The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > GENERAL AREA > On the Road - Stories, Places to Stay/Eat, Places to get Help
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

On the Road - Stories, Places to Stay/Eat, Places to get Help Tell us about your latest ride or even an old one.

Active Threads
0 Hottie of the day, no nudity.
Last Post: Stairman
Posted On: 1 Minute Ago
Replies: 14,457
Views: 1,346,570
0 Massachusetts rides 2019
Last Post: mick42
Posted On: 2 Minutes Ago
Replies: 26
Views: 1,423
0 manifold leaks
Last Post: Davo_137
Posted On: 3 Minutes Ago
Replies: 6
Views: 84
0 My new LED headlight
Posted On: 4 Minutes Ago
Replies: 13
Views: 316
0 Collapsed lifter??
Last Post: vagrant318
Posted On: 10 Minutes Ago
Replies: 110
Views: 3,117
0 Bike sold leaving forum
Last Post: harley506d
Posted On: 14 Minutes Ago
Replies: 13
Views: 185
0 Grenade plate fix with XR1200 parts...
Last Post: harley506d
Posted On: 16 Minutes Ago
Replies: 36
Views: 3,626
0 Where you carry your tool bag?
Last Post: Serious Blac
Posted On: 37 Minutes Ago
Replies: 85
Views: 17,350
0 Official XL Forum Random Image Thread (NO NUDITY!)
Last Post: Graywolf
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 45,231
Views: 7,136,423
0 Crusty's Travels
Last Post: Crusty
Replies: 2,486
Views: 323,846
0 ***DK Custom - NEW Blog Section On Our Site - SHOP TALK***
Last Post: DK Custom
Replies: 4
Views: 241
0 Keep & Kill
Last Post: Crusty
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 13,958
Views: 782,666
0 crank case breather
Last Post: Hippysmack
Replies: 24
Views: 966
0 Do you like Mexican food?
Replies: 55
Views: 1,199
0 83 xlx
Last Post: 83XLX
Replies: 3
Views: 112
0 XL FORUM Offcial Sciatica Thread
Last Post: sportsterpaul
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 54
Views: 19,487
0 It's sportsterdude.248's birthday!
Last Post: ReddTigger
Replies: 10
Views: 193
0 Rico Lutsey aka Rico 05R
Replies: 24
Views: 755
0 This week on Craig's list
Last Post: SLW210
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 4,370
Views: 523,229
0 1960 XLCH in the UK
Last Post: doodah man
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 158
Views: 14,960
0 what brand of spark plug do you use?
Last Post: Highly-Dangerous
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Replies: 309
Views: 76,352
0 When Were You Born?
Last Post: old dog
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Replies: 331
Views: 80,311
0 Hi from Calgary
Last Post: Folkie
Posted On: 6 Hours Ago
Replies: 8
Views: 88
0 Hello from New York
Last Post: Folkie
Posted On: 6 Hours Ago
Replies: 11
Views: 278
0 Wet Sump Ifo, fix and tools
Posted On: 7 Hours Ago
Replies: 57
Views: 4,201
0 Hi from North Wales, UK
Posted On: 8 Hours Ago
Replies: 14
Views: 574
0 V&H StraightShots Wrapped?
Posted On: 12 Hours Ago
Replies: 5
Views: 143
0 Hello
Posted On: 12 Hours Ago
Replies: 12
Views: 158
0 XLCH Crazy voltage spike
Last Post: IXL2Relax
Posted On: 13 Hours Ago
Replies: 38
Views: 1,649
More...
Members Birthdays
black pearl (75), SDREDD (58), pig (56), BonRu (54), cbass (46), ssm7530 (44), HawkeyeTX, SxysCowboy (36)
Sponsored Links

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18th December 2005
~~RIP Johnny G~~

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster 1200 Custom
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
Paulie420 is a splendid one to beholdPaulie420 is a splendid one to beholdPaulie420 is a splendid one to beholdPaulie420 is a splendid one to beholdPaulie420 is a splendid one to beholdPaulie420 is a splendid one to beholdPaulie420 is a splendid one to beholdPaulie420 is a splendid one to beholdPaulie420 is a splendid one to beholdPaulie420 is a splendid one to beholdPaulie420 is a splendid one to behold
Default 160mi Rid... well, adventure! (Nightmare?!)

Today I got out around noon, and while it was BRISK outside it was definatly not unbearable. I geared up, couple shirts, light jacket, leather, chaps, etc... and I felt GREAT! Got to sport the new full face I bought this morning; and it was working out REAL well. No more cold face! Anyway, I was just off to a good start; and it was badass to be rolling down the highway again!!!

I went up Highway 50, thinking I could ride up to Placerville, CA and go to the Harley store there... its a 50 mile ride and there's a few connecting cities that you can ride to and make a loop back to Sacramento. But, after riding about 5 or 10 miles I ran into a LIGHT sprinkle. It was enough to get the face mask pretty wet, and I was thinking maybe Placerville isn't the best place to go. So, I look up and there's the Latrobe exit... which is a 10mi or so twisty road that dumps out onto Highway 16. (Which goes to Jackson and all that fun FOOTHILLS stuff!) Ok, Paulie's smart right? Lets beat the rain...

So I dash off up Latrobe, enjoying the mild twisties... it was pretty nice, the rain stopped, was cold but nice... and I enjoyed every bit of it. I pointed the bike towards Jackson, figuring I *know* where a bunch of stuff is out there... (Just go there all the damn time. Heh.) I get just enough into the ride... like 20 miles or so and it starts to sprinkle again. Nothing serious, the road still seemed to be pretty dry... so I push on. Ride through Jackson, have a cup of coffee - and decide that who cares, I'll ride on over to Volcano again... the twisties on the way rock. It's about a 15 mile ride from Jackson to Volcano... right in the middle, it started to really rain. My chaps got wet. My gloves got wet. My boots got wet. The inside of my damn pants got SOAKED! I could hear the pitter patter on top of my helmet! Ha! But I thought... I can just outrun it. Also, the road still felt relatively... well, not dry, but... safe. I slowed down a lot because of the twisties, but kept pushing on. The whole time I thought I would be outrunning the rain. Anyway, Volcano has a store and I stopped there. To roll a... cigarette... and take a breather.

The rain stopped. Woohoo! The last time I was out here, I hit reserve and had to turn around... not before going a bit farther on that twisty road and seeing that it kept on going. Well, I thought since it stopped raining I could keep on rolling and see where it took me - I had dryed a bit. (Not all the way, but... still comfortable!) Off I went. It was really nice, very woodsy area... small road, twisting back and forth - everything was great!! And then the rain came back. Sh*t!!! I was hating it now. I was wet. I was cold. I didn't know which way was gonna get me out! I was like 60-70 miles from home! Ha! I decided since I outran it before I could just keep pushing on... sounded like a good idea... I passed the turn for Plymouth/Fiddletown (Which could have gotten me back to Highway 16 and up towards my house!!!) and banked on the road I was riding on would bring me out to the 50 or the Placeville area some how. Hell, I probably would have made it - if the damn rain hadn't of turned into SNOW about 15 miles up the road!!!!!! Man, I thought, what the hell should I do. Although I felt fine in the mild rain, I did NOT feel OK with driving through snow. I had just passed a 'Watch for ice' sign. So, I flip a bitch because even if I get wet I don't wanna get hurt.

Now I was around 20 miles from that Plymouth/Fiddletown exit and about 80 miles from home. Bleck. What was I gonna do? I was feeling pretty shitty... cold, wet, tired. I drive back about 5 miles and low and behold there is a little tiny general store/restaurant (Well... they had COFFEE and a SANDWHICH!) on the left hand side. I pull off in there and park the bike under the roof of the building. Cool. I had a turkey sandwhich, a mountain dew, and got to talk to the guy there who told me about his 72' Sporty that he bought for $2500 or something and sold 2 years ago for $5500... he said he rides a fat boy now... My new thing is - You shouldn't take a ride and not meet someone, see something new, or help someone out. (Hell, maybe I should add or Get helped.) I gave him my number and told him if he's ever in Sac to call me and we'd ride. He gave me a heads up about a small road that was 1mi away that would cut me right over to Plymouth.... instead of driving all the way back to the split. It was really raining still, but daylight was burning down and I had to go!! So I suit back up and go right into the rain... now though, I wasn't pissed or tired or anything, I just wanted to get through this ride!! I knew I could make it home. And thats just what I did.

Up to Plymouth, over to highway 16 back up to Sunrise Blvd. all through the pouring down damn rain! WET! I had to slow a little bit, but overall I was REALLY impressed with how the sporty handled all this bad weather today. I wouldn't go as far as saying it was the same as dry but, I really didn't feel like it was dangerous at all. Just uncomfortable. (BTW - I couldn't image having to do it in that old 1/2 helmet!!!) I stopped about 15 miles from home in Rancho Murietta, just to call the wife and tell her what was up. I mean, I told her I was going riding and it had been raining ever since! HA! She was freaked out... but all was good. Man, those last 15 miles were awesome! I was like 'steady and easy Paulie...' like just telling myself I was getting done with this ride... at the very end I remember saying ya know, 'Don't get stupid now... yer done... almost.' It was awesome.

We made it. Right into the garage, soaking freakin wet, bike dirty as sin, cold to the BONE... this adventure was over. (I was pumped too...)

Now I'm not terribly afraid of the rain... just better get some damn rain gear to go over all that nice leather. Chaps are hanging in the bathroom drying, helmet and gloves on top of the dryer getting warm... and the bike... God, the bike is so damn dirty. I haven't even messed with it at all! Oh well, those hard to reach places will be dirty for a minute, this is the worse my sporty ever looked. I'll get her shining again... just when it gets warmer!

175 miles. About 30 dry.

Off to the next one...

2005 Sportster 1200 Custom
Vance & Hines Sideshots, Screamin Eagle A/C, Detachable Sissy Bar, LayDown Brake Light, Smoked Lenses, SaddleBags, And an Attitude to Boot

Old 18th December 2005
Senior Chief Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: SPORTSTER 883/1200 HUGGER
Sportster/Buell Year: 1998
newberrykc is on a distinguished roadnewberrykc is on a distinguished road

Sounds like you had a nice ride.... Pretty good description too, I never remember any of the roads I ride on... Glad you made it home, rain isen't that bad. I do avoid it at all cost though.
Old 18th December 2005
Rider Of The Iron Steed

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1978
IronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond repute

Awesum. The bike was good and so were you. Kept the head up.

Main thing to watch for is the oil in the center of the road, when it first starts to rain.

Rode 9,1/2 hours one time in the rain. It never stopped. Only got worse - huge, thick black clouds. But it was summer and it was warm.

Glad you had fun, eh.

Visit Mick's WebSite
[And Check Out My Autobiog]
Old 18th December 2005
Chief Master Mechanic

lefty has disabled reputation

Paulie,

Nice description of your adventure, very nice. I've been riding only about 2 years and have managed to stay out of all but light sprinkles. Nothing in your adventure compels me to do otherwise!

Lefty
Old 18th December 2005
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XL 883
Sportster/Buell Year: 2004
Other Motorcycle Model: Heritage Classic
Other Motorcycle Year: 2004
DM-SC is an unknown quantity at this point

Nothing quite like cold rain, is there?

At least you were out riding today!

2004 Heritage Classic - Ness Big Sucker, V&H Longshots, PCIIIUSB
Former Sporty Pilot...Now riding a "Road Sofa"
Old 18th December 2005
Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster xl883 taxs/paid
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
Other Motorcycle Model: Dyna LowRider 2006
Smokermike is an unknown quantity at this point

Sounds like you had 1 heck of a ride today careful out there in the rain bud was raining all afternoon on us at the msf course grr its all good goin back tommorow to finsh up some good stuff to learn there on the riding course

mike
Old 18th December 2005
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: Custom
Sportster/Buell Year: 05
Other Motorcycle Model: Suzuki GN400
Other Motorcycle Year: 1980
merc has a reputation beyond reputemerc has a reputation beyond reputemerc has a reputation beyond reputemerc has a reputation beyond reputemerc has a reputation beyond reputemerc has a reputation beyond reputemerc has a reputation beyond reputemerc has a reputation beyond reputemerc has a reputation beyond reputemerc has a reputation beyond reputemerc has a reputation beyond repute

Glad you ended home safe man and didn't get cazy at the end. It's good to keep you head.
Me--I hate the heavy rain. Scares the heck out of me going around the curves.
Old 18th December 2005
Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
Other Motorcycle Model: FLHRSE3
Other Motorcycle Year: 2007
FreestateXL has disabled reputation

aaaahhh yes, the joys of good raingear...
Old 18th December 2005
Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: 883 Hugger
Sportster/Buell Year: 1992
NickNasty is on a distinguished roadNickNasty is on a distinguished road

Nice story. God I hate wind, rain, cold, ice, sleet, hail, snow, heavy traffic, drivers w/o D.L. or insurance..but I live in Chicago and that's all we got!!!
Sponsored Links