The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE FORUM > Sportster Motorcycle Electrical > Sportster Motorcycle Electrical and Ignition
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Active Threads
0 Sportster Crankcase Pressure / Engine Breathing / Wetsumping and Mods
Last Post: Hippysmack
Posted On: 2 Minutes Ago
Replies: 880
Views: 39,466
0 Official XL Forum Random Image Thread (NO NUDITY!)
Last Post: Graywolf
Posted On: 7 Minutes Ago
Replies: 45,678
Views: 7,219,325
0 Cheap 7200B bearing = NO!
Last Post: Nibelungen
Posted On: 9 Minutes Ago
Replies: 18
Views: 1,339
0 Keep & Kill
Posted On: 10 Minutes Ago
Replies: 14,589
Views: 814,777
0 Hottie of the day, no nudity.
Posted On: 10 Minutes Ago
Replies: 15,317
Views: 1,471,454
0 Rewire with Thunderheat. Getting horn, back brake and back light, nothing else
Last Post: IXL2Relax
Posted On: 15 Minutes Ago
Replies: 27
Views: 1,350
0 Wanna build a cheap big bore stroker ?
Last Post: GA_Ironhead
Posted On: 30 Minutes Ago
Replies: 29
Views: 963
5 Crankcase Oil Drain Plug
Last Post: Highly-Dangerous
Posted On: 43 Minutes Ago
Replies: 6
Views: 65
0 1982 XLH 1000 With 23 Original Miles
Last Post: rocketnorton
Posted On: 48 Minutes Ago
Replies: 5
Views: 198
0 New 88 sportster project
Last Post: rokytnji
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 13
Views: 527
0 Very Loud Backfiring (among other things)
Last Post: GA_Ironhead
Replies: 10
Views: 235
0 never mind
Last Post: Hippysmack
Replies: 70
Views: 3,344
0 SBS Project - Sportster Chop w/ Lots of Photo's
Last Post: DK Custom
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 297
Views: 83,323
0 Winter riding clothes
Last Post: 45Brit
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 32
Views: 2,856
0 Leakdown test
Last Post: 60Gunner
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 43
Views: 1,119
0 Iree's late night cafe
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 1,366
Views: 173,863
0 You asked for it! "The Tess' Coffee Thread"
Last Post: Flame__
Replies: 10,948
Views: 927,166
0 My new lift
Replies: 11
Views: 808
0 Mounting headsets to helmets
Last Post: Ireeman
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Replies: 11
Views: 338
0 Speedo for E-Z Bob/FatbobTank
Last Post: NLXL
Replies: 4
Views: 130
5 73 Timing w/Strobe & 77 air/fuel screw
Last Post: doodah man
Replies: 15
Views: 537
0 Pre-rubber stock exhaust to '08 heads and cylinders
Last Post: aswracing
Posted On: 6 Hours Ago
Replies: 6
Views: 143
0 Hydraulic Lift For XL
Last Post: rejeanprimeau
Posted On: 7 Hours Ago
Replies: 1
Views: 92
0 Thanks For The Add / In Michigan
Last Post: George Greer
Posted On: 7 Hours Ago
Replies: 13
Views: 610
0 Crusty's Travels
Last Post: Crusty
Posted On: 8 Hours Ago
Replies: 2,649
Views: 358,199
0 Need help with side valve hole rim and tube size . .
Last Post: PetesPonies
Posted On: 14 Hours Ago
Replies: 2
Views: 166
0 Dyno run XLH 1978
Last Post: Ferrous Head
Replies: 33
Views: 1,658
0 Interview of My Expieriences Riding in the Iron Butt Rally
Last Post: ParrotHead
Replies: 4
Views: 129
7 Ironhead yes or no
Last Post: ferretface
Replies: 27
Views: 1,023
0 1999 Sportster 883XLH
Last Post: IXL2Relax
Posted On: 15 Hours Ago
Replies: 3
Views: 163
More...
Members Birthdays
ebikerman (83), nalakk (78), blkjak (76), Dave.N (65), cousincletus (59), stretch7 (57), jockeyshift (55), juice900 (41), sportsterwheelies (39), live_loud (37)
Tags
2000, dies, electrical, runs, sportster

Sponsored Links

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25th October 2019
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2000
Other Motorcycle Model: Harley Softail Custom
Other Motorcycle Year: 1996
DJBiker is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 2000 Sportster XL883C Starts and then dies

I have been searching this and other boards for over a week and still no answer. I traded a bike for this Sporty and at that time it would not run, had no spark at all. In short, new coil and new ECM and a few other minor repairs, changed bars and internally wired them. Everything beautiful, starts and runs great. Been riding for about a month with no issues of any kind.

Rode last Saturday on a toy run, no issues, flawless ride. Rode Sunday, Monday everything great. Started the bike on Tuesday, rode 5 miles and while stopped at a short red light, went to turn left and bike died. Left it for about 5 minutes, and started right back up no issues. Rode about 500 feet and it died again. 5 more times to make a mile to a place to leave it while I go get the trailer.

Ok, symptoms are that when the key is turned on, the bike starts and runs flawlessly for about 15-30 seconds and then dies, just like I hit the kill switch. Unless I cycle the ignition key, it will not start. It will turn over nice and strong but no fire at all. Turn the key off and then back on, and Voila' starts and runs well, for 15-20 seconds and then dies.

Carbs are clean, same thing happens with fuel cap off. Carbs and fuel is not the issue, it is electrical somewhere. I have installed a new ignition module and got the timing right, it runs strong and clean before this started, but now it won't run long.

Checked the bank sensor and it will rattle so it appears that it is working unless there is an internal problem. The TSM was not secured to the fender as it should have been, so I have secured that and no change. Wiggled the ignition key switch in and out of the bike and no change.

I love this bike, but I am getting above my head with the electrical issue and can't afford to just throw parts at it, however I have ordered a new bank sensor, and circuit breaker and these should be here soon, but I doubt these are the issue.

Went out today to a cold bike, pulled the choke and hit the starter and Vroom it starts perfectly, wait 30 seconds and it dies. Engine was still very cold so it's not a heat issue as I could lay my hands on the engine and it was very cool. Started again, let it idle without touching anything and it dies again after about 20 seconds.

It does not sputter or spit, it acts like I turned off the key or hit the kill switch, it just stops running. Will not start again unless I cycle the key off and then on again and then it starts on the first hit.

ANY IDEAS????
Old 25th October 2019
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200S
Sportster/Buell Year: 2002
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLH883
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2003
sportsterdoc has a reputation beyond reputesportsterdoc has a reputation beyond reputesportsterdoc has a reputation beyond reputesportsterdoc has a reputation beyond reputesportsterdoc has a reputation beyond reputesportsterdoc has a reputation beyond reputesportsterdoc has a reputation beyond reputesportsterdoc has a reputation beyond reputesportsterdoc has a reputation beyond reputesportsterdoc has a reputation beyond reputesportsterdoc has a reputation beyond repute

Nose cone ignition module replaced (no ECM until 2007 for EFI)?

What is condition of vacuum line to vacuum operated petcock?

Suggest bypassing BAS and if still a problem, follow basic checks in post one of this thread...follow the voltage.

http://xlforum.net/forums/showthread...986193&page=12

From the above link:

Bаnk Αngle Sеnsor (BAS) Bypass, prior to ICM, ECM models
The BAS (under the “ignіtion” triangle cover) has three wires and receives power from the gray wire (from the ignіtion fuse) which also powers the “engine stop/run switch”. If removing the sensor, that 12 VDC wire will need to be capped. Connecting the light green/gray wire (from the mοdule) to ground, via the black wire, will provide run mode.

TSM only used for turn signals for your year.
Old 25th October 2019
Biker

Does anyone have a pic that shows the connector and the wire color for each hole? Mine is covered and I really do not want to start cutting. It I had a pic of the connector and corresponding wire colors, I could make a jumper to temporarily make the connections and see if this works before replacing the BAS or eliminating it.
Old 25th October 2019
Artist, rider, wrencher

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200 (Bruiser)
Sportster/Buell Year: 1989
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 883 (Fiona)
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1988
Other Motorcycle Model: FLHTC (Ruby Lee)
Other Motorcycle Year: 2000
Flame__ has a reputation beyond reputeFlame__ has a reputation beyond reputeFlame__ has a reputation beyond reputeFlame__ has a reputation beyond reputeFlame__ has a reputation beyond reputeFlame__ has a reputation beyond reputeFlame__ has a reputation beyond reputeFlame__ has a reputation beyond reputeFlame__ has a reputation beyond reputeFlame__ has a reputation beyond reputeFlame__ has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJBiker View Post
Does anyone have a pic that shows the connector and the wire color for each hole? Mine is covered and I really do not want to start cutting. It I had a pic of the connector and corresponding wire colors, I could make a jumper to temporarily make the connections and see if this works before replacing the BAS or eliminating it.
I think I unplugged mine and just installed a simple jumper wire in the BAS plug. As a matter of fact, I sold my bike before I could remember to plug it back in. I hope that jumper wire doesn't fall out on the new owner. That'll screw with him. Ummm, your bike isn't red, is it?

Gamertag, PS4: Bikerdude__
Old 25th October 2019
Biker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flame__ View Post
I think I unplugged mine and just installed a simple jumper wire in the BAS plug. As a matter of fact, I sold my bike before I could remember to plug it back in. I hope that jumper wire doesn't fall out on the new owner. That'll screw with him. Ummm, your bike isn't red, is it?
Nope not red, lol. That is what I want to do, just not sure if the jumper needs to go right to center, left to center, or right to left.
Old 25th October 2019

sportsterdoc has a reputation beyond reputesportsterdoc has a reputation beyond reputesportsterdoc has a reputation beyond reputesportsterdoc has a reputation beyond reputesportsterdoc has a reputation beyond reputesportsterdoc has a reputation beyond reputesportsterdoc has a reputation beyond reputesportsterdoc has a reputation beyond reputesportsterdoc has a reputation beyond reputesportsterdoc has a reputation beyond reputesportsterdoc has a reputation beyond repute

Position A light green/gray from ignition module (link auto generated by forum is NOT applicable)
Position B is black to ground (middle)
Position C is gray ignition power (link auto generated by forum is NOT applicable)

Jumper A to B

C to B will blow ignition fuse

http://xlforum.net/photopost/data/71...ed_circuit.jpg
Old 25th October 2019

If BAS is not issue, possibilities include:
Ignition switch (link auto generated by forum NOT applicable)
Fuse clips
Wiring to/from stop/run switch
Stop/run switch
Wire to coils
Wiring to ignition module
Old 25th October 2019
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1460C
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL1200R
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2006
Other Motorcycle Model: XL1200R
Other Motorcycle Year: 2004
sportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond repute

I think “Sportsterdoc” has you headed in the right direction. I will add that my 2000”C” gave me fits for a bit as the low voltage wires, pink and white if memory serves me right, that drop down off the backbone of the frame to the coil were taunt. Just a thought, so I pulled some slack out of that harness added a couple of “ esses “ into them for some flexibility and they haven’t been a problem the last 15 years. Just something small that can be easily checked. Also, curious about the vacuum line off the petcock and carb as previously mentioned. Good luck.
I.B.A.#26543, Growing old-Mandatory/ Growing up-optional. Men do not quit playing because they get old, they get old because they stop playing!

The XL Forum Sportsterpedia:
http://sportsterpedia.com/doku.php/start
Old 27th October 2019
Biker

Ok, I think this is fixed, though with the weather, I will have to wait til tomorrow to be sure. I made a jumper for the BAS and the bike started and ran fine for several minutes. So, I think problem solved. I made the 2 hour drive to Boswell's Harley in Nashville TN, Music City USA and picked up the only BAS in the STATE, came home, installed it and the bike started and ran for several minutes til it was warm and I shut it down, it never even stumbled. I will know tomorrow when I can get it out, it has stormed all day today.

A special thanks to everyone that commented, your help has been invaluable! Thanks!!
Sponsored Links
Old 27th October 2019

Hope that is it.
More reliable to bypass it.
I laid down a new 2003 XLH 883 on a fire road and the engine kept running until I hit the stop/run switch.