The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE FORUM > Sportster Motorcycle Intake and Exhaust > Sportster Motorcycle Air intake, Carburetor, EFI, Fuel, and Exhaust
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle Air intake, Carburetor, EFI, Fuel, and Exhaust Problems, advice and/or how tos for Sporster and Buell motorcycle carburators, Electronic Fuel Injection (EFI), Air Intake, Fuel and Exhaust.

Active Threads
0 Hello from the Northeast US.
Last Post: juzyHD
Posted On: 1 Minute Ago
Replies: 6
Views: 45
0 You asked for it! "The Tess' Coffee Thread"
Last Post: Ireeman
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 10,911
Views: 908,091
0 Official XL Forum Random Image Thread (NO NUDITY!)
Replies: 45,192
Views: 7,127,419
0 Keep & Kill
Replies: 13,933
Views: 780,032
0 Rico Lutsey aka Rico 05R
Last Post: Toejam503
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 1
Views: 38
0 Tank Dent Repair Western NC
Last Post: BlackBikeDave
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 4
Views: 73
0 Was your 1st bike a Sportster?
Last Post: RDHenley
Replies: 1,023
Views: 234,246
0 crank case breather
Replies: 5
Views: 155
0 cleaning your sporty
Replies: 312
Views: 155,295
3 Wtb, Wts, Wtt, Wtg (Rubber Mounts)
Last Post: norski
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Replies: 2
Views: 42,814
5 1200 5th Gear in 883 conversion
Last Post: groovemeisterus
Posted On: 6 Hours Ago
Replies: 5
Views: 215
0 DK Custom '19 Summer Adv. Riding to where Titanic Sank -Newfoundland Island & More
Last Post: DK Custom
Posted On: 6 Hours Ago
Replies: 87
Views: 2,953
0 05 xl1200C No Start - Blowing Batt Fuse
Last Post: sportsterdoc
Posted On: 8 Hours Ago
Replies: 21
Views: 293
0 Transmission Issue or clutch?
Last Post: 72 Ironhead XLH
Posted On: 9 Hours Ago
Replies: 13
Views: 748
0 Anyone go racing last weekend?
Last Post: cycowrencher
Replies: 3,152
Views: 305,704
0 Rear sets?
Last Post: Scott
Replies: 29
Views: 7,966
0 Hot Chicks on Hot Bikes
Last Post: Stairman
Replies: 10,312
Views: 1,783,338
0 Do you use premium gas in your Sportster?
Last Post: motorend
Posted On: 10 Hours Ago
Replies: 1,788
Views: 367,429
0 Hottie of the day, no nudity.
Last Post: trainman
Replies: 14,381
Views: 1,340,701
0 This week on Craig's list
Last Post: Iron Mike
Replies: 4,364
Views: 522,311
0 Stock mirrors. Can you see behind you?
Last Post: 83XLX
Replies: 562
Views: 111,260
0 Fatster Project
Last Post: Flame__
Replies: 13
Views: 1,358
0 Roads I'd like to ride.
Last Post: t.c. Johnson
Posted On: 11 Hours Ago
Replies: 2,472
Views: 208,206
0 Bobtailing a sportster
Last Post: 45Brit
Posted On: 11 Hours Ago
Replies: 174
Views: 76,674
0 Flame's New 1989
Last Post: Flame__
Posted On: 14 Hours Ago
Replies: 614
Views: 89,447
0 Carb + Rubbermount = Collector's Item?
Last Post: SLW210
Posted On: 14 Hours Ago
Replies: 192
Views: 34,822
0 Talking dog
Last Post: Hippysmack
Posted On: 15 Hours Ago
Replies: 2
Views: 216
0 Harley Davidson Sportster: 60 years by Allan Girdler
Last Post: Hippysmack
Replies: 6
Views: 697
0 hmmm, whaddaya think? (Footpeg Location)
Last Post: slcharger
Replies: 111
Views: 25,014
More...
Members Birthdays
doughboy (66), tinman (64), mofo (57), JAFI (56), Topgun (54), Hogwylde (54), Pay Toilet (53), grwhite038 (51), JWG883 (50), sorryifitburns (46), Leibniz (44), higgins14 (42)
Tags
exhaust pipe, performance, sound

Sponsored Links

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16th August 2010
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: XL 1200X Forty-Eight
Sportster/Buell Year: 2010
Other Motorcycle Model: Yamaha 50th R6
Other Motorcycle Year: 2006
B@d A$$_48 is an unknown quantity at this point
Post Improve sound of my stock exhaust, suggestions?

Looking for recommendation or suggestion on how to improve the sound on a stock 1200x exhaust system without lossing too muchperformance or breaking the bank.
Old 16th August 2010
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 04
seajay has a reputation beyond reputeseajay has a reputation beyond reputeseajay has a reputation beyond reputeseajay has a reputation beyond reputeseajay has a reputation beyond reputeseajay has a reputation beyond reputeseajay has a reputation beyond reputeseajay has a reputation beyond reputeseajay has a reputation beyond reputeseajay has a reputation beyond reputeseajay has a reputation beyond repute

Bunch of stickys in the exhaust section.
Old 16th August 2010
Drag Race Champion

Sportster/Buell Model: 883
Sportster/Buell Year: 2001
CoffeeGrinder is a glorious beacon of lightCoffeeGrinder is a glorious beacon of lightCoffeeGrinder is a glorious beacon of lightCoffeeGrinder is a glorious beacon of lightCoffeeGrinder is a glorious beacon of lightCoffeeGrinder is a glorious beacon of lightCoffeeGrinder is a glorious beacon of lightCoffeeGrinder is a glorious beacon of lightCoffeeGrinder is a glorious beacon of lightCoffeeGrinder is a glorious beacon of lightCoffeeGrinder is a glorious beacon of light
Default posted this in another thread, but will add it here too

I believe the stock slipons on the 48 are the same as on the nightster, if not, disregard the following.
If you are just looking for more sound and if they're the same stock slip-ons that are found on a nightster....

You can do the following with the slipons still installed on the bike...actually a very fast process...

Take a long, pointed metal rod about 5/8" in diameter, center it in the middle of the inside of your slipons onto the center plug inside,
than get a heavy hammer and pound the rod through the plug with a couple good wacks.

Do this with both slipons. You will get a nicer sound without a dip in performance.

The center plug may just dislodge before you get a hole in it, the welds aren't the strongest holding them in. No worries if they do, will still get the same sound, you'll just want to make sure if one plug totally comes out that you have the other plug come out as well. You will hear them rattle around if they do dislodge... just twist the throttle and they'll come flying out.

I think there may even be a video out on youtube showing someone do this.
Seen this done, in person, on a nightster and the sound is a good improvement. It's not like cycle shacks, but will definitely give you more sound than stock without mod.
Old 16th August 2010
Senior Chief Know It All 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH Sportster
Sportster/Buell Year: 1991
Other Motorcycle Model: 650 Triumph Bonneville
Other Motorcycle Year: 1970
xHDrider is a glorious beacon of lightxHDrider is a glorious beacon of lightxHDrider is a glorious beacon of lightxHDrider is a glorious beacon of lightxHDrider is a glorious beacon of lightxHDrider is a glorious beacon of lightxHDrider is a glorious beacon of lightxHDrider is a glorious beacon of lightxHDrider is a glorious beacon of lightxHDrider is a glorious beacon of lightxHDrider is a glorious beacon of light
Default as posted on your other thread

sorry no drawings, I made it up as I went, I didn't see the concept anywhere else.

my torch was out of oxygen and acetylene I used a little map gas torch to braze it together.

picture a flat piece of metal twisted full sided,(same as ID of muffler) ahead of the baffle, then notched out for the baffle and braze to the baffle.

the baffle was tapered to a point, on the inlet side, every thing had to flow around the outside of it. into the center of the baffle to exit.
I opened OEM holes to about 3/8" drove a tapered punch through every 1/4" hole.

(this gave the baffle a radius or lead on every hole)

I have given out advice / ideas, that people have made money on, with out even a thank you. (free from my end)

thats why I didn't take pictures. however I felt like sharing one more time, with this post.

exhaust has great bottom and mid range, top end isn't too shabby either. the deep tone is great. I have a nice loppy idle maybe a little choppy even. ("W" cams 10:1 compression)

I just know It has way more response then the stock baffles did or even with the opened up holes. the swirl was a huge difference.
883 / 1200 conversion, shrink ported high velocity heads, milled .020 off the compression side. stainless steel tulip conversion valves. 10:1 wiseco forged pistons. "W" cams, Crane HI-4E ignition module, forcewinder AC. mustang seat, Progressive springs, RK-shocks, fork brace. metzeler me880 tires, headlight modulator. PIAA intense white H4 bulb
Old 16th August 2010
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XL 1200 Gone
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
Don Burton has a reputation beyond reputeDon Burton has a reputation beyond reputeDon Burton has a reputation beyond reputeDon Burton has a reputation beyond reputeDon Burton has a reputation beyond reputeDon Burton has a reputation beyond reputeDon Burton has a reputation beyond reputeDon Burton has a reputation beyond reputeDon Burton has a reputation beyond reputeDon Burton has a reputation beyond reputeDon Burton has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by xHDrider View Post
sorry no drawings, I made it up as I went, I didn't see the concept anywhere else.

my torch was out of oxygen and acetylene I used a little map gas torch to braze it together.

picture a flat piece of metal twisted full sided,(same as ID of muffler) ahead of the baffle, then notched out for the baffle and braze to the baffle.
Take a look at the inlet of your stock 1970 Triumph Bonneville mufflers (if you have them) and you will see a crossed and twisted swirl vane in the shape of an X that spins all of the exhaust against the fiberglass lined walls of the straight through mufflers. It was a very effective design that could hardly be improved on for performance while it took out all of the harsh metallic sound that was present in most of the aftermarket mufflers excepting the Dunstalls.
Old 16th August 2010
Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200N
Sportster/Buell Year: 2009
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL883
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2008
IronSportMan is just really niceIronSportMan is just really niceIronSportMan is just really niceIronSportMan is just really niceIronSportMan is just really niceIronSportMan is just really niceIronSportMan is just really niceIronSportMan is just really niceIronSportMan is just really niceIronSportMan is just really niceIronSportMan is just really nice

Buy slip on drag pipes like mine. Only $100. Love them too!
Old 16th August 2010

Don Burton has a reputation beyond reputeDon Burton has a reputation beyond reputeDon Burton has a reputation beyond reputeDon Burton has a reputation beyond reputeDon Burton has a reputation beyond reputeDon Burton has a reputation beyond reputeDon Burton has a reputation beyond reputeDon Burton has a reputation beyond reputeDon Burton has a reputation beyond reputeDon Burton has a reputation beyond reputeDon Burton has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronSportMan View Post
Buy slip on drag pipes like mine. Only $100. Love them too!
But drags will affect his low speed power which he says he doesn't want to lose.
Old 16th August 2010
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster 1200L
Sportster/Buell Year: 2010
Other Motorcycle Model: Suzuki RM125
Other Motorcycle Year: 2003
k-walk16 is an unknown quantity at this point

i agree with the punching holes in the baffles. i did it. took about 1 min. not super loud but makes it sound like a harley should.

*dont remove the entire baffle asy. though. sounds terrible. but i am super happy with my cycle shacks. too loud for some, but i like it and they were $140
Old 16th August 2010
Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200N
Sportster/Buell Year: 2009
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL883
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2008
IronSportMan is just really niceIronSportMan is just really niceIronSportMan is just really niceIronSportMan is just really niceIronSportMan is just really niceIronSportMan is just really niceIronSportMan is just really niceIronSportMan is just really niceIronSportMan is just really niceIronSportMan is just really niceIronSportMan is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Burton View Post
But drags will affect his low speed power which he says he doesn't want to lose.
I have no problems with low speed power on my bike at all!??!
Sponsored Links
Old 17th August 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronSportMan View Post
I have no problems with low speed power on my bike at all!??!
As measured by? Drags are notorious for putting a hole in the powerband.