The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE FORUM > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Rubber Mount Sportster Motorcycle Talk (2004-2006)
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Rubber Mount Sportster Motorcycle Talk (2004-2006) This area is to discuss issues, problems and anything else unique to the 2004 and above Sportster motorcycles

Active Threads
0 In case you have not seen Harley-Davidson's New Business Plan-
Last Post: robbie202
Posted On: 8 Minutes Ago
Replies: 9
Views: 304
0 Knowing weather you can ride
Last Post: ZCarFan
Posted On: 12 Minutes Ago
Replies: 8
Views: 112
0 Rubbermount oil consumption poll
Last Post: SLW210
Posted On: 12 Minutes Ago
Replies: 225
Views: 108,986
0 What brand synthetic oil do you use
Last Post: 60Gunner
Posted On: 13 Minutes Ago
Replies: 461
Views: 114,787
0 new to me 883
Posted On: 20 Minutes Ago
Replies: 12
Views: 352
0 Official XL Forum Random Image Thread (NO NUDITY!)
Last Post: Graywolf
Posted On: 27 Minutes Ago
Replies: 46,360
Views: 7,367,599
0 C.O.B.B. CBD oil
Posted On: 30 Minutes Ago
Replies: 25
Views: 1,297
0 Hottie of the day, no nudity.
Last Post: Stairman
Posted On: 32 Minutes Ago
Replies: 16,790
Views: 1,661,360
0 New member
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Views: 101
2 My 1275 Hammer Conversion..
Last Post: Highly-Dangerous
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 81
Views: 3,218
0 su carb question
Last Post: harley506d
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 6
Views: 147
0 `83 XLX rebuid and questions thread
Last Post: spamer80
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 275
Views: 25,049
0 Checking slow jet is correct size
Last Post: Billy1200
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 7
Views: 121
0 Roadster CX Cafe Build
Last Post: Highly-Dangerous
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 14
Views: 454
14 Mid controls??
Last Post: Nicktree1200
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Views: 217
0 Best Street/track Camshaft for boost, help??? :)
Last Post: Jens L
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 0
Views: 37
0 Frame bracket
Last Post: Bwf347
Posted On: 8 Hours Ago
Replies: 6
Views: 218
0 Dyno Run, V&H straight shots vs. Screamin' Eagles
Last Post: 60Gunner
Posted On: 9 Hours Ago
Replies: 51
Views: 41,714
0 Headlight help please
Last Post: PetesPonies
Posted On: 10 Hours Ago
Replies: 10
Views: 327
0 Analysis results on my run of Rotella T
Last Post: TUCCI
Posted On: 10 Hours Ago
Replies: 106
Views: 31,290
0 tire changer
Posted On: 11 Hours Ago
Replies: 3
Views: 281
0 Ve tables for iron 883 with 1250 conversion
Last Post: Bikeaholic
Replies: 5
Views: 185
0 06 Roadster. Any problems? What’s it worth?
Views: 204
0 Why cafe a sportster?
Last Post: TUCCI
Replies: 268
Views: 87,747
0 New to the Chopper Lyfe
Last Post: Bigshankhank
Replies: 35
Views: 3,255
0 Anyone put a mechanical speedo drive on the rear wheel?
Last Post: xl883lo
Replies: 5
Views: 1,345
0 Wtb--1967--1972 xlh
Last Post: Doc308
Posted On: 13 Hours Ago
Replies: 3
Views: 62
0 Hot Rods, Rat Rods, and Customs.
Replies: 3,944
Views: 518,045
0 PLEASE READ THIS Before You Post In 'The BUY - SELL - TRADE Zone'!
Last Post: Folkie
Replies: 1
Views: 375
0 Getting ready to try firing it up after a year long rebuid
Last Post: nychopper
Replies: 38
Views: 1,204
More...
Members Birthdays
fhilliard (79), paulmo (75), Beloved (49), Mr. Cro (49), Chopper Duke (41), Danny3nose (39)
Tags
autometer, shift light, tachometer

Sponsored Links

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19th May 2011
Chief Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: XLC1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XR1200
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2009
goblin_dust is a splendid one to beholdgoblin_dust is a splendid one to beholdgoblin_dust is a splendid one to beholdgoblin_dust is a splendid one to beholdgoblin_dust is a splendid one to beholdgoblin_dust is a splendid one to beholdgoblin_dust is a splendid one to beholdgoblin_dust is a splendid one to beholdgoblin_dust is a splendid one to beholdgoblin_dust is a splendid one to beholdgoblin_dust is a splendid one to behold
Default SE Shift Light tricks and tips needed

I purchased Screamin’ Eagle Programmable Shift Light this spring, thought it would be a nice addition to my Custom as I've always wanted to have a tachometer.
The installation would have been easy if not for misleading original HD Installation Guide. Following these steps my first assembly was quick but did not work. The tach was sitting at 0 and not registering any rpm. After contacting Autometer support (the actual manufacture for this gauge) they advised to connect green signal wire not to terminal #3 of the speedometer as HD Manual suggested, but to either of the two negative coil terminals. After I followed Autometer's advise I can see the tach registering RPM now. Yet, still no good. The numbers seem to jump up and down within 800RPM range regardless of whether the motorcycle is idle or in motion. Another problem as I see is that it does not seem to show correct RPM. For example I know that I switch from 1st to 2nd gear at 30mph, which should be about 3000RPM, but tach still shows about 2500 and jumping.
I contacted the support again (they actually are pretty good at response) and they suggested that erratic RPM is common for Harley models when idle. However if these symptoms persist at higher RPM it could be attributed to electrical interference from the coil and plug wires and simply re-routing may help. I also read on Autometer FAQ site that 10Kohm resistor may smooth reading down.
While I will be making changes to my assembly with what's been suggested so far, I wonder if anybody else in this have SE Pro Shift Light installed on Sportster and how it's working so far? May be you could share the specifics of your assembly too.
Old 21st May 2011
Chief Harley Engineer

goblin_dust is a splendid one to beholdgoblin_dust is a splendid one to beholdgoblin_dust is a splendid one to beholdgoblin_dust is a splendid one to beholdgoblin_dust is a splendid one to beholdgoblin_dust is a splendid one to beholdgoblin_dust is a splendid one to beholdgoblin_dust is a splendid one to beholdgoblin_dust is a splendid one to beholdgoblin_dust is a splendid one to beholdgoblin_dust is a splendid one to behold

I finally got it working! Three days of frustration eventually paid off, now I have nice illumination of my handle bars!

This is what I started with; the regular Custom setup with nothing more than an E-ZPass tag on it.

And this is Autometer Shift Light that was supposed to reveal the mystery of engine revolution

Following HD Installation Manual was not all that difficult, except that it did not work. Well the ground (BLACK) and power (ORANGE/WHITE) wires go as the Manual suggests. The difference is in the signal (PINK) wire. Instead of routing it into terminal #3 of the speedometer PACKARD connector, it actually should go to either of the coil negative terminals. In my setup I spliced the pink wire to the front negative terminal (BLUE/PINK) as shown

The next step was to splice Shift Light harness with newly routed power, ground, and signal wires. Shift Light black wire joins with the ground (BLACK) wire, the red wire of the Shift Light joins with 12v power (ORANGE/WHITE), and finally green wire connects with the pink.
Until now I had my shift light registering rpm, only the numbers were jumping all over the place, it was impossible to make any sense out of it.
The I found this FAQ page on Autometer website link with a video clip of how to plug in 10Kohm resistor. I followed this advise and eventually the harness looked like this

The black wire on the left goes to the ground, the red wire on the right connects with 12v main power, and the green signal wire in the middle connects with one of the coil negative terminals. That black thing between blue connectors is actually the resistor wrapped inside shrinking tube.
And did this work! This resistor made all the difference, the reading on the tach shows solid and responsive to a smallest throttle movement.

I am yet to get used to the shift light and program it properly to match my riding style. The original settings flash the light at 3500rpm, which is little to high for my taste. I set it for 2800 for now, will see how that goes.
It's been raining here in NY the entire week, cant wait for a decent day to take it for a spin on a highway.
Old 21st May 2011
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: Superlow
Sportster/Buell Year: 2011
Samwell is a jewel in the roughSamwell is a jewel in the roughSamwell is a jewel in the roughSamwell is a jewel in the roughSamwell is a jewel in the roughSamwell is a jewel in the roughSamwell is a jewel in the roughSamwell is a jewel in the roughSamwell is a jewel in the roughSamwell is a jewel in the roughSamwell is a jewel in the rough

Looks good. Post up your thoughts once you have had it installed for a while.

Is it waterproof or water resistant at all?

Is it readable in the sun light?

Thanks!!
Old 21st June 2011
Chief Harley Engineer

It's about time I posted some feedback on this product.

1. Installation - very confusing. HD managed to get just about everything wrong in the Installation Manual. Starting with that they identified a wrong tach signal source, so I had to contact vendor for clarification. The last thing was that after I had the bike running I noticed the tach was displaying too high RPM, I did not know how much at the time, but it was definitely too high. It was not until I took my bike to dyno tuning when the technician told me that my tach is registering twice more rpm than it is. Basically HD screwed up in the Manual when said to set cylinder count to 1, the correct setting turned out to be 0.5!
2. Tuning - frustrating. From the beginning the tachometer was erratic, rpm jumping all over the place, could not stand still for a second. Autometer customer support was very quick on answering questions, their website is pretty good too. Basically they recommended to re-route the shift light harness away from coil and plug wires. I found this suggestion a little useless because there is only one way I can route the harness, and it's along the frame back bone, yet my coil happened to sit right there too. So, unless I was willing to relocate my coil to the left side of the cylinders like some people do, their advise was not that useful. However, when I plugged in 10kohm resistor (from RadioShack) on the signal wire as their website suggested. It actually helped a great deal, the reading became a lot more stable. After a while though I noticed that when the engine was hot the tachometer was becoming erratic again. Though it was not very bad, it's just occasionally every 10 seconds or so it would jump about 1000-1500rpm higher and then comes back. I figured it must be the resistor was a poor quality, so I purchased some good carbon based resistor with a broad temperature range. That did not make much difference, the rpm reading still jumps every once in a while once the engine warms up. It's actually quite annoying because every time it jumps the light goes on, which defeats the whole purpose of this device.
3. Operation - kinda okay. The tachometer is still jumpy on a regular street speed. Once I go above 60 mph the reading becomes very stable, does not jump anymore. I can't really explain it, but it's what I see.
4. Reading - good. I can set any higher light intensity on a sunny day, so it's well visible. Turning it back to normal is not that difficult, just pushing a few buttons.
5. Weatherproof - not at all. HD supplies a cover for a rainy day. It was not a problem for me at all caring it with me all the time, since I always care entire rain gear in the trunk. But the cover itself is awkward to put on. It takes of me a few minutes fitting it on the device and making sure it sits securely. Besides the cover is poorly made, just after a couple of uses the stitches started falling apart, I had to sew it back together myself! It was very un-dignifying experience.

So, overall I have to say I would not recommend this product, definitely not worth $250 I paid for it. Now, my woes may be due to the fact that I tried to fit it on carburated model, perhaps on EFI it would have worked much better. I dont know, I leave it for somebody else to find out, as far as I am concerned I accepted the loss, will be removing it next w/e.
Old 21st June 2011
Senior Chief Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster Sport XL1200S
Sportster/Buell Year: 1998
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Fatboy 1450 FLSTFI
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2002
Other Motorcycle Model: Kawasaki KDX125sr
Other Motorcycle Year: 1991
Big-Ed is a name known to allBig-Ed is a name known to allBig-Ed is a name known to allBig-Ed is a name known to allBig-Ed is a name known to allBig-Ed is a name known to allBig-Ed is a name known to allBig-Ed is a name known to allBig-Ed is a name known to allBig-Ed is a name known to allBig-Ed is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by goblin_dust View Post
So, overall I have to say I would not recommend this product, definitely not worth $250 I paid for it. Now, my woes may be due to the fact that I tried to fit it on carburated model, perhaps on EFI it would have worked much better. I dont know, I leave it for somebody else to find out, as far as I am concerned I accepted the loss, will be removing it next w/e.
Man thats sucks big time as I was thinking of buying one of these, & whats more I would have had to have bought it from the US & imported it myself as they didnt sell them in the UK & appear to have been discontinued now... Was thinking about it for my 1550 injection Fatboy...
1998 XL1200S - Harley 2-1 fitted with V&H SS2R, SE race ignition (7500rpm) with matched SE coil, SE yellow leads, NGK Iridium spark plugs, NRHS HurricaneFlow 3" centre hamcan filter, usual 'S' engine internals (w-grind cams, flat top pistons & 10:1 higher comp twin plug heads), SE heavier clutch spring. Soon to have SE 42mm hsr mikuni carb..
Old 22nd June 2011
Chief Harley Engineer

While I was troubleshooting mine I did some research on the Web just to see what people opinions were. I found a few posts of guys installing it on their BT's and being quite happy with the result (though everyone complained about Installation Manual)
Again, I am not sure what's going on with my setup, maybe noisy ignition module or something. It could be that only carburated modules are troublesome.
Old 22nd June 2011
Senior Chief Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster Sport XL1200S
Sportster/Buell Year: 1998
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Fatboy 1450 FLSTFI
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2002
Other Motorcycle Model: Kawasaki KDX125sr
Other Motorcycle Year: 1991
Big-Ed is a name known to allBig-Ed is a name known to allBig-Ed is a name known to allBig-Ed is a name known to allBig-Ed is a name known to allBig-Ed is a name known to allBig-Ed is a name known to allBig-Ed is a name known to allBig-Ed is a name known to allBig-Ed is a name known to allBig-Ed is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by goblin_dust View Post
While I was troubleshooting mine I did some research on the Web just to see what people opinions were. I found a few posts of guys installing it on their BT's and being quite happy with the result (though everyone complained about Installation Manual)
Again, I am not sure what's going on with my setup, maybe noisy ignition module or something. It could be that only carburated modules are troublesome.
Sounds like it could be something to do with the carb bikes ignition that isnt as clean as the FI bikes...

Shame as it looks the part with the led readout & the shiftlight, was ideal to stop me riding the Fatboy & reving it like my Sportster
Old 12th July 2011
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1460C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2000
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL1200R
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2006
Other Motorcycle Model: XL1200R
Other Motorcycle Year: 2004
sportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond repute

You need to set the light for 6,800-7,200 r.p.m. should work fine up there.
I.B.A.#26543, Growing old-Mandatory/ Growing up-optional. Men do not quit playing because they get old, they get old because they stop playing!

The XL Forum Sportsterpedia:
http://sportsterpedia.com/doku.php/start
Old 12th July 2011
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
DF-SLICK is a splendid one to beholdDF-SLICK is a splendid one to beholdDF-SLICK is a splendid one to beholdDF-SLICK is a splendid one to beholdDF-SLICK is a splendid one to beholdDF-SLICK is a splendid one to beholdDF-SLICK is a splendid one to beholdDF-SLICK is a splendid one to beholdDF-SLICK is a splendid one to beholdDF-SLICK is a splendid one to beholdDF-SLICK is a splendid one to behold

How about the Vibration of the engine, Mine is a older tach from a BT, So I use a Converter (Crane Cams) to make it work off the two Signal wires to the coil (12 volt), but the tach is old and occasionally it reads erratically when I warm the bike up and have to shut it off and heat from the engine seem to affect this old tach. So I noted after a while if I get on the throttle to about 80MPH+ and just around 4000 rpm the tach settles down to actual RPMS. Now If let it get cold, like over a lunch with a beer, It reads just fine again. (could be the beer)....lol. Time to replace that EBay tach...only has a 5500 red line.
2005 XL1200C. Vance & Hines two into one exhaust system, Mikuni HSR42, Stainless braided Throttle and F-Brake & Clutch lines, PM Front Caliper, EBC Floating front rotor. Round NRHS Air cleaner. F/Fork Intiminators, Ricor 13.5 rear shocks, Super Brace. Works Performance Front Springs. TC88A with Rico's Jester ignition maps. NRHS Stainless Oil Filter.

Sponsored Links
Old 21st July 2011
Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200cx
Sportster/Buell Year: 16
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL883
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2006
Jarhead07 has a spectacular aura aboutJarhead07 has a spectacular aura aboutJarhead07 has a spectacular aura aboutJarhead07 has a spectacular aura aboutJarhead07 has a spectacular aura aboutJarhead07 has a spectacular aura aboutJarhead07 has a spectacular aura aboutJarhead07 has a spectacular aura aboutJarhead07 has a spectacular aura aboutJarhead07 has a spectacular aura aboutJarhead07 has a spectacular aura about

My 06 had similar problems with the light my local stealer replaced the speedo with a 07 unit tac works great helps me not miss 1-2-3 shits at the strip with a 26t pully