The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE FORUM > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Rubber Mount Sportster Motorcycle Talk (2004-2006)
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Notices

Rubber Mount Sportster Motorcycle Talk (2004-2006) This area is to discuss issues, problems and anything else unique to the 2004 and above Sportster motorcycles

Active Threads
0 video & pics
Last Post: Tim The Grim
Posted On: 1 Minute Ago
Replies: 813
Views: 85,412
0 Seeking info on IH drag bike
Last Post: Tim The Grim
Posted On: 6 Minutes Ago
Replies: 23
Views: 1,491
0 carb needle replacement procedure
Last Post: Fivecats
Posted On: 19 Minutes Ago
Replies: 1
Views: 18
0 Keep & Kill
Last Post: Crusty
Posted On: 32 Minutes Ago
Replies: 27,033
Views: 1,565,352
4 Sportster ignition/vacuum/carb/fuel/electrical issues?
Last Post: Iron Mike
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 4
Views: 36
0 What did you do for your sporty Today?
Last Post: sportsterpaul
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 7,889
Views: 1,372,078
0 Your Riding Thoughts & Attitudes
Replies: 26
Views: 1,744
0 Official XL Forum Random Image Thread (NO NUDITY!)
Last Post: Graywolf
Replies: 53,092
Views: 8,995,869
0 Getting old is a bitch!
Last Post: rejeanprimeau
Replies: 38
Views: 8,189
0 Allegheny National Park III
Replies: 105
Views: 7,553
0 Sportster S on the dyno
Last Post: Fivecats
Replies: 8
Views: 1,447
5 Removing primary engine sprocket nut with heat gun, special caution needed?
Last Post: Ferrous Head
Replies: 37
Views: 1,432
0 Roads I'd like to ride.
Last Post: Stairman
Replies: 3,747
Views: 444,174
0 Hottie of the day, no nudity.
Replies: 34,142
Views: 4,122,531
0 1967 on FaceBook. Florida.
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 4
Views: 136
0 04 Sportster refurb and build.
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 124
Views: 9,622
0 Tank flush
Last Post: RandallM
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 0
Views: 37
0 Upside Down Monoshock IH - A Longterm Project
Posted On: 7 Hours Ago
Replies: 345
Views: 76,547
0 VOES issues? Adjustments needed?
Last Post: Tomcatt
Posted On: 7 Hours Ago
Replies: 18
Views: 629
0 Hot Chicks on Hot Bikes
Posted On: 8 Hours Ago
Replies: 12,750
Views: 3,084,983
0 High beam not working
Last Post: joe s
Replies: 14
Views: 488
5 Best way to ship large parts?
Last Post: John Harper
Replies: 6
Views: 189
0 who has NOT had problems with the XL
Last Post: 84rzv500r
Replies: 778
Views: 228,007
0 My new deer rifle
Last Post: Whitewalls
Posted On: 9 Hours Ago
Replies: 11
Views: 204
0 1995 Manual
Last Post: bustert
Posted On: 11 Hours Ago
Replies: 10
Views: 314
0 Hot Rods, Rat Rods, and Customs.
Replies: 4,959
Views: 1,021,342
0 Iree's late night cafe
Last Post: rokytnji
Replies: 2,230
Views: 402,252
0 re rocker arm cover spewing out oil
Last Post: jeffro57
Posted On: 12 Hours Ago
Replies: 13
Views: 877
0 Massachusetts 2022
Last Post: Maxeffort
Posted On: 12 Hours Ago
Replies: 49
Views: 1,919
0 This is gonna hurt.
Last Post: cal43
Posted On: 13 Hours Ago
Replies: 9,278
Views: 2,191,277
More...
Members Birthdays
77xlch, buell_fxr (76), Danny (65), Wino (53), mucas859a (48), no_chrome (47), USMC_Davii (45), dijitaldna (40), 08nightmare
Tags
derby cover, leak, oil, primary case

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22nd August 2011
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
clintbob will become famous soon enoughclintbob will become famous soon enoughclintbob will become famous soon enoughclintbob will become famous soon enoughclintbob will become famous soon enoughclintbob will become famous soon enough
Question 06 1200C Primary Oil Leak

I have a 2006 XL1200C. Recently noticed i had some oil spray on the primary cover the other night. I wiped it off to see if it was the main gasket leak or maybe as simple as the derby cover. From what i can tell it is the o ring on the shifter shaft seal, because there is no fluid forward of that point and the O ring looks wet. Doesn't look like i lost much fluid but it was enough that it concerned me. I just had the starter replaced just last week and a whole new gasket set was put in the repair. Does the primary cover have to come off to replace the o ring for the shifter?

How many of you have had leaks and what are the most common spots for this to happen?
Old 22nd August 2011
Chief Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: 05 1200R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
Other Motorcycle Model: V star classic wife's
Other Motorcycle Year: 2005
grizz420 is a jewel in the roughgrizz420 is a jewel in the roughgrizz420 is a jewel in the roughgrizz420 is a jewel in the roughgrizz420 is a jewel in the roughgrizz420 is a jewel in the roughgrizz420 is a jewel in the roughgrizz420 is a jewel in the roughgrizz420 is a jewel in the roughgrizz420 is a jewel in the roughgrizz420 is a jewel in the rough

Mine weeps in the same place.

IIRC you dont have to remove the cover to replace the seal.
05 1200R Forcewinder XR air filter, Mikuni HSR 42,Super Trapp 2-1 pipe,TC88a ign., head light visor, chin spoiler, sport front fender, solo seat off 883, 12 and 1/2 inch dual rate Works shocks , dual rate Works fork springs
Old 22nd August 2011
XL FORUM LIFE MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1460C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2000
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL1200R
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2006
Other Motorcycle Model: XL1200R
Other Motorcycle Year: 2004
sportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond repute

Who ever did the starter replacement needs to address the seal leak. If they hassle you over it you can pull the shift lever and ad an o-ring or two as needed. the shaft seal is not pressurized so that is all that you need.

The XL Forum Sportsterpedia:
http://sportsterpedia.com/doku.php/start
Old 23rd August 2011
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200R
Other Motorcycle Model: 5 bikes and 1 quad
wedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsterpaul View Post
Who ever did the starter replacement needs to address the seal leak. If they hassle you over it you can pull the shift lever and ad an o-ring or two as needed. the shaft seal is not pressurized so that is all that you need.
Mine is always getting oily around the shifter shaft seal, and I have replaced it once already without fixing the problem. It stays clean enough for a week or so, but after that the oil starts to build up and leave a black area there. I have another seal, but just don't feel like doing it right now, so it is in my parts pile waiting for the next opportunity.

On another note, Sonny had a major leak at the clutch cable, leaving a puddle below the bike when parked in his yard. I wouldn't think that could happen since the oil level is way below the cable fitting. Any thoughts on this?

Whitworth Fork Brace: http://xlforum.net/forums/m...outme&simple=1
Old 23rd August 2011
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 883R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
ColinB has a reputation beyond reputeColinB has a reputation beyond reputeColinB has a reputation beyond reputeColinB has a reputation beyond reputeColinB has a reputation beyond reputeColinB has a reputation beyond reputeColinB has a reputation beyond reputeColinB has a reputation beyond reputeColinB has a reputation beyond reputeColinB has a reputation beyond reputeColinB has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by wedge View Post
On another note, Sonny had a major leak at the clutch cable, leaving a puddle below the bike when parked in his yard. I wouldn't think that could happen since the oil level is way below the cable fitting. Any thoughts on this?
Even on the jiffy stand?? The 'correct' level (bottom of derby cover) for the tranny oil is when the sportster is upright on a lift, not canted over on the jiffy stand.
Old 24th August 2011
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

wedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColinB View Post
Even on the jiffy stand?? The 'correct' level (bottom of derby cover) for the tranny oil is when the sportster is upright on a lift, not canted over on the jiffy stand.
So, if I understand you right, then that oil level is up to the cable when it's on it's stand? If the bike does lean over that far, then that would explain what I saw over at his place. I was just starting to wonder if there was too much oil in it. Mine just seeps from the shifter seal, and also from the cable, but never anything that could be called a leak. Matter of fact, if I washed the bike like most people, I wouldn't even know it seeped at all.

Sorry to the OP "clintbob", didn't intend to hijack the thread, but maybe this info will help you too.
Old 24th August 2011
XL FORUM LIFE MEMBER

sportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond repute

If you check the primary casing and take a good look at the recess for the shifter shaft seal you would probably come to the conclusion, as I have, that the recess needs to machined just a tad deeper. That would probably end that issue, of course that would be to simple for the MoCo! i just add an extra o-ring when I do the seal. Works for me. And Colin is right on the proper fill for that cavity, do make a note- you and run it an ounce or two short without ill affects. Some bikes will spit out the breather tube if the full amount is put in.
Old 24th August 2011
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsterpaul View Post
If you check the primary casing and take a good look at the recess for the shifter shaft seal you would probably come to the conclusion, as I have, that the recess needs to machined just a tad deeper. That would probably end that issue, of course that would be to simple for the MoCo! i just add an extra o-ring when I do the seal. Works for me. And Colin is right on the proper fill for that cavity, do make a note- you and run it an ounce or two short without ill affects. Some bikes will spit out the breather tube if the full amount is put in.
Hi Paul.
Mine has a ring around the shaft (not an O-ring), just looks like a plastic spacer. Are you saying to put an O-ring behind that up against the seal? Actually you said two O-rings.

I have always put a quart in the primary, and I was wondering about putting a bit less, and it looks like you agree?

By the way, 90,000 miles since 06... I have to give you rep for that.
Old 25th August 2011
XL FORUM LIFE MEMBER

Thanks for that, and I do add an o-ring between the shift lever and the shaft seal, that little bit of pressure keeps my side cover clean and dry. 91,000 now.
Old 25th August 2011
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
clintbob will become famous soon enoughclintbob will become famous soon enoughclintbob will become famous soon enoughclintbob will become famous soon enoughclintbob will become famous soon enoughclintbob will become famous soon enough

Found the leak without a doubt, it was the gasket for the inspection cover. Cleaned up the primary case and started the bike, it was pouring out under that cover. New gasket $4 from HD. Easy fix, torqued to spec.