The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE & BUELL MOTORCYCLE FORUM - GENERAL DISCUSSION > Riding Tips & Safety Advice
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Riding Tips & Safety Advice Got a question about your riding technique or safety issues?

Active Threads
0 I'm going nuts (Adjusting Fuel Mixture)
Last Post: Another.Mike
Posted On: 1 Minute Ago
Replies: 19
Views: 233
0 mid controls
Last Post: kitster
Posted On: 1 Minute Ago
Replies: 6
Views: 57
0 little rock
Last Post: kitster
Posted On: 9 Minutes Ago
Replies: 7
Views: 80
0 Front cylinder noise
Last Post: 60Gunner
Posted On: 27 Minutes Ago
Replies: 11
Views: 180
0 Clutch issue
Last Post: kas
Posted On: 47 Minutes Ago
Replies: 0
Views: 13
0 900 dual carb front head
Last Post: brucstoudt
Posted On: 48 Minutes Ago
Replies: 34
Views: 1,406
0 Ignition question
Last Post: doodah man
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 2
Views: 69
0 Tried starting the bike this morning, batter charged, but bike wont turnover?
Last Post: clc1989
Replies: 15
Views: 364
0 Official XL Forum Random Image Thread (NO NUDITY!)
Last Post: Stairman
Replies: 43,228
Views: 6,749,278
0 This week on Craig's list
Last Post: Ferrous Head
Replies: 3,853
Views: 434,910
0 70 xlch tuneup and intake manifold
Last Post: Ferrous Head
Replies: 34
Views: 959
0 1200S cam comparisons
Last Post: Saint666
Replies: 10
Views: 410
0 How many have converted their 883 to 1200?
Last Post: IXL2Relax
Replies: 385
Views: 102,507
0 Are the 04s the red headed step child?
Last Post: boomerguy
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 89
Views: 5,630
0 Roads I'd like to ride.
Replies: 1,443
Views: 125,752
0 New acquisition
Last Post: heyshott 81
Replies: 4
Views: 109
0 Hottie of the day, no nudity.
Replies: 10,386
Views: 911,511
0 Upside Down Monoshock IH - A Longterm Project
Last Post: paulc
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 91
Views: 25,323
0 Crusty's Travels
Last Post: SonWon
Replies: 2,028
Views: 245,190
5 '77 ironhead fork neck cup conversion internal steering stop
Last Post: Slytat
Replies: 5
Views: 202
0 lucas oil additive....
Last Post: bustert
Replies: 31
Views: 9,422
0 Runs rough on highway.
Last Post: bustert
Replies: 27
Views: 750
0 Tires for "Rubber mount XL" poll.
Last Post: Bryan83taco
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 207
Views: 53,816
5 Summer time heat
Last Post: Toejam503
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Replies: 24
Views: 1,089
0 Hot Chicks on Hot Bikes
Replies: 9,696
Views: 1,573,843
0 Oil Dipstick with Temperature Gauge 63023-05
Last Post: Jarlaxle
Replies: 36
Views: 17,278
0 Bendix / Zenith questions
Last Post: The Doctor71
Posted On: 6 Hours Ago
Replies: 54
Views: 24,392
0 Lacing a 21 inch wheel to a 19 inch hub
Last Post: ryder rick
Posted On: 6 Hours Ago
Replies: 19
Views: 390
0 What is the best '70's Ironhead to restore
Last Post: rokytnji
Posted On: 7 Hours Ago
Replies: 252
Views: 84,864
0 Modified heads
Last Post: mrmom9r
Posted On: 7 Hours Ago
Replies: 10
Views: 407
More...
Members Birthdays
Wild One, Bugs (66), Blazer (63), OnDVirg (63), Buggyboy (60), TheChimp (45)
Sponsored Links

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14th September 2018
Flat Track Racer

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2000
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL883C
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2006
Diogenes415 has a reputation beyond reputeDiogenes415 has a reputation beyond reputeDiogenes415 has a reputation beyond reputeDiogenes415 has a reputation beyond reputeDiogenes415 has a reputation beyond reputeDiogenes415 has a reputation beyond reputeDiogenes415 has a reputation beyond reputeDiogenes415 has a reputation beyond reputeDiogenes415 has a reputation beyond reputeDiogenes415 has a reputation beyond reputeDiogenes415 has a reputation beyond repute

Luckily I grew up with a couple of brothers who, like I, were competitive. Not in an "in your face" sort of way but we'd try to push each other past what we thought were our limits. Since we rode together that transferred to our riding prowess as well. We'd have closed course competitions of who could stop the quickest, ride a section of road the fastest and stuff like that. Practice makes perfect. We were then turned on to Keith Code's book 'Twist of a Wrist' which taught us practical applications that not only work on the race track but on the street as well. We applied those lessons learned to our bike handling practices. We rode in various groups of hooligans and got in situations in which, over the years, riding buddies have died because of their lack of preparedness which was surpassed by their testosterone levels yet my brothers and I have survived. Riding a motorcycle isn't just a recreational activity, it's a discipline in which preparation and training helps increase your odds of surviving difficult situations that are thrown in your path. Forty years later we are still alive and riding without incident... without ever having crashed on public roads or even 'dropped' a bike.

With that said it's in your best interest to approach riding a motorcycle with you on your 'A' game... with your tools, your motorcycle, being at it's peak efficiency. A motorcycle will stop best using the front brake, that's a fact. Conditioning yourself to use it well as your primary instinct instead of relying on making a decision and responding, which causes precious seconds to lapse, is a game changer. Sure motorcycle styles and trends tend to dictate what sort of handicap you will be left to deal with but if you want to increase your odds of surviving the game, choose a good set of tools that you have trained to use.

Rant off.
Old 14th September 2018
Flat Track Racer

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2000
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL883C
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2006
Diogenes415 has a reputation beyond reputeDiogenes415 has a reputation beyond reputeDiogenes415 has a reputation beyond reputeDiogenes415 has a reputation beyond reputeDiogenes415 has a reputation beyond reputeDiogenes415 has a reputation beyond reputeDiogenes415 has a reputation beyond reputeDiogenes415 has a reputation beyond reputeDiogenes415 has a reputation beyond reputeDiogenes415 has a reputation beyond reputeDiogenes415 has a reputation beyond repute

Luckily I grew up with a couple of brothers who, like I, were competitive. Not in an "in your face" sort of way but we'd try to push each other past what we thought were our limits. Since we rode together that transferred to our riding prowess as well. We'd have closed course competitions of who could stop the quickest, ride a section of road the fastest and stuff like that. Practice makes perfect. We were then turned on to Keith Code's book 'Twist of a Wrist' which taught us practical applications that not only work on the race track but on the street as well. We applied those lessons learned to our bike handling practices. We rode in various groups of hooligans and got in situations in which, over the years, riding buddies have died because of their lack of preparedness which was surpassed by their testosterone levels yet my brothers and I have survived. Riding a motorcycle isn't just a recreational activity, it's a discipline in which preparation and training helps increase your odds of surviving difficult situations that are thrown in your path. Forty years later we are still alive and riding without incident... without ever having crashed on public roads or even 'dropped' a bike.

With that said it's in your best interest to approach riding a motorcycle with you on your 'A' game... with your tools, your motorcycle, being at it's peak efficiency. A motorcycle will stop best using the front brake, that's a fact. Conditioning yourself to use it well as your primary instinct instead of relying on making a decision and responding, which causes precious seconds to lapse, is a game changer. Sure motorcycle styles and trends tend to dictate what sort of handicap you will be left to deal with but if you want to increase your odds of surviving the game, choose a good set of tools that you have trained to use.

Rant off.
Old 14th September 2018
Chief Opinion Expert

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 05
60Gunner has a reputation beyond repute60Gunner has a reputation beyond repute60Gunner has a reputation beyond repute60Gunner has a reputation beyond repute60Gunner has a reputation beyond repute60Gunner has a reputation beyond repute60Gunner has a reputation beyond repute60Gunner has a reputation beyond repute60Gunner has a reputation beyond repute60Gunner has a reputation beyond repute60Gunner has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by wedge View Post
Honestly, in a real panic situation, that isn't going to happen. Everyone really needs to take the time to learn how to lock up both brakes and bring it to a complete stop without crashing from at least 30 MPH. You are never going to downshift three times in fast succession while the bumper in front of you is getting closer by the second.

In the military, the government owns your body, you are essentially government property. Back in 69 while in Okinawa we had to be able to do just that to get a license. It was part of the test that included some other really hairball things. Looking back, I'm probably alive today because they forced me to learn things that most of the time you will never use. Locking the brakes is never recommended, but the ability to do it is as important as breathing in my book.
Actually where I grew up we had to do similar stuff in a car as part of our driver's ed class. Lock it up and spin it around in a parking lot. Fun stuff. lol

Old 15th November 2018
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: Buell Lightning
Sportster/Buell Year: 2008
Henry007 is an unknown quantity at this point

This is a great and useful thread! Unfortunately, everyone can face such a problem. It is not a joke, your life is in danger...Also I think it is hard not to panic at this moment
Old 15th November 2018
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL 883/1200 Hugger
Sportster/Buell Year: 1995
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 11 RK
Other Motorcycle Model: 72 Triumph Daytona
ChinCactus has a reputation beyond reputeChinCactus has a reputation beyond reputeChinCactus has a reputation beyond reputeChinCactus has a reputation beyond reputeChinCactus has a reputation beyond reputeChinCactus has a reputation beyond reputeChinCactus has a reputation beyond reputeChinCactus has a reputation beyond reputeChinCactus has a reputation beyond reputeChinCactus has a reputation beyond reputeChinCactus has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diogenes415 View Post

Rant off.
Extremely well stated!!!