorcycle Year: 2014
fdny37 is a glorious beacon of lightfdny37 is a glorious beacon of lightfdny37 is a glorious beacon of lightfdny37 is a glorious beacon of lightfdny37 is a glorious beacon of lightfdny37 is a glorious beacon of lightfdny37 is a glorious beacon of lightfdny37 is a glorious beacon of lightfdny37 is a glorious beacon of lightfdny37 is a glorious beacon of lightfdny37 is a glorious beacon of light

I'm not saying that your gauge is wrong but that seems kind of hot. Have you tried checking the temp with an inferred thermometer gun against your gauge to see if there is a difference in temp readings? I have never had readings anywhere near that hot on the cylinder heads of my engine. I would double check with the inferred just to be sure.
93 Cubic Inches..3.635 Bore x 4.50 Stroke...Baisley Roller Rockers...Dual Plug Heads Ported With XLR Valves...Chrome Moly Pushrods...Andrews AX Grind Cams .550 Lift...Venolia Pistons...Total Seal Gapless Rings...Balanced S&S Rods & Flywheels...Blitz Steel Barrels...Billet Oil Pump...K&N O2 Sensors...S&S Super E Carb...Crane Fireball Multi Spark Ignition...All Andrews Trans Gears & Shafts...Strociek Billet Trap Door...Barnett Kevlar Wet/Dry Clutch...Motorsport Rear Motor Mount...High Torque Starter...100 Plus HP
Old 29th August 2008
Rider Of The Iron Steed

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1978
IronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMick View Post
Last year I purchased on eBay an NOS OEM Harley Davidson Cyl Hd Temp gauge part number 75000-69A. Hottest i have seen it is just over 350`. Most of the time on the hiway it is reading quite low, about 250`. The hotter temps are in city riding. Hottest reading was when my electronic ignition was failing.
I should add in here that mine is connected to the front cyl not the rear so perhaps it would read cooler? The sensor goes into the fins right next to and in front of the spark plug.
Old 29th August 2008
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

billeuze is a name known to allbilleuze is a name known to allbilleuze is a name known to allbilleuze is a name known to allbilleuze is a name known to allbilleuze is a name known to allbilleuze is a name known to allbilleuze is a name known to allbilleuze is a name known to allbilleuze is a name known to allbilleuze is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdny37 View Post
I'm not saying that your gauge is wrong but that seems kind of hot. Have you tried checking the temp with an inferred thermometer gun against your gauge to see if there is a difference in temp readings? I have never had readings anywhere near that hot on the cylinder heads of my engine. I would double check with the inferred just to be sure.
No I haven't tried but that is something I want to do. Does anyone have an infrared gun they could send me? i'd only have to use it once to get a reference reading, then I'd send it right back.

I thought too my gauge readings were too high. at least I know it is working though(going up and down with tempeerature) All I need is an independent reference reading to calibrate.
Old 29th August 2008
Senior Chief Master Mechanic 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH-1000
Sportster/Buell Year: 1975
Other Motorcycle Model: Honda Spree
Other Motorcycle Year: 1987
Shadowdog500 has a spectacular aura aboutShadowdog500 has a spectacular aura aboutShadowdog500 has a spectacular aura aboutShadowdog500 has a spectacular aura aboutShadowdog500 has a spectacular aura aboutShadowdog500 has a spectacular aura aboutShadowdog500 has a spectacular aura aboutShadowdog500 has a spectacular aura aboutShadowdog500 has a spectacular aura about

They are only $39.00 at HF. Ive been using mine for several years, works great.

Chris
Old 29th August 2008
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowdog500 View Post
They are only $39.00 at HF. Ive been using mine for several years, works great.

Chris
Wow. what they can make for cheap in China is amazing. I haven't seen any sub $1,000 sportster clones yet but look out, they may be on the way.
Old 30th August 2008
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

OK, I went over to town today. Found an infrared temp gun for $70. bought it, used it, returned it. Anyway according to that gun my CHT gauge is reading correctly in the 325 - 375 deg F range. I would expect then that it is also reading correctly in the over 400 deg range (but I'm not going to hang over the side of my bike aiming the gun at the head going 70 mph to confirm).

I also went up the highway a ways while I was over there. same temperature readings as before - high (well a little lower than on my road trip but that may be because I didn't go over any mountains today). I did though do a stretch at 80mph - the temp of the rear head was between 475 and 500 deg F the whole time. So I'll still be looking for an oil cooler.

By the way, while I had the gun "on loan" I found that there was about a 30 deg difference between front head and rear head temp.

I'm wondering now about making some kind of wind deflector to direct air over the rear cylinder. Anyone ever done that?
Old 30th August 2008
Senior Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year: 61
Other Motorcycle Model: Superglide
Other Motorcycle Year: 74
MDT has a reputation beyond reputeMDT has a reputation beyond reputeMDT has a reputation beyond reputeMDT has a reputation beyond reputeMDT has a reputation beyond reputeMDT has a reputation beyond reputeMDT has a reputation beyond reputeMDT has a reputation beyond reputeMDT has a reputation beyond reputeMDT has a reputation beyond reputeMDT has a reputation beyond repute

IR readings can be tricky. Also trying to find 2 IR guns that read the same temp on the same surface at the same time can be even more tricky.
But that being said, my 61XLCH, my 74 Shovel, and my buddy's 63 Panhead all read 375 and pretty much stay there. If I point that sucker at my flat black pipes, I get temps around 675.
Sponsored Links
Old 30th August 2008
Greasemonkey

Sportster/Buell Model: xlch
Sportster/Buell Year: 1968
Other Motorcycle Model: Moto Morini 3 1/2
Other Motorcycle Year: 1982
marioserafica is a name known to allmarioserafica is a name known to allmarioserafica is a name known to allmarioserafica is a name known to allmarioserafica is a name known to allmarioserafica is a name known to allmarioserafica is a name known to allmarioserafica is a name known to allmarioserafica is a name known to allmarioserafica is a name known to allmarioserafica is a name known to all

Many years ago I asked to HD Co about head temperature and they underlined that usually front cylinder runs hotter than rear, because front fender and wheel inder air flow to it. Ciao Mario
68xlch