The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE FORUM > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Notices

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Active Threads
0 Woulda, shoulda, coulda...engine guards
Last Post: SLW210
Posted On: 2 Minutes Ago
Replies: 8
Views: 152
0 I've been getting some revenge.
Last Post: sportsterpaul
Posted On: 10 Minutes Ago
Replies: 8
Views: 193
0 Frosty 48
Last Post: lostNdallas
Posted On: 11 Minutes Ago
Replies: 0
Views: 4
10 Is it important to brush your teeth?
Last Post: The Crusher
Posted On: 14 Minutes Ago
Replies: 13
Views: 256
0 88ci Sport Rod
Posted On: 16 Minutes Ago
Replies: 676
Views: 104,405
0 You asked for it! "The Tess' Coffee Thread"
Posted On: 24 Minutes Ago
Replies: 10,358
Views: 732,350
0 Who is at fault here? (WARNING - GRAPHIC!)
Last Post: Folkie
Posted On: 44 Minutes Ago
Replies: 151
Views: 32,703
0 Lets see your off season builds
Last Post: cycowrencher
Posted On: 45 Minutes Ago
Replies: 1,141
Views: 124,219
0 Quick and probably stupid question
Last Post: bustert
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 7
Views: 185
0 How to keep a dry clutch dry?
Last Post: chevelle
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 79
Views: 12,696
0 How many helmets?
Last Post: japsche
Replies: 199
Views: 27,655
8 Drinking and Riding!!!
Last Post: SLW210
Replies: 156
Views: 28,368
0 Metal Polishing
Last Post: Graywolf
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 28
Views: 1,507
0 ....1
Replies: 4,687
Views: 233,419
0 Roads I'd like to ride.
Replies: 678
Views: 39,377
0 Compressor tool
Last Post: harley506d
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 3
Views: 139
4 What is the best CCW? Glock? S&W? Sig?
Last Post: rocketmangb
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Views: 85
0 THE Trainspotting Thread
Last Post: Stairman
Replies: 2,167
Views: 251,651
0 Official XL Forum Random Image Thread (NO NUDITY!)
Replies: 42,008
Views: 6,501,807
0 Hottie of the day, no nudity.
Posted On: 6 Hours Ago
Replies: 8,729
Views: 720,134
0 cancer
Last Post: big andy
Posted On: 6 Hours Ago
Replies: 583
Views: 60,035
0 Hydraulic conversion for wet clutch
Last Post: paulc
Posted On: 7 Hours Ago
Replies: 16
Views: 1,234
0 Hello everyone!
Last Post: Glamazon
Posted On: 8 Hours Ago
Replies: 15
Views: 178
0 03 xlh 88"
Last Post: splineman
Posted On: 8 Hours Ago
Replies: 51
Views: 1,642
0 How many Keith Black Conversions?
Last Post: 1HD4CJM1X4K
Posted On: 10 Hours Ago
Views: 222
0 Straight 1" risers on 1200c
Last Post: DF-SLICK
Posted On: 12 Hours Ago
Replies: 15
Views: 321
5 Jiffy Standing
Last Post: WI_duker
Replies: 5
Views: 490
3 Ironhead Pictures Thread
Last Post: sdsbassist
Replies: 1,970
Views: 772,976
0 New England 2018
Last Post: The Crusher
Replies: 284
Views: 15,513
0 This Mikuni vm38-9 is driving me insane
Last Post: SHAKY DAVE
Posted On: 13 Hours Ago
Replies: 51
Views: 2,973
More...
Members Birthdays
Sponsored Links

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 31st October 2016
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200s
Sportster/Buell Year: 2001
Sportster/Buell Model #2: xlch
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1974
bustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond repute

do you have the book on the 60?
Old 31st October 2016
Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: Sporty XLH 883
Sportster/Buell Year: 1992
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Sporty XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1960
Other Motorcycle Model: Jaguar XJ-6
Other Motorcycle Year: 1996
Blowupster has much to be proud ofBlowupster has much to be proud ofBlowupster has much to be proud ofBlowupster has much to be proud ofBlowupster has much to be proud ofBlowupster has much to be proud ofBlowupster has much to be proud ofBlowupster has much to be proud ofBlowupster has much to be proud ofBlowupster has much to be proud ofBlowupster has much to be proud of

The clymer manuel M419 for Sportster 883 1200 XLH1000 1959-1985 ?

Actualy I've another one in french for 1985-1999 I used for my 1992.
Old 31st October 2016
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: xlch
Sportster/Buell Year: 1960
brucstoudt has a brilliant futurebrucstoudt has a brilliant futurebrucstoudt has a brilliant futurebrucstoudt has a brilliant futurebrucstoudt has a brilliant futurebrucstoudt has a brilliant futurebrucstoudt has a brilliant futurebrucstoudt has a brilliant futurebrucstoudt has a brilliant futurebrucstoudt has a brilliant futurebrucstoudt has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blowupster View Post
For the carb, perhaps I just need to open the down plate to remove dust that avoids stopping the fuel (?)
you'll need to remove the float bowl,the bottom half of the carb.4 screws hold it,but you'll have to remove it from the intake manifold.you can't drop the float bowl with the carb mounted because the magneto is in the way.
72 1000cc barrels and heads, s&s 41/2'' flywheels, sifton cams, s&s super B w/ zippers thunderjet w/yost powertube, andrews gears,and shafts, competition engineering kevlar wet or dry clutch, 72 oil pump, morris magneto w/auto advance and single fire module, cycle electric generator w/electronic regulator,73 cu.in.
Old 31st October 2016

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1962
GA_Ironhead has much to be proud ofGA_Ironhead has much to be proud ofGA_Ironhead has much to be proud ofGA_Ironhead has much to be proud ofGA_Ironhead has much to be proud ofGA_Ironhead has much to be proud ofGA_Ironhead has much to be proud ofGA_Ironhead has much to be proud ofGA_Ironhead has much to be proud ofGA_Ironhead has much to be proud ofGA_Ironhead has much to be proud of

Blowupster, congratulations on your CH!

To supplement your Clymers manual, you'll want to get a copy of the H-D Factory Service Manual, part # 99484-68, which covers 1959-69. If you've lived a good, clean life, you'll find a french translation.

I never thought about it before: does anyone know if translations exist?

The parts book is invaluable as well.
Old 1st November 2016
Rider Of The Iron Steed

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1978
IronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond repute

It would be a bit of work but you can scan the text [every new printer is also a scanner these days] then use Google translate to translate it into any language ...

https://translate.google.com/

Do it one section at a time, as you need it.

Visit Mick's WebSite
[And Check Out My Autobiog]
Old 1st November 2016
Master Mechanic

Blowupster has much to be proud ofBlowupster has much to be proud ofBlowupster has much to be proud ofBlowupster has much to be proud ofBlowupster has much to be proud ofBlowupster has much to be proud ofBlowupster has much to be proud ofBlowupster has much to be proud ofBlowupster has much to be proud ofBlowupster has much to be proud ofBlowupster has much to be proud of

Thanks for info and welcome messages.
Ok tonight I will have only free time at 9:30. I will try to knock gently with hammer on the bottom of the carb. when fuel open to see if it helps the floating element to shut the fuel arrival. I will drop gap of the spark plugs to the minimum. Then I will stop fuel and try 30 minutes with the kick. As the seller said he spent half an hour to start last time. Then it will be easy for me to sleep.
The day after I will remove the carb and try to clean with my tool that are not done for it...
I will probably filter all the fuel inside of the tank, the tank is not correct set (not flat) even with 3 litres I have to set R(eserve) position
Without carb, it will be easy to make test for the magneto. Yesterday I remove the kill wire and try again to get any spark without any success.
I have old Champion sparkplug. what you recommend in NGK to get more chance to start ?
Ok I will order the Clymer manual today. English books is not a problem for me. It’s better to learn the English name of part to write to you. My problem is when it’s written for people that will understand acronyms like :
“10) points wire stud (a/m points only. the oem f/m points dont have stud)- no cont.”
Old 1st November 2016
Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: ironhead xlch
Sportster/Buell Year: 74
Sportster/Buell Model #2: xlh
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1976
Other Motorcycle Model: xlx
Other Motorcycle Year: 1984
hawgford is a glorious beacon of lighthawgford is a glorious beacon of lighthawgford is a glorious beacon of lighthawgford is a glorious beacon of lighthawgford is a glorious beacon of lighthawgford is a glorious beacon of lighthawgford is a glorious beacon of lighthawgford is a glorious beacon of lighthawgford is a glorious beacon of lighthawgford is a glorious beacon of lighthawgford is a glorious beacon of light

welcome from the Southern USA .. words of advice... GET the factory manual, they DO have international,I OWN one.it can be had as a pdf....... concentrate on ONE thing at a time, get it right and move on........ you got air,get fire next,then fuel. ...On that note, shelf that B model or any S&S carb and get the exact same carb you have on the 92 and the inexpensive adapter on ebay or? Its way too much carb and has no aceelerator pump and will make startin a bear no matter even if you learn the sequence.There are some great mods with lil or no cost that can be done on the CV type carb to get rid of the cough sputter ,etc and really get it to flow..Ngk doe NOT make HD specific plugs as far as I know. the champion H8C gapped at .030 is what you want ,there is an RH8C, it will work but you don;t need a resistor plug. autolite[ preffered ] is 4316 and you must have SOLID copper core wires.Stranded is acceptable, but...Mags can be rebuilt and sometimes the rare earth inside needs remagnitized.. oh yeah the c v carb you use should have 48 and 170 jets to start. use KEIHIN jets and no bullsheet kits or aftermarket parts in em,EVER. A good source for reference is sportyparts.com I do not know if they ship overseas.. STAY AWAY from JP CYLCLES DENNIS KIRK. I also recommend quality mufflers on stock 1 3/4 only head pipes,not drags which rob midrange power bad, just some folks HAVe to have the noise.. I own 3 ironheads, stock,custom and drag..
Old 2nd November 2016
Master Mechanic

Thanks for your welcome message.
Ok tonight I open again the magneto and checked the ohm value between point spring and ground: 0.9 when closed and 1.1 open. That’s not a big difference indeed. So I cleaned between the 2 points and then I get 0.5 close and 1.1 open. Ok that’s how I understand the breaker points should works when wired to a coil.
Then I put aluminium foil between to coil spring (gap about 2 mm) and I got spark when kicking.
I remove foil and close the Magneto put a test plug and kick and get spark too. So – magical - It works
Then I open fuel 5 seconds to full the carb and avoid the leak and the kick 10 times nothing except fuel escaping from the rear exhaust pipe.
Ok I stop today and let fuel evaporate during next night.
Tomorrow I will try to start using Starting spray instead of fuel. If enough time I will remove the Super B carb to begin cleaning.
Sponsored Links
Old 2nd November 2016

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1962
GA_Ironhead has much to be proud ofGA_Ironhead has much to be proud ofGA_Ironhead has much to be proud ofGA_Ironhead has much to be proud ofGA_Ironhead has much to be proud ofGA_Ironhead has much to be proud ofGA_Ironhead has much to be proud ofGA_Ironhead has much to be proud ofGA_Ironhead has much to be proud ofGA_Ironhead has much to be proud ofGA_Ironhead has much to be proud of

Is your fuel fresh? It makes a big difference in kick starting.

I assume it is, because it would have been shipped dry...

Test for spark with the spark plug wires included in the circuit.
Old 2nd November 2016
Master Mechanic

Thanks for message.
Yes it should arrive dry. In fact the tank was not empty. I add fuel. But I suspect the rest of fuel was bad as the fuel leaks show strange fuel quality.
Let's go to clean the carb and empty the tank.
I will remove the spark plugs and clean them too and test them with wires included in the circuit.