The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE FORUM > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Rubber Mount Sportster Motorcycle Talk (2004-2006)
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Notices

Rubber Mount Sportster Motorcycle Talk (2004-2006) This area is to discuss issues, problems and anything else unique to the 2004 and above Sportster motorcycles

Active Threads
0 Informed reviews!
Last Post: 2cam
Posted On: 49 Minutes Ago
Replies: 11
Views: 645
0 Hot Rods, Rat Rods, and Customs.
Last Post: cal43
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 4,952
Views: 1,019,068
0 This is gonna hurt.
Replies: 9,274
Views: 2,189,201
0 Hottie of the day, no nudity.
Replies: 34,065
Views: 4,108,367
0 Official XL Forum Random Image Thread (NO NUDITY!)
Replies: 53,053
Views: 8,989,857
0 video & pics
Replies: 799
Views: 83,901
0 Hot Chicks on Hot Bikes
Replies: 12,725
Views: 3,077,441
0 Coulda' - Shoulda' - Woulda' - Solenoid/Bendix?
Last Post: ZTatZAU
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 66
Views: 1,859
0 Keep & Kill
Last Post: Graywolf
Replies: 26,940
Views: 1,562,736
5 Removing primary engine sprocket nut with heat gun, special caution needed?
Last Post: ericfreeman
Replies: 15
Views: 396
0 VOES issues? Adjustments needed?
Last Post: Edster
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Replies: 6
Views: 200
0 Primary thread
Last Post: RandallM
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Replies: 23
Views: 611
0 Alternative to stock clutch cable?
Last Post: ChinCactus
Posted On: 6 Hours Ago
Replies: 3
Views: 206
0 re rocker arm cover spewing out oil
Last Post: 11B40
Posted On: 7 Hours Ago
Replies: 4
Views: 138
0 weight loss thread
Last Post: Steve9
Posted On: 8 Hours Ago
Replies: 77
Views: 29,118
0 Massachusetts 2022
Last Post: sportsterpaul
Replies: 29
Views: 1,034
0 Iree's late night cafe
Last Post: Graywolf
Replies: 2,227
Views: 401,303
0 Another question re: Microsquirt
Last Post: t120r
Replies: 61
Views: 1,624
0 "S" model specific Q&A
Last Post: heyjames
Replies: 2,108
Views: 471,555
0 What song do you have stuck in your head?
Last Post: iNSaNeSHaNe
Replies: 2,495
Views: 279,252
0 gasket sealant
Last Post: NLXL
Replies: 9
Views: 199
5 Late 50s XL to 60s XL Front End Compatibility
Last Post: Jhbox13
Replies: 6
Views: 281
0 What did you do for your sporty Today?
Last Post: cycowrencher
Posted On: 9 Hours Ago
Replies: 7,874
Views: 1,370,283
0 Upside Down Monoshock IH - A Longterm Project
Last Post: Ferrous Head
Posted On: 10 Hours Ago
Replies: 337
Views: 75,234
3 Wtb, Wts, Wtt, Wtg (Ironhead)
Last Post: tiderider
Replies: 24
Views: 290,791
0 Sportster Tracker Wheel and Tire Questions
Last Post: Big Al
Replies: 2
Views: 293
0 Roads I'd like to ride.
Last Post: Stairman
Posted On: 12 Hours Ago
Replies: 3,742
Views: 443,456
0 Microsquirt EFI Conversion
Last Post: t120r
Posted On: 12 Hours Ago
Replies: 62
Views: 7,771
0 Rear Brake Squeal Fixed
Last Post: John Harper
Posted On: 19 Hours Ago
Replies: 13
Views: 839
0 Black Bike Bible
Last Post: cycowrencher
Posted On: 21 Hours Ago
Replies: 2,586
Views: 1,274,439
More...
Members Birthdays
Steph (56), yubman (51), Sporty1971 (51), Windesch (49), Mark_Bench (45), motherduce (43), sgtfry (40), Mrtechit101 (31)
Tags
carbon dioxide, carbon monoxide, carburetor, emission test, idle

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12th September 2021
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200s
Sportster/Buell Year: 2001
Sportster/Buell Model #2: xlch
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1974
bustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond repute

with bad compression numbers, you will never get it to pass. sounds like you bought a money pit and it may be wise to let her go.
there is an additive that actually works, IF cyl taper is not TOO great and that is engine restore, it uses copper,silver,lead particles to fill in cylinder wall issues and will raise compression but it not an over night thing and you have to continue using it. that said, if the engine is beyond its capabilities, get a bigger shovel to load money into the pit.
Old 12th September 2021
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883DLX
Sportster/Buell Year: 1992
NLXL has a reputation beyond reputeNLXL has a reputation beyond reputeNLXL has a reputation beyond reputeNLXL has a reputation beyond reputeNLXL has a reputation beyond reputeNLXL has a reputation beyond reputeNLXL has a reputation beyond reputeNLXL has a reputation beyond reputeNLXL has a reputation beyond reputeNLXL has a reputation beyond reputeNLXL has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by krono View Post
I plan to lower the jets to 40 and 160 and see what happens...

these are the values ​​for "old" motorcycles ... for new motorcycles they ask for much more restrictive things (close to 0%)

Costa Rica sells its carbon footprint to developed countries, and that represents many millions of dollars for politicians.

Every year they tighten the pegs more in the emissions test.

They want old vehicles to not be able to circulate, but since they cannot take away your property, what they do is make it increasingly difficult to pass the tests.

While you get screwed over a motorcycle that is rarely and occasionally used, The-Big-Asian-Country-You-Cant-Name-On-Internet pollutes more than all other countries combined ... but who will bell the cat ?

"In 2030 you will own nothing, and you will be happy."
Maybe you're lucky and a change of the jets will be just enough. Maybe try Haegar advice, he's got experience with it. Take it step by step before tearing a whole engine down with eventually the same outcome on the emission after a rebuild...

Same here with those 'carbon footprints', CO2 taxes, killing livestock for it, shutting down farmers, powerplants and all that other shit, while that 'other country' is happily building 600 new coal powerplants. It's a revenue model, that's what it is.

Quote:
"In 2030 you will own nothing, and you will be happy."
the New World Order...
Old 12th September 2021
Dazed & Confused

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2017
Other Motorcycle Model: BMW R9T
Other Motorcycle Year: 2015
Tomcatt has a reputation beyond reputeTomcatt has a reputation beyond reputeTomcatt has a reputation beyond reputeTomcatt has a reputation beyond reputeTomcatt has a reputation beyond reputeTomcatt has a reputation beyond reputeTomcatt has a reputation beyond reputeTomcatt has a reputation beyond reputeTomcatt has a reputation beyond reputeTomcatt has a reputation beyond reputeTomcatt has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I plan to lower the jets to 40 and 160 and see what happens...
You shouldn't need to. Just leaning your idle mixture, by turning the IMS in (clockwise if you're looking at the slot in the screws' head) should be enough. Be careful about raising the idle speed, these carbs run the throttle blade right on the transfer ports and it's easy to richen the mixture when you raise the idle speed because you expose (and pull fuel thru) the transfer ports.
Old 12th September 2021
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

bustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond repute

absolutely nothing will make this pass with low compression!
why???
The carbon monoxide emissions are increased at lower compression ratio due to more dilution of fresh air with residual gases. this is in part to the fuel not burning correctly.
which burns better a log or a pile of twigs.
Old 12th September 2021
Dazed & Confused

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2017
Other Motorcycle Model: BMW R9T
Other Motorcycle Year: 2015
Tomcatt has a reputation beyond reputeTomcatt has a reputation beyond reputeTomcatt has a reputation beyond reputeTomcatt has a reputation beyond reputeTomcatt has a reputation beyond reputeTomcatt has a reputation beyond reputeTomcatt has a reputation beyond reputeTomcatt has a reputation beyond reputeTomcatt has a reputation beyond reputeTomcatt has a reputation beyond reputeTomcatt has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
...I found a guy with a dyno shop, will call him this week and see if it is not very expensive I will go there, if not I will keep randomly trying to make it work, money $$ is a big factor in this repair, must be keep very cheap...
All you have to do is meet the CO spec at idle. You don't need a dyno to do that, you need an exhaust gas analyzer. If the test facility you go to will let you adjust your idle mixture during the test you can try adjusting it there.
Old 12th September 2021
Senior Chief Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: XL 883
Sportster/Buell Year: 2004
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL 1200 C
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2008
Other Motorcycle Model: XL 883 L
Other Motorcycle Year: 2005
krono has a reputation beyond reputekrono has a reputation beyond reputekrono has a reputation beyond reputekrono has a reputation beyond reputekrono has a reputation beyond reputekrono has a reputation beyond reputekrono has a reputation beyond reputekrono has a reputation beyond reputekrono has a reputation beyond reputekrono has a reputation beyond reputekrono has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks everybody for the valuable information!!

I maybe did the compression test badly?

It was my first time doing one. I borrowed the equipment. But after I did, and returned the equipment, I saw that I forgot to fully open the throttle and remove the air filter. Maybe that's why he gave so low? Because here is a mountainous country and the bike feels that it pushes well uphill, compared to other 883s that I have also ridden ... maybe I should borrow the compression gauge again and check correctly ...

Another thing, when giving it acceleration from idle, always shoots a mouth of black train-type smoke and then no visible smoke. Not gray, not white, black. It does not consume oil, but you can smell gasoline in the air.

I clarify that I am not an expert in mechanics or carburation, I only follow online tutorials, the manual, the information that I can retrieve from all sides.

Soon I will try to upload a video of the smoke, how the bike was and how I made it (go a long way!)

I also put a new CKP sensor because it accused that fault.

Quote:
absolutely nothing will make this pass with low compression!
Well I have faith, I still have a couple of tricks up my sleeve.

As well as trying re carb and re jet, and this week I'm going to call the guy with the dynamometer that was recommended to me here by other local motorcyclists.

I have two more tricks in case I fail again.

1. Order this mini catalyst from China : https://www.ebay.com/itm/203460116619

(I already passed dB test using dish washer wire wool inside the muffler)

2. "Hey dear friend from the technical review, have you seen my friend Benjamin Frankling? He says that my motorcycle passes this review" (Remember that I am in Latin America, everything works better with a Benjamin)

When I bought it, it would not even start, it had no lights or speedometer or brakes and it was leaking gas everywhere and the carburetor was stuck. In addition to having suffered an accident. I'm doing quite well, it already works. I have spent about $ 500 plus my time plus $ 1500 for the bike. Not bad, here an 883 is not lower than 7 or 8 thousand dollars ...

Well, let's keep the faith! I hope I can pass the test without spending a lot of money, I am tired of walking: P

Thanks again to everyone for the valuable advice, I appreciate it very much, and if you have more ideas, welcome !!
Old 12th September 2021
XL FORUM LIFE MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: xls 1000
Sportster/Buell Year: 1980
Sportster/Buell Model #2: xls 1000
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1983
Other Motorcycle Model: 1200 Chopper XL
Other Motorcycle Year: 1990
rokytnji has a reputation beyond reputerokytnji has a reputation beyond reputerokytnji has a reputation beyond reputerokytnji has a reputation beyond reputerokytnji has a reputation beyond reputerokytnji has a reputation beyond reputerokytnji has a reputation beyond reputerokytnji has a reputation beyond reputerokytnji has a reputation beyond reputerokytnji has a reputation beyond reputerokytnji has a reputation beyond repute

Black smoke is unburned gas.

White smoke is unburned oil.

Edit: Going out on limb here and figure the compression is OK if no miles on bike. I have a 04 with 20,000 miles with good compression.

OP probably screwed the compression test due to virgin territory for him.

I'm not outa place. I'm from outer space.

Traveled to
Old 13th September 2021
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

what good is the catalytic insert, just a BIG waste of money. for it to work, it has to get around 600*f and that is not going to happen at idle.
reconfirm compression and follow with leak down test if the numbers hold the same.
i would rethink the $$$ offer to the inspector, might windup the motorcycle is the least of your problems.
that insert reminds me of an ole trick> two bars of lava soap in a wool sock inside the air cleaner for a 20% gain in horse power. oh! BTW, i got a bridge to sell cheap, located in brooklyn, ny.
Old 13th September 2021
Flat Track Racer

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH 883
Sportster/Buell Year: 2000
ZCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeZCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeZCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeZCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeZCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeZCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeZCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeZCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeZCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeZCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeZCarFan has a reputation beyond repute

How about leaning out the idle mixture and re-test which was mentioned earlier? Easy and most logical steps first. High CO means it's rich.

I may have missed it in an earlier post, but what will it cost to re-test? If free or minimal cost, just tweak what you can and stop pondering the worst-case scenarios.
Old 13th September 2021
Land Speed Record

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1971
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 1973 HD/Aermacchi TX125
Other Motorcycle Model: 1988 BMW K75
Whitewalls has a reputation beyond reputeWhitewalls has a reputation beyond reputeWhitewalls has a reputation beyond reputeWhitewalls has a reputation beyond reputeWhitewalls has a reputation beyond reputeWhitewalls has a reputation beyond reputeWhitewalls has a reputation beyond reputeWhitewalls has a reputation beyond reputeWhitewalls has a reputation beyond reputeWhitewalls has a reputation beyond reputeWhitewalls has a reputation beyond repute

I had no idea that some countries had routine emissions testing for motorcycles.
The State of Washington permanently eliminated emissions testing for all types of vehicles.