The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > BUELL MOTORCYCLE FORUM > Buell Motorcycle Project
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Active Threads
0 Tired of hearing the Sportster is a girls bike (The one and only Girly Bike Thread)
Last Post: boomerguy
Posted On: 6 Minutes Ago
Replies: 3,902
Views: 763,714
0 Need help with S&S GB carb
Last Post: RKN
Posted On: 7 Minutes Ago
Replies: 11
Views: 202
0 Do you have the service manual?
Posted On: 18 Minutes Ago
Replies: 752
Views: 193,794
0 69/50 Fest: The 50th Anniversary of the 1969 Sportster (Fall 2019 GBB) 9/14/19
Last Post: IronMick
Posted On: 31 Minutes Ago
Replies: 54
Views: 3,959
0 Sportster front wheel/tire sizes
Last Post: Davo_137
Posted On: 38 Minutes Ago
Replies: 9
Views: 211
0 Bad Primary Oil Leak
Last Post: GA_Ironhead
Posted On: 57 Minutes Ago
Replies: 11
Views: 314
0 Helmets Please...
Last Post: Traxx
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 236
Views: 54,441
0 Official XL Forum Random Image Thread (NO NUDITY!)
Last Post: Stairman
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 44,936
Views: 7,077,067
0 Hottie of the day, no nudity.
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 13,710
Views: 1,263,118
0 7” Headlight conversion on solid mount
Last Post: Maxeffort
Replies: 5
Views: 106
0 Rush or Khromewerks slip ons?
Last Post: harley506d
Replies: 39
Views: 799
0 Transformer XR1200
Last Post: Davo_137
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 57
Views: 3,955
14 98 just upgraded to 1250 from 1200
Last Post: Highly-Dangerous
Posted On: 6 Hours Ago
Replies: 7
Views: 135
0 ,09 Iron883N idling weird, sputters on accelerating from idle or low revs.
Last Post: tussuck
Posted On: 7 Hours Ago
Replies: 13
Views: 413
0 Show us your Bike next to a Bridge
Last Post: IXL2Relax
Posted On: 7 Hours Ago
Replies: 709
Views: 138,213
0 Show your bike next to an abandoned building
Last Post: Lone Rider
Posted On: 8 Hours Ago
Replies: 46
Views: 11,576
14 Post your Bike in a Cemetary Pic
Last Post: Lone Rider
Posted On: 8 Hours Ago
Replies: 351
Views: 62,870
0 New from Washington
Last Post: DBH
Posted On: 9 Hours Ago
Replies: 10
Views: 111
8 Never Forget
Last Post: Nibelungen
Posted On: 12 Hours Ago
Replies: 35
Views: 1,089
0 trans slips in 2nd gear 1989 883
Last Post: sglock45
Posted On: 13 Hours Ago
Replies: 22
Views: 1,087
0 "The Blues" thread!
Last Post: Graywolf
Replies: 892
Views: 80,609
0 Do Loud Pipes in fact save lives?
Replies: 2,552
Views: 270,010
0 Carb flooding
Last Post: Hippysmack
Replies: 18
Views: 510
0 question about XLCH manuals
Last Post: brucstoudt
Posted On: 14 Hours Ago
Replies: 7
Views: 226
0 2019 York Bike Week (9/18-21)
Last Post: IXL2Relax
Replies: 2
Views: 257
0 Chain kit
Last Post: wrkdWS6
Replies: 15
Views: 344
0 dual carb heads on ebay
Last Post: brucstoudt
Replies: 6
Views: 471
0 Hot Chicks on Hot Bikes
Replies: 10,249
Views: 1,752,137
0 Iree's late night cafe
Last Post: rokytnji
Posted On: 15 Hours Ago
Replies: 1,297
Views: 161,191
0 Shoei GT-Air II FF Helmet Review
Last Post: Glamazon
Posted On: 15 Hours Ago
Replies: 3
Views: 99
More...
Tags
blast

Sponsored Links

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 3 Weeks Ago
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: presently none
Sportster/Buell Year: 1958
Bruce Clarke is an unknown quantity at this point

How's that Blast doing?
Old 2 Weeks Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: Blast
Sportster/Buell Year: 2002
Other Motorcycle Model: Honda CB400 rat
Other Motorcycle Year: 1980
Hornsmith is an unknown quantity at this point

Progress has been slow, but I'm startin to pick it up again. I ended up getting promoted at that camp to head cook and then stayed an extra two weeks! A blessing and a curse for sure, as head cook doesn't have as much time to work on project bikes in the parking lot XD
However, I'm home now and have my full arsenal of tools. Now I'm just taking out the primary to put in a new shifter shaft, as the old one was bent and had a bunch of the splines worn off.
I'm also putting in the barnett kevlar extra plate clutch, and a heavier spring. Putting in the new clutch is quite simple, but as for the heavier diaphragm spring, it looks to be a lot smaller diameter... The notches on the spring do line up with the clutch hubs teeth (or whatever they're called), but it's a might bit smaller in diameter. Is that fine?
Anywho, when I got back from camp I had that motorcycle itch and couldn't wait to fix this bike to go for a ride, so I took a few consecutive road trips around the state on my ol honda. The hunger for riding has been temporarily satiated, and this blast should be done pretty soon I'm hoping, then I'll do some real riding on it.

Blasting around the garage, and soon, the streets!
Old 2 Weeks Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

One more thing of importance! During the move between home and camp and home again I appear to have misplaced a bag of bolts that I had removed from the rocker box. in the photo below it's the 5 bolts with the bright green circles drawn around them:

I tried to look online to find the sizes for these bolts, but there're a lot bolts on this thing, and my search came up with several different sizes and nothing conclusive. If any happens to know what sizes they are (or has a good guess) let me know eh

*edit*
Actually I just test fit a few bolts and I definitely found the right ones. So that's nice eh

Last edited by Hornsmith; 2 Weeks Ago at 21:54..
Old 2 Weeks Ago
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: 883/1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 1992
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Sportster 883/1200
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1988
Other Motorcycle Model: Yamaha XS 650
Other Motorcycle Year: 1982
ken883/1200 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hornsmith View Post
One more thing of importance! During the move between home and camp and home again I appear to have misplaced a bag of bolts that I had removed from the rocker box. in the photo below it's the 5 bolts with the bright green circles drawn around them:

I tried to look online to find the sizes for these bolts, but there're a lot bolts on this thing, and my search came up with several different sizes and nothing conclusive. If any happens to know what sizes they are (or has a good guess) let me know eh

*edit*
Actually I just test fit a few bolts and I definitely found the right ones. So that's nice eh
That's why if tearing down something that might be apart for more than a day I like to use sandwich baggies and scrap paper to label what the bolts go to so I don't have as many problems when reassembling something.
Old 2 Weeks Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Oddly enough, I actually did separate bolts and put them in sandwich bags, sorted into what part of the bike they were from. However I still somehow put those five bolts elsewhere. Labeling would have probably helped though, for sure.

Also, I just finished up all the work on the motor and primary, now I've just gotta put the engine back in the frame, fix up all the wiring, sort out my carburetor and get the ignition done! I guess that's a pretty big list. And I suppose I'll be doing some work on the seat to make it nicer. And maybe make a good harness for my saddlebags. But still, progress!
Old 2 Weeks Ago
Air-Cooled Forever

Sportster/Buell Model: XL 1200 C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
Sportster/Buell Model #2: (Prev.Own)XLH Milw.Spec.
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1981
Toejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond repute

You didn't put a sandwich in with the bolts and give it out in the serving line, did you?

Sorry, couldn't pass that one up.
Sponsored Links
Old 1 Week Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Haha! I sure hope not XD

Additionally, lots of progress on the blast. I made a 'muffler' out of a cool looking metal thing I found at a thrift store as well as wrapped the header. Pretty much because I think it looks cool. Also, the new swingarm that I've put on it looks fantastic. The swingarm is from an xb12x (Ulysses) so it makes it way longer and the shock that's currently on it raises the back a lot, giving it a real streetfighter stance. It's a bit much at the moment, and will probably make it handle much worse until I get that sorted out. Also, it makes the tire a more accessible 17 inch rim size instead of the awkward 16 inch. The current shock is from a cbr600 from the 80s and is also waay to stiff, so it'll definitely have to go.

Also the headlight was super wack, being an led clearly not designed for this model, and the top was off by about 15 degrees. The bulb inside was offset correctly so that it was fine, but I could not stand how the letters 'top' were not at the top, so I opened that sucker up and fixed it. I had to Dremel a bit to make it work it's all well and good now.

Also, I lowered the headlight brackets all the way to the bottom, so they're resting on the triple tree down there, and way lower to the ground. The light is more exposed now, and so I'm gonna put a rock guard for security on my off road adventures (Any bike can be a dual sport ;P ). I'm gonna make a new fender out of sheet metal anyway, so I'll extend it a bit as well to be sure. And I made sure there's space for the suspension to compress without smacking the light of course, because that would suck.

I'm also in the process of making and mounting a mini fairing that's gonna be super tall and thin, giving it a look sort of similar to the old custom dyna low riders with risers and bikini fairing. At least that's how it makes me feel, with the tall-ish fairing and the bars being much higher than the headlight. I'm not putting risers on it, but by virtue of the light being lower it kinda gives it that look.

It's got a really mean stance now, and the tiny 16 inch tire in the front accentuates the size of the rear tire, which I really dig.

Here's a pic of the prototype fairing, out of high quality cardboard. The one I make will be aluminum with a brass or copper upper shaped vaguely like a windscreen

Also I'm gonna be putting some moto bars on it, which will be in essentially the same location, but be a little more my style than these wack clubmans.

On a different note, there's been a lot of thunderstorms near my house in Washington these past few days. The booms and cracks are making me itch to start this baby up, but alas I've got a bit more work to do on the carb. Still though, it's very in-theme for a Buell build what with all the Lightnings, Firebolts, and Blasts. I'm gonna have to name this bike, something real good sounding and on the Buell weather theme. If y'all got any ideas let me now in a comment!

Last edited by Hornsmith; 1 Week Ago at 00:46..
Old 1 Week Ago
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: presently none
Sportster/Buell Year: 1958
Bruce Clarke is an unknown quantity at this point

You do know the original name choice for the Blast was Thor right? That is what I'm calling my chopper.
Old 1 Week Ago
Air-Cooled Forever

Sportster/Buell Model: XL 1200 C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
Sportster/Buell Model #2: (Prev.Own)XLH Milw.Spec.
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1981
Toejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond repute

Looks like it's coming along... don't keep us in suspense, did you find that "5 bolts" you were looking for?
Old 2 Days Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Well, it was going great, replaced all the missing bolts, got most of it together, got the bodywork mostly done, lots of good stuff. The other day I even started it, and the motor ran decently after a little fussing. However, now the darn thing won't start at all, no matter what I do. I've checked that it sparks, checked that the float bowl is getting fuel, made sure the jets weren't clogged, everything I can think of. But the darn thing won't start. It doesn't cough, or any of that. The starters spins it, the motor turns, got about 190 something psi in compression, checked the timing, I just don't know anymore. I mean, it started not 3 days ago. I'm finally starting to get annoyed at the thing.
I guess I'll stick the old cv40 on it and see if starts then, but I know that when I started it the other day I was using the newer cv40, so I can't see how that would be causing me issues. I also slowly turned the motor over to listen for clicks or clacks in the head, like valves getting smacked, and got nothing. I'd really rather not pull the engine back out, but I might have to investigate further.
Anything I could be missing?