The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE FORUM > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Notices

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Active Threads
0 Hottie of the day, no nudity.
Last Post: cal43
Posted On: 9 Minutes Ago
Replies: 26,149
Views: 2,687,450
7 1983 Ironhead motor in a 1996 EVO frame?
Last Post: ryder rick
Posted On: 54 Minutes Ago
Replies: 37
Views: 3,745
0 Corona Virus
Last Post: iNSaNeSHaNe
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 1,032
Views: 99,034
0 New sportster in HD Research Survey
Last Post: Mr Dream Merchant
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 88
Views: 7,359
0 2021 HDs now Out!
Last Post: Mr Dream Merchant
Replies: 9
Views: 327
0 Cutting out at WOT
Last Post: IXL2Relax
Replies: 8
Views: 112
0 Scrambler, Dirtster, Dual Sport , Adventure Sportster picture thread
Last Post: phyhowe
Replies: 112
Views: 93,654
0 Should I apolgise to Harley Davidson ?
Last Post: Ferrous Head
Replies: 74
Views: 6,401
0 Can I fill gas tank up to top?
Last Post: BKB
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 2
Views: 65
0 1977 Shift shaft
Last Post: IronMick
Views: 102
0 Zippers Hammer 99 kit Info
Last Post: rocketmangb
Views: 104
0 did .you ever kick a good man when he,, was down
Last Post: 11B40
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Replies: 12
Views: 797
0 Mimi the Deerslayer: the triple threat
Last Post: madnss
Replies: 9
Views: 301
0 Mid West Meet & Greet
Last Post: skien
Replies: 832
Views: 82,176
0 83 XLH w/Velorex 562
Last Post: ferretface
Replies: 3
Views: 85
0 Motorcycle airbag jeans
Last Post: IXL2Relax
Posted On: 6 Hours Ago
Views: 369
0 Reflectors...Yeah, or Neh
Last Post: Marsikus
Posted On: 6 Hours Ago
Replies: 187
Views: 47,149
0 Boardtracker Project
Last Post: JonesL
Posted On: 8 Hours Ago
Replies: 652
Views: 133,868
0 Flat Tracker Pics
Last Post: Steve9
Posted On: 9 Hours Ago
Replies: 1,172
Views: 654,887
0 Hot Chicks on Hot Bikes
Last Post: trainman
Replies: 11,589
Views: 2,374,796
5 Tire Pressure?
Last Post: Iron Mike
Replies: 49
Views: 5,605
0 Battery
Last Post: oldboy
Replies: 6
Views: 182
0 XL1200 03 changing from 29tooth to 27
Last Post: jkinkade
Replies: 14
Views: 1,060
0 2021s getting new MT22 ECM
Last Post: 60Gunner
Replies: 0
Views: 62
0 Rear Sprocket Runout
Last Post: Tim The Grim
Replies: 1
Views: 76
0 This is gonna hurt.
Last Post: Graywolf
Posted On: 10 Hours Ago
Replies: 8,231
Views: 1,788,492
0 75 IH Oil leaking into starter from primary side/ bendix
Last Post: rokytnji
Posted On: 10 Hours Ago
Views: 439
0 Improving Fuel Mileage
Last Post: LLOYD883
Posted On: 11 Hours Ago
Replies: 20
Views: 465
0 New guy here from Michigan
Last Post: bklyngeezer
Replies: 23
Views: 1,491
0 Mustang 1 Piece Seat 6-XLS
Last Post: 60Gunner
Replies: 0
Views: 110
More...
Members Birthdays
Reynoldston (80), showmebandit (67), Hoppy1313 (67), FredrikK (65), Toejam503 (65), YO MUDA (62), Altopass (61), tim 2007xl1200c (54), w9awx (48), 3xtrastout (42)

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 1 Week Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1968
fernf5 is a splendid one to beholdfernf5 is a splendid one to beholdfernf5 is a splendid one to beholdfernf5 is a splendid one to beholdfernf5 is a splendid one to beholdfernf5 is a splendid one to beholdfernf5 is a splendid one to beholdfernf5 is a splendid one to beholdfernf5 is a splendid one to beholdfernf5 is a splendid one to beholdfernf5 is a splendid one to behold

Been a week, got my new primary chain slider so here's the next installment of 68 X Barn dweller:

Here's the new slider next to the 1000 or XLH one I tried to commit suicide with. You can plainly see where it was beefed up from the back. New one on the left (bottom). Sorry the pics can't be expanded anymore. I've tried a bunch of ways to bring them over, nothing works. No clue what happened.

Been working on the front forks while I waited for the parts. Here we go:

Starting to resemble a motorcycle. Feel a lot better looking at it now. Just wasn't a fan of the 4" over forks. I like the boots too.
I got one of the gold plated (pricey) V Twin solo seat kits. Went on real nicely and works well. I'll post some closeups after I get my new solo seat.

Today I got the slider in the early afternoon and started reassembling the clutch. Still have a little to go. Here it is before I finished tightening the cover screws and staking them.

Still have to finish hooking up the worm and stuff on the other side. Just as a reminder "oldtimers" I'm doing this for less knowledgeable guys and newbies in the future as well as my own record and education, so bear with me if some of this seems old hat. I sure appreciate all my new friends on this site and their willingness to help!

Looks like I should have the bike ready to fire by tomorrow. Just one small problem. Now I have all my tins in having the paint chemically removed. Probably won't get em back for a week or so. Normally I would just hang some kind of temporary (safe) gas container for a gas tank. But the Tillotson carb set up complicates things. Two containers? One normal and one to vent the carb? Sheesh
Poor planning I know...
Old 1 Week Ago
Senior Chief Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: xlch
Sportster/Buell Year: 1971
Sportster/Buell Model #2: xlh
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1974
Other Motorcycle Model: xl1200cp
Other Motorcycle Year: 2011
The Doctor71 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by fernf5 View Post
..... But the Tillotson carb set up complicates things. Two containers? One normal and one to vent the carb? .....
One container will do. But you'll need a 2nd hose for the vent. Just ensure the 2nd vent hose extends beyond (aka above) the gas level in your container.
Old 1 Week Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

fernf5 is a splendid one to beholdfernf5 is a splendid one to beholdfernf5 is a splendid one to beholdfernf5 is a splendid one to beholdfernf5 is a splendid one to beholdfernf5 is a splendid one to beholdfernf5 is a splendid one to beholdfernf5 is a splendid one to beholdfernf5 is a splendid one to beholdfernf5 is a splendid one to beholdfernf5 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Doctor71 View Post
One container will do
Right, but coming up with a container that has 2 entrances ain't easy. I usually use an inverted squeeze bottle with a hose clamp. Nothin fancy. I'll figure something out.
I actually bought a real cheap (non Tillotson) spare gas tank that I am planning to put a vent into and it should show up today. My original tank has a bad dent in the left rear corner that I'm not sure can be fixed. Can't buy an aftermarket Tillotson tank, none available.
On another note, got the kicker and clutch set up. Wow! is the kicker nice/improved. Feels really good and solid. Thanks Bruce and others for the help setting it up.
Old 1 Week Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

She runs!

Got her fired up with a pull start. No unusual noises, clutch, kicker, trans all flawless. Ran pretty poorly with lots of backfiring thru the carb, lack of throttle response. No noticeable response to carb adjustments, didn't idle well etc.
I haven't touched the intake manifold yet. I have rebuilt the carb. The timing is dead on.

Sure was nice riding the old girl, I liked it a lot. I'm hooked!
Old 1 Week Ago
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: xlch
Sportster/Buell Year: 1960
brucstoudt has a reputation beyond reputebrucstoudt has a reputation beyond reputebrucstoudt has a reputation beyond reputebrucstoudt has a reputation beyond reputebrucstoudt has a reputation beyond reputebrucstoudt has a reputation beyond reputebrucstoudt has a reputation beyond reputebrucstoudt has a reputation beyond reputebrucstoudt has a reputation beyond reputebrucstoudt has a reputation beyond reputebrucstoudt has a reputation beyond repute

glad to hear it.i think you're on the right track by suspecting the intake manifold.it could be leaking.support bracket for the carb{air cleaner}?
72 1000cc barrels and heads, s&s 41/2'' flywheels, sifton cams, s&s super B w/ zippers thunderjet w/yost powertube, andrews gears,and shafts, competition engineering kevlar wet or dry clutch, 72 oil pump, morris magneto w/auto advance and single fire module, cycle electric generator w/electronic regulator,73 cu.in.
Old 1 Week Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucstoudt View Post
glad to hear it.i think you're on the right track by suspecting the intake manifold.it could be leaking.support bracket for the carb{air cleaner}?
Yeah, thanks Bruce. Parts are on order, manifold clamps, orings, & manifold orings. As far as I know the stuff that's on there is more than 30 years old. Didn't get around to checking yet because of all the other stuff I've been doing. Kinda wanted to see how it ran. Now I know. Finally. I was really happy there were no knocks or bottom end type noises. Work on the bike will be sporadic for awhile as I'm adding a room to my shop. I'll squeeze in some wrench time when I can
Old 5 Days Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

OK got the manifold etc done. Helped quite a bit. Lots better starting and throttle response. Responds to mixture adjustments. I can now start the bike with the kicker fairly easily. Got to ride around a little, enough to know the engine needs some serious attention. It runs but very roughly with lots of missing and backfiring. Like gunshots. I've now accomplished what I wanted which was to get the bike to run well enough () to see what it needs.

It needs a topend for starters. Still has the 90# compression each cylinder that I started with. When I did a leakdown test there was air escaping from all the usual areas that indicate issues.

The jury is out on the Tillotson carb I have. I have nothing to compare it to and no experience with them. No benchmark. It could be completely shot or OK. I rebuilt it, set the pop off pressure and mixture screws per the FSM. Dunno

So when the time is right here soon and I feel good and up to it, I'll pull the motor and begin a frame up rebuild/resto. I'll revive this thread then. I have most of what I need for the resto, I'll be painting the frame, rewiring, re chroming and de-chroming various parts and generally cleaning up many years of gunk. Hopefully it all goes back together and comes out as a fairly original rider with a fresh topend.
Haven't decided if I will do all the wrenching and farm out the machine work or take the engine to someone. I know I can get some top notch headwork done at Baisleys in Portland but I don't need a performance engine just a stock rebuild. If someone knows a good indy in Portland/Vancouver I'd be interested.
Stay tuned!
Old 4 Days Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: sportster xlch
Sportster/Buell Year: 1970
Sportster/Buell Model #2: sportster xlh
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 73
Other Motorcycle Model: sportster
Other Motorcycle Year: 2003
sungod is an unknown quantity at this point
Default tillotson ball check

The ball check you are referring to is built into the bottom plastic cover.No need to replace it just clean it and make sure it moves.What stamping does your carb have?
Old 4 Days Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by sungod View Post
The ball check you are referring to is built into the bottom plastic cover.No need to replace it just clean it and make sure it moves.What stamping does your carb have?
I have an HD2C and an HD2D. One must have come off a BT or a modified bike. Had a much larger .061 jet . I Used the smaller jet .057 that came with the original. The reason I was asking about the check ball is I bought a VTwin carb rebuild kit that came with a bottom plastic piece with no ball or the retainer. I read somewhere that the check ball was added at some point as an upgrade. VTwin either copied an early one with no ball or?

I just used my original one with a ball in it. It moves freely. Thanks

Last edited by fernf5; 4 Days Ago at 18:15..
Old 3 Days Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: sportster xlch
Sportster/Buell Year: 1970
Sportster/Buell Model #2: sportster xlh
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 73
Other Motorcycle Model: sportster
Other Motorcycle Year: 2003
sungod is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Tillotson

I have several Tillys HD1's and HD2's purchased from various sources.Several times I discovered that the gasket was installed in the wrong sequence. As you know the gasket goes against the carb body and then the diaphram goes on.I wonder how many Tillys were tossed out of frustration.