The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE FORUM > Sportster Motorcycle Styles > Sportster Motorcycle Project
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Active Threads
0 Keep & Kill
Last Post: Crusty
Posted On: 12 Minutes Ago
Replies: 15,621
Views: 876,758
0 ***DK CUSTOM-Performance Stage I Upgrade Kits for Sportsters-w/Report & Dynos***
Last Post: DK Custom
Posted On: 14 Minutes Ago
Replies: 7
Views: 3,318
0 What did you do for your sporty Today?
Last Post: twinspeed
Posted On: 23 Minutes Ago
Replies: 6,584
Views: 889,284
0 New to the Chopper Lyfe
Last Post: Bigshankhank
Posted On: 42 Minutes Ago
Replies: 40
Views: 3,753
0 Noise from Primary. Bike with extremely low miles
Last Post: Flame__
Posted On: 50 Minutes Ago
Replies: 6
Views: 230
0 You asked for it! "The Tess' Coffee Thread"
Last Post: Flame__
Posted On: 53 Minutes Ago
Replies: 10,995
Views: 951,060
0 Hello from Northern Alberta
Last Post: Ted Town
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 11
Views: 122
0 06 Roadster. Any problems? What’s it worth?
Last Post: brixtonanima
Views: 517
0 im sure its been done to death trans fluid
Last Post: burely
Replies: 4
Views: 115
0 Clutch lever pull effort
Last Post: Tomcatt
Replies: 1
Views: 70
0 Hottie of the day, no nudity.
Last Post: trainman
Replies: 16,809
Views: 1,664,538
0 Official XL Forum Random Image Thread (NO NUDITY!)
Last Post: Graywolf
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 46,363
Views: 7,368,771
0 Wtb--1967--1972 xlh
Last Post: Doc308
Replies: 5
Views: 133
2 My 1275 Hammer Conversion..
Last Post: rocketmangb
Replies: 98
Views: 3,836
0 G'Day from Queensland Australia
Last Post: rokytnji
Replies: 8
Views: 77
0 Modify my dyna 2ki ignition
Last Post: bustert
Replies: 2
Views: 126
0 Accessory Fuse
Last Post: Folkie
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Views: 171
0 su carb question
Last Post: kitabel
Replies: 18
Views: 506
0 Iron-shed
Last Post: ferretface
Views: 281
0 my recent ebay purchase
Last Post: Blowupster
Posted On: 6 Hours Ago
Replies: 25
Views: 1,563
2 Your daily tunes...
Last Post: Dan78
Posted On: 7 Hours Ago
Replies: 7
Views: 379
0 never mind
Last Post: IXL2Relax
Posted On: 7 Hours Ago
Replies: 141
Views: 11,280
0 Checking slow jet is correct size
Last Post: Billy1200
Posted On: 8 Hours Ago
Views: 244
0 EFI conversion on an '05 1200c??
Last Post: spitfirechopper
Posted On: 8 Hours Ago
Replies: 1
Views: 54
0 New member
Last Post: rocketmangb
Posted On: 11 Hours Ago
Replies: 10
Views: 339
0 The Dealer Is So Out of Touch - Shitty Experience
Last Post: Traxx
Posted On: 13 Hours Ago
Replies: 26
Views: 1,667
0 Knowing weather you can ride
Last Post: Traxx
Posted On: 13 Hours Ago
Replies: 16
Views: 516
0 Cleaning clutch
Last Post: tussuck
Posted On: 14 Hours Ago
Replies: 3
Views: 240
0 Bleed air from the oil drain tube after an oil change?
Last Post: tussuck
Posted On: 14 Hours Ago
Views: 526
0 Too HOT to ride?
Last Post: glbsportster
Posted On: 16 Hours Ago
Replies: 336
Views: 26,212
More...
Members Birthdays
pwssr, petefwa, skeeter883 (68), roadogette (67), khaskins (62), iriegnome (55), sportster808 (52), ironheadmax (50), matt275 (45), DJb (44), HDFirefighter (38)
Sponsored Links

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 1st December 2012
Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883C - Two Tone Blue
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
Other Motorcycle Model: Honda CM400T
Other Motorcycle Year: 1980
bobberman66 is a jewel in the roughbobberman66 is a jewel in the roughbobberman66 is a jewel in the roughbobberman66 is a jewel in the roughbobberman66 is a jewel in the roughbobberman66 is a jewel in the roughbobberman66 is a jewel in the roughbobberman66 is a jewel in the roughbobberman66 is a jewel in the roughbobberman66 is a jewel in the roughbobberman66 is a jewel in the rough

I'm beginning to ask the same question myself. Granted it makes for a cleaner, and nostalgic looking bike, functionality is throw out the window, with that setup. I'll see where he lands.

grinding won't start until he gets me the hardtail he wants. but I'll post pictures.

Happy Holidays

Wrench Head of the Popes of Hell MC
Old 1st March 2013
Know It All

bobberman66 is a jewel in the roughbobberman66 is a jewel in the roughbobberman66 is a jewel in the roughbobberman66 is a jewel in the roughbobberman66 is a jewel in the roughbobberman66 is a jewel in the roughbobberman66 is a jewel in the roughbobberman66 is a jewel in the roughbobberman66 is a jewel in the roughbobberman66 is a jewel in the roughbobberman66 is a jewel in the rough

Hey, sorry, everyone, I got laid off on 12/4. So I've not had much time to continue to grind, and wrench on my buddies bike. but I am pulling together a final image.

He wants to fork tubes ground and polished, the motor freshened up, and krinkle painted. The hardtail welded on. I've decided to mount tried and trued foot clutch setup from HD, stock, with floorboards, and a jockey shift (custom) I'm thinking of getting an '8-ball' or have a 'screw' painted on a ball, cause' he's a screwball.

He wants a basic black bike, gloss frame and flat tins. I may sneak some pinstripping in there for good measure.

So after I secure employment, I'll start hitting this project again. I know spring is right around the corner, so I'm running out of time. I was hoping to have it ready for him this season, but I could still make it.

I'll keep you all posted.
Old 6th August 2013
Know It All

Update for you faithful followers. My buddy and I spoke again on his bike, and he gave me more things to add to his wishlist. Plus I'm employed again, but Summer's here, and no time for wrenching only riding. So I'm squeezing in efforts on his bike, between items on my Honey-Do-List! Where did my summer go?

I'll post some more photos as I make changes. Still got the left side to polish, painting the motor with krinkle black, and freshening, not in that order. I'm hoping to get her running, before he shows up with a hardtail kit!
Old 6th October 2013
Know It All

Well, fall is here. Since i missed the spring delivery by a mile! Im going for the whole shootin' match. Hardtail, internal throttle, le pera seat, I've got one an damn is it comfy. Fresh paint and all. Tore into the right side and got schooled on engine design. This is my first tear down, so im glad I've got the shop manual.

Im looking for a decent internal throttle setup, that doesn't cost me an arm and leg. Suggestions are welcome.

Thats all for now.
Old 2nd April 2016
Know It All

Default Better Late than Never

Good evening, Life as usual gets in the way at my house. I'm usually knckin out the items on my never-ending 'Honey Do List'. We're finally wrapping up the laundry list of household items that I offered to complete for us in our homestead. I'm a big believer in doing it myself, and reinvesting that saved 'Labor $$$' into another house project. It worked out well. Sorry getting off topic.

I refocused my efforts on my buddies bike, since he did a great plumbing job for me.

Here is my efforts. I've finished the motor, polished every piece by hand, then bought a harbor freight buffer, and made them shiny. I need my shades! VHT Wrinkle paint too. That stuff is easy to use, and comes out great.

Next is the frame, clean up some slag, paint it. The tins will get a flat black with tribal pinstriping, and I'll shoot them again with flat clear. wire it, fire it up, and give it to my buddy so his dad, can ride the piss out of it.

Enough chit chat. Enjoy the gratuitous shine...

Old 19th December 2018
Know It All

Ok, I’ll admit things got a bit sidetracked. My buddy got lime’s disease, so he getting back to full strength. We had a sit down and decided what he wants. Fat tire, I think a 200 is the largest width I can mount on the stock rim, jockey shift, electric brake block, internal throttle, wires internal to frame (thinking of using factory harness,but removing all unnecessary stuff like turn signals...��). Only need ignition, headlight, brake light. Grinding mounts from forks and polish, rear brake only, maybe a dual setup, bobtail fender, drag pipes, 10” shorty shocks, side mount plate/light. That’s it, thoughts and advice always welcome.
Old 20th December 2018
Artist, rider, wrencher

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200 (Bruiser)
Sportster/Buell Year: 1989
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 883 (Fiona)
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1988
Other Motorcycle Model: FLHTC (Ruby Lee)
Other Motorcycle Year: 2000
Flame__ has a reputation beyond reputeFlame__ has a reputation beyond reputeFlame__ has a reputation beyond reputeFlame__ has a reputation beyond reputeFlame__ has a reputation beyond reputeFlame__ has a reputation beyond reputeFlame__ has a reputation beyond reputeFlame__ has a reputation beyond reputeFlame__ has a reputation beyond reputeFlame__ has a reputation beyond reputeFlame__ has a reputation beyond repute

Good to see you're still at it. I wouldn't know where to start on mine. I'm easily distracted.

Gamertag, PS4: Bikerdude__
Sponsored Links
Old 22nd December 2018
Know It All

Ok, I've some questions?

1. I need to weld up some patches to the holes in the rear fender struts. What gauge sheet metal should I use?

2. Has anyone retro fit a 03-05 rear master cylinder that mounts between the frame rails, to a 1991 sportster?

Lastly, 3. what is the largest width tire I can fit on the stock rear wheel of the 1991 sportster? Is it a 200, and is there any clearance issues with the belt drive I need to consider?

Thanks
Old 28th December 2018
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1460C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2000
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL1200R
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2006
Other Motorcycle Model: XL1200R
Other Motorcycle Year: 2004
sportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond repute

You can take a measurement between the struts but I suspect that a 140 may be the widest you can do on a “rigid” frame. My 2000 easily handled Avon’s, Dunlop’s and Michelin’s in that size. Not all tires with that designation will be exactly the same. Most found that going wider required switching to chain drive for additional clearance.
I.B.A.#26543, Growing old-Mandatory/ Growing up-optional. Men do not quit playing because they get old, they get old because they stop playing!

The XL Forum Sportsterpedia:
http://sportsterpedia.com/doku.php/start
Old 5th January 2019
Know It All

@flame_, I’ll admit it is hard to get started, but I’ve found if I write down a plan. It’s much easier to start. I just pick away at the list, so its a ‘MeDo list’, rather than my ‘Honey Do List’. After this, I’ve a ‘78 sportster basket case that I’ll be redoing for myself. I’m excited purely because it has a kick start.