The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE FORUM > Sportster Motorcycle Electrical > Sportster Motorcycle Electrical and Ignition
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Active Threads
0 manifold leaks
Last Post: Davo_137
Posted On: 1 Minute Ago
Replies: 6
Views: 84
0 My new LED headlight
Last Post: Stairman
Posted On: 1 Minute Ago
Replies: 13
Views: 316
0 Collapsed lifter??
Last Post: vagrant318
Posted On: 7 Minutes Ago
Replies: 110
Views: 3,117
0 Bike sold leaving forum
Last Post: harley506d
Posted On: 11 Minutes Ago
Replies: 13
Views: 185
0 Grenade plate fix with XR1200 parts...
Last Post: harley506d
Posted On: 13 Minutes Ago
Replies: 36
Views: 3,626
0 Where you carry your tool bag?
Last Post: Serious Blac
Posted On: 34 Minutes Ago
Replies: 85
Views: 17,350
0 Official XL Forum Random Image Thread (NO NUDITY!)
Last Post: Graywolf
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 45,231
Views: 7,136,423
0 Crusty's Travels
Last Post: Crusty
Replies: 2,486
Views: 323,846
0 ***DK Custom - NEW Blog Section On Our Site - SHOP TALK***
Last Post: DK Custom
Replies: 4
Views: 241
0 Keep & Kill
Last Post: Crusty
Replies: 13,958
Views: 782,666
0 crank case breather
Last Post: Hippysmack
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 24
Views: 966
0 Do you like Mexican food?
Last Post: Stairman
Replies: 55
Views: 1,199
0 83 xlx
Last Post: 83XLX
Replies: 3
Views: 112
0 XL FORUM Offcial Sciatica Thread
Last Post: sportsterpaul
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 54
Views: 19,487
0 It's sportsterdude.248's birthday!
Last Post: ReddTigger
Replies: 10
Views: 193
0 Rico Lutsey aka Rico 05R
Replies: 24
Views: 755
0 This week on Craig's list
Last Post: SLW210
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 4,370
Views: 523,229
0 1960 XLCH in the UK
Last Post: doodah man
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 158
Views: 14,960
0 what brand of spark plug do you use?
Last Post: Highly-Dangerous
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Replies: 309
Views: 76,352
0 When Were You Born?
Last Post: old dog
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Replies: 331
Views: 80,311
0 Hi from Calgary
Last Post: Folkie
Posted On: 6 Hours Ago
Replies: 8
Views: 88
0 Hello from New York
Last Post: Folkie
Posted On: 6 Hours Ago
Replies: 11
Views: 278
0 Wet Sump Ifo, fix and tools
Posted On: 7 Hours Ago
Replies: 57
Views: 4,201
0 Hi from North Wales, UK
Posted On: 8 Hours Ago
Replies: 14
Views: 574
0 V&H StraightShots Wrapped?
Posted On: 12 Hours Ago
Replies: 5
Views: 143
0 Hello
Replies: 12
Views: 158
0 XLCH Crazy voltage spike
Last Post: IXL2Relax
Replies: 38
Views: 1,649
0 New to 2002 hugger 883
Posted On: 13 Hours Ago
Replies: 10
Views: 547
0 Dying battery, starter, mystery gremlin?
Posted On: 13 Hours Ago
Replies: 2
Views: 140
More...
Members Birthdays
black pearl (75), SDREDD (58), pig (56), BonRu (54), cbass (46), ssm7530 (44), HawkeyeTX, SxysCowboy (36)
Sponsored Links

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17th October 2008
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: SPORTSTER "old boy"
Sportster/Buell Year: 1997
Sportster/Buell Model #2: SPORTSTER CR (sold)
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1998
Other Motorcycle Model: Suzuki GSF 650 Bandit
Other Motorcycle Year: 2006
beuz has a reputation beyond reputebeuz has a reputation beyond reputebeuz has a reputation beyond reputebeuz has a reputation beyond reputebeuz has a reputation beyond reputebeuz has a reputation beyond reputebeuz has a reputation beyond reputebeuz has a reputation beyond reputebeuz has a reputation beyond reputebeuz has a reputation beyond reputebeuz has a reputation beyond repute

Waterproof cars connectors are perfect to replace the original deutsh connectors.
They don't require specific tool.
Old 17th October 2008
Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: Sortster 883R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2002
BYL350Z is on a distinguished roadBYL350Z is on a distinguished roadBYL350Z is on a distinguished roadBYL350Z is on a distinguished roadBYL350Z is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by beuz View Post
Waterproof cars connectors are perfect to replace the original deutsh connectors.
They don't require specific tool.
But do I need the connectors? For example, the wiring for the rear lights (brake and turn) is as follows? 4 individual wires went into one connector and that connector was plugged into, what I think is, a distributor. Out of the distributor, there were three connectors leaving: one going to the brake light and the other two going to the turn signals. What I want to do is separate the 4 wires (which I'm assuming are 1)running light and 2)brake light, 3)left turn signal, 4) right turn signal), that went into the connector and wire them directly to the destination, being the brake light and the turn signals.
Is that doable? should I post pics of the set up now??
Old 17th October 2008
Senior Chief Know It All 2nd Class

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1979
Fe Head is just really niceFe Head is just really niceFe Head is just really niceFe Head is just really niceFe Head is just really niceFe Head is just really niceFe Head is just really niceFe Head is just really niceFe Head is just really niceFe Head is just really niceFe Head is just really nice

Sure - you can do whatever achieves your goal - just do the test thing first before cutting off any leads and then checking ( i.e. check twice cut once. )

Are you planning on just elimnating the connector and splicing/soldering/silicon /heat shrinking / another heat shrink? OR

Replace the entire wire lead end to end - this is much more involved ?

Cheers;
Old 17th October 2008
Know It All

BYL350Z is on a distinguished roadBYL350Z is on a distinguished roadBYL350Z is on a distinguished roadBYL350Z is on a distinguished roadBYL350Z is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fe Head View Post
Sure - you can do whatever achieves your goal - just do the test thing first before cutting off any leads and then checking ( i.e. check twice cut once. )

Are you planning on just elimnating the connector and splicing/soldering/silicon /heat shrinking / another heat shrink? OR

Replace the entire wire lead end to end - this is much more involved ?

Cheers;
I'm not even going to try to replace the wires. I wish I knew enough about this stuff to do that, but I cut my wood shop classes in high school when they taught us how to work with electrical wires on cars. I'm just going to eliminate the connector. The wires are LOOOOONG enough, I'll actually have to cut them shorter. Plus I cut my frame, so my blinkers are mounted a lot closer to the center of bike.
Next question, how do I get the wires out of the connector? Just pull them out or do I have the cut them? and what do you mean by the "test thing"?
Old 18th October 2008

Fe Head is just really niceFe Head is just really niceFe Head is just really niceFe Head is just really niceFe Head is just really niceFe Head is just really niceFe Head is just really niceFe Head is just really niceFe Head is just really niceFe Head is just really niceFe Head is just really nice

That is great that you have extra length to play with.

In this case I would preserve the connectors and the wires by cutting each side 1" - 1 1/2" away from the connector block. You will then not need to buy or acquire the special pin removing tool as mentioned by "beuz" earlier and you will always be able to re-use or swap the connectors in the future.

By testing I was just suggesting do mock up the connections you plan to use by disconnecting the connector plugs and using jumper wires -back probe each pair to make sure they all work in the fashion you have chosen- or - once cut push the ends together to observe everything working.

Once you have confirmed the wires are performing properly then go ahead with the end to end splicing process.

Everyone has their own preferred method for achieving a weather resistant solid joint, I will briefly list my steps below for your consideration.

1. Strip off 3/8" -1/2" of the plastic insulation from each end of the wire sets to be soldered

2. Cut and slide a 2" and a 3" lenght of heat shrink with one length sliding over each wire set before joining the set(s) together

3. Weave the butt ends of the braided wires into each other until they are fully overlapped and the ends are smoothed down.

4. Add the flux -paste or liquid to the bared wires and solder with a really hot iron so there is good capillary action drawing the solder deep into and along the joint.

5. Cool and smear some RTV silicon over the soldered area and some of the insulation

6. Slide the shortest (2") heat shrink over the joint and silicon, centering it evenly -shrink it down

7. Slide and center the longer heat shrink over the first and shrink it down as well

8. Finished one connection - some add a little more RTV silcon over the ends of the first heat shrink - this is optional but, as in life, it never hurts to have another layer of protection.

The above will be a smooth sealed joint that is both mechanically and electrically sound with excellent weather and road salt resistance.

The difficulty in undoing the above makes the soft testing first quite important.

The next important step is number 2. More than once my mind has wandered and I was looking at a beautifully soldered joint while the heat shrink was still sitting on the bench -ouch.

All the best with your re-wired bike.

Cheers;
Old 24th October 2008
Know It All

Since I want to run a straight set up, meaning the wires are connected directly to the turn signals and break light, do I have to get rid of all of the connectors?? or not?? (i can post pics if need be)
I ask because when I open the wires to measure the current in order to determine which is the left, right turn signal wires and brake/running light wires, i get no reading of any current at all. however, when I plug everything back in stock, it works. So there is current running through those wires. Am I doing something wrong? I"m beginning to think that all of the connectors that go to the rear lighting area will have to go unless there is something I'm missing.
Please, please, advise. (I'd like to get some riding time before it gets tooooo cold here in NYC).

Thanks
Old 27th October 2008

I am not sure what technique you have employed for measuring currents but I would just probe the wires when disconnected that feed the power to the connector with the multi-meter set to - DC volts 0 to 20 and the other meter's lead to a grounded point.

This will tell you which wire is operating which light filament. The voltage readings will pulse with the flasher being signaled while providing a steady reading when the running lights or brake light is being activated.

On the lead that provides no voltage - switch the meter to continuity and it should buzz showing this wire to be a ground back to the battery via the frame or engine,

As far as the connector's function - it is mainly for assembly and repair of the systems and sub-systems rather than an electrically functional element in the circuit.

Go ahead and by-pass the connectors if your plan is to leave the wiring in a minalistic and simple form.

Cheers;