The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE FORUM > Sportster Motorcycle General Discussion and Problems
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Notices

Sportster Motorcycle General Discussion and Problems For discussing problems about your Sportster motorcycle that don't fit anywhere else.

Active Threads
0 Speedometer Replacement - 2011 xl1200cp - how to remove
Last Post: hammer6315
Posted On: 10 Minutes Ago
Replies: 8
Views: 868
0 Corona Virus
Last Post: hammer6315
Posted On: 17 Minutes Ago
Replies: 761
Views: 63,409
0 Hagerty Insurance
Last Post: Akdawg
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 13
Views: 502
0 Iree's late night cafe
Last Post: ~Grind~
Replies: 1,671
Views: 225,189
0 Keep & Kill
Last Post: Crusty
Replies: 17,903
Views: 1,047,709
0 Official XL Forum Random Image Thread (NO NUDITY!)
Last Post: Tim The Grim
Replies: 48,034
Views: 7,716,139
0 fender Installation & Components
Last Post: FiftySixer
Replies: 9
Views: 277
0 This week on Craig's list
Last Post: Ferrous Head
Replies: 4,762
Views: 636,369
0 1275 Kit and Krome Werks Headers?
Last Post: XL1275
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 6
Views: 244
4 1977 ironhead frame modification help
Last Post: Slytat
Replies: 5
Views: 436
0 CV-40 for 88’ 883 Still leaks overflow/rebuilt
Last Post: Mission1
Replies: 2
Views: 57
0 wavers
Last Post: ZCarFan
Replies: 7
Views: 127
0 900cc Cylinders
Last Post: Tim The Grim
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 5
Views: 149
0 tachometer on 2012 Custom
Last Post: The Doctor71
Replies: 2
Views: 71
0 Snippets
Last Post: Crusty
Replies: 201
Views: 18,555
0 Kinda of a Dumb Question on Top End Build coming up
Last Post: XL1275
Replies: 0
Views: 32
0 Early Sportster Shock Absorber Disassembly
Last Post: Heff
Replies: 4
Views: 154
0 Rocker box leak on rear cylinder after 16 years (2004) old bike
Last Post: sportsterpaul
Replies: 16
Views: 170
0 New from Michigan
Replies: 13
Views: 216
0 Is the Sturgis Rally too risky?
Last Post: 1skullster1
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 78
Views: 1,850
0 Hottie of the day, no nudity.
Last Post: Stairman
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 20,882
Views: 2,144,341
0 Fuel Sputter & Much More
Last Post: wedge
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Replies: 8
Views: 167
0 Another Ohio Meet & Eat?
Posted On: 6 Hours Ago
Replies: 70
Views: 2,673
0 Hot Chicks on Hot Bikes
Replies: 10,887
Views: 2,110,106
0 Rear wheel alignment
Replies: 14
Views: 435
0 low rpm problem
Posted On: 7 Hours Ago
Replies: 4
Views: 110
0 Help Identifying Pistons
Last Post: brucstoudt
Posted On: 7 Hours Ago
Replies: 14
Views: 523
0 Roads I'd like to ride.
Last Post: Stairman
Posted On: 8 Hours Ago
Replies: 3,181
Views: 300,298
5 Accidentally put Synthetic auto oil and caused engine to seize
Posted On: 10 Hours Ago
Replies: 10
Views: 444
0 Mini chrome tachometer & speedo set for springer
Last Post: FiftySixer
Posted On: 10 Hours Ago
Replies: 0
Views: 46
More...
Members Birthdays
Desertfox (70), gd714 (60), insalltm (57), seagullplayer (55), ac_tx, jon686 (49), NineSixteen (45), dstroy12 (38)

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200 C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2002
Other Motorcycle Model: Xvs650 dragstar
Other Motorcycle Year: 1999
Billy1200 is a splendid one to beholdBilly1200 is a splendid one to beholdBilly1200 is a splendid one to beholdBilly1200 is a splendid one to beholdBilly1200 is a splendid one to beholdBilly1200 is a splendid one to beholdBilly1200 is a splendid one to beholdBilly1200 is a splendid one to beholdBilly1200 is a splendid one to beholdBilly1200 is a splendid one to beholdBilly1200 is a splendid one to behold
Default Mods/upgrades

This is not just a Harley thing but as I'm here I guess this Q is .

It seems most people talk about and do many upgrades to the little ol sportster .

Do peeps feel the stock bike is really in need of changing?

Reason I ask is it seems many can post regarding picking a bike up next week and already be asking what mods they can do.. Lots of peeps have mods done at point of sale etc ..

I have a stage 1 on mine which was done before I git the bike and I almost "fell" into the " what can I change" mentality but after a week or two of just riding I honestly feel the bikes just fine ..

It's not the fastest but it doesn't need to be , it looks sweet backed up by people's comments, it starts and rides and I can potter or give it a bit on the faster roads, it handles without issue as in it feels planted and stable etc.

So how many ride stock, or almost stock sporties and are happy..?

I'v had mine getting on 12 months and have no plans to spend money on it apart from the usual upkeep and maintenance .. I even love the ham can style filter housing
Old 4 Weeks Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 04
seajay has a reputation beyond reputeseajay has a reputation beyond reputeseajay has a reputation beyond reputeseajay has a reputation beyond reputeseajay has a reputation beyond reputeseajay has a reputation beyond reputeseajay has a reputation beyond reputeseajay has a reputation beyond reputeseajay has a reputation beyond reputeseajay has a reputation beyond reputeseajay has a reputation beyond repute

"To each his own"
Old 4 Weeks Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: xl1200r
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XB9R
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2003
herostar is just really niceherostar is just really niceherostar is just really niceherostar is just really niceherostar is just really niceherostar is just really niceherostar is just really niceherostar is just really niceherostar is just really niceherostar is just really niceherostar is just really nice

I think the basis of many people's modifications stems from the fact that the Sportster is harley's base model. It's pretty well documented that the bikes come "restricted" from the factory in terms of intake and exhaust (mostly for sound/emissions reasons), and upgrading these parts is relatively cheap whether new or used parts are installed. Other than that, the suspension is known to be basic and many people like myself have issues with the bike bottoming out.

I agree that these aren't sport bikes and never will be. They work great for cruising, but many people want to get more out of their bikes so the make a few upgrades.

The Sportster has been a mainstay in the Harley lineup for decades, leading to a plethora of aftermarket parts and accessories that are often interchangeable across model years. It's easy to find parts on the cheap and part of the fun is personalizing your ride.
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: 883 Evo
Sportster/Buell Year: 1989
kitabel is a splendid one to beholdkitabel is a splendid one to beholdkitabel is a splendid one to beholdkitabel is a splendid one to beholdkitabel is a splendid one to beholdkitabel is a splendid one to beholdkitabel is a splendid one to beholdkitabel is a splendid one to beholdkitabel is a splendid one to beholdkitabel is a splendid one to beholdkitabel is a splendid one to behold

The basic H-D 4-cam engine design is now 91 years old.
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Brass Nut

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200CB
Sportster/Buell Year: 2015
Other Motorcycle Model: CRF250L
Other Motorcycle Year: 2017
Folkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy1200 View Post
how many ride stock, or almost stock sporties and are happy..?
I do. I have made a couple of cosmetic additions to mine, but only minimal functional changes. I have heated grips (from new), but that dates back to a time when I was riding to work day in, day out, in all weathers. I wouldn't bother now. I have the combined speedo / tach; it's nice to have but not really essential. I've changed the seat, but more for cosmetic reasons than anything else. The one thing that I have added that I would definitely do again is saddlebags. I don't think they really make the bike 'not stock'; adding something to carry my stuff.

If I were to get another Sporty now, I would make only very minimal changes to it. Possibly only saddlebags.

There is nothing at the end of any road better than may be found beside it. Edward Thomas (1878 - 1917)
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Senior Chief Harley Engineer 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: XL 883 ₪ 1275
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
Other Motorcycle Model: Big Dog K9
Other Motorcycle Year: 2006
Highly-Dangerous has a reputation beyond reputeHighly-Dangerous has a reputation beyond reputeHighly-Dangerous has a reputation beyond reputeHighly-Dangerous has a reputation beyond reputeHighly-Dangerous has a reputation beyond reputeHighly-Dangerous has a reputation beyond reputeHighly-Dangerous has a reputation beyond reputeHighly-Dangerous has a reputation beyond reputeHighly-Dangerous has a reputation beyond reputeHighly-Dangerous has a reputation beyond reputeHighly-Dangerous has a reputation beyond repute

Sportster = the easiest HD to customize?

For me, I just cannot have anything stock... cars, bikes, pushbikes... you name it, I do customize them all... I just cannot help it.

Old 4 Weeks Ago
Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200 C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2002
Other Motorcycle Model: Xvs650 dragstar
Other Motorcycle Year: 1999
Billy1200 is a splendid one to beholdBilly1200 is a splendid one to beholdBilly1200 is a splendid one to beholdBilly1200 is a splendid one to beholdBilly1200 is a splendid one to beholdBilly1200 is a splendid one to beholdBilly1200 is a splendid one to beholdBilly1200 is a splendid one to beholdBilly1200 is a splendid one to beholdBilly1200 is a splendid one to beholdBilly1200 is a splendid one to behold

I thought long and hard about mine and I decided apart from maybe the odd minor tweek here and there I'm happy with it as is ... I'v built a couple of metric chops and "ratted" my daily ride and have always frigged about but the sporty has just hit the spot with me ...
Old 4 Weeks Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: xlh883
Sportster/Buell Year: 1999
ohiodk has much to be proud ofohiodk has much to be proud ofohiodk has much to be proud ofohiodk has much to be proud ofohiodk has much to be proud ofohiodk has much to be proud ofohiodk has much to be proud ofohiodk has much to be proud ofohiodk has much to be proud ofohiodk has much to be proud ofohiodk has much to be proud of

to be honest the only reason I am more into messing with sportsters as opposed to my old victories is the aftermarket support. to me building a bike is 9/10ths of owning it. the vics were killer right out of the box but harleys are the tinkerers bike and i am a tinkerer.
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: XL 883
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
Other Motorcycle Model: Suzook Burgman 400/ 2008
Mike1nw is an unknown quantity at this point

Couple schools of thought here:

Mods make the bike YOURS.

My 2007 883 runs just fine. Light years better than my 1200 Shovelhead.

It's cool to add power, but the bike is what it is. Maybe you should buy another bike for speed?
I had a 2005 Concours. 4 cyl. stupidly fast. Forum people were always trying to add power. A common answer was, get a Hayabusa

However, I would like much MORE light in rear- running lights, turn signals, especially brake lights. (I have moved t.s. to the license plate bracket. They were in the way of adding saddlebags or ammo cans).