The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE FORUM > Sportster Motorcycle General Discussion and Problems
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle General Discussion and Problems For discussing problems about your Sportster motorcycle that don't fit anywhere else.

Active Threads
0 Who's still riding???
Last Post: Iron Mike
Posted On: 4 Minutes Ago
Replies: 151
Views: 12,760
0 You asked for it! "The Tess' Coffee Thread"
Last Post: Flame__
Posted On: 25 Minutes Ago
Replies: 10,467
Views: 765,124
0 ....1
Last Post: bplinson
Posted On: 34 Minutes Ago
Replies: 4,762
Views: 237,428
0 What Sort Of Sporty Have You Got?
Last Post: Folkie
Posted On: 42 Minutes Ago
Replies: 1,063
Views: 283,105
0 Stabliser Tie-link 16232-04
Last Post: Folkie
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 14
Views: 156
0 Lets see your off season builds
Last Post: Vohnsen
Replies: 1,196
Views: 131,907
0 Official XL Forum Random Image Thread (NO NUDITY!)
Last Post: Stairman
Replies: 42,468
Views: 6,583,665
0 Hot Rods, Rat Rods, and Customs.
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 2,950
Views: 301,191
0 Hottie of the day, no nudity.
Replies: 9,558
Views: 795,958
0 Top End Not Oiling
Last Post: Vanmor
Replies: 15
Views: 501
0 Winter Sucks
Last Post: Glamazon
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 10
Views: 274
0 Her indoors
Replies: 3
Views: 183
0 Hello from NE Washington state.
Replies: 14
Views: 244
0 Crusty's Travels
Last Post: SonWon
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Replies: 1,894
Views: 205,444
0 Big Bore '03 883R :)
Last Post: t120r
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Replies: 18
Views: 571
9 weird sound coming from left side ?
Last Post: IXL2Relax
Posted On: 6 Hours Ago
Views: 93
0 1981 basket- restomod questions
Last Post: drumbrake
Posted On: 8 Hours Ago
Replies: 23
Views: 809
0 which plug for dual plug heads
Last Post: ryder rick
Replies: 16
Views: 494
0 Do Loud Pipes in fact save lives?
Last Post: Jarlaxle
Replies: 2,452
Views: 248,342
0 Mystery oil splatter in exhaust
Last Post: T_worth
Replies: 4
Views: 134
0 Roads I'd like to ride.
Last Post: sportytrace
Replies: 959
Views: 59,887
0 how many run baffles, run open, or just run stock
Last Post: Bama Lee XLC
Replies: 381
Views: 78,071
0 Solo spring seat on 08 Nightster?
Last Post: Toejam503
Posted On: 9 Hours Ago
Views: 59
0 Shipping woes
Last Post: Hippysmack
Replies: 2
Views: 107
0 In Tank Oil Filter?
Last Post: IronMick
Replies: 6
Views: 212
0 Valve guide replacement SOP
Last Post: NHPS
Replies: 21
Views: 568
0 04 Battery Cover on a 95
Last Post: F1J1
Posted On: 10 Hours Ago
Replies: 35
Views: 921
0 Average age of the Ironhead forum users
Last Post: sltm1
Posted On: 11 Hours Ago
Replies: 430
Views: 73,974
5 1200 or 883
Last Post: Jarlaxle
Posted On: 11 Hours Ago
Replies: 1,014
Views: 304,263
0 What oil temp do you run
Last Post: JKKO
Posted On: 12 Hours Ago
Replies: 99
Views: 18,670
More...
Members Birthdays
IronHead83, AMATRAVELER (57), ZYBAN (55), tom_ski (54), mid30 (53), im_justin_sane (51), DOZER (49), acman145acp (49)
Sponsored Links

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 3 Days Ago
XL Forum Gold Supporting Vendor

Sportster/Buell Model: 883L
Sportster/Buell Year: 2009
DK Custom has a reputation beyond reputeDK Custom has a reputation beyond reputeDK Custom has a reputation beyond reputeDK Custom has a reputation beyond reputeDK Custom has a reputation beyond reputeDK Custom has a reputation beyond reputeDK Custom has a reputation beyond reputeDK Custom has a reputation beyond reputeDK Custom has a reputation beyond reputeDK Custom has a reputation beyond reputeDK Custom has a reputation beyond repute

All these pics are inside, under florescent lighting, so they don't look so great. In a few days I will get it out in the sunshine (raining today) and see how it turned out.

First thing I did was pull the console-

Before the ceramic coating goes on, need to do the prep polish. That went pretty quickly, got all three pieces done in about 1 hour. I used the McKee's 37 prep polish which is supposed to get all material off the clear to give the ceramic coating a good surface to stick to.

If I was going full bore, for the best possible end result, I would have buffed out all the micro scratches in the clear that have accumulated over the last 6 years. I did not do that. Simply got the big stuff cleaned up and then the surface prepped.

Here's the tank prepped, but not coated yet.

Here's the front fender coated...until it dries/cures and I get it in the sunlight, not really possible to tell how it turned out. Probably will be a week before I get the fender back on the bike.

After the front fender, I did the tank and the rear fender...about an hour to do all the coating.

After getting all the paint done, I did 4 test spots-

1. A little section of the front wheel, right next to the valve stem-

2. I did the entire Air Cleaner Cover, it is polished aluminum. Bad photo, but we'll see how it turns out after it cures and then goes thru some riding and washing.

3. I did a small section, down low on the primary. Will be interesting to see how it holds up to the heat.

4. I did a small section of heat-shield on the end of the rear header. Highly doubt that it will hold up under the heat. We'll see.

This is the bottle of coating I used. It is still half full after the F150 (8 foot bed) and the Softail.

Later this week I am gong to get some sunlight on the Softail....I'm hoping it will be as glassy looking as the truck.

Kevin
Old 3 Days Ago
Senior Chief Know It All 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: xlx61
Sportster/Buell Year: 85
Other Motorcycle Model: yamaha vstar 650 custom
Other Motorcycle Year: 00
mycle1000 is a splendid one to beholdmycle1000 is a splendid one to beholdmycle1000 is a splendid one to beholdmycle1000 is a splendid one to beholdmycle1000 is a splendid one to beholdmycle1000 is a splendid one to beholdmycle1000 is a splendid one to beholdmycle1000 is a splendid one to beholdmycle1000 is a splendid one to beholdmycle1000 is a splendid one to beholdmycle1000 is a splendid one to behold

as with all paint work, prep is 98% of the job. good luck with this. it may be in a lot of people's future.
Old 2 Days Ago

DK Custom has a reputation beyond reputeDK Custom has a reputation beyond reputeDK Custom has a reputation beyond reputeDK Custom has a reputation beyond reputeDK Custom has a reputation beyond reputeDK Custom has a reputation beyond reputeDK Custom has a reputation beyond reputeDK Custom has a reputation beyond reputeDK Custom has a reputation beyond reputeDK Custom has a reputation beyond reputeDK Custom has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mycle1000 View Post
as with all paint work, prep is 98% of the job. good luck with this. it may be in a lot of people's future.

Thanks man!

Yep, prep is the key.

With as long as this has been around and used on cars, I a bit surprised it is not used on more motorcycles.

Kevin
Old 1 Day Ago
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: 48
Sportster/Buell Year: 2016
Other Motorcycle Model: Softail Special Construct
Other Motorcycle Year: 1992
kuri77 is a splendid one to beholdkuri77 is a splendid one to beholdkuri77 is a splendid one to beholdkuri77 is a splendid one to beholdkuri77 is a splendid one to beholdkuri77 is a splendid one to beholdkuri77 is a splendid one to beholdkuri77 is a splendid one to beholdkuri77 is a splendid one to beholdkuri77 is a splendid one to beholdkuri77 is a splendid one to behold

Hey Kevin nice to see what you've done so far. Like how your truck looks. However, have you thought of taking a piece like a fender and doing only half so a direct comparison can be made whether in sunlight or not? That would either convince a lot of people this is the coolest new thing or prove that there isn't much of a noticeable difference worth the money.
Old 1 Day Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuri77 View Post
Hey Kevin nice to see what you've done so far. Like how your truck looks. However, have you thought of taking a piece like a fender and doing only half so a direct comparison can be made whether in sunlight or not? That would either convince a lot of people this is the coolest new thing or prove that there isn't much of a noticeable difference worth the money.
Thanks.

Not really...I've already seen what a nice job it did with the truck, am hoping it does the same for my bike, and think it will. Don't really want to have part looking great and part looking poorly.

However, that IS what I did in those 3 chrome spots...to see how it would hold up and look like next to the parts not done.

Kevin
Old 1 Day Ago
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: 48
Sportster/Buell Year: 2016
Other Motorcycle Model: Softail Special Construct
Other Motorcycle Year: 1992
kuri77 is a splendid one to beholdkuri77 is a splendid one to beholdkuri77 is a splendid one to beholdkuri77 is a splendid one to beholdkuri77 is a splendid one to beholdkuri77 is a splendid one to beholdkuri77 is a splendid one to beholdkuri77 is a splendid one to beholdkuri77 is a splendid one to beholdkuri77 is a splendid one to beholdkuri77 is a splendid one to behold

I didn't mean fender from that bike but you being in the biz figured you'd have a damaged or spare lying around. Really I couldn't tell anything on my computer from the spots you did on the chrome. All looked the same to me. Maybe I need a better computer.
Old 23 Hours Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuri77 View Post
I didn't mean fender from that bike but you being in the biz figured you'd have a damaged or spare lying around. Really I couldn't tell anything on my computer from the spots you did on the chrome. All looked the same to me. Maybe I need a better computer.

Oh!!! Yeah, that would be a cool idea. I will do that.

On the chrome stuff I did. It will be after I get the bike out on the road and in the sunlight...then we'll be able to tell the differences...if any.

Kevin