The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > HARLEY PAN AMERICA FORUM > PAN AMERICA Motorcycle General Discussion and Problems
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Notices

Active Threads
0 Official XL Forum Random Image Thread (NO NUDITY!)
Last Post: cal43
Posted On: 7 Minutes Ago
Replies: 48,569
Views: 7,853,575
0 Midget Harley?
Last Post: 1200CustomHD
Posted On: 8 Minutes Ago
Replies: 0
Views: 1
0 Hottie of the day, no nudity.
Last Post: Stairman
Posted On: 10 Minutes Ago
Replies: 22,983
Views: 2,341,059
0 The SPORTSTER car?
Posted On: 19 Minutes Ago
Views: 1
0 Points Assembly - Circuit Breaker Cam and Alignment Pins
Last Post: owlsplace
Posted On: 23 Minutes Ago
Replies: 7
Views: 250
0 How Indian Makes 43% More Power than Harley-Davidson
Last Post: 45Brit
Posted On: 24 Minutes Ago
Replies: 41
Views: 891
0 Ironhead 1984 trouble shooting
Last Post: doodah man
Posted On: 39 Minutes Ago
Replies: 4
Views: 164
0 91 883 sporty died while riding, will not crank.
Last Post: ChinCactus
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 18
Views: 439
0 Supertech oil filter cross refetence
Last Post: AZbiker
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Views: 245
0 WTD: XL1200S SE Ignition module
Last Post: flak monkey
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 10
Views: 343
0 What did you do for your sporty Today?
Last Post: Blowupster
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 7,174
Views: 1,052,494
0 What Carb
Last Post: npaisnel
Posted On: 6 Hours Ago
Replies: 3
Views: 165
0 Air Filter / Fuel Filter on a 2005 XL1200C
Last Post: rocketmangb
Posted On: 6 Hours Ago
Views: 172
0 FS: Mustang Fastback 96-03 Sportster
Last Post: Tinz
Posted On: 9 Hours Ago
Replies: 1
Views: 70
0 Newbie Question. (Years With Least Electronics?)
Last Post: farmall
Replies: 13
Views: 585
0 Iree's late night cafe
Last Post: Graywolf
Replies: 1,724
Views: 239,153
0 Speedometer upgrades
Last Post: NLXL
Posted On: 10 Hours Ago
Views: 220
0 'Sportster poster
Views: 68
0 Deserted '07 Harley Sportster 1200 Custom
Last Post: NLXL
Views: 124
0 Oil leak
Last Post: Ferrous Head
Replies: 34
Views: 1,828
0 How many miles are on your sporty?
Last Post: sportsterpaul
Posted On: 12 Hours Ago
Replies: 1,231
Views: 333,681
0 Sportsterpedia Progress
Last Post: IXL2Relax
Replies: 317
Views: 85,710
0 1969 Shifter shaft bushing
Last Post: Doc308
Replies: 3
Views: 131
0 Help with oil pump drive gear
Last Post: Hippysmack
Replies: 9
Views: 286
3 Wtb, Wts, Wtt, Wtg (Ironhead)
Last Post: tizard
Replies: 31
Views: 266,973
0 Help! Clutch cable replacement
Last Post: Hellbent_4
Posted On: 14 Hours Ago
Replies: 5
Views: 168
0 1981 Ironhead Dual disk question
Last Post: Folkie
Posted On: 14 Hours Ago
Replies: 1
Views: 121
0 New sportster in HD Research Survey
Last Post: Nibelungen
Posted On: 15 Hours Ago
Replies: 49
Views: 3,006
0 Sportster Seat For Sale
Last Post: XM381
Posted On: 16 Hours Ago
Views: 75
0 Fyi
Posted On: 16 Hours Ago
Views: 80
More...
Members Birthdays

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30th January 2020
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 1200R
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2007
Other Motorcycle Model: Suzuki GT550
Other Motorcycle Year: 1974
ParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLXL View Post
Harley has set up an assembly unit at Bawal, Haryana. In 2011, Harley-Davidson India began the assembly of its Sportster line followed by the assembly of the Dyna line in 2012 and Softail line in 2013. In 2014, Harley-Davidson began manufacturing the Street 750 and 500 motorcycles in India at Bawal, Haryana India, its only manufacturing facility outside of the US. The Street platform is jointly manufactured at Harley-Davidson’s US and India plants.

I've read it somewhere sooner and I tried to find it. It's as hard to find as the fact in what plant they are actually made in the US. This all make it seem that I'm wildly guessing now because I can't proof what I stated If someone can point out in what Harley-Davidson plant in the US the Pan American will be made I will rectify my post immediately. A VIN number will do also

If it is true it could also mean that Harley-Davidson will not make the new motorcycles themselves in India but instead manufacture through a strategic alliance like they did before with Aermacchi.
I believe all bikes made in the US are now made in York as they closed KC. Engines are made in Menomonee Falls WI. Plastic stuff is made in Tomahawk WI. This is based on their 10-K for 2018 (page 18). I have seen nothing indicating the PA will be made anywhere else. If it was planned to be made outside of the US then I am sure it would have hit the fan by now.

The only bike I am aware of that they are having someone else build is the small bike they are starting to make for China which is built specifically for them by a Chinese firm

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLXL View Post
Getting back to the original post Stairman made: It reminds me of an older video of RevZilla. To me it makes sense what he is saying about the new buyers and the future of Harley-Davidson:

1. The future customers
2. The existing customers
3. Non customers

(video is about 6 minutes)

the future of harley-davidson
Agreed

[URL="https://chrisridingadventures.wordpress.com/"]Check out my Blog[/URL] for my trip reports:

[URL="https://www.buzzsprout.com/129999/841095-episode-170-interview-with-chris-comly-of-chris-riding-adventures-blog"]Click here [/URL]to listen to my interview about my Sporty and riding on the Motorcycle Men Podcast

[URL="https://www.buzzsprout.com/129999/2188085-episode-221-interview-with-iron-butt-rally-veteran-chris-comly?fbclid=IwAR2AuBjIEvI8AoLtC7ZCZ4VC5Er_Guo8WfaRjh-15tRD9a5_rLYlp_jdJBg"]Click here [/URL]to listen to my interview about the Iron Butt Rally on the Motorcycle Men Podcast
[URL="https://horizon.bmwmoa.org/episode-93-chris-comly/"]
Click here[/URL] to listen to my interview on the Chasing the Horizon Podcast

[URL="http://sportsterpedia.com/doku.php/start"]Click here for the Sportsterpedia![/URL] for technical information & advice
Old 30th January 2020
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH883DLX
Sportster/Buell Year: 1992
NLXL has a reputation beyond reputeNLXL has a reputation beyond reputeNLXL has a reputation beyond reputeNLXL has a reputation beyond reputeNLXL has a reputation beyond reputeNLXL has a reputation beyond reputeNLXL has a reputation beyond reputeNLXL has a reputation beyond reputeNLXL has a reputation beyond reputeNLXL has a reputation beyond reputeNLXL has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParrotHead View Post
I believe all bikes made in the US are now made in York as they closed KC. Engines are made in Menomonee Falls WI. Plastic stuff is made in Tomahawk WI. This is based on their 10-K for 2018 (page 18). I have seen nothing indicating the PA will be made anywhere else. If it was planned to be made outside of the US then I am sure it would have hit the fan by now.
I think you're correct, in that case the media would be all over the place.. But I'm almost sure I read it somewhere. Fake news!

Quote:
The only bike I am aware of that they are having someone else build is the small bike they are starting to make for China which is built specifically for them by a Chinese firm
That's what I read too a while ago. Don't know the name of that company but it seems a 338cc single cylinder that is also known (with minor changes) under the name Benelli.
Old 30th January 2020
Chief Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH 1100
Sportster/Buell Year: 1987
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Road Glide FLTRI
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 06
Other Motorcycle Model: Norton Commando
Other Motorcycle Year: 1970
Todd31de has much to be proud ofTodd31de has much to be proud ofTodd31de has much to be proud ofTodd31de has much to be proud ofTodd31de has much to be proud ofTodd31de has much to be proud ofTodd31de has much to be proud ofTodd31de has much to be proud ofTodd31de has much to be proud ofTodd31de has much to be proud ofTodd31de has much to be proud of

I did a factory tour in August. At that time it was model change over so we couldn't see the manufacturing line. But we did see was lots of tanks. The Sportsters being one of them. As we walked up one isle they were setting up a large area for something. At the time the Bronx wasn't named. That being said I saw a wall chart of some sort that did say Bronx and it had a couple other names. I thought it might be code names but once they named the Bronx I had remembered seeing it. So once it's officially released we may see more models/ sub-models based on the Bronx.

Then at the gift shop the lady come back for the Steel Toe Tour because they had added 100,000 sq feet in the back for Livewire and the other new bikes.

So it doesn't seem that York is shutting down anytime soon.

"Beer is proof god loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin
Old 31st January 2020
Chief Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2009
Sportster/Buell Model #2: FXLR Low Rider
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2019
SLW210 has a reputation beyond reputeSLW210 has a reputation beyond reputeSLW210 has a reputation beyond reputeSLW210 has a reputation beyond reputeSLW210 has a reputation beyond reputeSLW210 has a reputation beyond reputeSLW210 has a reputation beyond reputeSLW210 has a reputation beyond reputeSLW210 has a reputation beyond reputeSLW210 has a reputation beyond reputeSLW210 has a reputation beyond repute

I'll definitely be kicking the tires on the new stuff. I like all of their new ideas, whether they live up to the hype or not will only come with time.

I do hope they put more smaller displacement bikes out in the USA, the new Electric line of small bikes and scooters soon to come look good. I would love to see those small dirt and dual purpose bikes come back to Harley.

My wife looked at the Livewire on the showroom floor and said the seat looked painful, LOL. She didn't even blink when I told her it was $30,000.
We like the new Electric Balance bikes, we plan on getting the bigger one for our grandson that turns 4 in March.

AFAIK all USA bikes will be built in USA.
Old 11th April 2020
foot in mouth member

Sportster/Buell Model: 48
Sportster/Buell Year: 2016
Other Motorcycle Model: Dou-glide
Other Motorcycle Year: 63
jammantoo has a reputation beyond reputejammantoo has a reputation beyond reputejammantoo has a reputation beyond reputejammantoo has a reputation beyond reputejammantoo has a reputation beyond reputejammantoo has a reputation beyond reputejammantoo has a reputation beyond reputejammantoo has a reputation beyond reputejammantoo has a reputation beyond reputejammantoo has a reputation beyond reputejammantoo has a reputation beyond repute

The Live wire is a nice looking bike on the showroom floor, road one of the pre release models years back during that demo tour, it was fun. I think it is about twice as expensive as it needs to be in order to fill the streets with them.
I hope the same is not true for the Pan Am. This is an exciting part of the market for HD to get into, I simply hope they do not try to out price the market as they have with the livewire.

Look at it this way, I went for some tp today, we need the RV style because of our septic system and have to go to a RV store, well on the way back I saw a group of really killer looking sporties in a parking lot so I pulled in. These were garage builds, all really nice and most were pre injection bikes. As I talked to the younger crowd, and I mean guys who all looked under 30, I asked about what they thought of HD, the answer is they love them, but can not afford 20,000 dollar motorcycles, they can afford 3 to 8 thousand for a used sporty.

I asked about the streets, I was told no after market support.

I hope HD is reading this, the kids that want to buy are not looking for Dressers, they want stripped down bikes they can customize. What hD needs to do is flood the market with streets and get a ton of aftermarket support going for it. That way they will develop the next generation of the faithful. Producing the main line of bikes that you need to make 70 grand plus a year to buy new is not helping get new riders to the brand.

what ever happened to supporting home wrenching by selling parts cheap? What ever happened to supporting racing efforts with bikes that were competitive? What ever happened to being faithful to the owners of the bikes, not the owners of the dealerships?

want to know why a dealer makes no money of a Street 750? Because he has to support a dealership that looks like a boutique and has 4 times the floor room space so it can sell 35 dollar teeshirts and 450 dollar jackets.

Even I wait till the new years styles come in so I can but the heavily discounted stuff.

end of rant

I like the Pan American, just might pick up one used at a good price if they price them like they do now.
Old 14th April 2020
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: ironhead
Sportster/Buell Year: 1974
slojoe631 is an unknown quantity at this point

I can remember Harley shops with a big maintenance department and room in the showroom for 8-10 bike and a shelf of tshirts with the shop name on the back now there's 30 bikes on the floor and a room twice the size of the repair shop full of clothes and tshirts with nothing on the back their lucky to have 3or4 styles of tshirts with the shop logo on the back.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk