The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE & BUELL MOTORCYCLE FORUM - GENERAL DISCUSSION > Riding Tips & Safety Advice
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Notices

Riding Tips & Safety Advice Got a question about your riding technique or safety issues?

Active Threads
0 Do you use premium gas in your Sportster?
Last Post: Bone
Posted On: 6 Minutes Ago
Replies: 1,692
Views: 319,875
0 Peanut, 3.3 or 4.5 gas tank ?
Last Post: Diogenes415
Posted On: 11 Minutes Ago
Replies: 217
Views: 57,773
0 '78 clutch disengagement problem.
Last Post: vtwinlynne
Posted On: 23 Minutes Ago
Replies: 4
Views: 78
5 1200 or 883
Last Post: Nibelungen
Posted On: 32 Minutes Ago
Replies: 996
Views: 294,879
0 WTB Power Vision Cable for 09 Sportster
Last Post: shanneba
Posted On: 39 Minutes Ago
Replies: 1
Views: 16
0 19 inch rear wheel question
Last Post: Whylee
Posted On: 44 Minutes Ago
Replies: 0
Views: 1
3 Wtb, Wts, Wtt, Wtg (Ironhead)
Last Post: doodah man
Posted On: 50 Minutes Ago
Replies: 120
Views: 198,656
0 Luggage rack for Tallboy seat equipped sporty
Last Post: FuriousGeorg
Posted On: 59 Minutes Ago
Replies: 3
Views: 156
0 How many Sporty seats ya got for one ass?
Last Post: screndname
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 260
Views: 51,922
0 Official XL Forum Random Image Thread (NO NUDITY!)
Last Post: Graywolf
Replies: 41,624
Views: 6,396,389
0 S&S Cycle Hooligan 2-2 Exhaust
Last Post: tomaso
Replies: 3
Views: 147
0 My Rear Master Cylinder Re-build
Last Post: ParrotHead
Replies: 106
Views: 58,443
0 What did you do for your sporty Today?
Last Post: ParrotHead
Replies: 5,401
Views: 610,733
0 Weekend at Jester's
Last Post: wedge
Replies: 39
Views: 4,238
0 THE Trainspotting Thread
Last Post: Stairman
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 2,105
Views: 234,151
0 Sweetwater BBQ and Campout and Swapmeet with Bands
Last Post: sportsterpaul
Replies: 16
Views: 748
14 How to insert pictures in your posts. May take a while to load for dial-up.
Replies: 93
Views: 38,666
10 My 1982 XLSA Build Thread
Last Post: doodah man
Replies: 5
Views: 116
5 what year were cat. conv's installed?
Last Post: andyb
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Views: 23
0 New England 2018
Last Post: mick42
Replies: 209
Views: 10,423
0 Keith Black 10:1
Last Post: jcasella
Replies: 13
Views: 264
3 post a pic of your AMF sporty
Last Post: khav
Replies: 797
Views: 279,723
0 Shovester Sighting
Last Post: Bwf347
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 123
Views: 11,158
0 ***DK Custom-LIMITED TIME 10% SAVINGS on ALL Riser Extensions***
Last Post: DK Custom
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Views: 54
0 2020 H-D response to the Indian FTR1200?
Last Post: Bwf347
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Replies: 98
Views: 5,939
0 ***DK Custom-Introducing FINNED HANDLEBAR CLAMPS-Save 10%***
Last Post: DK Custom
Views: 49
0 ignition switch?
Replies: 5
Views: 168
0 Small nail in tire?? plug or replace
Last Post: rider61
Posted On: 6 Hours Ago
Replies: 130
Views: 18,994
More...
Members Birthdays
moe (74), Playtoe (63), shanneba, Charlie Allen (59), the cowboy way (59), P-Diddly (56), Utahsporty (55), evo-pete (54), stf420 (53), NevadaRob (51), Punisher (49), Razor_Reznor (44), Paycheck (41), jfs92579 (39)
Sponsored Links

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23rd May 2018
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH 883
Sportster/Buell Year: 2000
ZCarFan has much to be proud ofZCarFan has much to be proud ofZCarFan has much to be proud ofZCarFan has much to be proud ofZCarFan has much to be proud ofZCarFan has much to be proud ofZCarFan has much to be proud ofZCarFan has much to be proud ofZCarFan has much to be proud ofZCarFan has much to be proud ofZCarFan has much to be proud of

I'd type something bu IXL2Relax pretty much wrote what I would.

You might want to get David Hough's books. He covers lane positioning in great detail.
Old 23rd May 2018
foot in mouth member

Sportster/Buell Model: 48
Sportster/Buell Year: 2016
Other Motorcycle Model: Dou-glide
Other Motorcycle Year: 63
jammantoo has a reputation beyond reputejammantoo has a reputation beyond reputejammantoo has a reputation beyond reputejammantoo has a reputation beyond reputejammantoo has a reputation beyond reputejammantoo has a reputation beyond reputejammantoo has a reputation beyond reputejammantoo has a reputation beyond reputejammantoo has a reputation beyond reputejammantoo has a reputation beyond reputejammantoo has a reputation beyond repute

When I was first riding I had very rigid ideas about where to ride in the lanes.

Now where I ride really is dictated by traffic, the situation such as am I approaching a stop light or pulling up behind a car. Is it on the freeway or on city streets, are we in the country or what ever.

there is so much to consider, such as if a car is in the next on your right side a car length in front of you and you are in the left side of the lane, does she adjust her mirrors to be able to see you there or does she adjust her mirrors to see her cars rear end? In other words will she change lanes into you because she can not see you because she does not know how to adjust her mirrors. Had that happen to me just 3 days ago.

I constantly adjust my lane choice to according to the vehicles around me. And even then Someone pulls a bonehead move. last year I pulled up behind a pickup truck at a stop light, I intentionally pulled right in the middle so that he would have to see me in his rear view. So the idiot decides not to turn left but go right and wants to back up. I was on the horn fast and he got out to apologize and said he did not see me. I asked if he looked in his rear view and he said "No I just looked in my side view."
And that people is why I say there are no rigid rules to lane choice, you need to be aware of what is around you at all times and make yourself as visible as possible for that point in time. And even that does not work.,

My advise to new riders is to ride where there is good traction and where you can be seen, and think about that as you ride.
Old 23rd May 2018
foot in mouth member

Sportster/Buell Model: 48
Sportster/Buell Year: 2016
Other Motorcycle Model: Dou-glide
Other Motorcycle Year: 63
jammantoo has a reputation beyond reputejammantoo has a reputation beyond reputejammantoo has a reputation beyond reputejammantoo has a reputation beyond reputejammantoo has a reputation beyond reputejammantoo has a reputation beyond reputejammantoo has a reputation beyond reputejammantoo has a reputation beyond reputejammantoo has a reputation beyond reputejammantoo has a reputation beyond reputejammantoo has a reputation beyond repute
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by robistro View Post
someone put this in my head a while ago and it stuck - position yourself so that you can see and be seen by other drivers
Also, dont assume that every driver uses their mirrors when changing lanes, etc.
great advice, I have been on street bikes since the mid 70s and will say I am always amazed at how much we can get cut off because people do not see us.

I think a bit of good advice I always give is to BUY A LOUD HORN AND LEARN WHERE THE BUTTON IS. Has helped me many times.
Old 23rd May 2018
Subscribing Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: XL 1200 C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
Toejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond repute

I ride in the wheel track next to the centerline and move over for oncoming cars and cars that want to pass. Here in North Dakota, if you ride by the shoulder of the road, you get twice as plastered by BUGS. Same goes for the interstate hi-ways.
Old 23rd May 2018
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2009
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL1200L
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2009
BKB has a reputation beyond reputeBKB has a reputation beyond reputeBKB has a reputation beyond reputeBKB has a reputation beyond reputeBKB has a reputation beyond reputeBKB has a reputation beyond reputeBKB has a reputation beyond reputeBKB has a reputation beyond reputeBKB has a reputation beyond reputeBKB has a reputation beyond reputeBKB has a reputation beyond repute

I also use a headlight modulator. It may be annoying to some, but it wakes the brain dead very well.
Old 23rd May 2018
Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: XLS
Sportster/Buell Year: 1984
Sportster/Buell Model #2: FLHTCUI
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2006
Keep it running has a spectacular aura aboutKeep it running has a spectacular aura aboutKeep it running has a spectacular aura aboutKeep it running has a spectacular aura aboutKeep it running has a spectacular aura aboutKeep it running has a spectacular aura aboutKeep it running has a spectacular aura aboutKeep it running has a spectacular aura aboutKeep it running has a spectacular aura aboutKeep it running has a spectacular aura aboutKeep it running has a spectacular aura about

Thanks for the feedback. I have been riding for a while and been to the riders safety class 3 times. Last time was 1993 or so. I like the right side of the lane for the reasons mentioned above and do move around the lane to attempt to remain seen. Between my buddies comments and y'all's input I think I will attempt to ride in the left of center at least when someone is in front of me.
For what its worth I have recently taken to calling traffic squirrels. You never know what those critters are going to do. So, always try to ride where they can't get me with that sudden lane change.
Ride safe!
Thanks!
Old 23rd May 2018
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster 883►1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 1994
IXL2Relax has disabled reputation

traffic squirrels = squirrelly drivers = idgits

Yep - You never know what drivers are going to do & we don't have the protection of big metal boxes to absorb the impact...

After proper control of your bike, there's nothing more important than a survival attitude when riding - You need to know where every vehicle is around you - front, back & sides - You can't assume any of them are going to do the right thing - You can't assume they even know you are there...

A mistake on their part is just an Oooops to them - but it may send you to the hospital or worse... So, while it's not 'fair', YOU must protect yourself from them at all times...

Whenever you're going to pass, do so with deliberate speed to avoid riding in a blind spot - and if on a four-lane with lots of traffic, hang back until you can safely pass completely, rather than be riding for a long time 'next to' the other vehicle - never ride close behind a tractor-trailer - If a tire tread lets loose or he runs over debri, you're going to get whacked before you see it...

I don't think there is a safe spot from being rear ended in traffic - but for my part, I somtimes weave a bit before stopping (hoping the driver behind notices me if they were distracted) or move just slightly to the center & then back towards the left in order to present a wider view of my bike when I actually stop... I also try to leave some room ahead so should someone touch me, I have enough room not to be up against the front guys bumper, too...

When no one is behind you when you stop, you should be watching your mirrors to monitor anyone eventually coming up from behind - tap your brake a couple times so they notice you - I usually stop in the left-side of the lane - I also keep the bike in gear to be able to jump out of the way if I see it coming...

Personally, if I had to ride in traffic all the time, I simply would not ride my motorcycle (one of the reasons I didn't own one when I lived in the Balt/Wash area)... As my boardname indicates, riding for me is to relax and I keep to the secondary roads to minimize the stress level of heightened survival mode required in heavy traffic...

But even in the countryside, real squirrels can pose enough danger, especially on curves to keep you on your toes - not to mention ground hogs, possums & deer...

Ride Safe....

IXL _ ___ _____ _______ >>>> My Build & Ride Reports Are Here <<<<
2 Relax
FREE Organized Tech Info - Check Out The XLForum Sportsterpedia

Last edited by IXL2Relax; 5th June 2018 at 23:26..
Sponsored Links
Old 24th May 2018
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: roadster XLS
Sportster/Buell Year: 1983
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 1200c
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1998
Other Motorcycle Model: Can Am Spyder RT-S
Other Motorcycle Year: 2012
Reverend G has a spectacular aura aboutReverend G has a spectacular aura aboutReverend G has a spectacular aura aboutReverend G has a spectacular aura aboutReverend G has a spectacular aura aboutReverend G has a spectacular aura aboutReverend G has a spectacular aura aboutReverend G has a spectacular aura aboutReverend G has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParrotHead View Post
I mainly ride to the left side with a few exceptions. When in the far left lane of a multi lane road/highway I ride to the right. The theory is cars are less likely to join you in your lane. However, I will shift positions as needed to be seen better or to move away from a vehicle that is moving erratically.

That's where all the oil is!
Quote:
Originally Posted by denguy View Post
On the 2 lane highway I have been surprised by fellow bikers tucked in tight to the rear of a car coming towards me [tailgating] and over to their right. I think that if you hang back 4 or 5 car lengths other drivers think you are not a competent rider and don't know what you are doing and give you a wide berth, which is good for you. Or maybe not.
When I am in my car I always give bikes a wide berth, just because. I know I don’t appreciate drivers that want to crawl up my backside, I go out of my way not to create a nervous situation for someone riding.
Old 24th May 2018
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster XL1200s
Sportster/Buell Year: 1999
Sprtstr1200s has a reputation beyond reputeSprtstr1200s has a reputation beyond reputeSprtstr1200s has a reputation beyond reputeSprtstr1200s has a reputation beyond reputeSprtstr1200s has a reputation beyond reputeSprtstr1200s has a reputation beyond reputeSprtstr1200s has a reputation beyond reputeSprtstr1200s has a reputation beyond reputeSprtstr1200s has a reputation beyond reputeSprtstr1200s has a reputation beyond reputeSprtstr1200s has a reputation beyond repute

I prefer right of center. When coming to stop light, left directly in line with driver's side view mirror. I don't like being passed on the right, makes me uncomfortable.
Old 25th May 2018
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: Xl1200S
Sportster/Buell Year: 98
Other Motorcycle Model: Kawasaki Vulcan 500
Other Motorcycle Year: 95
Hippysmack has a reputation beyond reputeHippysmack has a reputation beyond reputeHippysmack has a reputation beyond reputeHippysmack has a reputation beyond reputeHippysmack has a reputation beyond reputeHippysmack has a reputation beyond reputeHippysmack has a reputation beyond reputeHippysmack has a reputation beyond reputeHippysmack has a reputation beyond reputeHippysmack has a reputation beyond reputeHippysmack has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend G View Post
When I am in my car I always give bikes a wide berth, just because. I know I don’t appreciate drivers that want to crawl up my backside, I go out of my way not to create a nervous situation for someone riding.
Same here. I sometimes end up giving too much room to the rider in front of me and then another cager slips between us so he can get right on the riders ass. Then I feel guilty.

I once saw a BT go down in front of me while coming to a slow stop. Now he shouldn't have been sporting shorts and penny loafer type shoes, but I helped him up anyways. He veered off to the nearest Target for burn cream afterwards.

Then, upon a green light, everyone took off fast except a Honda rider on the left of me who just fell over. Good thing nobody was behind him 'following the crowd'.

I pulled into a gas station once at turtle speed in the rain, hit a patch of oil, down I went. Glad nobody was on my tail that day.

You never know.

The only one elite in my life was a beautiful Australian Shepherd and I shot him for biting me.