The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®
 

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE FORUM > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Notices

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Active Threads
0 Keep & Kill
Last Post: Graywolf
Posted On: 23 Minutes Ago
Replies: 33,596
Views: 2,049,689
0 Official XL Forum Random Image Thread (NO NUDITY!)
Last Post: Graywolf
Posted On: 25 Minutes Ago
Replies: 56,870
Views: 9,885,436
0 Hottie of the day, no nudity.
Last Post: Stairman
Posted On: 25 Minutes Ago
Replies: 41,711
Views: 5,817,469
0 Roads I'd like to ride.
Last Post: Stairman
Posted On: 51 Minutes Ago
Replies: 4,030
Views: 539,304
4 The dreaded carb cough and interesting findings
Last Post: gearbanger
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 24
Views: 1,106
0 This is gonna hurt.
Last Post: Graywolf
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 10,177
Views: 2,570,615
0 Left Sidecover Won't Fit
Last Post: cookiemech
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 19
Views: 869
0 1977 sporty
Last Post: sungod
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 9
Views: 263
0 What did you do to your EFI Sporty today?
Last Post: SaddleBronc
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 4,071
Views: 908,581
0 video & pics
Last Post: Crusty
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 2,480
Views: 276,636
0 What did you do for your sporty Today?
Last Post: Melnic
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Replies: 8,102
Views: 1,581,994
0 1974 XLH Rebuild
Last Post: Gearhead88
Posted On: 6 Hours Ago
Replies: 63
Views: 2,697
0 A matter of degree (Pretty Pics)
Last Post: IronheadLiam
Posted On: 6 Hours Ago
Replies: 8
Views: 1,528
5 Stock 1982 XLS Gas Tank Mounts
Last Post: IronMick
Posted On: 7 Hours Ago
Replies: 1
Views: 92
0 Vm38 o ring
Last Post: joe s
Posted On: 7 Hours Ago
Replies: 3
Views: 109
0 Brake Lever
Last Post: joe s
Posted On: 7 Hours Ago
Replies: 1
Views: 119
0 oil line routing-a thought
Last Post: Todd007
Posted On: 8 Hours Ago
Replies: 14
Views: 9,223
0 Iree's late night cafe
Last Post: ~Grind~
Posted On: 8 Hours Ago
Replies: 2,471
Views: 515,661
0 TC88A and higher compression timing
Last Post: Tomcatt
Posted On: 8 Hours Ago
Replies: 8
Views: 275
0 an interesting vintage XLCH review...
Last Post: rejeanprimeau
Posted On: 11 Hours Ago
Replies: 28
Views: 940
0 75 Ironhead cafe racer reboot
Last Post: brucstoudt
Posted On: 12 Hours Ago
Replies: 92
Views: 5,371
0 Mushrooms...Hate or Love poll
Last Post: cal43
Posted On: 12 Hours Ago
Replies: 227
Views: 18,078
0 Hot Chicks on Hot Bikes
Last Post: cal43
Posted On: 13 Hours Ago
Replies: 13,722
Views: 3,732,948
0 Hot Rods, Rat Rods, and Customs.
Last Post: cal43
Posted On: 13 Hours Ago
Replies: 5,749
Views: 1,434,187
0 Horseshoe Oil tanks repo China?
Last Post: Ferrous Head
Posted On: 18 Hours Ago
Replies: 20
Views: 2,525
0 Snippets
Last Post: sportsterpaul
Posted On: 20 Hours Ago
Replies: 887
Views: 153,401
0 1959 xlh
Last Post: thomastoth
Posted On: 21 Hours Ago
Replies: 11
Views: 1,455
0 Tank Art
Last Post: joe s
Posted On: 22 Hours Ago
Replies: 43
Views: 2,944
0 Lost for words.
Last Post: Ferrous Head
Posted On: 22 Hours Ago
Replies: 13
Views: 894
0 DO NOT use GMAIL.COM email for XLFORUM.NET
Last Post: Ferrous Head
Posted On: 22 Hours Ago
Replies: 3
Views: 333
More...
Members Birthdays
Jon2R, Pink (68), blackcloud (61), harleyguy2064 (58), JamieBee (49), csmith836 (47)
Reply
 
Share Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 2 Weeks Ago
rapierce rapierce is offline
Biker
 
Join Date: Jul 2022
Posts: 18
Sportster/Buell Model: XLH 1000 Ironhead
Sportster/Buell Year: 1980
Other Motorcycle Model: Road King Classic
Other Motorcycle Year: 2011
Reputation: 10
rapierce is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Oil seepage from acorn nut on Rocker Box

Hey guys, I have oil seeping out of two of my acorn nuts one on the front cylinder and one on the rear. I would like to replace the o-rings, but when I try to remove them, the hex side comes off and the acorn nut just spins.

Is there a trick to getting the acorn nut off to replace the o-rings?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 2 Weeks Ago
sungod's Avatar
sungod sungod is online now
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: ny
Posts: 734
Sportster/Buell Model: sportster stroker xlch
Sportster/Buell Year: 1970
Sportster/Buell Model #2: sportster xlh
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1973
Other Motorcycle Model: 99 inch sportster
Other Motorcycle Year: 2003
Reputation: 662323
sungod has a reputation beyond reputesungod has a reputation beyond reputesungod has a reputation beyond reputesungod has a reputation beyond reputesungod has a reputation beyond reputesungod has a reputation beyond reputesungod has a reputation beyond reputesungod has a reputation beyond reputesungod has a reputation beyond reputesungod has a reputation beyond reputesungod has a reputation beyond repute
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapierce View Post
Hey guys, I have oil seeping out of two of my acorn nuts one on the front cylinder and one on the rear. I would like to replace the o-rings, but when I try to remove them, the hex side comes off and the acorn nut just spins.

Is there a trick to getting the acorn nut off to replace the o-rings?
You might try double nutting the shaft threads with a couple of thin (jam) nuts.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 2 Weeks Ago
JB in NC JB in NC is online now
Biker
 
Join Date: Dec 2022
Location: Piedmont North Carolina
Posts: 51
Sportster/Buell Model: XL 1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 2000
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL 1200
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1993
Other Motorcycle Model: H-D FLH
Other Motorcycle Year: 1980
Reputation: 64216
JB in NC has much to be proud ofJB in NC has much to be proud ofJB in NC has much to be proud ofJB in NC has much to be proud ofJB in NC has much to be proud ofJB in NC has much to be proud ofJB in NC has much to be proud ofJB in NC has much to be proud ofJB in NC has much to be proud ofJB in NC has much to be proud ofJB in NC has much to be proud of
Default

Your terminology is hard to follow.

If you mean the plugs on the right side of the rocker box are tight in the shafts, and you are spinning the shafts loose in the nuts on the left side:

First, tight plugs are a common problem, because they seem to tighten in service.

Second, you need to anchor the shaft firmly in the rocker box. Holding the right side plug, torque the left side nut to 40 ft.lb., for the solid chrome nuts found on your '80. (The thinner, earlier locking nuts, the ones with the red lights, can only take about 30 ft.lb.)

Third, go to the right side plug and spin it off with a rattle gun. It's often the ONLY way to get those plugs loose. Replace the o-ring (I personally like the 11118 quad seal in that particular location) and replace the plug, just snugging it in place, no heavy hand needed.

Jim
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 2 Weeks Ago
rapierce rapierce is offline
Biker
 
Join Date: Jul 2022
Posts: 18
Sportster/Buell Model: XLH 1000 Ironhead
Sportster/Buell Year: 1980
Other Motorcycle Model: Road King Classic
Other Motorcycle Year: 2011
Reputation: 10
rapierce is an unknown quantity at this point
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB in NC View Post
Your terminology is hard to follow.

If you mean the plugs on the right side of the rocker box are tight in the shafts, and you are spinning the shafts loose in the nuts on the left side:

First, tight plugs are a common problem, because they seem to tighten in service.

Second, you need to anchor the shaft firmly in the rocker box. Holding the right side plug, torque the left side nut to 40 ft.lb., for the solid chrome nuts found on your '80. (The thinner, earlier locking nuts, the ones with the red lights, can only take about 30 ft.lb.)

Third, go to the right side plug and spin it off with a rattle gun. It's often the ONLY way to get those plugs loose. Replace the o-ring (I personally like the 11118 quad seal in that particular location) and replace the plug, just snugging it in place, no heavy hand needed.

Jim
I think I understand what you're saying, but it's not the right side that is stuck it's the acorn nut on left side that I need to replace the o-ring, the "Plugs" on the right side are coming out quite easily.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 2 Weeks Ago
JB in NC JB in NC is online now
Biker
 
Join Date: Dec 2022
Location: Piedmont North Carolina
Posts: 51
Sportster/Buell Model: XL 1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 2000
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL 1200
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1993
Other Motorcycle Model: H-D FLH
Other Motorcycle Year: 1980
Reputation: 64216
JB in NC has much to be proud ofJB in NC has much to be proud ofJB in NC has much to be proud ofJB in NC has much to be proud ofJB in NC has much to be proud ofJB in NC has much to be proud ofJB in NC has much to be proud ofJB in NC has much to be proud ofJB in NC has much to be proud ofJB in NC has much to be proud ofJB in NC has much to be proud of
Default

OK, when I first read your post, that's what I thought you meant, but the above post in answer to your first kind of muddied my understanding.

There are no o-rings on the left side, the seal is just the thin, soft steel washer under the nut.

To tighten the left side nut, remove the plug on the right side. Put a 3/8 steel ball (oil pump checkball) in the opening, and follow with a 1/2-20 bolt tightened on the ball. All of this clean, of course, since this is part of your oiling system. Holding the shaft still with that 1/2" bolt. torque the left side nut to 30 - 40 ft.lb. as I said earlier. A light shock to the 1/2" bolt will break it loose, and you can remove the ball with a magnet. Assemble o-ring and plug, and you are done.

Jim
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 2 Weeks Ago
rapierce rapierce is offline
Biker
 
Join Date: Jul 2022
Posts: 18
Sportster/Buell Model: XLH 1000 Ironhead
Sportster/Buell Year: 1980
Other Motorcycle Model: Road King Classic
Other Motorcycle Year: 2011
Reputation: 10
rapierce is an unknown quantity at this point
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB in NC View Post
OK, when I first read your post, that's what I thought you meant, but the above post in answer to your first kind of muddied my understanding.

There are no o-rings on the left side, the seal is just the thin, soft steel washer under the nut.

To tighten the left side nut, remove the plug on the right side. Put a 3/8 steel ball (oil pump checkball) in the opening, and follow with a 1/2-20 bolt tightened on the ball. All of this clean, of course, since this is part of your oiling system. Holding the shaft still with that 1/2" bolt. torque the left side nut to 30 - 40 ft.lb. as I said earlier. A light shock to the 1/2" bolt will break it loose, and you can remove the ball with a magnet. Assemble o-ring and plug, and you are done.

Jim
Ok, I think I understand that. So there are just crush washers on the left side that seal it up?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 2 Weeks Ago
toodogs toodogs is offline
Biker
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Posts: 38
Sportster/Buell Model: xlh1000
Sportster/Buell Year: 1976
Reputation: 27511
toodogs is a name known to alltoodogs is a name known to alltoodogs is a name known to alltoodogs is a name known to alltoodogs is a name known to alltoodogs is a name known to alltoodogs is a name known to alltoodogs is a name known to alltoodogs is a name known to alltoodogs is a name known to alltoodogs is a name known to all
Default

For the rocker shaft left side acorn nuts: Per FSM-M813 Service Bulletin the acorn nut torque is 15-20 foot pound.

There is a misprint in the 70-78 FSM 99484-78 where 60-65 foot pound torque is recommended.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 2 Weeks Ago
JB in NC JB in NC is online now
Biker
 
Join Date: Dec 2022
Location: Piedmont North Carolina
Posts: 51
Sportster/Buell Model: XL 1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 2000
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL 1200
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1993
Other Motorcycle Model: H-D FLH
Other Motorcycle Year: 1980
Reputation: 64216
JB in NC has much to be proud ofJB in NC has much to be proud ofJB in NC has much to be proud ofJB in NC has much to be proud ofJB in NC has much to be proud ofJB in NC has much to be proud ofJB in NC has much to be proud ofJB in NC has much to be proud ofJB in NC has much to be proud ofJB in NC has much to be proud ofJB in NC has much to be proud of
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by toodogs View Post
For the rocker shaft left side acorn nuts: Per FSM-M813 Service Bulletin the acorn nut torque is 15-20 foot pound.

There is a misprint in the 70-78 FSM 99484-78 where 60-65 foot pound torque is recommended.

It's a 7/16 thread. 15 - 20 ft.lb. is laughable for that nut, I don't care what the service manual says. I can pretty much guarantee you that no motor left the factory with those nuts at that torque value. If the OP's shafts are leaking, then for sure they are not tight.

Jim
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 2 Weeks Ago
toodogs toodogs is offline
Biker
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Posts: 38
Sportster/Buell Model: xlh1000
Sportster/Buell Year: 1976
Reputation: 27511
toodogs is a name known to alltoodogs is a name known to alltoodogs is a name known to alltoodogs is a name known to alltoodogs is a name known to alltoodogs is a name known to alltoodogs is a name known to alltoodogs is a name known to alltoodogs is a name known to alltoodogs is a name known to alltoodogs is a name known to all
Default

Jim, the left nut seats a shoulder of the rocker shaft against pn 17451-57 spacer<hard washer> that seats against a mating shoulder in the rocker cover.

The left nut has nothing to do with compression of the o-ring that is under the right rocker shaft screw pn 17448-57 or 17448-71A <depending on model year>
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 2 Weeks Ago
JB in NC JB in NC is online now
Biker
 
Join Date: Dec 2022
Location: Piedmont North Carolina
Posts: 51
Sportster/Buell Model: XL 1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 2000
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL 1200
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1993
Other Motorcycle Model: H-D FLH
Other Motorcycle Year: 1980
Reputation: 64216
JB in NC has much to be proud ofJB in NC has much to be proud ofJB in NC has much to be proud ofJB in NC has much to be proud ofJB in NC has much to be proud ofJB in NC has much to be proud ofJB in NC has much to be proud ofJB in NC has much to be proud ofJB in NC has much to be proud ofJB in NC has much to be proud ofJB in NC has much to be proud of
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by toodogs View Post
Jim, the left nut seats a shoulder of the rocker shaft against pn 17451-57 spacer<hard washer> that seats against a mating shoulder in the rocker cover.

The left nut has nothing to do with compression of the o-ring that is under the right rocker shaft screw pn 17448-57 or 17448-71A <depending on model year>
Yes, but the OP's complaint is that the shafts are leaking on the left side, not at the o-rings. That was confusing to me at first as well.

Jim
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 23:50.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
XL Forum® - Linson Media LLC