The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE FORUM > Sportster Motorcycle General Discussion and Problems
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle General Discussion and Problems For discussing problems about your Sportster motorcycle that don't fit anywhere else.

Active Threads
0 Tired of hearing the Sportster is a girls bike (The one and only Girly Bike Thread)
Last Post: boomerguy
Posted On: 12 Minutes Ago
Replies: 3,902
Views: 763,714
0 Need help with S&S GB carb
Last Post: RKN
Posted On: 13 Minutes Ago
Replies: 11
Views: 202
0 Do you have the service manual?
Posted On: 24 Minutes Ago
Replies: 752
Views: 193,794
0 69/50 Fest: The 50th Anniversary of the 1969 Sportster (Fall 2019 GBB) 9/14/19
Last Post: IronMick
Posted On: 36 Minutes Ago
Replies: 54
Views: 3,959
0 Sportster front wheel/tire sizes
Last Post: Davo_137
Posted On: 43 Minutes Ago
Replies: 9
Views: 211
0 Bad Primary Oil Leak
Last Post: GA_Ironhead
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 11
Views: 314
0 Helmets Please...
Last Post: Traxx
Replies: 236
Views: 54,441
0 Official XL Forum Random Image Thread (NO NUDITY!)
Last Post: Stairman
Replies: 44,936
Views: 7,077,067
0 Hottie of the day, no nudity.
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 13,710
Views: 1,263,118
0 7” Headlight conversion on solid mount
Last Post: Maxeffort
Replies: 5
Views: 106
0 Rush or Khromewerks slip ons?
Last Post: harley506d
Replies: 39
Views: 799
0 Transformer XR1200
Last Post: Davo_137
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 57
Views: 3,955
14 98 just upgraded to 1250 from 1200
Last Post: Highly-Dangerous
Posted On: 6 Hours Ago
Replies: 7
Views: 135
0 ,09 Iron883N idling weird, sputters on accelerating from idle or low revs.
Last Post: tussuck
Posted On: 7 Hours Ago
Replies: 13
Views: 413
0 Show us your Bike next to a Bridge
Last Post: IXL2Relax
Posted On: 7 Hours Ago
Replies: 709
Views: 138,213
0 Show your bike next to an abandoned building
Last Post: Lone Rider
Posted On: 8 Hours Ago
Replies: 46
Views: 11,576
14 Post your Bike in a Cemetary Pic
Last Post: Lone Rider
Posted On: 8 Hours Ago
Replies: 351
Views: 62,870
0 New from Washington
Last Post: DBH
Posted On: 9 Hours Ago
Replies: 10
Views: 111
8 Never Forget
Last Post: Nibelungen
Posted On: 12 Hours Ago
Replies: 35
Views: 1,089
0 trans slips in 2nd gear 1989 883
Last Post: sglock45
Posted On: 13 Hours Ago
Replies: 22
Views: 1,087
0 "The Blues" thread!
Last Post: Graywolf
Posted On: 13 Hours Ago
Replies: 892
Views: 80,609
0 Do Loud Pipes in fact save lives?
Posted On: 14 Hours Ago
Replies: 2,552
Views: 270,010
0 Carb flooding
Last Post: Hippysmack
Replies: 18
Views: 510
0 question about XLCH manuals
Last Post: brucstoudt
Replies: 7
Views: 226
0 2019 York Bike Week (9/18-21)
Last Post: IXL2Relax
Replies: 2
Views: 257
0 Chain kit
Last Post: wrkdWS6
Replies: 15
Views: 344
0 dual carb heads on ebay
Last Post: brucstoudt
Replies: 6
Views: 471
0 Hot Chicks on Hot Bikes
Replies: 10,249
Views: 1,752,137
0 Iree's late night cafe
Last Post: rokytnji
Posted On: 15 Hours Ago
Replies: 1,297
Views: 161,191
0 Shoei GT-Air II FF Helmet Review
Last Post: Glamazon
Posted On: 15 Hours Ago
Replies: 3
Views: 99
More...
Sponsored Links

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 1 Week Ago
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200 Custom
Sportster/Buell Year: 2013
epalm is an unknown quantity at this point

So I still don't know what the upper thing is https://i.imgur.com/OFzLf5i.jpg (and IXL2Relax I forgot to look at how many wires and what color they are, I will next time) but the lower one was indeed an add-on for a trickle charger. A really fat one https://i.imgur.com/4HT86zI.jpg that was jammed into the side of the battery tray. That's why it was so hard to get the battery in and out. It's gone now.

Following the earlier thread of "something is shorted" I took the tank off and traced wires, looking for anything frayed or loose or exposed. I found one yellow wire that was pinched under a cable tie https://i.imgur.com/nu0DaBt.jpg but once I freed it, it actually looked ok https://i.imgur.com/NuvmrhZ.jpg (correct me if I'm wrong) so I bundled it with the others and moved on.

I opened up the right hand controls, and it looks like the wire sleave is squished hard against the bar https://i.imgur.com/ZqfzTEj.jpg is it really supposed to be squished there https://i.imgur.com/fAA7d4k.jpg or is there another place those wires should be routed? Here's a shot from the other side https://i.imgur.com/JcH3toH.jpg and the wires going to the Run/Stop and the Start buttons look fine.

After not finding anything obvious, I reinstalled the right hand controls and the tank, and... the damn thing started right up. Dammit.

I didn't really do anything, other than taking things apart and putting them back together. I didn't really find the problem, so I'm just setting myself up to be stranded somewhere, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikeaholic View Post
Hi,
I think the upper red box is a connector for a security alarm.
If the bike did not come with the factory alarm, as mine did not, this should allow you to install one if you choose too.
What's strange is I think the bike once had a security alarm. When I turn it off, a few seconds later, the lights blink twice, as if it's "arming". And if I move the bike (e.g. put it upright) without the fob nearby, the red key illuminates and the lights blink rapidly as if it's "alarming" but there's no sound. In this photo https://i.imgur.com/WJllCtC.jpg that mess of electrical tape are the tail light and rear blinkers, but the other two I don't recognize, which might be remnants of the alarm?
Old 1 Week Ago
Biker

vt883 is a jewel in the roughvt883 is a jewel in the roughvt883 is a jewel in the roughvt883 is a jewel in the roughvt883 is a jewel in the roughvt883 is a jewel in the roughvt883 is a jewel in the roughvt883 is a jewel in the roughvt883 is a jewel in the roughvt883 is a jewel in the roughvt883 is a jewel in the rough

The bike can still have security and not make any sounds. The siren is an added feature that doesn't come standard on the bikes. It sounds like yours does have security on it. Once you get the starting/short issue fixed you can test for it by leaving the fob away from the bike then try to start it. If it has security you have to have the fob near it for the bike to start.
Old 1 Week Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster 883►1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 1994
IXL2Relax has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by epalm View Post
the lower one was indeed an add-on for a trickle charger. A really fat one https://i.imgur.com/4HT86zI.jpg
That's a very normal cable for a trickle charger - It is also often used for accessory connections - I have one added on my bike for heated gloves... I see that cable had some slices to the sleeve - was it that way to begin with or did that happen when removing it?

That's not the double wire you pictured that was cut off - Did you find what the Cut Wire was to or from?

Quote:
Following the earlier thread of "something is shorted" - SNIP - but once I freed it, it actually looked ok https://i.imgur.com/NuvmrhZ.jpg
As long as the insulation was intact, no chance of shorting - but overtightening zip ties can sometimes cause internal breaks in the wires - Not likely to be an issue here though...

If the wires inside the right-hand controls were not cut, then pinching them was probably not the source of the short...

Quote:
After not finding anything obvious, I reinstalled the right hand controls and the tank, and... the damn thing started right up. Dammit.

I didn't really do anything, other than taking things apart and putting them back together. I didn't really find the problem, so I'm just setting myself up to be stranded somewhere, right?
That is always frustrating - Track down those cut wires - Time will tell if the shorting issue was intermittent or you moved the right wires to a better position...

IXL _______ >>>> My Motorcycle Chronicles Are Here <<<<
For FREE Sportster Tech Info from the XLForum:
Explore The Sportsterpedia - The Best Kept Secret on the XLForum!
Old 1 Week Ago
XL FORUM LIFE MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: xl1250
Sportster/Buell Year: 2008
Bikeaholic has much to be proud ofBikeaholic has much to be proud ofBikeaholic has much to be proud ofBikeaholic has much to be proud ofBikeaholic has much to be proud ofBikeaholic has much to be proud ofBikeaholic has much to be proud ofBikeaholic has much to be proud ofBikeaholic has much to be proud ofBikeaholic has much to be proud ofBikeaholic has much to be proud of

There is no remnats of the alarm because it possibly was never fitted. (Same as my 2008) If the alarm was connected it would be under, or near under the battery. Beside the TSM ( turn security module ) The siren is rather large an easy to spot from the left side. So..it would be fitted under the battery tray on left side of the bike. The Connector in the red box is the siren connector. I stumbled accross this some time back and did not know what it was at first. Just slide the cap back and see the connector. I have purchased a cheap tiny siren but have not bothered to experiment yet.

As for the ( mess of electrical tape )... the rectangular shape box ( looks like it a bar code on the case ), this is the Anntena for the security. The other little connector near it, i forget although i know i opened it up once. I think it was to be a charging connector. USB type but not sure. Maybe open it up and have a look.

#Also it is worthwhile to check the wiring from the Anntena down to the TSM ( under the battery) This is not too hard to do.
Make sure it feeds between oil tank and frame and not pinched between fender and frame crossmember. Mine was installed wrongly from the factory and installed on the left side and severely pinched ( more like crushed )and was was impossible to slide at all. I replaced mine correctly. The MoCo manual says it is to travel on the right side. Like your is.
Old 6 Days Ago
XL FORUM LIFE MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: xl1250
Sportster/Buell Year: 2008
Bikeaholic has much to be proud ofBikeaholic has much to be proud ofBikeaholic has much to be proud ofBikeaholic has much to be proud ofBikeaholic has much to be proud ofBikeaholic has much to be proud ofBikeaholic has much to be proud ofBikeaholic has much to be proud ofBikeaholic has much to be proud ofBikeaholic has much to be proud ofBikeaholic has much to be proud of

I had a look at my bike this morning. I find the other connector beside the Security Antenna is the 'fuel sender resister.' Not a connector for a usb that i thought it may be. Mine is in a different location to yours.

If you are so inclined, you can get on to Ronnie's Harley Davidson's Parts Finder.
Just print in your year and model. Many diagrams etc. As my model is some years earlier, this site will give you more recent information.
All the best.
Old 6 Days Ago
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200 Custom
Sportster/Buell Year: 2013
epalm is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by IXL2Relax View Post
That's a very normal cable for a trickle charger - It is also often used for accessory connections - I have one added on my bike for heated gloves... I see that cable had some slices to the sleeve - was it that way to begin with or did that happen when removing it?
Happened when removing it (I'm 90% sure?).

Quote:
That's not the double wire you pictured that was cut off - Did you find what the Cut Wire was to or from?
The cut wires (red/black in a black sleeve) ran inside the plastic cover under the tank where all the other wires are (what's that called?), from the front of the tank to near the battery tray. Both ends were just raw snipped wires, they didn't connect to anything. I removed them entirely.

Quote:
As long as the insulation was intact, no chance of shorting - but overtightening zip ties can sometimes cause internal breaks in the wires - Not likely to be an issue here though...

If the wires inside the right-hand controls were not cut, then pinching them was probably not the source of the short...

That is always frustrating - Track down those cut wires - Time will tell if the shorting issue was intermittent or you moved the right wires to a better position...
Rode to work today and yesterday, no problems... yet...

I'm a software engineer and it drives me nuts when things get "magically fixed" without actually explicitly being fixed, because you haven't learned anything, and you're just waiting for it to happen again.

Quote:
There is no remnats of the alarm because it possibly was never fitted. (Same as my 2008) If the alarm was connected it would be under, or near under the battery. Beside the TSM ( turn security module ) The siren is rather large an easy to spot from the left side. So..it would be fitted under the battery tray on left side of the bike. The Connector in the red box is the siren connector.
Quote:
#Also it is worthwhile to check the wiring from the Anntena down to the TSM ( under the battery) This is not too hard to do.
Make sure it feeds between oil tank and frame and not pinched between fender and frame crossmember.
Thanks, I'll look for the alarm/siren under the battery. And make sure the wires run from the antenna cleanly without pinching.