The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > BUELL MOTORCYCLE FORUM > Buell Motorcycle Project
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Notices

Active Threads
0 Keep & Kill
Last Post: Graywolf
Posted On: 3 Minutes Ago
Replies: 24,675
Views: 1,454,789
0 Carb ???
Last Post: Iron Mike
Posted On: 17 Minutes Ago
Replies: 219
Views: 48,870
0 Case bolts and cyl base bolt torque
Last Post: RicThompson
Posted On: 17 Minutes Ago
Replies: 15
Views: 262
0 Automotive Motor Oil In Sportster
Last Post: shanneba
Posted On: 26 Minutes Ago
Replies: 50
Views: 1,663
0 What song do you have stuck in your head?
Last Post: rokytnji
Posted On: 30 Minutes Ago
Replies: 2,420
Views: 257,860
0 2021 Iron Butt Rally
Last Post: ChinCactus
Posted On: 34 Minutes Ago
Replies: 133
Views: 14,018
0 Mainshaft Oil Seal Leak
Last Post: rokytnji
Posted On: 36 Minutes Ago
Replies: 31
Views: 8,515
0 Finally some nice weather in the northeast!
Last Post: mikeLI_77
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 58
Views: 7,028
0 Indicators not flashing
Last Post: bustert
Replies: 2
Views: 59
0 easy rider homage peter fonda ironhead
Last Post: Steve9
Replies: 12
Views: 902
0 It's Glamazon's Birthday!
Last Post: Veeflys
Replies: 9
Views: 101
0 Hottie of the day, no nudity.
Last Post: Stairman
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 32,163
Views: 3,741,523
0 Official XL Forum Random Image Thread (NO NUDITY!)
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 52,018
Views: 8,755,411
0 ....1
Last Post: Graywolf
Posted On: 9 Hours Ago
Replies: 6,267
Views: 379,528
0 Anyone go racing last weekend?
Last Post: sportsterpaul
Posted On: 12 Hours Ago
Replies: 3,406
Views: 385,191
0 First start question
Last Post: 72HOGXLCH
Posted On: 13 Hours Ago
Replies: 66
Views: 2,065
0 1983 Roadster
Last Post: andy2175m4
Posted On: 14 Hours Ago
Replies: 23
Views: 920
0 HSR idle mixture screw
Last Post: Tomcatt
Posted On: 15 Hours Ago
Replies: 7
Views: 198
0 Q cams in 73 xlh ??
Last Post: Ferrous Head
Posted On: 18 Hours Ago
Replies: 53
Views: 2,550
0 Hot Rods, Rat Rods, and Customs.
Posted On: 22 Hours Ago
Replies: 4,739
Views: 914,827
0 XR 750 steering head bearings
Last Post: decman
Posted On: 22 Hours Ago
Replies: 1
Views: 63
0 "S" model specific Q&A
Last Post: Edster
Posted On: 23 Hours Ago
Replies: 2,107
Views: 464,296
5 How do I increase sag ?
Last Post: Tomcatt
Posted On: 1 Day Ago
Replies: 71
Views: 3,934
0 What gas mileage do you get for touring?
Last Post: SonWon
Replies: 156
Views: 62,727
0 Track Bike Build
Last Post: shanneba
Replies: 3
Views: 191
0 Stroker pistons
Last Post: Steve9
Replies: 99
Views: 5,761
0 Pushrod hitting tube
Last Post: DR DICK
Replies: 21
Views: 1,216
0 need help with 68 XLH
Last Post: DR DICK
Replies: 17
Views: 1,118
0 Range With EFI 3.3 Gal Tank
Last Post: Mike1nw
Replies: 97
Views: 73,099
0 who has NOT had problems with the XL
Last Post: handa700
Replies: 770
Views: 220,376
More...
Members Birthdays

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 2nd January 2013
Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: Its Black and shiny
Sportster/Buell Year: 2010
Crosshairs has a reputation beyond reputeCrosshairs has a reputation beyond reputeCrosshairs has a reputation beyond reputeCrosshairs has a reputation beyond reputeCrosshairs has a reputation beyond reputeCrosshairs has a reputation beyond reputeCrosshairs has a reputation beyond reputeCrosshairs has a reputation beyond reputeCrosshairs has a reputation beyond reputeCrosshairs has a reputation beyond reputeCrosshairs has a reputation beyond repute

Nice numbers....
Old 3rd January 2013
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200X Turbo 48
Sportster/Buell Year: 2011
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL1200 Roadster
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2008
Turbo Sporty 48 has disabled reputation
Default Fine Work

Your website http://streetfighterperformance.com/ is an inspiration.
Thanks.
By the dyno traces it looks like the boost kicks in at 4,000 rpm, is that about right? Power seems pretty linear until that point, how does it feel seat of the pants? It must rev quickly to redline at 4k rpm. Curious if street tuning while riding would yield a somewhat different tune. Do you use an accelerometer? Street datalogging?
On another tangent, you did valves like Branch does for turbos, others have suggested bigger exhaust valves relative to intake for quicker, lower rpm spooling, did you consider that?
Would you want the turbo to spool up quicker at a lower rpm or do you like that stable power up to 4,000 rpm for a more streetable bike?
Jason @ Hellcat Customs did my turbo, which I am very happy with.
Turbo charging seems to be somewhat addictive, just want a little more power, hmmm, good.
Old 3rd January 2013
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: Turbo XB12Scg
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
EricZ is a name known to allEricZ is a name known to allEricZ is a name known to allEricZ is a name known to allEricZ is a name known to allEricZ is a name known to allEricZ is a name known to allEricZ is a name known to allEricZ is a name known to allEricZ is a name known to allEricZ is a name known to all

Thanks, guys!! Boost begins building around 3200rpm and begins to really climb around 4000rpm. While it does accelerate VERY quickly after 4k, the power delivery before 4k is very predictable and extremely strong. With the 54" wheelbase, these power levels are already a bit much to keep the front wheel on the ground. That's really how I determine throttle control.

I have and am still spending a good bit of time data logging on the road in addition to the dyno tuning to achieve the final tune. The dyno allows me to quantify the full throttle performance and fine tune the boost curve with the electronic boost controller. It's too difficult to manage data logging, higher boost and higher gear pulls on the road without risking jail time I will also be running it on a Dynojet 250i (has an eddy brake) to verify cylinder-to-cylinder egts and performance when I get the boost curves perfected and am comfortable with my ignition timing.

If you approach dyno tuning properly, there is no difference between how the engine runs on the dyno vs the road. The engine will benefit from the same ignition timing and fueling under a given set of conditions regardless of where it is operating. A free-wheeling dyno can only correctly simulate full throttle acceleration conditions and a dyno with a load controller, like an eddy brake, can simulate any load condition you would ever see on the road.

I chose the larger valve sizes based on the power level I plan to see. I understand the ideas surrounding the relationship between valve sizes and turbo spooling, but I believe the difference is almost unnoticeable when the turbo is properly sized and is mated to an optimized exhaust and intake system.
Old 3rd January 2013
Biker

EricZ is a name known to allEricZ is a name known to allEricZ is a name known to allEricZ is a name known to allEricZ is a name known to allEricZ is a name known to allEricZ is a name known to allEricZ is a name known to allEricZ is a name known to allEricZ is a name known to allEricZ is a name known to all

And you are right, turbos are very addicting!!

The power curve is great for a street machine. I can twist the throttle at any rpm and scoot down the road. If I want to launch into space, I just let it wind up a little more
Old 3rd January 2013
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2002
Sleeper has a reputation beyond reputeSleeper has a reputation beyond reputeSleeper has a reputation beyond reputeSleeper has a reputation beyond reputeSleeper has a reputation beyond reputeSleeper has a reputation beyond reputeSleeper has a reputation beyond reputeSleeper has a reputation beyond reputeSleeper has a reputation beyond reputeSleeper has a reputation beyond reputeSleeper has a reputation beyond repute

The horsepower is great but that much torque is insane.
Awesome job!
Old 3rd January 2013
Chief Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
freeidaho is a splendid one to beholdfreeidaho is a splendid one to beholdfreeidaho is a splendid one to beholdfreeidaho is a splendid one to beholdfreeidaho is a splendid one to beholdfreeidaho is a splendid one to beholdfreeidaho is a splendid one to beholdfreeidaho is a splendid one to beholdfreeidaho is a splendid one to beholdfreeidaho is a splendid one to beholdfreeidaho is a splendid one to behold

Excellent engineering and execution. You are a seriously talented developer.

kr
/-----\ [url]http://www.parmarng.org[/url] ..................... If life throws you a curve, lean into it and apply throttle.
|*------/\ ...............Wouldn't be an economic crisis if you had bought AMERICAN.
|--------| ...............Spent most of my money on cars, motorcycles, guns and girls, the rest I just wasted.
+--------+ ...............Silence is taken as consent. Do you consent? [FONT="Courier New"][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]

[IMG]http://www.parmarng.org/freeidaho/MiscHost/IMG_0676-sm.jpg[/IMG]
Old 4th January 2013
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200X Turbo 48
Sportster/Buell Year: 2011
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL1200 Roadster
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2008
Turbo Sporty 48 has disabled reputation

Are you running the stock .551 cam?
For tuning, do you use exhaust gas temperature sensors? Narrow and wide band sensors, and where, when do you insert them?
Would you please expand a little on the EFI tuning logic as you increase the boost.
Old 4th January 2013
outside the box racing

Sportster/Buell Model: Turbo 1350 XLSR
Sportster/Buell Year: 99
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Turbo 1350 XLDS project
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2000
Other Motorcycle Model: 883->1330 dragster
Other Motorcycle Year: 1991
bitpusher has a brilliant futurebitpusher has a brilliant futurebitpusher has a brilliant futurebitpusher has a brilliant futurebitpusher has a brilliant futurebitpusher has a brilliant futurebitpusher has a brilliant futurebitpusher has a brilliant futurebitpusher has a brilliant futurebitpusher has a brilliant futurebitpusher has a brilliant future

Eric, I also found that the down pipe plays a huge role in spooling. In my case, going from a stub dump to a couple wound feet turned it into a completely (better) engine.

good to see you here for reals.

i think we have the greatest concentration of turbo xl types anywhere on the net.

"Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go." - T. S. Eliot

TGB #8
#1999 1350 APS-PBG AMA/USFRA current
Old 4th January 2013
Biker

I am still running the stock XB .551 lift cams, lifters, pushrods, and rockers. The springs are slightly stiffer beehive units. The titanium retainers literally offset the additional weight of the larger valves.

Here is my tuning approach: The XB ECM is an Alpha-N setup where the main fuel and ignition maps are based on engine rpm and throttle position. They have some unused fuel scaling tables that look at a MAP sensor signal. I enabled those tables and can scale the fueling under boost. They offer a global shift, either + or -, to the fuel values. For example, I have the table set up to make adjustments every 3psi above atmospheric pressure up to 21psi. I can program percentage values such as 100 for no correction, 110 for a 10% increase in fuel, and so on.

I have egt probes for each cylinder, a narrowband after the turbo for the closed loop regions in the ECM, and a wideband after the turbo to monitor the combined A/F ratios at all times. Ultimately, the bike will only retain the narrowband sensor and the wideband and egts will removed. I only use them to tune.

For street data logging to tune the part throttle regions, I disconnect the 0-1 Volt narrowband ecm input and substitute the 0-5 Volt wideband input. The ECM can accept the 0-5 Volt signal but can not use it for closed loop correction. I disable the closed loop functions within the ecm and log the rides using ECMSpy software on my Palm TX mounted to the handlebars. As I ride, I can view RPM and throttle position values on the Palm screen to help maintain a consistent throttle position across as wide a rpm range as possible to log good data for those fuel cells.

After about a 30 minute ride, I upload the logged data into Megalog Viewer and allow it to analyze the data and calculate recommended changes to the fuel mapping. I compare the recommended changes to the current maps, both front and rear, and if one cylinder map has a fuel value that is far from the other cylinder, I make the change to bring those values closer together. If not, I shift both cylinder fuel values in the direction of the recommended change. I then burn the new map and take it for another ride. It took about 6-7 rides to get a very refined fuel map and it behaves excellent.

On the dyno I monitor wideband A/F ratio as well as EGTs. I begin with the base boost pressure determined by the wastegate spring (6psi) and the fuel correction for boost set to 105% at 3psi and 110% at 6psi. I make 2-3 pulls with a warm engine temperature and make changes to the fuel map to achieve the A/F ratio I want. I continue with the base boost pressure until I get the fueling just right. Both front and rear cylinder fuel values are identical for all the full throttle regions.

From there, I turn the boost pressure up in 3psi increments (to match the fuel correction table values under boost) and adjust the fuel percentage correction to achieve the desired A/F ratio.

For all of the dyno pulls, I log EGT data and review it for each set of pulls to ensure I am not running dangerous temperatures (above 1400 degrees F). I have not seen dangerous EGTs yet since I run a very advanced ignition curve. Currently, I run about 32 degrees total advance at 11psi and I probably could push it to 34-36 degrees without detonation. The water injection sprays above 7psi of boost and does a great job at preventing detonation.

One of the last pieces I have to finish building is the mechanical ignition retard assembly, which will rotate the cam position sensor to retard the ignition under higher boost pressures. It will be fully adjustable for base timing, boost onset, rate of retard, and maximum total retard. It will provide me with proper ignition curves (defined by the ECM) for the low boost maps under lower gears up to the maximum boost map in 5th gear.
Old 4th January 2013
outside the box racing

Sportster/Buell Model: Turbo 1350 XLSR
Sportster/Buell Year: 99
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Turbo 1350 XLDS project
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2000
Other Motorcycle Model: 883->1330 dragster
Other Motorcycle Year: 1991
bitpusher has a brilliant futurebitpusher has a brilliant futurebitpusher has a brilliant futurebitpusher has a brilliant futurebitpusher has a brilliant futurebitpusher has a brilliant futurebitpusher has a brilliant futurebitpusher has a brilliant futurebitpusher has a brilliant futurebitpusher has a brilliant futurebitpusher has a brilliant future

hmmm, i did not realize that you were running alpha-N. that brings your setup just a little closer to mine that the EFI XLs that I am surrounded by

i am interested in knowing where you arrived at 1400f as red line. I came to that conclusion as well but by entirely arbitrary guestimation.