The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE FORUM > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Active Threads
0 Transmission issues
Last Post: needspeed
Posted On: 1 Minute Ago
Replies: 3
Views: 24
14 I just kind of stumbled in here... like 100 times.
Last Post: rocketmangb
Posted On: 7 Minutes Ago
Replies: 2
Views: 3
0 Keep & Kill
Last Post: Crusty
Posted On: 20 Minutes Ago
Replies: 17,486
Views: 1,011,229
0 What did you do for your sporty Today?
Last Post: Tipofthelake
Posted On: 30 Minutes Ago
Replies: 6,962
Views: 987,165
0 Info needed on mini sumps.
Last Post: thefrenchowl
Posted On: 38 Minutes Ago
Replies: 30
Views: 1,058
0 XR mutt race bike progress
Last Post: Scott
Posted On: 46 Minutes Ago
Replies: 12
Views: 397
0 Looking for an xlch engine
Last Post: Medyo Bastos
Posted On: 58 Minutes Ago
Views: 152
0 Run external oil filter? 68 xlch
Last Post: Medyo Bastos
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 27
Views: 986
0 KT - 2020 - Where Eagles Dare
Last Post: IXL2Relax
Replies: 48
Views: 9,899
0 Hottie of the day, no nudity.
Last Post: trainman
Replies: 19,998
Views: 2,037,455
0 front wheel bearing advice needed
Last Post: sportsterdoc
Views: 87
0 WTB: 1996 Sportster stock-ish exhaust and mid controls
Last Post: PRICHMON
Replies: 0
Views: 10
0 Keihin Butterfly crack
Last Post: jasnoc
Replies: 17
Views: 415
0 Cut Wiring, no spark.
Replies: 10
Views: 796
0 Chinese S&S carbs
Last Post: 11B40
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 34
Views: 1,279
0 This is gonna hurt.
Last Post: Graywolf
Replies: 8,122
Views: 1,714,094
0 Do all Harleys miss at idle?
Replies: 3
Views: 160
0 still chasing my engine cutting out hot issue!
Replies: 17
Views: 584
0 Top end failure
Last Post: Mission1
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 16
Views: 602
0 Ironhead high speed cruise prob
Last Post: Oldmxdog61u
Replies: 7
Views: 193
0 First Harley - 1975 XL1000 Café Project
Last Post: Oldmxdog61u
Replies: 488
Views: 76,155
0 Belt Guards/Lowering Brackets
Last Post: Jcolleyoh
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Views: 28
0 ....1
Last Post: Highly-Dangerous
Replies: 5,555
Views: 323,597
0 What did you do to your EFI Sporty today?
Last Post: hammer6315
Replies: 3,990
Views: 789,368
0 In need of input....69XLCH Stroker build
Last Post: Ferrous Head
Replies: 53
Views: 2,090
0 Dual Speedo/Tach Gauge Mount Failure
Last Post: SprtyXL
Posted On: 6 Hours Ago
Replies: 4
Views: 63
0 Rear Exhaust Tappet Mount Block
Last Post: knocknakilla
Posted On: 6 Hours Ago
Views: 25
12 Lets see the "C's" XLC's that is. Pics Please!
Last Post: james beam
Posted On: 7 Hours Ago
Replies: 1,236
Views: 466,431
0 What brake upgrade options does 1999 Sportster have? This is what I found!
Last Post: keithnh
Replies: 23
Views: 1,290
0 Valve Lengths?
Last Post: motorhedmike
Replies: 4
Views: 111
More...
Members Birthdays
FORCE50 (68), marcus (55), gardkarlsen (50), dhoppe1 (42), Hagen (42), tdyer55 (38)

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23rd August 2019
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1971
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1983
flthd31 is a splendid one to beholdflthd31 is a splendid one to beholdflthd31 is a splendid one to beholdflthd31 is a splendid one to beholdflthd31 is a splendid one to beholdflthd31 is a splendid one to beholdflthd31 is a splendid one to beholdflthd31 is a splendid one to beholdflthd31 is a splendid one to beholdflthd31 is a splendid one to beholdflthd31 is a splendid one to behold
Default 1983 Ironhead do-over - update

I'm looking for a winter project and could use some advice. I've been looking for an XLH rather that add electric start to my original paint 71 XLCH. I'm getting a little old to be kickin that beast.
I've lost out on a couple but this one I'm still dealing on. It's a 1983 XLH.
These don't seem to be to popular on this forum so there isn't a lot of info to look at.
It looks to me to be pretty much stock to me but I really am not knowledgeable enough to know with these 80's bikes. The bike starts and runs but that Keihin carb need a little love. The exhaust guards and air cleaner are off for a better view.

Would love some input...opinions, positive or negative.
Were somewhere between 1500 and 1900 at this time. Is this reasonable?
Thanks for any input.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 23rd August 2019
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1983
ferretface has much to be proud offerretface has much to be proud offerretface has much to be proud offerretface has much to be proud offerretface has much to be proud offerretface has much to be proud offerretface has much to be proud offerretface has much to be proud offerretface has much to be proud offerretface has much to be proud offerretface has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by flthd31 View Post
...this one I'm still dealing on. It's a 1983 XLH.
These don't seem to be to popular on this forum so there isn't a lot of info to look at.
I bought my 83 XLH a few months ago. The PO (or two) had 'upgraded' some parts to XLX and I am continuing the conversion. I like the look of the XLX better.

The price seems reasonable if everything works. There will always be some things that need attention, and a 36 year old Harley probably is the poster child for that.

If I had seen it I might have bid on it at that price range. But there are several parts I would swap out immediately, which would push the price up, so if you can stand all that chrome and badges then IMO you should go for it. If it runs and it all works.
Old 23rd August 2019
Biker

flthd31 is a splendid one to beholdflthd31 is a splendid one to beholdflthd31 is a splendid one to beholdflthd31 is a splendid one to beholdflthd31 is a splendid one to beholdflthd31 is a splendid one to beholdflthd31 is a splendid one to beholdflthd31 is a splendid one to beholdflthd31 is a splendid one to beholdflthd31 is a splendid one to beholdflthd31 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretface View Post
I bought my 83 XLH a few months ago. The PO (or two) had 'upgraded' some parts to XLX and I am continuing the conversion. I like the look of the XLX better.

The price seems reasonable if everything works. There will always be some things that need attention, and a 36 year old Harley probably is the poster child for that.

If I had seen it I might have bid on it at that price range. But there are several parts I would swap out immediately, which would push the price up, so if you can stand all that chrome and badges then IMO you should go for it. If it runs and it all works.

Thanks for the reply.
My plan would be to actually tear the bike down this winter and refurbish everything and get it as close to original as possible. All that chrome would get repainted black as original and the tins would get repainted as original. I do this myself so cost isn't a big factor.
The XLX is a good looking bike. There's quite a few of them on this forum. That conversion is something I could do in the future...maybe.
Old 23rd August 2019
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH 1000cc
Sportster/Buell Year: 1981
owlsplace has much to be proud ofowlsplace has much to be proud ofowlsplace has much to be proud ofowlsplace has much to be proud ofowlsplace has much to be proud ofowlsplace has much to be proud ofowlsplace has much to be proud ofowlsplace has much to be proud ofowlsplace has much to be proud ofowlsplace has much to be proud ofowlsplace has much to be proud of

I like the chrome on my '81 and there is lots of it. I get compliments all the time. Price sounds reasonable to me.

Sent from my SM-S767VL using Tapatalk
Old 23rd August 2019
Rider Of The Iron Steed

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1978
IronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by flthd31 View Post
... My plan would be to actually tear the bike down this winter and refurbish everything ...
Generally speaking, it is a good idea to ride the bike as for a year fixing only things that need to be fixed to keep it running. Then decide how much of a tear down is needed. One expert mechanic once famously said "Never tear down a good running engine".

Visit Mick's WebSite
[And Check Out My Autobiog]
Old 23rd August 2019
XL FORUM LIFE MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: xls 1000
Sportster/Buell Year: 1980
Sportster/Buell Model #2: xls 1000
Other Motorcycle Model: 1200 Chopper XL
Other Motorcycle Year: 1990
rokytnji has a reputation beyond reputerokytnji has a reputation beyond reputerokytnji has a reputation beyond reputerokytnji has a reputation beyond reputerokytnji has a reputation beyond reputerokytnji has a reputation beyond reputerokytnji has a reputation beyond reputerokytnji has a reputation beyond reputerokytnji has a reputation beyond reputerokytnji has a reputation beyond reputerokytnji has a reputation beyond repute

Yep. What IronMick stated is golden words.

I have a garage full of unfinished projects. Good thing I have backups.

Our 1983 will roll with a side car when I get around to it.

Edit.

Just looking at pics. It would be in my trailer already. Because pickins is real queer out here . Junk seems to cost money lately.

Stock sucks.

Traveled to
Old 23rd August 2019
Senior Chief Know It All 3rd Class

Sportster/Buell Model: xlch
Sportster/Buell Year: 1964
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLCH IR EFI
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1971
Other Motorcycle Model: BMW K1200RS
Other Motorcycle Year: 2001
Iron Mike has a reputation beyond reputeIron Mike has a reputation beyond reputeIron Mike has a reputation beyond reputeIron Mike has a reputation beyond reputeIron Mike has a reputation beyond reputeIron Mike has a reputation beyond reputeIron Mike has a reputation beyond reputeIron Mike has a reputation beyond reputeIron Mike has a reputation beyond reputeIron Mike has a reputation beyond reputeIron Mike has a reputation beyond repute

Advice can come from 2 sides. I dont think it should take a year to assess the condition of a bike. I can wear a used bike out in a year. A solid weekend and a few tests of the vitals can tell you what you need to know to determine a good starting parts list. A bike can be rebuilt in a week with proper planning, definitely can be done over the winter. It is all based on your drive, your capabilities and your wallet. That looks like a fairly complete machine with potential. Cosmetics are the easy part especially for a guy that does that kind of stuff regularly. Bring cash with you to inspect the bike, try to take it for a test ride. Keep all of the good points to yourself and point out its shortcomings only, and dont appear too eager. If he has no recollection of service to the major items, chassis, trans ect., remind him these are unknowns and will need to be inspected. If the bike performs decent on your test ride, shifts good, no oil residue in pipes ect., make an offer. Or if you pull up to the house and fall in love at first sight, make an offer, theres no advice for that.
Best of luck, happy hunting.
Old 23rd August 2019
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

ryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond repute

IM gives sound advice for PURCHASING.

I will echo the sentiment "Do not "tear down" a good running motor"

Guys will get all excited to use the skills they learned on TV and YouTube and build a "Bobber".

First of all most "bobbers" are a POS to ride.

That jockey shifted, suicide clutch "bobber" is not fun to ride.
That missing or cut down front fender invites every bit of dirt and road grit into your mouth and eyes.
Those cleaned off handle bars, means no front brake to hold you on a hill and when you stall it making a left turn means it will be easier to push it through traffic than to restart it.
And those bitchen short straight exhaust pipes will make it run like poo and you will be posting here complaining about you cant get your carb working right.
Then one ride you will have an electrical fire because you rewired it and got rid of all those extra wires.

However few ever get this far, a bike comes apart very quickly 1 or 2 hours and I can have an ironhead reduced to it's basic components. Then the reality and magnitude of the project comes to light. Every Ironhead I have taken apart has problems. Screwed up oil pumps from garbage in the oil, they all come with 2 transmission gears that WILL explode and usually go through the cases when they do, swing arm bearings that have never been serviced, neck bearings that fly everywhere when you disassemble them, smeared pistons because they have been slow idled, broken bolts, stuff gets taken apart with a pipe wrench because a 6pak is more important that the correct tool, after that 6pak is gone there are more lost parts and broken parts and little or no memory of how to reassemble them.

The bike never gets reassembled and sold at a loss. All because someones ego wrote a check they cant cash.

Simple repairs are difficult for most riders and the magnitude of a complete "build" is way beyond most riders reach. If they do "finish" it many won't be able to ride it around the block much less than to make it to the next county and back without having to work on it.

So "maintain" a stock bike to actually ride, and buy one of these unfinished projects to tinker with. Don't fall into the delusion of a TV "build" that gets done in 1 week and gets ridden across the country with no problems.

A drill with a Uni-Bit a torch and a big hammer don't make anyone a "Builder", but many can with time and patience 'Maintain" a good running bike for many smiles.
Old 23rd August 2019
Flat Track Champion

Sportster/Buell Model: xlx
Sportster/Buell Year: 1983
cazz1000 has much to be proud ofcazz1000 has much to be proud ofcazz1000 has much to be proud ofcazz1000 has much to be proud ofcazz1000 has much to be proud ofcazz1000 has much to be proud ofcazz1000 has much to be proud ofcazz1000 has much to be proud ofcazz1000 has much to be proud ofcazz1000 has much to be proud ofcazz1000 has much to be proud of

amen ,,, brother rick,,,,
Old 23rd August 2019
Biker

Lots of great feedback, thanks, but slightly off track.

I did tear a '71 down in the winter of 2017 and finished it by spring...no prob. It's a great bike, starts fairly easily and really flies, but would love an electric start at my age.

I don't post a lot on this forum but I read it constantly. I realize that tearing into a bike is not done or encouraged by most on this forum but rest assured there are some that can manage it in a timely successful manner.

My main focus for this post was to see if this price is reasonable and how much of this 83 looks aftermarket. These 80's bikes seem to have many different looks.

The tank looks too big to me.
The handle bars look too high to me.
Stuff like this.

Here's couple of shots of the 71 before and after my winter work. It runs as good as it looks. Doing the work is not a problem.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]