The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE FORUM > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Notices

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Active Threads
0 Hottie of the day, no nudity.
Last Post: Stairman
Posted On: 1 Minute Ago
Replies: 8,807
Views: 725,887
0 Official XL Forum Random Image Thread (NO NUDITY!)
Posted On: 23 Minutes Ago
Replies: 42,050
Views: 6,510,900
0 Roads I'd like to ride.
Posted On: 25 Minutes Ago
Replies: 701
Views: 42,101
0 Cam timing and piston position
Last Post: rejeanprimeau
Posted On: 29 Minutes Ago
Replies: 30
Views: 606
0 Relatively Interesting Road Sign
Last Post: DEEP DIVER
Posted On: 31 Minutes Ago
Replies: 38
Views: 1,068
0 My 1200 IRON
Last Post: SCarty
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 23
Views: 1,514
0 WTF Happened
Last Post: kaveebee
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 946
Views: 160,536
0 Who's still riding???
Last Post: SHAKY DAVE
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 49
Views: 2,278
0 1200s mid throttle stumble
Last Post: NZstu
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 43
Views: 960
3 Thoughts on buying
Last Post: Screw Loose Dan
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Replies: 3
Views: 129
0 New member in Pullman Washington
Last Post: Dustpan63
Replies: 17
Views: 246
0 Quick and probably stupid question
Last Post: littlelisac
Replies: 35
Views: 1,099
0 New England 2018
Last Post: tvon
Posted On: 6 Hours Ago
Replies: 290
Views: 16,594
0 Crusty's Travels
Last Post: spoon
Posted On: 7 Hours Ago
Replies: 1,700
Views: 181,956
0 WTB Rubbermount Air Shifter,Wheelie Bars
Last Post: rocketmangb
Replies: 2
Views: 57
0 Metal Polishing
Last Post: Hippysmack
Replies: 47
Views: 2,093
0 What did you do for your sporty Today?
Last Post: hammer6315
Posted On: 8 Hours Ago
Replies: 5,518
Views: 638,703
0 Let's See Them R's!!
Last Post: hammer6315
Posted On: 8 Hours Ago
Replies: 1,497
Views: 548,486
0 Air quality went down the tubes
Last Post: Calcustom
Posted On: 9 Hours Ago
Replies: 8
Views: 155
0 This week on Craig's list
Last Post: Bstrdbike
Posted On: 9 Hours Ago
Replies: 3,625
Views: 374,281
0 No Rear Brake Pressure
Last Post: Napawineguy
Posted On: 10 Hours Ago
Replies: 39
Views: 14,811
0 inlet rubber band available by the meter?
Last Post: DirtyCory
Posted On: 10 Hours Ago
Replies: 28
Views: 1,193
0 Brake shoe removal/installation tool
Last Post: Tyler Lillie
Posted On: 11 Hours Ago
Replies: 11
Views: 442
0 ***DK Custom-Limited Time 10% Savings on a Pair Of Quality Heim Joints***
Last Post: DK Custom
Posted On: 12 Hours Ago
Replies: 0
Views: 23
0 THE Trainspotting Thread
Posted On: 13 Hours Ago
Replies: 2,175
Views: 254,731
0 seat bolt
Last Post: brucstoudt
Replies: 10
Views: 514
0 Vibration During Acceleration
Last Post: Bone
Replies: 15
Views: 338
9 1973 XLH1000 stuck front brake caliper
Last Post: ryder rick
Replies: 6
Views: 208
0 Suzuki Lights On 883
Last Post: IXL2Relax
Replies: 86
Views: 3,074
0 Best value in a front spoke wheel
Last Post: Calcustom
Replies: 0
Views: 122
More...
Members Birthdays
gp9739 (74), danbango (71), andyman1958 (60), 55 Jr (57), Love2FixIt (49), keywan (47), C Dubya (44), CA71xlch (43)
Sponsored Links

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 8th October 2018
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200X 48
Sportster/Buell Year: 2011
Other Motorcycle Model: Lambretta Li150
Other Motorcycle Year: 1962
Hughieboy is a name known to allHughieboy is a name known to allHughieboy is a name known to allHughieboy is a name known to allHughieboy is a name known to allHughieboy is a name known to allHughieboy is a name known to allHughieboy is a name known to allHughieboy is a name known to allHughieboy is a name known to allHughieboy is a name known to all
Default Backfiring/Poor running....??

Hi,
I recently bought a 1973 XLCH and am having problems getting it running properly. It had been subjected to some poor maintenance over the years but seems basically straight. When I bought it, it had a standard points ignition, a Screamin' Eagle Kehin carb and drag pipes. It was a pig to start, it kicked back and ran lumpy, coughhed back through the carb all the while.

I discovered the carb was in poor shape and had no support so there was probably air getting in everywhere. I changed it for a CV carb, new Tite Seal mounting rubbers and a support bracket. I also changed the points for an Ultima electronic ignition. The fuel tank was a bit cruddy so I gave that a clean out also and fitted a new fuel line, I have tried with and without inline filter. Running the Screamin Eagle K&N filter and back plate and standard looking cover.

There are now lo air leaks I can find either at the intake or exhaust (refitted). I have checked the timing as oer the Ultima instructions a couple of times and it seems correct although I haven't been able to strobe check it. I have out a new vented gas cap on as the old one was a bit 'old'. I have fitted correctly gapped new plugs. It fires up straight away first or second kick but then after a minute starts coughing back through the carb when you twist the throttle half the time. Go for a ride and it coughs and pops back through the carb and just kind of dies and then goes occasionally. It is not running well! Oh, I also replaced the pushrod seals and have correctly adjusted the tappets.

Is there anything I have missed here? I'd be grateful for any advice as it is becoming real frustrating. Please excuse the typos, doing it on my phone with no auto correct!
Old 8th October 2018
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1975
doodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond repute

Did it come with a new (ultimate) coil or are you still using the points coil? Inside the top of the cv carb, is the diaphragm intact?
Old 8th October 2018
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: xl1200r
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
TonyGall is an unknown quantity at this point

what colour are your plugs ? if they are black and sooty its running rich, the prime suspect for that is a leaking float needle.
Old 8th October 2018
Biker

Hughieboy is a name known to allHughieboy is a name known to allHughieboy is a name known to allHughieboy is a name known to allHughieboy is a name known to allHughieboy is a name known to allHughieboy is a name known to allHughieboy is a name known to allHughieboy is a name known to allHughieboy is a name known to allHughieboy is a name known to all

Yes, it came with the new coil. Also the plug colour is fine, biscuit brown. Diaphragm in the carb is also fine. The fuel filter in the bottom of the tank had picked up a bit more crap so I'm cleaning that again just in case. It's a mystery to me..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 9th October 2018
Greasemonkey

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH1000
Sportster/Buell Year: 1977
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 2004 XLH1200Custom
Other Motorcycle Model: 2007 FXDB
Other Motorcycle Year: 2004
1Scooter has a spectacular aura about1Scooter has a spectacular aura about1Scooter has a spectacular aura about1Scooter has a spectacular aura about1Scooter has a spectacular aura about1Scooter has a spectacular aura about1Scooter has a spectacular aura about1Scooter has a spectacular aura about1Scooter has a spectacular aura about

Sound like a lean out condition. Check the accelerator pump shot. Might want to check the float setting too.
Old 9th October 2018
Biker

The float setting is fine, already checked it. Will double check accelerator pump.

Old 9th October 2018
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: Ironhead sportster
Sportster/Buell Year: 1978
jonesboy is an unknown quantity at this point

I've just got mine going right after carb issues ,it seems they really need the accelerator pump working right, I tried a screamin eagle carb but ended up using the pump part on the standard keihin. Your welcome to the rest of the carb , sounds like your in the uk so I can post it, good luck
Old 9th October 2018
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1975
doodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond repute

“Coughs, then goes again occasionally” almost sounds like either fuel flow - dirty tank/carb, not enough flow out of the tank, float set too low, and/or lean jetting. Or any combination of these. Another thing that can mimic these symptoms is an intermittent short, but since you already mentioned crud in the tank, I’m betting on the fuel system.
Old 9th October 2018
Biker

I'm cleaning it out again. I think there may be a short as well, just to confuse things. I turned the key to 'lights' and there was a spark from the key area and the motor died until I switched it back again. Also the the headlight has started dimming when I pull the front brake! Looking like it's more than one thing.......

Sponsored Links
Old 9th October 2018
Biker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesboy View Post
I've just got mine going right after carb issues ,it seems they really need the accelerator pump working right, I tried a screamin eagle carb but ended up using the pump part on the standard keihin. Your welcome to the rest of the carb , sounds like your in the uk so I can post it, good luck

Thanks for the offer but the CV I have fitted is in as new condition. Might need to check the jetting..