The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE FORUM > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Frame Mount EVO Sportster Talk (1986-2003 models)
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Notices

Active Threads
0 Keep & Kill
Last Post: iNSaNeSHaNe
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 24,762
Views: 1,457,723
0 Stroker pistons
Last Post: ryder rick
Replies: 131
Views: 6,959
0 Transmission drain plug
Last Post: ryder rick
Replies: 4
Views: 364
0 Poll: Do you change tires yourself?
Last Post: roadsterboy
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 140
Views: 44,218
0 1975 Sportster
Last Post: alsfarms
Replies: 6
Views: 188
0 MId-range breaking up under acceleration
Last Post: IXL2Relax
Replies: 9
Views: 129
0 2003 Custom 1200
Replies: 1
Views: 47
12 I caught a carburetor THISSSSSS rare
Last Post: Hippysmack
Replies: 14
Views: 150
0 Clutch issue
Last Post: Fivecats
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 2
Views: 34
0 Was your 1st bike a Sportster?
Last Post: SophieWillow
Posted On: 7 Hours Ago
Replies: 1,053
Views: 294,238
3 still not a drop!!! 1979 1000xlh
Last Post: Ferrous Head
Posted On: 7 Hours Ago
Replies: 17
Views: 715
0 1982 Front Hydraulic Master Cylinder
Posted On: 8 Hours Ago
Views: 132
0 Official XL Forum Random Image Thread (NO NUDITY!)
Last Post: ChinCactus
Replies: 52,071
Views: 8,766,867
0 Indicators not flashing
Last Post: IronMick
Replies: 10
Views: 308
0 Gear indicator missing
Replies: 11
Views: 186
0 This is gonna hurt.
Last Post: wedge
Replies: 8,934
Views: 2,080,347
0 Hottie of the day, no nudity.
Last Post: Stairman
Replies: 32,252
Views: 3,755,471
0 Automotive Motor Oil In Sportster
Posted On: 10 Hours Ago
Replies: 65
Views: 2,952
0 What song do you have stuck in your head?
Last Post: iNSaNeSHaNe
Posted On: 12 Hours Ago
Replies: 2,430
Views: 258,887
0 Cannonball Run Winner - 1911 H-D
Last Post: duffy
Posted On: 13 Hours Ago
Replies: 1
Views: 164
0 1982 rubber oil hoses
Posted On: 14 Hours Ago
Replies: 14
Views: 790
0 Bad Vibration & Engine Stumbling 99 Custom 883
Last Post: Porkchop9
Posted On: 15 Hours Ago
Replies: 9
Views: 151
0 1983 Roadster
Last Post: RicThompson
Posted On: 16 Hours Ago
Replies: 38
Views: 1,597
0 video & pics
Last Post: hammer6315
Replies: 446
Views: 45,493
0 Hot Rods, Rat Rods, and Customs.
Last Post: Stairman
Replies: 4,743
Views: 918,208
0 1975 Sportster
Last Post: bustert
Posted On: 17 Hours Ago
Views: 181
0 Power Vision map for Hammer 1275
Last Post: Bikeaholic
Posted On: 18 Hours Ago
Views: 410
0 2012 Sporty 72 Early-Style Springer Install
Last Post: Animosity
Posted On: 19 Hours Ago
Views: 382
0 Hot Chicks on Hot Bikes
Last Post: cal43
Posted On: 20 Hours Ago
Replies: 12,532
Views: 2,923,572
0 easy rider homage peter fonda ironhead
Last Post: 84rzv500r
Posted On: 1 Day Ago
Replies: 26
Views: 1,823
More...
Members Birthdays
Snuffy (72), cabby58 (63), SmoothyB (54), johnnyB (52), cayey (51), BIGschwerm (45), chief (45), Sporty Accorn (45), Muddypunk (36), Andreas (34)
Tags
cv carb

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26th March 2010
Senior Chief Know It All

Gone has much to be proud ofGone has much to be proud ofGone has much to be proud ofGone has much to be proud ofGone has much to be proud ofGone has much to be proud ofGone has much to be proud ofGone has much to be proud ofGone has much to be proud ofGone has much to be proud ofGone has much to be proud of
Default CV Carb help

I have little experience with CV carb, but after getting into mine I'll ask your help. On the side
of the carb is written in Sharpie 175/50. I found a tare in the slide diaphram, and a mushy acc pump.
it has a 48 in place of the 50 (low idle) for last summers riding. The A/F plug has been drilled. The
needle is nearly seated. 1/16 of a turn to seat. I replace the diaphram (old was metal) with genuine H-D
(dumb ass me) they're spendy. Old one has a hole diameter from 3/32 but not 7/64. The hole being the one
I guess gets drilled sometimes. Pipes have no crossover. I question would be about the A/F adjustment, book says 2.5 to
three turns out. http://i1034.photobucket.com/albums/...d/DSC00250.jpg
Old 26th March 2010
Proud 2000 XLH 1430 Owner

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH 1430
Sportster/Buell Year: 2000
Other Motorcycle Model: Piaggio X9 250
Other Motorcycle Year: 2004
AussieGazza is just really niceAussieGazza is just really niceAussieGazza is just really niceAussieGazza is just really niceAussieGazza is just really niceAussieGazza is just really niceAussieGazza is just really niceAussieGazza is just really niceAussieGazza is just really niceAussieGazza is just really niceAussieGazza is just really nice

Welcome. I also have a 2000 and have plenty of experience with them.
Change screws over to allen head bolts so you can easily tune it whilst on the bike.

What has been done to the bike (AC/pipes 883/1200 etc)?

Looks like the idle jet is too large. Go down to a 45 and set to 2.5-3 turns.

There is a sticky for tuning 101 worth reading.

Garry

I'm not a complete idiot -- Some parts are missing (but on order from EBay).

Supertrapp 2-1 with 18 plates and closed end cap, 11.5" 412 Progressive with Heavy Duty springs and Progressive fork springs. Mikuni 45carb/SE 44 manifold. NRHS 88" with Stage 2 ported 04 heads with 15 degree squish band, SE .536 cams, crane roller rockers and lifters, NRHS Hurricane Adj Pushrods and Collapsible Covers. Ultima prog ign. 180 main jet, 3 turns, 20 idle jet and 97 needle at 3rd notch. AIM 240 Clutch. LRB Z Plus Brake Pads on dual front brakes. Kuryakyn Boss Blade Levers + Forcewinder XR A/C.
Old 26th March 2010
Senior Chief Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH 1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 1994
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLH 883 Deluxe - sold now
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1986
Other Motorcycle Model: FXDWGi
Other Motorcycle Year: 2004
CharlieB is just really niceCharlieB is just really niceCharlieB is just really niceCharlieB is just really niceCharlieB is just really niceCharlieB is just really niceCharlieB is just really niceCharlieB is just really niceCharlieB is just really niceCharlieB is just really niceCharlieB is just really nice

From messing with a few of these.... getting the HD diaphragm might be a good thing. Many, but not all, of the "aftermarket" ones have a thicker, stiffer diaphragm material, which causes the slide to react differently.

You don't need to drill the slider, it works just fine as designed.

I don't know what a mushy accelerator pump is... it either works or not. The diaphragm in that can be changed, also its spring can be changed. If you twist the throttle and fuel sprays from the pedestal (nozzle) at the opening to the carbs throat, its working.

Some folks will go a larger jet in winter, but.. 48-50 is not a huge difference. The intermediate jet will greatly effect fuel economy btw.

The IDLE mixture screw has been known to be quite lean on a lot of those carbs. My own was just as yours was, and it ran horribly until I opened it to about 2-1/2 turns from "lightly" seated. I found no huge difference going to 3 turns, or even back to 2-1/4 turns, so I just left it at 2-1/2 - midway sort of. Your own may or may not like it that way.

A 50 intermediate sounds a bit big on a mildly modded engine - open breathing intake and exhaust. This is where some tuning, some playing will tell you whats best. I found summer a 44/175 works ok for me, with the needle in the slider shimmed about .033" with a small nylon washer. Dont get carried away with shims trying to find super thin washers. Raising it by .030 or so at a time is fine. Thats about 1mm. You wont need to raise it a whole lot past .050 (just under 1.5mm). Raising it, has the effect of bringing the main nozzle into play at lower flows, allows using smaller intermediate to be used. FWIW, nothing cured the farts until I simply raised the needle a little.
Old 26th March 2010
Senior Chief Know It All

Gone has much to be proud ofGone has much to be proud ofGone has much to be proud ofGone has much to be proud ofGone has much to be proud ofGone has much to be proud ofGone has much to be proud ofGone has much to be proud ofGone has much to be proud ofGone has much to be proud ofGone has much to be proud of

sorry forgot K-N air filter (883) I would guess no major mods. pipes no cross over.

mushy being rubber separating from the fiber (particals)

as for drilling, I do not no what factory hole size is, whether the guy drilled it before.

Thank you
Old 26th March 2010
Senior Chief Know It All

I'll check that sticky out, thanks

I dont think a major has been done. 883, K-N A/C, and pipes but I dont know what they are.

Old 26th March 2010
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster 1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 06
milmat1 has a reputation beyond reputemilmat1 has a reputation beyond reputemilmat1 has a reputation beyond reputemilmat1 has a reputation beyond reputemilmat1 has a reputation beyond reputemilmat1 has a reputation beyond reputemilmat1 has a reputation beyond reputemilmat1 has a reputation beyond reputemilmat1 has a reputation beyond reputemilmat1 has a reputation beyond reputemilmat1 has a reputation beyond repute

The mixture screw is turned all the way in trying to overcome the fact that the #48 is TOO rich for the bike. A 45 or 42 should be more consistant with what I have seen..

The Adjustment should be done like in the sticky, but basicaly I turn it in (lean) until it stumbles then back out 1/4 to 1/2 turn. This winds up being just on the lean side of Good.
Your Plugs will tell you what you need. and Plug test each circuit seperately. One test staying on the idle circuit, one test on the needle (midrange) and a test of the main jet during WOT ..