The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE FORUM > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Notices

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Active Threads
0 Transformer XR1200
Last Post: jkinkade
Posted On: 4 Minutes Ago
Replies: 591
Views: 78,453
0 Keep & Kill
Last Post: Graywolf
Posted On: 9 Minutes Ago
Replies: 24,057
Views: 1,418,068
0 Easy start cam choice
Last Post: cazz1000
Posted On: 15 Minutes Ago
Replies: 76
Views: 1,822
0 What song do you have stuck in your head?
Last Post: Steve9
Posted On: 30 Minutes Ago
Replies: 2,387
Views: 247,237
0 05 1200R cylinder oil leak and clacking
Last Post: Hippysmack
Posted On: 37 Minutes Ago
Replies: 59
Views: 3,684
0 I bought a Sportster last month, but I don't know what to do now, when it leaked the
Last Post: NLXL
Posted On: 49 Minutes Ago
Replies: 35
Views: 1,684
0 Video - Rear Suspension Sag - Does It Really Matter?
Last Post: DK Custom
Posted On: 50 Minutes Ago
Replies: 0
Views: 2
0 XR-1000 restoration guide?
Last Post: JOHNNY YUMA
Posted On: 55 Minutes Ago
Replies: 10
Views: 1,237
0 Anyone go racing last weekend?
Last Post: cycowrencher
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 3,360
Views: 375,793
0 This week on Craig's list
Last Post: brucstoudt
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 5,341
Views: 857,944
0 Single fire dual fire ignition
Last Post: Ferrous Head
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 5
Views: 129
0 1979 iron head sportster exhaust
Replies: 2
Views: 109
0 Help & advice needed
Replies: 9
Views: 274
0 Back to factory ign mod help
Last Post: IXL2Relax
Replies: 2
Views: 61
0 Power Vision map for Hammer 1275
Last Post: John Harper
Views: 118
0 1972 Build thread please subscribe
Last Post: Gold Member
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 163
Views: 21,810
0 Wire wheel hubs
Last Post: LenC
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Views: 34
0 Iree's late night cafe
Last Post: ~Grind~
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 2,084
Views: 337,942
0 teflon buttons or circlips?
Last Post: thefrenchowl
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Replies: 14
Views: 451
0 Sources for new/used cast front wheels
Last Post: 84rzv500r
Posted On: 11 Hours Ago
Views: 226
0 This is gonna hurt.
Last Post: speedyrette
Posted On: 16 Hours Ago
Replies: 8,833
Views: 2,044,674
0 2008 xl1200c
Last Post: Tyler45
Posted On: 16 Hours Ago
Replies: 7
Views: 259
0 The Strociek Project
Posted On: 17 Hours Ago
Replies: 43
Views: 2,193
0 Best head casting for porting Question
Last Post: ryder rick
Posted On: 19 Hours Ago
Replies: 88
Views: 17,989
0 Upper Support Bracket Installation
Posted On: 20 Hours Ago
Replies: 31
Views: 1,254
0 Where To Get Free Air
Last Post: RockerRider
Posted On: 20 Hours Ago
Views: 82
0 My 99 883 c
Last Post: 99-883-c
Posted On: 22 Hours Ago
Replies: 37
Views: 2,434
0 Shovster build take2
Last Post: RicThompson
Posted On: 1 Day Ago
Replies: 254
Views: 28,873
0 Hot Rods, Rat Rods, and Customs.
Last Post: IvanIron
Replies: 4,686
Views: 881,280
0 Engine oil getting into primary help
Last Post: andy2175m4
Replies: 85
Views: 4,549
More...
Members Birthdays
yeller1200, IronMick (79), painter (72), motobob883 (69), rickxx (67), MRCLEEN (49), Wetcheez (48), hello_shoes (41)

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 6 Days Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1969
Other Motorcycle Model: Panhead EL
Other Motorcycle Year: 1948
Doc308 is a name known to allDoc308 is a name known to allDoc308 is a name known to allDoc308 is a name known to allDoc308 is a name known to allDoc308 is a name known to allDoc308 is a name known to allDoc308 is a name known to allDoc308 is a name known to allDoc308 is a name known to allDoc308 is a name known to all

That rear wheel should turn with little effort if in 4th gear. To start with the obvious, make sure that the tire is not too close to the jack--it could be rubbing there or the wheel may not be far enough off of the ground. If the difficulty is not that and the wheel also doesn't spin freely in neutral, check your brake adjustment--back it way off to insure that the shoes aren't rubbing inside of the drum. If you do that and the difficulty continues, inspect the brakes to insure that something isn't frozen inside. Once to get the wheel spinning properly, be sure that you set the timing on the front cylinder compression stroke. You can use your thumb on the spark plug hole as suggested but you can't do that while turning the wheel. What I do is to open up the front intake pushrod cover and as you turn the wheel watch for the pushrod to drop ( I put a clothespin on the pushrod --it's easier to see when you're behind the bike turning the wheel). Once that is at its lowest position, you are on the front cylinder compression stroke and the timing mark will appear in the hole fairly quickly.
Old 2 Days Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Year: 1973
73HEAD is a glorious beacon of light73HEAD is a glorious beacon of light73HEAD is a glorious beacon of light73HEAD is a glorious beacon of light73HEAD is a glorious beacon of light73HEAD is a glorious beacon of light73HEAD is a glorious beacon of light73HEAD is a glorious beacon of light73HEAD is a glorious beacon of light73HEAD is a glorious beacon of light73HEAD is a glorious beacon of light

howdy. when i spin my rear wheel in nuetral it seems to bind once every revolution. i back off brake adjuster and it still rubs. is it the chain.? or is the rear brake not centered correctly.?? there is no external interference obvious. (73 xlh ). any tips on things to look for would be great. cheers
Old 2 Days Ago
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

ryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond repute

Does the chain go rigid at a certain point in wheel rotation?
Old 2 Days Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

73HEAD is a glorious beacon of light73HEAD is a glorious beacon of light73HEAD is a glorious beacon of light73HEAD is a glorious beacon of light73HEAD is a glorious beacon of light73HEAD is a glorious beacon of light73HEAD is a glorious beacon of light73HEAD is a glorious beacon of light73HEAD is a glorious beacon of light73HEAD is a glorious beacon of light73HEAD is a glorious beacon of light

hi rick. its sort of an old chain probably 20 years old. a 530 diamond with the square rivets and flat links, not like the figure 8 looking chains. i pulled it off last week and gave it a full on clean and oiled it back right up. there is a couple of mild links that are stiffer than others though. but as far as any links being rigid, no mate. i have a good 530 off a bonny thats in good nick and a new diamond, but neither have the beef that the one on it now has. i probably should just put the new on on and compare hey
Old 2 Days Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

another thing i am experiencing is with the clutch. i put in new steels and fibres a couple thousand ks ago and for the life of me cant adjust the drag out. i have the fm and have read and watched everything i can find on these clutches. i understand we are deal with old machinery and they are tempramental. does it make any difference while tranny warm versus hot when adjusting? the free play we speak of in the release mechanism screw. seems the more there the more drag. at present after last adjustment there is the bare minimum but have about 3mm play at the cable at the case and about the same at hand lever. all appears well there. apart from the standard drag making the bike wanto walk i find that when coming to a stop with the clutch pulled in just before full stop it feel like its binding as it goes round. more pronounced in 1st than second. i can find neutral well with a blip while downshifting but the sensation i feel when coming to a stop in first is scaring me. im using good quality straight 50 oil is at correct level. if i screw release screw in a tad to where there would be no free play there. will i do damage. i have standard size spacers in and the 74 style pressure plate
Old 2 Days Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1976
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 74/5
paulc has a reputation beyond reputepaulc has a reputation beyond reputepaulc has a reputation beyond reputepaulc has a reputation beyond reputepaulc has a reputation beyond reputepaulc has a reputation beyond reputepaulc has a reputation beyond reputepaulc has a reputation beyond reputepaulc has a reputation beyond reputepaulc has a reputation beyond reputepaulc has a reputation beyond repute

I always had trouble adjusting clutch as per fsm. Since I used piniongears method all has been good.
Look in the stickys at the top of the IH page, somewhere there you'll find a walkthrough for wet clutch adjustment by piniongear. Well worth a try.
Paul

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Old 1 Day Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Year: 1969
Other Motorcycle Model: Panhead EL
Other Motorcycle Year: 1948
Doc308 is a name known to allDoc308 is a name known to allDoc308 is a name known to allDoc308 is a name known to allDoc308 is a name known to allDoc308 is a name known to allDoc308 is a name known to allDoc308 is a name known to allDoc308 is a name known to allDoc308 is a name known to allDoc308 is a name known to all

If the wheel binds when you are in neutral there is something amiss with the brake or ,as noted, the chain. There is a procedure to center the rear brake. Loosen the axle and adjusting nuts on the backing plate. Give the wheel a good spin. Then apply the brake solidly. While holding the brake on , tighten the adjuster and and axle nuts. You may want to do this with the chain disconnected as well to rule out a chain issue. If the problem improves slightly, run through the procedure again. If the problem is the same, without the chain connected, and the you have centered the brake shoes, there is something going on inside of the drum and you'll need to remove the wheel for a thorough inspection/ cleaning.
Old 1 Day Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

thanks boys. i will go out the shed later and do the wheel/brake thingy. appreciate all the feedback. will let ya all know the story. cheers...
Old 1 Day Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: sportster xlch
Sportster/Buell Year: 1970
Sportster/Buell Model #2: sportster xlh
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 73
Other Motorcycle Model: 99 inch sportster
Other Motorcycle Year: 2003
sungod has a brilliant futuresungod has a brilliant futuresungod has a brilliant futuresungod has a brilliant futuresungod has a brilliant futuresungod has a brilliant futuresungod has a brilliant futuresungod has a brilliant futuresungod has a brilliant futuresungod has a brilliant futuresungod has a brilliant future
Default timing mark

I use a telescoping mirror pointed at the timing hole while rotating the tire in 4th gear and plugs pulled.Rear wheel drag in neutral should be addressed.