The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE FORUM > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Active Threads
4 Oil Filter
Last Post: Tucsonmax1
Posted On: 2 Minutes Ago
Replies: 20
Views: 251
0 Sportster Crankcase Pressure / Engine Breathing / Wetsumping and Mods
Last Post: Hippysmack
Posted On: 17 Minutes Ago
Replies: 115
Views: 3,678
7 Oldest Motorcycle You've Owned
Last Post: farmerbill5
Posted On: 21 Minutes Ago
Replies: 67
Views: 3,130
0 Hey, new guy from Detroit
Last Post: Folkie
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 14
Views: 372
0 Hot Rods, Rat Rods, and Customs.
Last Post: Stairman
Replies: 3,529
Views: 417,002
0 Hottie of the day, no nudity.
Replies: 12,317
Views: 1,122,107
0 Patriot Defender whats the next best exhaust?
Last Post: hexnut
Replies: 177
Views: 32,952
0 Morris mag wheel question
Last Post: ryder rick
Replies: 11
Views: 2,585
0 28 years later..
Last Post: ryder rick
Replies: 41
Views: 1,785
0 Crank Assembly problem or Cams Knocking????
Replies: 20
Views: 574
0 Fuel pump replacement
Last Post: nativebroncofan
Replies: 9
Views: 42
0 Quick Question (Tach Wiring)
Last Post: SHAKY DAVE
Replies: 5
Views: 216
0 Show your favorite pic of your bike. just one
Last Post: Lone Rider
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 4,724
Views: 1,801,898
0 Turn signals and switch required 1972 xlch
Last Post: Lone Rider
Views: 203
0 Longtime XL owner, 1st time forum joiner
Replies: 4
Views: 38
0 How to eliminate TSM on 2000
Last Post: steveolds
Views: 170
0 Clutch issues
Last Post: bassgrinder
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 12
Views: 299
0 cscycle service Mt. Victory , Ohio
Last Post: Larry May
Replies: 0
Views: 29
0 What did you do for your sporty Today?
Last Post: boomerguy
Replies: 6,143
Views: 780,953
0 oil filter choices
Last Post: boomerguy
Replies: 14
Views: 239
0 Primary will not seal
Last Post: dodgetrucken
Replies: 16
Views: 343
0 Upcoming 1275 hammer upgrade carb choices
Last Post: 60Gunner
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Views: 79
0 Oil cap problems - Bikers Choice 02-073
Last Post: dieselvette
Replies: 21
Views: 781
0 Hello with new to me 60’ xlch
Replies: 12
Views: 139
0 EFI hose clamps
Last Post: NGOT8R
Replies: 18
Views: 591
0 New member 76 sportster
Last Post: jaa55
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Replies: 64
Views: 6,079
7 Hy from Austria
Last Post: heyshott 81
Replies: 11
Views: 115
0 Leaking Head Gasket, Loose head bolts
Last Post: NGOT8R
Views: 121
0 Sportster. Xlh model. 1982
Last Post: heyshott 81
Views: 159
0 Front end swap
Last Post: stalkie
Replies: 15
Views: 673
More...
Members Birthdays
prbetts (72), 1988XL (68), jbcant (67), gearman (64), rejeanprimeau, Hdrider8831200 (58), AOW (51), adair727, Mechano (47), 64physhy, Buckshot (45)
Sponsored Links

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 3 Weeks Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: xl1200c
Sportster/Buell Year: 2003
boomerguy has a reputation beyond reputeboomerguy has a reputation beyond reputeboomerguy has a reputation beyond reputeboomerguy has a reputation beyond reputeboomerguy has a reputation beyond reputeboomerguy has a reputation beyond reputeboomerguy has a reputation beyond reputeboomerguy has a reputation beyond reputeboomerguy has a reputation beyond reputeboomerguy has a reputation beyond reputeboomerguy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA_Ironhead View Post
Warranty period too, I believe. Detent vs none, but that could have changed...
Golan sent several emails and links to me answering all of my questions. Yes on the lifetime warranty and yes it can be rebuilt at home with minimal tools. Pingel requires it to be sent to them so they can rebuild it with a charge. Also, Golan has the detents. Golan is the better choice for me.

In fairness to Pingel, they did finally answer me with some links.
Old 3 Weeks Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

boomerguy has a reputation beyond reputeboomerguy has a reputation beyond reputeboomerguy has a reputation beyond reputeboomerguy has a reputation beyond reputeboomerguy has a reputation beyond reputeboomerguy has a reputation beyond reputeboomerguy has a reputation beyond reputeboomerguy has a reputation beyond reputeboomerguy has a reputation beyond reputeboomerguy has a reputation beyond reputeboomerguy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA_Ironhead View Post
Thanks! Golan just sent me the same links with a description for the different filter/reserve tubes. Excellent response.
Old 3 Weeks Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

I shopped around and found the Golan for about $40 less than the Pingel on both, Amazon and eBay with free shipping and no tax. Yes, I ordered it and it will soon replace my 14 year old stock petcock.
Old 3 Weeks Ago
Air-Cooled Forever

Sportster/Buell Model: XL 1200 C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
Sportster/Buell Model #2: (Prev.Own)XLH Milw.Spec.
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1981
Toejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond repute

When I purchased factory replacement petcock and filter from the dealership, it cost less than $40. That was in 2016.
Old 3 Weeks Ago
Chief Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: 1965 xlch
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 1991 Honda XR600
Other Motorcycle Model: 1986 suzuki gsxr 750.
davixlrtt has much to be proud ofdavixlrtt has much to be proud ofdavixlrtt has much to be proud ofdavixlrtt has much to be proud ofdavixlrtt has much to be proud ofdavixlrtt has much to be proud ofdavixlrtt has much to be proud ofdavixlrtt has much to be proud ofdavixlrtt has much to be proud ofdavixlrtt has much to be proud ofdavixlrtt has much to be proud of

The new Pingle I fitted messed around for a few days turning off along the road but sorted itself out.
........Davi.
Old 3 Weeks Ago
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1962
GA_Ironhead has much to be proud ofGA_Ironhead has much to be proud ofGA_Ironhead has much to be proud ofGA_Ironhead has much to be proud ofGA_Ironhead has much to be proud ofGA_Ironhead has much to be proud ofGA_Ironhead has much to be proud ofGA_Ironhead has much to be proud ofGA_Ironhead has much to be proud ofGA_Ironhead has much to be proud ofGA_Ironhead has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomerguy View Post
Thanks! Golan just sent me the same links with a description for the different filter/reserve tubes. Excellent response.

Can you post what Golan told you? I'm curious how the 2 reserves differ, other than one leaves a larger reserve volume than the other.
Old 3 Weeks Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

First, I will provide the link which shows the two sizes and the explanation of the differences. My 2005 XL883 has the 3.3 gallon tank and I explained that I usually start looking for a gas station after my odometer shows 100 miles and don't need a bigger reserve.

https://golanproducts.com/product-ca...ome-dnwd-22mm/

Here is the explanation paraphrased:

You need P/N 76-312D-CS.

The extra reserve (CL) is for small gas tanks which hold less fuel and need an early warning, if you had no problems with the original petcock then you can get the standard size (CS) which will give you about one gallon of reserve.

To plug the vent hose you can use a small bolt or anything else, you will not need the vent hose with our petcock.

Thank you for the interest in our products, I know you will love it.

Pingel may get you a plug, but he will not give you better flow then our Golan petcock.

Pingel will not provide you with detents like on our Golan petcock.

If you need repairs, you will need to send his petcock to him and he will charge you. You can rebuild our Golan petcock at home with minimal tools, and we will give a lifetime warranty.

Ilan Golan

Also, I found a packet of Dorman vacuum caps at the local auto parts store for $4.00 which had the perfect size. I've already installed it and I'm waiting for the Golan petcock. By the way, in the parts numbers, the CS apparently stands for "short" and the CL stands for "long".
Sponsored Links
Old 3 Weeks Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XLX
Sportster/Buell Year: 83
Sportster/Buell Year #2: xlh
SHAKY DAVE is a name known to allSHAKY DAVE is a name known to allSHAKY DAVE is a name known to allSHAKY DAVE is a name known to allSHAKY DAVE is a name known to allSHAKY DAVE is a name known to allSHAKY DAVE is a name known to allSHAKY DAVE is a name known to allSHAKY DAVE is a name known to allSHAKY DAVE is a name known to allSHAKY DAVE is a name known to all

pingel.you'll like it
Old 1 Week Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2004
Calcustom has a brilliant futureCalcustom has a brilliant futureCalcustom has a brilliant futureCalcustom has a brilliant futureCalcustom has a brilliant futureCalcustom has a brilliant futureCalcustom has a brilliant futureCalcustom has a brilliant futureCalcustom has a brilliant futureCalcustom has a brilliant futureCalcustom has a brilliant future

Thanks to everyone for their input on this ongoing thread.
Made the decision easy
I just pulled the trigger on the Golan CS.

Old 1 Week Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Calcustom -
You'll love it! I installed mine last week, went for a few short rides and then today I went for a 200-mile ride with my buddy and his Sportster. He is ordering his tonight Golan tonight. He figures it's time because his bike is 15 years old and has 30K miles on it.

Note that the "downspout" is short and there wasn't room for me to use an Oetiker clamp tool and clamp like the one I took off. So I used a fuel injector hose clamp because it is a perfect circle without the lump in it like the worm-gear screw clamp. Very easy to install. Also, you can find a "variety pack" of vacuum caps by Dorman in any auto parts store for about $4.00.

If you want details of how I installed mine with all the steps and tools needed, send me a private message.