The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE FORUM > Sportster Motorcycle Styles > Sport-Glide / Sportster Motorcycle Touring
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sport-Glide / Sportster Motorcycle Touring This section is for the discussion of setting up you Sportster motorcycle touring and long distance riding.

Active Threads
0 Been Sitting For 5-10 years; Starts, But Dies
Last Post: Feskerlars
Posted On: 4 Minutes Ago
Replies: 22
Views: 758
0 Hello from B.C. Canada
Last Post: sportsterpaul
Posted On: 5 Minutes Ago
Replies: 5
Views: 14
0 ....1
Last Post: Graywolf
Posted On: 7 Minutes Ago
Replies: 4,873
Views: 282,540
0 true length of after market brake cable
Last Post: jharback
Posted On: 9 Minutes Ago
Replies: 1
Views: 31
0 GPS Speedo?
Posted On: 12 Minutes Ago
Replies: 4
Views: 92
5 How do you Wash your Bike?
Posted On: 16 Minutes Ago
Replies: 12
Views: 174
10 howdy from australia
Posted On: 20 Minutes Ago
Replies: 6
Views: 49
0 1985 XLX Ironhead with Hi-4N Ignition - Spark cuts out at 3500 rpm
Last Post: juzyHD
Posted On: 34 Minutes Ago
Views: 55
0 What did you do for your sporty Today?
Last Post: Kawa110
Posted On: 53 Minutes Ago
Replies: 6,038
Views: 762,186
0 KT - 2019 - Done Riding - Not Hardly
Last Post: Hippysmack
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 72
Views: 6,803
0 Jumping and rocking at around 3K rpm
Last Post: A Seabee
Replies: 10
Views: 118
10 New to the HD world, Ironhrad vs Shovel, whats the diff
Views: 46
0 What song do you have stuck in your head?
Replies: 2,217
Views: 198,172
3 Wtb, Wts, Wtt, Wtg (Evos)
Last Post: sdsbassist
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 16
Views: 71,962
0 Question for RB racing exhaust guys/gals
Last Post: rocketmangb
Replies: 25
Views: 403
0 Robbie's uncomfortable seat theory
Last Post: robbie202
Replies: 24
Views: 647
0 This week on Craig's list
Replies: 4,105
Views: 468,431
0 Innovative motorsports 3918
Last Post: 60Gunner
Replies: 24
Views: 467
0 1991 frame/engine original ground locations
Last Post: IXL2Relax
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 3
Views: 69
0 Battery reversed, bike dead
Replies: 17
Views: 316
0 Fender Fit and Shinko 270 On Rear 4.50x18?
Replies: 22
Views: 6,141
0 Parrothead and the 2019 Iron Butt Rally
Replies: 19
Views: 525
0 Ironhead Survey: Most desired bike
Last Post: ryder rick
Replies: 71
Views: 11,532
0 Rocksett
Last Post: Gone_Shootin
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 0
Views: 26
0 EZY Pull for '77 XLCR
Replies: 8
Views: 127
0 Bike lost power,back fired and stalled
Last Post: zack74
Replies: 116
Views: 3,071
0 A Mad Lad on a Blast
Last Post: Hornsmith
Replies: 14
Views: 310
0 Cams exhaust note
Last Post: 60Gunner
Posted On: 6 Hours Ago
Replies: 8
Views: 1,462
0 Resistor vs Copper plug wires?
Replies: 31
Views: 1,012
0 Show your bike next to a train
Last Post: trainman
Replies: 40
Views: 8,462
More...
Members Birthdays
Sponsored Links

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 1 Week Ago
Asgardian

Sportster/Buell Model: 883r
Sportster/Buell Year: 2003
Other Motorcycle Model: Chris Craft 32
Other Motorcycle Year: abov
Ireeman has a reputation beyond reputeIreeman has a reputation beyond reputeIreeman has a reputation beyond reputeIreeman has a reputation beyond reputeIreeman has a reputation beyond reputeIreeman has a reputation beyond reputeIreeman has a reputation beyond reputeIreeman has a reputation beyond reputeIreeman has a reputation beyond reputeIreeman has a reputation beyond reputeIreeman has a reputation beyond repute

Think of a cash crop that pays better than corn or beef ( lobstah for that matter ) that cross strain selection.
Old 6 Days Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH 1000
Sportster/Buell Year: 1978
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL1200 R
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2005
Other Motorcycle Model: XLCH
Other Motorcycle Year: 1979
Crusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond repute

Surfin’ the Net

Last night, I was surfing the Internet. There was nothing that I really wanted to watch on the idiot box and I wasn’t in the mood to read, so I was checking out used bikes on Craigslist and then I was looking at bikes on Cycle Trader.

I had added a couple of small black pieces to replace their shiny counterparts on the Roadster and I was pleased with the result, so I was looking at other bikes to see what I might also want to trade black for shiny. One item led me to the Official Harley-Davidson website and I discovered that the MoFoCo has decided to revive the Superlow T. That led me to consider whether I should get a Roadster and change the fenders, gas tank, handlebars, etc., or whether it would be better to get a T and make changes to it.

The T comes with the right gas tank and rear fender. It has the conventional forks, but I could get a lower leg and put dual discs on the front. I could also put a full front fender on that front end that would do a better job of keeping the road spray down. I’d have to change the “Mini-footboards” for the equivalent footpegs and brake linkage, etc. from a Roadster, and I’d still have to change the bars. I also think I’d be changing the seat on either model. The T comes with bags, but I don’t know if they’re big enough. I suspect not.

There are other differences, as well. The wheels are different sizes. The Roadster has 19 inch front and 18 inch rear and the T has 18 inch front and 17 inch rear. I looked at tires for a while and discovered that I could get Pirelli Angel GTs for the T. I really liked the Pirellis on both my Buell Ulysses and my Moto Guzzi Norge, though I don’t know how they’d be on a Superlow.

There were a lot of other things to consider, but in the end, I decided to stay with my original plan and go with a Roadster. I don’t really care for Chrome and I prefer the blacked out cosmetics of the CX to the shiny of the T.

I guess Harley agrees with my choice. This morning, I can’t find any mention of a 2019 Superlow T on their website. That’s really bizarre. Last night, I had both the T and the CX side by side for comparison on Harley’s site. Today, that isn’t possible. Maybe I was looking at a Harley site for another country? I don’t know. It definitely said 2019 models.

I do know what I want to have for my next bike. Harley doesn’t make it, but if I play mix ‘n’ match with various Sportster models, I think I can build it. It will be a true Gentleman’s Express.
Old 6 Days Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200c
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
harley506d has a reputation beyond reputeharley506d has a reputation beyond reputeharley506d has a reputation beyond reputeharley506d has a reputation beyond reputeharley506d has a reputation beyond reputeharley506d has a reputation beyond reputeharley506d has a reputation beyond reputeharley506d has a reputation beyond reputeharley506d has a reputation beyond reputeharley506d has a reputation beyond reputeharley506d has a reputation beyond repute

There was a new T in my local Harley shop but as you say not listed on Harley's web page. I noticed though, that when i use my local Harley shops own web pages to view new bikes it takes me direct to Harley's official page.
Should be straightforward to change the out all the parts you want (and you will have some mint bits to sell) apart from the front fender. What are you planning on using to fit the USD forks?
Old 6 Days Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Crusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley506d View Post
There was a new T in my local Harley shop but as you say not listed on Harley's web page. I noticed though, that when i use my local Harley shops own web pages to view new bikes it takes me direct to Harley's official page.
Should be straightforward to change the out all the parts you want (and you will have some mint bits to sell) apart from the front fender. What are you planning on using to fit the USD forks?

The fender from an XR 1200 is a little bit longer on the backside than the stock Roadster fender. I don't know for certain that it will fit, but I'm pretty sure it will. With a fender extender, it will be much better in wet weather.

I probably will keep all the take off parts. I still have most of the original parts from my present Roadster. I just hate to sell something that I might need some day. And, who knows? I might just return it to stock after I get the new Roadster.
Old 6 Days Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Piss and Moan

I just need to whine a little bit. I just got off the phone with a nice gentleman from the greater Cincinnati Water Works. They’re going to be working through my neighborhood replacing lead water pipes. According to the official records, my house has lead pipe bringing in the water. The GCWW is responsible to replace the pipe up to the edge of my property, but from the sidewalk to the house is on my nickel.

God; I’m tired of these unexpected expenses. First, my sewer drain pipe was clogged with roots. That cost me a chunk of change. Then, the furnace took a dump and I got it replaced, along with the A/C unit. I’ll be paying for that for another two years. Then, I had to get the tree in the back taken down before it came down on its own (and it was about to!). There went the rest of my savings. In January, the water heater shit the bed. I thought that was going to be the last major expense for a while. Now, I have to have the water pipe replaced.

I’m so broke I’m having trouble paying attention. I’ve been living on a very thin shoestring since I retired and all these unexpected expenses are getting really old. I don’t go out to eat because it’s a lot cheaper to eat at home and it’s a big deal if I spend six bucks to see a movie (The first show of the day at 10:15 is only six bucks. The price goes up after that).

I don’t know what I’m going to do, but something will materialize. I hope. I filled out the request a quote form on the GCWW site. They subsidize 40% of the cost up to $1500. Once a contractor comes out here, I’ll know just how bad it’s going to hurt. I suspect that it’s going to be pretty painful.

Well; I guess all I can do is take it one step at a time and do the next right thing. One way or another, I’ll survive this and maybe I’ll even grow a bit from it. I just hope that there aren’t any more expensive surprises waiting in the shadows for their opportunity to wreak havoc on my life.

I think I feel a little better, now.
Sponsored Links
Old 6 Days Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1460C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2000
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL1200R
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2006
Other Motorcycle Model: XL1200R
Other Motorcycle Year: 2004
sportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond repute

John, F.W.I.W., “Roebic ”sp?, makes a product of copper sulfate nuggets. A great product to dump down your drain pipe to remove and prevent root infestation. They recommend monthly use, sells more product, but that may not be the frequency needed. I suspect less would be good.
Oh, and this hundred year old farmhouse is full of those surprises. Welcome to the club.
I.B.A.#26543, Growing old-Mandatory/ Growing up-optional. Men do not quit playing because they get old, they get old because they stop playing!

The XL Forum Sportsterpedia:
http://sportsterpedia.com/doku.php/start
Old 6 Days Ago
Chief Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200 R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
gravydog has a reputation beyond reputegravydog has a reputation beyond reputegravydog has a reputation beyond reputegravydog has a reputation beyond reputegravydog has a reputation beyond reputegravydog has a reputation beyond reputegravydog has a reputation beyond reputegravydog has a reputation beyond reputegravydog has a reputation beyond reputegravydog has a reputation beyond reputegravydog has a reputation beyond repute

Plus one on the copper sulfate, My father-in-law was a plumber, that's what he always told folks to use.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk
Old 6 Days Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

I've been using Root X on the recommendation of the plumber who cleared out the drain line. On his recommendation, I use it twice a year; early Spring and late Summer.
Old 6 Days Ago
Air-Cooled Forever

Sportster/Buell Model: XL 1200 C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
Sportster/Buell Model #2: (Prev.Own)XLH Milw.Spec.
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1981
Toejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond repute

You ever check out that "Reverse Home Mortgage"? It always sounded to me like they give you payments on your house or a lump sum and they take possession of it when you die or go into a nursing home. I've thought about it , but it doesn't cover a Modular home that's parked in a manufactured home court (trailer court).
Don't take offense to this suggestion, just something to ponder.