The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE FORUM > Lubrication and Lubricants
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Notices

Lubrication and Lubricants You guessed. Here is where everyone can argue over oil.

Active Threads
0 Keep & Kill
Last Post: fafcpa
Posted On: 7 Minutes Ago
Replies: 20,254
Views: 1,205,390
0 1250 Unhappiness 2020 edition
Last Post: John Harper
Posted On: 10 Minutes Ago
Replies: 50
Views: 2,236
0 Official XL Forum Random Image Thread (NO NUDITY!)
Last Post: Graywolf
Posted On: 18 Minutes Ago
Replies: 49,851
Views: 8,142,105
0 Woke, cancel culture...
Last Post: NLXL
Posted On: 45 Minutes Ago
Replies: 31
Views: 1,045
0 This place still sucks!!!
Last Post: sportsterpaul
Posted On: 46 Minutes Ago
Replies: 6
Views: 59
0 WTF Happened
Last Post: sportsterpaul
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 1,258
Views: 221,920
0 Can you ID this bike?
Last Post: Ireeman
Replies: 13
Views: 258
0 0Salt Flat Sporton
Last Post: Ferrous Head
Replies: 31
Views: 721
0 Shady shifter shaft
Last Post: Captain Johnny
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 7
Views: 176
4 Rear Lighting WIRING help
Last Post: Cosmo Kramer
Replies: 17
Views: 367
0 Iree's late night cafe
Last Post: Ireeman
Replies: 1,817
Views: 264,422
0 Hottie of the day, no nudity.
Last Post: SCarty
Replies: 27,163
Views: 2,820,394
0 This week on Craig's list
Last Post: brucstoudt
Replies: 5,122
Views: 761,074
0 Tire Pressure 1979 XLH
Last Post: ThenCameHarry
Replies: 0
Views: 27
0 Video - Does your bike REALLY need an oil cooler?
Last Post: DK Custom
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 0
Views: 25
0 DK Customs Air Intake
Last Post: AZbiker
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 5
Views: 370
0 What Sort Of Sporty Have You Got?
Last Post: Blacky
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 1,166
Views: 366,660
0 Official XLForum Poll: What kind of bars are you running?
Last Post: XL_1200C
Replies: 667
Views: 168,980
0 Best seat for long rides
Last Post: rokytnji
Replies: 140
Views: 35,870
0 Starter motor brushes? (UK)
Last Post: Loony
Replies: 8
Views: 53
0 Chinese S&S carbs
Last Post: needspeed
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Replies: 221
Views: 18,174
0 83 XLH w/Velorex 562
Last Post: Scott
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Replies: 17
Views: 1,006
0 Rear shocks ?
Last Post: Wiktor
Posted On: 7 Hours Ago
Replies: 4
Views: 104
0 New to me 1975 sporster xlh
Last Post: Steve9
Posted On: 7 Hours Ago
Replies: 28
Views: 1,493
0 Pictures of Evos that look Like Ironheads
Last Post: 45Brit
Posted On: 8 Hours Ago
Replies: 108
Views: 43,948
0 Can't clear unread messages
Last Post: Brad
Posted On: 8 Hours Ago
Replies: 2
Views: 81
0 Corona Virus
Last Post: Akdawg
Posted On: 9 Hours Ago
Replies: 1,241
Views: 122,451
0 KT - 2021 - You're In It Now
Last Post: IXL2Relax
Posted On: 10 Hours Ago
Replies: 8
Views: 968
0 Mikuni HSR42 will not idle
Last Post: sungod
Posted On: 12 Hours Ago
Replies: 13
Views: 542
0 never mind
Last Post: rejeanprimeau
Posted On: 14 Hours Ago
Replies: 268
Views: 43,156
More...
Members Birthdays
Mr.Gordon, rayzer13 (58), GrumpyCoyote (52), billet93 (48), beast1 (47), Barney_rubble23 (47), DDT (43), mgaworecki (42), superman5a (40), Phoenix81 (40)

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 6 Days Ago
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH 883
Sportster/Buell Year: 2003
dt.15r is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Leaking oil line replacement lead to Knocking sound.

Hello, XLH community. Im fairly new to the community. I recently replaced my oil lines which were leaking. So I started off with 3 quarts like suggested. Replaced the 3/8 line and 1/2 line. (Not filling the tank to the full 3.5) As I start wrapping everything up im checking for leaks and such and I see none. I take it down the block 3-4 times all happy that it wasn't leaking. Then I noticed a small drop coming from the oil cap (note: initially started with 3 quarts) The oil was coming out from the oil cap. So I started cleaning the cap seeing the oil get higher and higher so I got confused. I went out to ride it again when I noticed there were no oil leaks after I wiped the cap. Going all out full throttle with the thought of it being fixed( for about 3-5 mins). So I come home I start hearing a knocking sound and small smoke coming from behind the battery (im assuming, its the oil coming from the oil tank cap and going down behind the battery.) Come to realize I hooked up the return output to the feed output. And The feed output to the return output. So im here now with an answer on why I got the overfilling of the oil tank. But the question is: what got messed up in the absence of the oil lubrication that leads the bike to knock. Currently going to replace the oil lines to the correct outputs to see if the noise goes away with the proper lubrication. Diving deeper into the manual I found some good reference pictures I wish I saw sooner. (Messed up thinking it was an easy job, turned it into a load of a job) Thank you for taking the time of your day to read this thread. I wish everyone a good weekend. Looking forward to resolving this problem.
Old 6 Days Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: Xl1250S
Sportster/Buell Year: 98
Other Motorcycle Model: Kawasaki Vulcan 500
Other Motorcycle Year: 95
Hippysmack has a reputation beyond reputeHippysmack has a reputation beyond reputeHippysmack has a reputation beyond reputeHippysmack has a reputation beyond reputeHippysmack has a reputation beyond reputeHippysmack has a reputation beyond reputeHippysmack has a reputation beyond reputeHippysmack has a reputation beyond reputeHippysmack has a reputation beyond reputeHippysmack has a reputation beyond reputeHippysmack has a reputation beyond repute

Your whole motor could be fxxxxed.
Rod bearings, crank bearings, cam bearings and the oil pump would be concerns to me afterwards.

Depending on how long and to what degree you went 'all out' will determine how much damage if was done.
Sometimes if the motor locks up from no oil, it may simmer down once it's cooled down with fresh oil.
Sometimes not.

In Search of Fuel, Sunshine and a Steady Idle.

Last edited by Hippysmack; 6 Days Ago at 22:08..
Old 6 Days Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL77.2R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
rejeanprimeau has a reputation beyond reputerejeanprimeau has a reputation beyond reputerejeanprimeau has a reputation beyond reputerejeanprimeau has a reputation beyond reputerejeanprimeau has a reputation beyond reputerejeanprimeau has a reputation beyond reputerejeanprimeau has a reputation beyond reputerejeanprimeau has a reputation beyond reputerejeanprimeau has a reputation beyond reputerejeanprimeau has a reputation beyond reputerejeanprimeau has a reputation beyond repute

Wet sumping can give weird noise. Did you overfill the oil tank?

Always heat up the engine before an oil change, if some oil was left in the base you might over fill your engine.

Those dinosaur engine can run quite long on empty oil.

Just start with the basic stuff before splitting your case.
Old 5 Days Ago
Asgardian

Sportster/Buell Model: 883r
Other Motorcycle Model: Chris Craft 32
Other Motorcycle Year: abov
Ireeman has a reputation beyond reputeIreeman has a reputation beyond reputeIreeman has a reputation beyond reputeIreeman has a reputation beyond reputeIreeman has a reputation beyond reputeIreeman has a reputation beyond reputeIreeman has a reputation beyond reputeIreeman has a reputation beyond reputeIreeman has a reputation beyond reputeIreeman has a reputation beyond reputeIreeman has a reputation beyond repute

Can we break this down from a iceberg to one drink at a time?
Old 5 Days Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: Xl1250S
Sportster/Buell Year: 98
Other Motorcycle Model: Kawasaki Vulcan 500
Other Motorcycle Year: 95
Hippysmack has a reputation beyond reputeHippysmack has a reputation beyond reputeHippysmack has a reputation beyond reputeHippysmack has a reputation beyond reputeHippysmack has a reputation beyond reputeHippysmack has a reputation beyond reputeHippysmack has a reputation beyond reputeHippysmack has a reputation beyond reputeHippysmack has a reputation beyond reputeHippysmack has a reputation beyond reputeHippysmack has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hippysmack View Post
Depending on how long and to what degree you went 'all out' will determine how much damage if was done.
Sometimes if the motor locks up from no oil, it may simmer down once it's cooled down with fresh oil.
Sometimes not.
Thought I did.
Old 5 Days Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1981
Other Motorcycle Model: FXDC
Other Motorcycle Year: 2013
Steve9 has a reputation beyond reputeSteve9 has a reputation beyond reputeSteve9 has a reputation beyond reputeSteve9 has a reputation beyond reputeSteve9 has a reputation beyond reputeSteve9 has a reputation beyond reputeSteve9 has a reputation beyond reputeSteve9 has a reputation beyond reputeSteve9 has a reputation beyond reputeSteve9 has a reputation beyond reputeSteve9 has a reputation beyond repute

So you pumped all the oil from the motor into the tank and rode her full throttle 3-5 minutes?

"farewell and adieu to you fair Spanish ladies"

(Cpn Quint "Jaws")

Not to be smart-aleck, sometimes they cool off and are fine
'01 Cyclone
'13 FXDC 96" stock
Old 5 Days Ago
XL FORUM LIFE MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: xls 1000
Sportster/Buell Year: 1980
Sportster/Buell Model #2: xls 1000
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1983
Other Motorcycle Model: 1200 Chopper XL
Other Motorcycle Year: 1990
rokytnji has a reputation beyond reputerokytnji has a reputation beyond reputerokytnji has a reputation beyond reputerokytnji has a reputation beyond reputerokytnji has a reputation beyond reputerokytnji has a reputation beyond reputerokytnji has a reputation beyond reputerokytnji has a reputation beyond reputerokytnji has a reputation beyond reputerokytnji has a reputation beyond reputerokytnji has a reputation beyond repute

Might want to pull the drain line and filter. Try and catch all oil in pan. Shine a flashlight on the oil you collected from both sources. If me. I would let it sit overnight to make sure all oil has left the motor. To be real sure. Pull the plugs. Put her in nuetral. Spin the motor with the battery for a few seconds. 10 to 20 or so.

Good luck.

I'm not outa place. I'm from outer space.

Traveled to
Old 5 Days Ago
Dazed & Confused

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2017
Other Motorcycle Model: BMW R9T
Other Motorcycle Year: 2015
Tomcatt has a reputation beyond reputeTomcatt has a reputation beyond reputeTomcatt has a reputation beyond reputeTomcatt has a reputation beyond reputeTomcatt has a reputation beyond reputeTomcatt has a reputation beyond reputeTomcatt has a reputation beyond reputeTomcatt has a reputation beyond reputeTomcatt has a reputation beyond reputeTomcatt has a reputation beyond reputeTomcatt has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dt.15r View Post
So im here now with an answer on why I got the overfilling of the oil tank. But the question is: what got messed up in the absence of the oil lubrication that leads the bike to knock. Currently going to replace the oil lines to the correct outputs to see if the noise goes away with the proper lubrication.
The oil tank became "overfilled" because you scavenged ALL the oil out of the engine while putting none back in.

As to what got messed up, it depends how lucky you got. Usually the hydraulic lifters clatter first when you have no oil pressure. Sooo, put the oil lines back on correctly, drain the oil into a clean pan so you can look for debris, replace and save the filter, put oil in, fire it up and see how it sounds. Whatever damage was done, is done.

Last edited by Tomcatt; 5 Days Ago at 16:07..
Old 2 Days Ago
Biker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomcatt View Post
The oil tank became "overfilled" because you scavenged ALL the oil out of the engine while putting none back in.

As to what got messed up, it depends how lucky you got. Usually the hydraulic lifters clatter first when you have no oil pressure. Sooo, put the oil lines back on correctly, drain the oil into a clean pan so you can look for debris, replace and save the filter, put oil in, fire it up and see how it sounds. Whatever damage was done, is done.
Sorry for not replying back quick enough. Thats my plan for this Thursday and Friday since I have the week off. See, I don't get a knocking sound when I turn out over...Just when it starts running I start hearing a knock. The bike didn't run for no more than 5-7 minutes during those 2 times I mentioned. Hoping that it isn't a big issue but once the oil lines are in the correct outputs ill be able to diagnose if it was the lack of oil in the engine, That made the engine knock sound. If that cures the sound then im good! But if the sound continues where should I proceed? Any reference links in diagnosing a knock? I REALLY appreciate the response from everyone.
Old 2 Days Ago
Biker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hippysmack View Post
Your whole motor could be fxxxxed.
Rod bearings, crank bearings, cam bearings and the oil pump would be concerns to me afterwards.

Sometimes not.
By "all out" I maybe did full throttle on 2nd and 3rd. No higher than that. Both times were ran no longer than 7 minutes, tops 10. It ran on neutral with the knocking sound, but by then im sure all the oil was scavenged, into the oil tank that would explain the over filling of the tank. But once I heard the knock I took it home right away which was only 1 block away. Hope she didn't just turn into a summer project! fingers crossed!