The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > REGIONAL FORUMS > Australia - The Land of OZ > Queensland
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Active Threads
0 Too HOT to ride?
Last Post: boomerguy
Posted On: 1 Minute Ago
Replies: 335
Views: 26,088
0 Knowing weather you can ride
Last Post: Bigshankhank
Posted On: 8 Minutes Ago
Replies: 13
Views: 163
0 What brand synthetic oil do you use
Last Post: glbsportster
Posted On: 23 Minutes Ago
Replies: 463
Views: 114,984
0 In case you have not seen Harley-Davidson's New Business Plan-
Last Post: TUCCI
Posted On: 30 Minutes Ago
Replies: 12
Views: 338
2 My 1275 Hammer Conversion..
Last Post: Highly-Dangerous
Posted On: 43 Minutes Ago
Replies: 82
Views: 3,245
0 su carb question
Last Post: needspeed
Posted On: 58 Minutes Ago
Replies: 7
Views: 191
0 Checking slow jet is correct size
Last Post: Billy1200
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 8
Views: 127
0 The Dealer Is So Out of Touch - Shitty Experience
Last Post: Traxx
Replies: 24
Views: 1,500
0 Lets see your off season builds
Last Post: madnss
Replies: 1,375
Views: 193,588
0 C.O.B.B. CBD oil
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 26
Views: 1,358
0 Rubbermount oil consumption poll
Last Post: SLW210
Replies: 225
Views: 108,999
0 new to me 883
Last Post: robbie202
Replies: 12
Views: 371
0 Official XL Forum Random Image Thread (NO NUDITY!)
Last Post: Graywolf
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 46,360
Views: 7,367,689
0 Hottie of the day, no nudity.
Last Post: Stairman
Replies: 16,790
Views: 1,661,555
0 New member
Last Post: Stairman
Views: 124
0 `83 XLX rebuid and questions thread
Last Post: spamer80
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Replies: 275
Views: 25,055
0 Roadster CX Cafe Build
Last Post: Highly-Dangerous
Posted On: 6 Hours Ago
Replies: 14
Views: 530
14 Mid controls??
Last Post: Nicktree1200
Posted On: 6 Hours Ago
Views: 221
0 Best Street/track Camshaft for boost, help??? :)
Last Post: Jens L
Posted On: 7 Hours Ago
Replies: 0
Views: 46
0 Frame bracket
Last Post: Bwf347
Posted On: 10 Hours Ago
Replies: 6
Views: 229
0 Dyno Run, V&H straight shots vs. Screamin' Eagles
Last Post: 60Gunner
Posted On: 11 Hours Ago
Replies: 51
Views: 41,841
0 Headlight help please
Last Post: PetesPonies
Posted On: 12 Hours Ago
Replies: 10
Views: 327
0 Analysis results on my run of Rotella T
Posted On: 13 Hours Ago
Replies: 106
Views: 31,429
0 tire changer
Replies: 3
Views: 303
0 Ve tables for iron 883 with 1250 conversion
Last Post: Bikeaholic
Replies: 5
Views: 187
0 06 Roadster. Any problems? What’s it worth?
Views: 230
0 Why cafe a sportster?
Posted On: 14 Hours Ago
Replies: 268
Views: 87,896
0 New to the Chopper Lyfe
Last Post: Bigshankhank
Replies: 35
Views: 3,258
0 Anyone put a mechanical speedo drive on the rear wheel?
Last Post: xl883lo
Replies: 5
Views: 1,345
0 Wtb--1967--1972 xlh
Last Post: Doc308
Posted On: 15 Hours Ago
Replies: 3
Views: 66
More...
Members Birthdays
fhilliard (79), paulmo (75), Beloved (49), Mr. Cro (49), Chopper Duke (41), Danny3nose (39)
Sponsored Links

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18th June 2008
Senior Chief Harley Engineer 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2004
Other Motorcycle Model: Sold
jaws is a jewel in the roughjaws is a jewel in the roughjaws is a jewel in the roughjaws is a jewel in the roughjaws is a jewel in the roughjaws is a jewel in the roughjaws is a jewel in the roughjaws is a jewel in the roughjaws is a jewel in the roughjaws is a jewel in the roughjaws is a jewel in the rough
Default Coming to visit Cairns

Hey guys...coming for a little trip of NZ and Australia ending in Cairns. So what should I go see ?
Old 18th June 2008
OzChick

Sportster/Buell Model: XL 1200N
Sportster/Buell Year: 08
Other Motorcycle Model: Triumph Bobber
Other Motorcycle Year: 2017
sportytrace has a reputation beyond reputesportytrace has a reputation beyond reputesportytrace has a reputation beyond reputesportytrace has a reputation beyond reputesportytrace has a reputation beyond reputesportytrace has a reputation beyond reputesportytrace has a reputation beyond reputesportytrace has a reputation beyond reputesportytrace has a reputation beyond reputesportytrace has a reputation beyond reputesportytrace has a reputation beyond repute

Well obviously without a doubt you are seeing the reef while there.... If you are okay with riding on the left side, hire a bike and head up onto the Atherton tablelands; gorgeous area with some really nice riding at this time of the year. You must get up to the Daintree- incredible rainforest. Most people add the Kuranda rail and sky rail to their itineries though Kuranda is now fairly touristy as a result.
Are you travelling alone or with family?
What do you like doing? Adrenalin / Energetic / Walking Pace / Lie Still
Cheers
Trace
ps If you get to travel outside of Cairns head to the Whitsunday's for some sailing - beautiful area - or camp at Hook Island where you can walk off the beach to some spectacular snorkel reef within 100m of shore. I'm based on the Gold Coast, let me know if you are getting this far south!

Work/Life Balance? Just work more at Living!
Nyx: 08 XLN~ 90" Dyno Results; 90" of Street-based FUN coming downunder; My six year refresh adventure
TBob: 2017 Triumph Bobber; Making a Decision on a New Bike
Muse: 1982 Honda CBX Shed Find
Photography: My take on the world
Old 18th June 2008
Master Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: Nill
Swankster is a jewel in the roughSwankster is a jewel in the roughSwankster is a jewel in the roughSwankster is a jewel in the roughSwankster is a jewel in the roughSwankster is a jewel in the roughSwankster is a jewel in the roughSwankster is a jewel in the roughSwankster is a jewel in the roughSwankster is a jewel in the roughSwankster is a jewel in the rough

Cool! I last holidayed (as the OZeeeeees say) in Cairns in 1987 when I was a lad in my 20's with my wife. I won the trip via a reward in conjunction with the 1rst Crocodile Dundee movie prmeiring in 1986. A long story. I loved Cairns and everything about it and beyond... an even longer story yada, yada, yada,
I lived in a Melbourne suburb back in 1969-1972 and never got up that far.
Have a blast and enjoy a pastie, sausage roll (don't forget the tomato sauce), bugs and if you love fish; the Barramundi fish. Simply exquisite
Go St. Kilda
Swankster
Swankster
Still BIKELESS & hating Life!
Old 19th June 2008

jaws is a jewel in the roughjaws is a jewel in the roughjaws is a jewel in the roughjaws is a jewel in the roughjaws is a jewel in the roughjaws is a jewel in the roughjaws is a jewel in the roughjaws is a jewel in the roughjaws is a jewel in the roughjaws is a jewel in the roughjaws is a jewel in the rough

Actually it's a 4 city trip ending in Cairns. Going to Auckland, Queenstown, Sydney and Cairns.

It's me and my wife, Kuranda/Daintree and diving the reef are already on the itinerary. Actually we love it all..chilling and active. Very excited, it's been a dream of mine to visit Australia for the past 20 yrs or so so I don't want to miss anything good. Unfortunately I don't think we'll make the gold coast, kind of far from Sydney or Cairns Do want to some of Route one though.

I'm ok with driving/riding on the left, doesn't matter to me. As long as it has at least two wheels and an engine I'm good.

I won't be there until October though.

Last edited by jaws; 19th June 2008 at 05:40..
Old 19th June 2008
OzChick

sportytrace has a reputation beyond reputesportytrace has a reputation beyond reputesportytrace has a reputation beyond reputesportytrace has a reputation beyond reputesportytrace has a reputation beyond reputesportytrace has a reputation beyond reputesportytrace has a reputation beyond reputesportytrace has a reputation beyond reputesportytrace has a reputation beyond reputesportytrace has a reputation beyond reputesportytrace has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaws View Post
Actually it's a 4 city trip ending in Cairns. Going to Auckland, Queenstown, Sydney and Cairns.

It's me and my wife, Kuranda/Daintree and diving the reef are already on the itinerary. Actually we love it all..chilling and active. Very excited, it's been a dream of mine to visit Australia for the past 20 yrs or so so I don't want to miss anything good. Unfortunately I don't think we'll make the gold coast, kind of far from Sydney or Cairns Do want to some of Route one though.

I'm ok with driving/riding on the left, doesn't matter to me. As long as it has at least two wheels and an engine I'm good.

I won't be there until October though.
October is a great time of year to be travelling when doing both NZ and Oz. Queenstown is awesome... especially if you like adrenaline activities. But make sure you get out of the town too though... two other must do's I'd suggest on the South Island... Milford Sound (don't forget the Aerogard!) and if you get the chance choose a smaller boat so that you get a better feel for the size, nature and peace of it. If it is a nice day and you have a day to spend there (and it is not absolutely pouring down which it does a lot of at the sound) I would choose to kayak it.
Fox Glacier is the other. Helicopter up onto the glacier and walk it. Again if you have the full day you may choose to chopper up and walk out; otherwise chopper back out again too. There are also some great caves further south and white water rafting around Queenstown if you like.
Sydney is a great city and of course has the iconic opera house and harbour bridge. The harbour cruises / dinners are always enjoyable. Maybe one of the Sydney based guys can give some more direction on things to do while there.
Blue mountains are nice... if you had the time I'd say ride the Great Ocean Road to Melbourne... awesome. But a bit out of your way I'm guessing by the four city itinerary.

From Cairns if you decide to ride "route 1" also known as the Bruce Hwy in Qld, just be aware that the roads are not always in the best condition. They've had lots of flooding over the past couple of years and the maintenance hasn't been able to keep up. The road south from Cairns to Tully is shocking as is the highway between Bowen and Townsville. (You might want a softail or four wheels) If you wanted to ride/drive south to the Whitsundays it is around 600km but allow at least 7.5 hours and much more if you want to stop and look at things or visit attractions on the way.
If you are sticking closer to Cairns then a two-day or three-day tablelands drive tour would be great on a bike. Here is a site with the popular drives: http://www.athertontablelands.com.au...f-drive-tours/

Other things to consider that I've found worthwhile in and around Cairns: the Undara Lava Tubes ; A day & nite wildlife tour (if you get really lucky you might see a platypus and a tree kangaroo which most aussies wouldn't see in their natural habitats); and Chillagoe.

Cheers
Trace
ps Let me know if you need more info or other stuff.
Old 20th June 2008

Awesome Sportytrace, thanks a million! We're slowly filling in the trip, I'll definitely be back with more specific questions. We have some time in every city. We're spending a total of 6 days in NZ 3 in Auckland and 3 in Queenstown. We'll be in Sydney for 3 and then 7 nights in Cairns.
Old 21st June 2008
Drag Race Champion

Sportster/Buell Model: sportster 1200 c
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 883
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1995
Other Motorcycle Model: Sportster 1000
Other Motorcycle Year: 1979
walka has disabled reputation

Just watch out for Drop Bears, Nasty little things
Old 23rd June 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportytrace View Post
October is a great time of year to be travelling when doing both NZ and Oz. Queenstown is awesome... especially if you like adrenaline activities. But make sure you get out of the town too though... two other must do's I'd suggest on the South Island... Milford Sound (don't forget the Aerogard!) and if you get the chance choose a smaller boat so that you get a better feel for the size, nature and peace of it. If it is a nice day and you have a day to spend there (and it is not absolutely pouring down which it does a lot of at the sound) I would choose to kayak it.
Fox Glacier is the other. Helicopter up onto the glacier and walk it. Again if you have the full day you may choose to chopper up and walk out; otherwise chopper back out again too. There are also some great caves further south and white water rafting around Queenstown if you like.
Sydney is a great city and of course has the iconic opera house and harbour bridge. The harbour cruises / dinners are always enjoyable. Maybe one of the Sydney based guys can give some more direction on things to do while there.
Blue mountains are nice... if you had the time I'd say ride the Great Ocean Road to Melbourne... awesome. But a bit out of your way I'm guessing by the four city itinerary.

From Cairns if you decide to ride "route 1" also known as the Bruce Hwy in Qld, just be aware that the roads are not always in the best condition. They've had lots of flooding over the past couple of years and the maintenance hasn't been able to keep up. The road south from Cairns to Tully is shocking as is the highway between Bowen and Townsville. (You might want a softail or four wheels) If you wanted to ride/drive south to the Whitsundays it is around 600km but allow at least 7.5 hours and much more if you want to stop and look at things or visit attractions on the way.
If you are sticking closer to Cairns then a two-day or three-day tablelands drive tour would be great on a bike. Here is a site with the popular drives: http://www.athertontablelands.com.au...f-drive-tours/

Other things to consider that I've found worthwhile in and around Cairns: the Undara Lava Tubes ; A day & nite wildlife tour (if you get really lucky you might see a platypus and a tree kangaroo which most aussies wouldn't see in their natural habitats); and Chillagoe.

Cheers
Trace
ps Let me know if you need more info or other stuff.

Hey Trace, I'm thinking of changing our itinerary and drive (or take the train) from Sydney to Canberra, than fly from there to Cairns. Is that a tough drive or is that road ok to do? Seems like a scenic route.
Old 23rd June 2008
OzChick

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaws View Post
Hey Trace, I'm thinking of changing our itinerary and drive (or take the train) from Sydney to Canberra, than fly from there to Cairns. Is that a tough drive or is that road ok to do? Seems like a scenic route.
No worries with the drive from Sydney to Canberra... deciding which way to go to get there is the hardest part BTW, Canberra itself is not one of my favourite destinations, but there are some really nice roads and sights on the way to it!

Going straight through Goulburn to Canberra is just under 300kms and an easy scenic drive.
But you could also go via Wollongong and along the Grand Pacific Drive... pretty! And doesn't really add many kms... maybe another 50-60 kms. http://www.visitnsw.com/Grand_Pacific_Drive_p653.aspx

Or you could loop up and out and go through the blue mountains; Lithgow, Bathurst, Cowra, Canberra. This is about 500km and would be a very full day with some mountain driving.
http://www.openroad.com.au/travel_gr...untrydrive.asp

Depends what you might like to see. But yes, via Canberra will get you out of Sydney into some nice areas.
Cheers
Trace
Sponsored Links
Old 25th June 2008

Thanks Trace.