The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE FORUM > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Notices

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Active Threads
0 tires 2012 custom
Last Post: Folkie
Posted On: 11 Minutes Ago
Replies: 5
Views: 213
0 What did you do for your sporty Today?
Last Post: ParrotHead
Posted On: 17 Minutes Ago
Replies: 5,291
Views: 585,648
0 How Much Money Has Being An XL Forum Member Saved You?
Last Post: Toejam503
Posted On: 20 Minutes Ago
Replies: 163
Views: 65,175
14 Limey biker
Last Post: oreocat1
Posted On: 23 Minutes Ago
Replies: 3
Views: 35
0 Carb
Last Post: Diogenes415
Posted On: 26 Minutes Ago
Replies: 16
Views: 477
0 C.O.B.B run west
Last Post: BKB
Posted On: 37 Minutes Ago
Replies: 227
Views: 16,112
0 Crusty's Travels
Last Post: Crusty
Posted On: 44 Minutes Ago
Replies: 1,516
Views: 152,682
0 THE Trainspotting Thread
Last Post: BKB
Posted On: 54 Minutes Ago
Replies: 2,031
Views: 216,803
0 New to the Harley Brand
Last Post: FrankZ
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 15
Views: 207
0 PLEASE READ THIS Before You Post In 'The BUY - SELL - TRADE Zone'!
Replies: 1
Views: 1,051
0 WTB Black Rear Shocks
Replies: 1
Views: 21
0 Ironhead Rendez-vous - Event for Ironhead owners of Ontario
Last Post: The Doctor71
Replies: 11
Views: 431
0 Lots of issues 78
Last Post: IronMick
Replies: 10
Views: 188
0 Hottie of the day, no nudity.
Last Post: Stairman
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 7,601
Views: 559,593
0 Official XL Forum Random Image Thread (NO NUDITY!)
Last Post: Stairman
Replies: 41,223
Views: 6,321,506
10 New rider - XL1200S in Aus.
Last Post: jkinkade
Replies: 32
Views: 2,040
0 2 wire turn signal installing on 1 wire bike
Last Post: chris16371
Replies: 26
Views: 675
0 Superlow XL1200T tyres.
Last Post: lucifer_mr2
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 0
Views: 37
0 Worst Harley rider ever.
Last Post: crazyphuzz
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Replies: 13
Views: 249
0 What's your helmet?
Last Post: Nibelungen
Posted On: 8 Hours Ago
Replies: 51
Views: 2,581
0 Yetman drag frame
Last Post: Slojoe55
Replies: 31
Views: 11,215
0 Sizing cylinders too pistons
Last Post: Yakcm2
Replies: 11
Views: 440
0 Shovester Sighting
Last Post: needspeed
Posted On: 10 Hours Ago
Replies: 67
Views: 7,283
0 1998 Sportster Ignition Problems
Last Post: james69
Posted On: 11 Hours Ago
Replies: 28
Views: 712
0 Starter circuit without relay
Last Post: ChicagoSlim
Posted On: 11 Hours Ago
Replies: 6
Views: 120
0 I finally learned how to work the system!
Last Post: Ranchero50
Posted On: 12 Hours Ago
Replies: 8
Views: 256
0 DK's Definitive Ride Report - Some of the Best Scenic Roads Out West - Tons of Photo'
Last Post: DK Custom
Replies: 109
Views: 4,887
0 Broken exhaust stud questions.
Last Post: Graywolf
Replies: 7
Views: 255
0 Hot Rods, Rat Rods, and Customs.
Last Post: Graywolf
Replies: 2,582
Views: 208,290
0 What coil(s) do you run with your Dyna S ignition?
Last Post: stanroyal
Replies: 7
Views: 166
More...
Members Birthdays
Sponsored Links

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29th April 2018
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1976
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 74/5
paulc has a reputation beyond reputepaulc has a reputation beyond reputepaulc has a reputation beyond reputepaulc has a reputation beyond reputepaulc has a reputation beyond reputepaulc has a reputation beyond reputepaulc has a reputation beyond reputepaulc has a reputation beyond reputepaulc has a reputation beyond reputepaulc has a reputation beyond reputepaulc has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by deguireb View Post
Hi Paul, Sorry to hear about this problem, I have my transmission out now and collecting parts for the C ratio update. Having second thought now though. I am also a rookie so hopefully you get some guidance from others with experience soon. I'll be monitoring this thread closely, thanks for documenting it so well. Regards, Bryan
Don't be put off the c ratio Bryan. I don't think my problems are related to that. In the 500 miles I've done so far with the c ratio I found it is definitely worth the change. I think my issues may be related either to mainshaft endplay or a loose shifter fork shaft, or both. See what others think and I'll see what my Indy thinks when I get a chance to speak to him next.
Paul
Old 29th April 2018
XL FORUM LIFE MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: xlh
Sportster/Buell Year: 1974
needspeed has much to be proud ofneedspeed has much to be proud ofneedspeed has much to be proud ofneedspeed has much to be proud ofneedspeed has much to be proud ofneedspeed has much to be proud ofneedspeed has much to be proud ofneedspeed has much to be proud ofneedspeed has much to be proud ofneedspeed has much to be proud ofneedspeed has much to be proud of

Thoughts?

Clutch gear bearing looks to have excessive play. I'd replace it.

The shift fork shaft is supposed to be a press fit in the door and isn't supposed to come out, though many I've seen have lost the press fit and can be pushed out of the door but I think that's OK. But they shouldn't be so loose that the shaft wiggles the way yours does.

A new door is an option. But there are some really impressive retaining compounds that could be used to tighted that up. Take everything off the door, put some retaining compound on the door end of the shaft and install the door so it's aligned while it sets up. Where I work we have started using Loctite 680 in places where we used to use set screws and/or welding to hold slip fit parts together. It's great stuff.

The 16285-48 plug in the right case obviously needs to be retained by something other than silicone. It seems crude but often just peening the edge of the hole after it's put in does the job. You can see that someone did that on the black case you have. The long mark on the case near the hole looks to be from the factory on both cases. After '76 the plug isn't needed because the hole isn't drilled all the way through.

It's hard to tell from the pic but it looks like the hole in the c shaft oiler plug in the door isn't pointing up. If so it should be. It's there for oil to go in it not out. No way this caused your shifting problem though.

The splines on the sprocket end of the mainshaft look terrible.

Sometime around 1980 harley stopped using the tab and pin to keep the M/S washer from turning. If you don't want to repair that pin you have that option. Just grind the tab off.

Sorry I can't say what is causing the problem. Doodah's idea about a sticking plunger in the door certainly could do it.

The forks are supposed to slide on the fork shaft. If the shaft is moving with the forks because it's so loose that can't be helping. The gears look good and the spacing is right. The shift mechanism needs to be completely checked.
Old 29th April 2018
XL FORUM LIFE MEMBER

needspeed has much to be proud ofneedspeed has much to be proud ofneedspeed has much to be proud ofneedspeed has much to be proud ofneedspeed has much to be proud ofneedspeed has much to be proud ofneedspeed has much to be proud ofneedspeed has much to be proud ofneedspeed has much to be proud ofneedspeed has much to be proud ofneedspeed has much to be proud of

Just looked again at your video of the clutch bearing. Looks like the tang on the lockplate for the shifter cam retainer is in the fork shaft hole. It shouldn't be. There's another hole for that. The tang is quite long. Maybe it is pushing your already loose shaft farther to the right so it's losing some support in the door and that contributes to the shaft becoming even looser?
Old 29th April 2018
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

paulc has a reputation beyond reputepaulc has a reputation beyond reputepaulc has a reputation beyond reputepaulc has a reputation beyond reputepaulc has a reputation beyond reputepaulc has a reputation beyond reputepaulc has a reputation beyond reputepaulc has a reputation beyond reputepaulc has a reputation beyond reputepaulc has a reputation beyond reputepaulc has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks needspeed. I like the Loctite 680 idea. Maybe a metal plug in the case the other end of the shaft could be held with that as well. Is the 16285-48 plug metal or rubber? Just wondering if the black plug I had that was held with silicone is the 16285-48 plug or something used instead of it? I can't find a clear picture of one and my other engine has metal in that hole.

Interesting about the tang being in the wrong place, nice catch

The bearing will be replaced and I take your point about the mainshaft splines at the sprocket end of the shaft, I will have a close look at the sprocket fit and maybe get a new shaft. Don't think the budget will reach to Andrews right now though.

More thinking needed but a plan is beginning to form.
Paul
Old 29th April 2018
XL FORUM LIFE MEMBER

The plug is metal. I've never seen one that was new and not installed but I assume it looks like a welch plug/ dished core plug.

Instead of being flat a welch plug has a domed shape. It gets hammered in the hole against a shoulder and as the hammering flattens it in the hole the diameter increases slightly and gets tight.

Looks like you would need a 7/16" diameter plug.
Old 29th April 2018
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: xlch
Sportster/Buell Year: 1960
brucstoudt has a brilliant futurebrucstoudt has a brilliant futurebrucstoudt has a brilliant futurebrucstoudt has a brilliant futurebrucstoudt has a brilliant futurebrucstoudt has a brilliant futurebrucstoudt has a brilliant futurebrucstoudt has a brilliant futurebrucstoudt has a brilliant futurebrucstoudt has a brilliant futurebrucstoudt has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by needspeed View Post

Sometime around 1980 harley stopped using the tab and pin to keep the M/S washer from turning.
1983.correct on the plug for the fork rod.you can get them at an auto parts store.the guy behind the counter gave me 2.
72 1000cc barrels and heads, s&s 41/2'' flywheels, sifton cams, s&s super B w/ zippers thunderjet w/yost powertube, andrews gears,and shafts, competition engineering kevlar wet or dry clutch, 72 oil pump, morris magneto w/auto advance and single fire module, cycle electric generator w/electronic regulator,73 cu.in.
Old 30th April 2018
Senior Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XR 750
Sportster/Buell Year: 1972
Sportster/Buell Model #2: RR 250
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1976
barefoot has a reputation beyond reputebarefoot has a reputation beyond reputebarefoot has a reputation beyond reputebarefoot has a reputation beyond reputebarefoot has a reputation beyond reputebarefoot has a reputation beyond reputebarefoot has a reputation beyond reputebarefoot has a reputation beyond reputebarefoot has a reputation beyond reputebarefoot has a reputation beyond reputebarefoot has a reputation beyond repute

Gut feel here so feel free to ignore but ... the stuff you found is not good but it shouldn't result in the situation you described. Maybe a bad shift here and there, reluctance to go into gear, whatever but not wholesale disaster.

I'd be looking at the entire shift mechanism under a microscope. There's a great Doc thread here about the different towers, top hats, springs, all that stuff. It just sounds like something much worse than a loose rail or missing oiler cup is going on with your box.

And yeah, the output splines look awful but nothing moves on them. 99.998% sure that's not involved in your problem.
Sponsored Links
Old 30th April 2018
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Year: 1975
doodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulc View Post
shift fork looks kind of beat, and warrants further investigation. any chipped gear dogs anywhere?
Old 30th April 2018
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Thanks for the input guys. I will pull the trans out again this evening to have a look at everything again and get the bearing number for the clutch gear bearing.
Something i didn't mention but after reading a bit more seems maybe relevant - when we pulled the trans yoshi was ready with a rubber mallet on the right side but if I remember right it wasn't needed. I pulled the trapdoor and it slid out without needing a whack from the other side.
Paul
Old 30th April 2018
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Scrap the above, tonight it needed a good whack to move it out

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodah man View Post
shift fork looks kind of beat, and warrants further investigation. any chipped gear dogs anywhere?
These ones have some marks doodah:

A question: If I loctite the shift fork shaft, or maybe a new one, into the trapdoor how far through the door does it go? Flush with the outside? I've never seen one properly in place so have no idea.
Paul