The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE FORUM > Sportster Motorcycle Styles > Chopper & Bobber Talk
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Chopper & Bobber Talk Talk about your Sportster motorcycle chopper or bobber!!.

Active Threads
0 Repairing Cylinder Studs/Cases
Last Post: Blue Scoot
Posted On: 16 Minutes Ago
Replies: 38
Views: 730
0 Getting Hammered
Last Post: rocketmangb
Posted On: 48 Minutes Ago
Replies: 15
Views: 261
0 Leineweber camshaft
Last Post: chevelle
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 4
Views: 121
0 question for our machinists
Last Post: JonesL
Replies: 21
Views: 948
0 Official XL Forum Random Image Thread (NO NUDITY!)
Last Post: Graywolf
Replies: 45,710
Views: 7,223,953
0 More oil return questions
Last Post: Scott
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 1
Views: 46
0 WTB: Sportster Shift Lever
Last Post: ferretface
Replies: 0
Views: 21
0 Sportster weak lifter - what does it sound like?
Last Post: tussuck
Replies: 8
Views: 246
0 Keep & Kill
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 14,638
Views: 818,401
0 Mid or forward controls.
Last Post: Tomcatt
Replies: 162
Views: 42,895
0 2015 sportster charging
Last Post: sportsterpaul
Replies: 8
Views: 252
0 XL IR EFI to those that asked
Last Post: Scott
Replies: 48
Views: 3,528
0 Cheap 7200B bearing = NO!
Last Post: Tomcatt
Replies: 33
Views: 2,160
0 Crusty's Travels
Last Post: Crusty
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Replies: 2,659
Views: 359,738
0 Rewire with Thunderheat. Getting horn, back brake and back light, nothing else
Last Post: Roane
Replies: 35
Views: 1,964
0 Sportster Crankcase Pressure / Engine Breathing / Wetsumping and Mods
Last Post: Hippysmack
Replies: 903
Views: 41,723
7 Ironhead yes or no
Last Post: jkinkade
Replies: 31
Views: 1,269
0 New Member and a question
Last Post: Iron Mike
Posted On: 6 Hours Ago
Replies: 19
Views: 691
0 Roads I'd like to ride.
Posted On: 6 Hours Ago
Replies: 2,626
Views: 225,903
0 piston rings
Last Post: Sprtstr1200s
Posted On: 7 Hours Ago
Replies: 2
Views: 83
0 Hybrid ceramic wheel bearings
Last Post: NGOT8R
Posted On: 8 Hours Ago
Views: 259
0 Highest mileage EVO you'd buy.
Last Post: 60Gunner
Posted On: 8 Hours Ago
Replies: 9
Views: 368
0 Hottie of the day, no nudity.
Last Post: Stairman
Posted On: 10 Hours Ago
Replies: 15,381
Views: 1,477,687
0 New member softail rim laced to sportster hub
Last Post: Folkie
Posted On: 10 Hours Ago
Replies: 6
Views: 105
0 Cold weather pants:
Last Post: RDHenley
Posted On: 11 Hours Ago
Replies: 10
Views: 355
0 Electrical question
Views: 218
2 Humble pie
Last Post: Sprtstr1200s
Replies: 60
Views: 4,776
0 Range With Carby 4.5 Gal Tank
Replies: 107
Views: 49,211
0 oil return for stroker
Last Post: RicThompson
Posted On: 12 Hours Ago
Replies: 10
Views: 353
More...
Members Birthdays
Tags
bobber, hardtail, ironhead, springer

Sponsored Links

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21st June 2011
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH Ironhead
Sportster/Buell Year: 1972
anarkytats will become famous soon enoughanarkytats will become famous soon enoughanarkytats will become famous soon enoughanarkytats will become famous soon enoughanarkytats will become famous soon enoughanarkytats will become famous soon enoughanarkytats will become famous soon enoughanarkytats will become famous soon enough
Default Questions on Springer front end for my Bobber Build.

Ok so i am building a 1972 Ironhead sporty bobber and i will have my Weld on Hardtail section in next week. I know i am wanting to go with a Springer front end. I am wondering if anyone has any information on pros/cons to Wide/Narrow springers and what works best and handles best. I just got my motor back and im ready to get this build finished up and work on my next project. Also what would be the best way to figure up the best configuration and set up on the over/under on the springer as well. Thanks for any and all information.
Old 21st June 2011
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1000
Sportster/Buell Year: 1983
Other Motorcycle Model: Custom Springer
Other Motorcycle Year: 2007
doc_shadow is an unknown quantity at this point

I just built a custom springer this spring and I used a DNA wideglide springer. I just bought am 83' IronHead and I plan to put a springer on that as well. The ride is a little different but after a few rides you'll be used to it. I used a 2 under on the bike I finished. My preference is a low stance and my 83' I feel is way too tall. Im planning on a 2 under with a 21" front wheel. Ill be going with another DNA springer and a wideglide front wheel. My 83' front end is almost 26" from bottom of neck to center of axle. So the DNA I get will be 22" which will be 4 under stock of my Ironhead. DNA considers 24" to be a stock Harley size.
Chicago
Old 14th September 2011
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: xlh
Sportster/Buell Year: 78
Sportster/Buell Model #2: s3t
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1997
quball8 is an unknown quantity at this point

What about the 1'' bearing issue what bearing to run in the old frames? For the trees I would like to run a springer too.
Old 14th September 2011
Greasemonkey

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1972
Other Motorcycle Model: FLSTC
Other Motorcycle Year: 2000
Happy Bob is an unknown quantity at this point

You can switch your 7/8" ball bearing neck cups to 1" cups with Timkin style bearings.

http://www.jpcycles.com/product/230-694
Old 14th September 2011
Banned

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200N
Sportster/Buell Year: 08
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL 1000
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1979
Krypto is a splendid one to beholdKrypto is a splendid one to beholdKrypto is a splendid one to beholdKrypto is a splendid one to beholdKrypto is a splendid one to beholdKrypto is a splendid one to beholdKrypto is a splendid one to beholdKrypto is a splendid one to beholdKrypto is a splendid one to beholdKrypto is a splendid one to beholdKrypto is a splendid one to behold

I was pretty Ignorant when it came to putting the DNA on my 08, just liked the look. Found DNA online and talked to their tech & he just suggested a 2" under for my application, 2 weeks later I had a nightmare with no turning radius due to the lower supports bangin into my frame. Needless to say with a little creative welding we got it workin. I love the feel, it's rough & noisy, I won't attempt sport bike maneuvers, but I love the feel! Kinda like the differences between my 68 Firebird & my Cayman, I love them both for what they are. I was never told anything about a wide or narrow though, when I look on DNA site, I still see no option of wide or narrow, so I couldn't tell you which one I got . I am about to hardtail a 79, & I want to put a DNA on it too, so I guess that I'm curious too, where can I find the differences in DNA catalogue?
Old 15th September 2011
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: 883 w 1200 kit
Sportster/Buell Year: 2000
Other Motorcycle Model: BSA A65L Rigid
Other Motorcycle Year: 66
superflysnow will become famous soon enoughsuperflysnow will become famous soon enoughsuperflysnow will become famous soon enoughsuperflysnow will become famous soon enoughsuperflysnow will become famous soon enoughsuperflysnow will become famous soon enoughsuperflysnow will become famous soon enough

Paugcho and DNA Both make the Identical springer and sell it under different names. The DNA is the Wide glide and The Paugcho has a choice of wide or narrow. (the last time I checked) The Pro is that the DNA cost is about half of the Paugcho probably due to the same plans being built in 2 different places but that is nothing more than speculation... With that said, I built a 66 BSA with a -2" springer and 21" front. I loved it. The quality of the DNA was fine (regardless of what haters will say) and the ride was fine. They are bouncy and a little noisy but they are supposed to be. I have seen all three in person, DNA wide Paugcho wide and narrow. The Narrow Paugchos are sick! I have no idea where to source them or what they cost, but I'm sure they are at least twice what a new DNA is.... IMHO if you spend over $600 its worth a repop or OG HD straightleg as they look sooooo much better than the others unless you are building a full 70s chop, then the Narrow Paugcho makes sense. If you are on a budget, like the rest of us, the DNA is a lot of "bang for the buck"
Old 15th September 2011
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: 883 w 1200 kit
Sportster/Buell Year: 2000
Other Motorcycle Model: BSA A65L Rigid
Other Motorcycle Year: 66
superflysnow will become famous soon enoughsuperflysnow will become famous soon enoughsuperflysnow will become famous soon enoughsuperflysnow will become famous soon enoughsuperflysnow will become famous soon enoughsuperflysnow will become famous soon enoughsuperflysnow will become famous soon enough

btw, another thing to consider... with the DNA as pictured on the nightster above, the shortest they go is -2". If you look closely you can see the chrome rockers... If you flip the rockers, they will run -4".... the -4" dna is the formula used for all of "supercroutons" high end Triumphs being built these days

http://www.jockeyjournal.com/forum/s...d.php?p=590102
Old 28th September 2011
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: Ironhead Sportster
Sportster/Buell Year: 1973
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Ironhead
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1974
Other Motorcycle Model: 1980
Other Motorcycle Year: 2004
Leftystatoo is an unknown quantity at this point

I put a DNA springer on my 73 ironhead and love it. I had to take .022 out of the neck cups and turn the shoulder down on the stem bolt with it cause of the earlier year. Their may be different options out there just the way I went with it . With a 21" front and 16" rear on my Paucho Rigid I went with a 2 under....
Old 28th October 2011
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: ironhead 1000
Sportster/Buell Year: 1979
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 2001 sportster 883
pilgrim356 is on a distinguished roadpilgrim356 is on a distinguished roadpilgrim356 is on a distinguished roadpilgrim356 is on a distinguished road

Gone 2 under DNA chrome springer on my 1979 ironhead had to cut the tabs off the frame for the steering and relocate then another advantage is that DNA now do an all in one disc brake kit thats just bolt on and go as always lovely engineered bit of kit not on the road yet as its the winter build but will get there in the end Ride Safe Pilgrim
Sponsored Links
Old 29th October 2011
Chief Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883
Sportster/Buell Year: 1992
bobscogin is a name known to allbobscogin is a name known to allbobscogin is a name known to allbobscogin is a name known to allbobscogin is a name known to allbobscogin is a name known to allbobscogin is a name known to allbobscogin is a name known to allbobscogin is a name known to allbobscogin is a name known to allbobscogin is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by anarkytats View Post
Ok so i am building a 1972 Ironhead sporty bobber and i will have my Weld on Hardtail section in next week. I know i am wanting to go with a Springer front end. I am wondering if anyone has any information on pros/cons to Wide/Narrow springers and what works best and handles best
It's more about personal taste than going by some "formula" to determine what looks best. My opinion would be that Sportsters, since they're skinnier than Big Twins, look better with narrow springers. Length is going to depend on how you want it to sit --level, or slightly up in the front. Again, it's all in what you like. That said, I'm going to go off topic a little. Since you're doing a weld on hardtail, you'll be removing the seat post/backbone casting from your frame. If yours is in good condition, and you would like to sell it, let me know. I need one to repair a a damaged frame Thanks.

Bob