The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE FORUM > Sportster Motorcycle General Discussion and Problems
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Notices

Sportster Motorcycle General Discussion and Problems For discussing problems about your Sportster motorcycle that don't fit anywhere else.

Active Threads
0 Will a 2000 swingarm bolt up/ fit my 99?
Last Post: Jason's Sporty
Posted On: 15 Minutes Ago
Replies: 16
Views: 246
0 Big bore stroker - the beginning of a 10-year long build
Last Post: Ferrous Head
Posted On: 46 Minutes Ago
Replies: 799
Views: 72,556
0 Good 2 into 2 exhaust?
Last Post: FearTheBeard
Posted On: 57 Minutes Ago
Replies: 7
Views: 188
0 Were your parents anti bike?
Last Post: The Crusher
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 17
Views: 205
0 Does Synthetic Engine Oil cause Higher or Lower temps at the oil tank?
Last Post: Sportycus
Replies: 91
Views: 16,965
5 Eye Protection When Riding?
Last Post: Graywolf
Replies: 261
Views: 60,829
0 Gravydog crashed again.
Last Post: BKB
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 87
Views: 3,688
0 What color are your pipes?
Last Post: cazz1000
Replies: 3
Views: 64
0 Cylinder wall scoring after rebuild, can you live with it?
Last Post: IronMick
Replies: 3
Views: 156
0 Relocated Turn Signals
Last Post: 1Scooter
Replies: 2
Views: 48
3 Shaky Dave Recovery
Last Post: SHAKY DAVE
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 26
Views: 952
0 With this fit my 99
Last Post: jordan1200
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 11
Views: 153
0 1200s mid throttle stumble
Last Post: NZstu
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 18
Views: 311
0 KT - 2018 - Hop-along Highway
Last Post: IXL2Relax
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 38
Views: 3,636
12 Lets see the "C's" XLC's that is. Pics Please!
Last Post: Kejobe
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Replies: 1,183
Views: 421,566
0 Crusty's Travels
Last Post: Screw Loose Dan
Replies: 1,651
Views: 171,864
3 Transmission Assembly, Tutorial w/Pics
Last Post: Rodzilla
Replies: 73
Views: 50,509
0 Thinking of a fall SE Ohio ride
Last Post: sprink
Posted On: 6 Hours Ago
Replies: 55
Views: 3,114
0 Recommendations for a good parts vendor
Last Post: brucstoudt
Replies: 16
Views: 817
0 Hottie of the day, no nudity.
Last Post: Stairman
Replies: 8,416
Views: 674,781
0 Happy Birthday wandrur!
Last Post: wandrur
Replies: 4
Views: 82
0 Iree's late night cafe
Last Post: Graywolf
Replies: 984
Views: 100,375
0 New England 2018
Last Post: Boudwood
Posted On: 9 Hours Ago
Replies: 225
Views: 11,604
0 Poll for the legalization of cannabis
Last Post: tigger
Replies: 380
Views: 52,356
0 Hi from Queensland Australia
Last Post: juzyHD
Replies: 13
Views: 119
0 What are your thoughts on this 2004 rubbermount Sporty?
Last Post: farmall
Posted On: 10 Hours Ago
Replies: 68
Views: 2,925
0 PLEASE READ THIS Before You Post In 'The BUY - SELL - TRADE Zone'!
Last Post: Folkie
Replies: 1
Views: 2,076
0 FS Stock 2012 Xl1200 and 1275 jugs
Replies: 1
Views: 136
0 Reflectors...Yeah, or Neh
Last Post: Toejam503
Replies: 159
Views: 36,565
0 Folkie's Rural Rambles
Replies: 43
Views: 9,145
More...
Members Birthdays
black pearl (74), SDREDD (57), pig (55), BonRu (53), cbass (45), ssm7530 (43), HawkeyeTX, SxysCowboy (35)
Sponsored Links

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 3 Days Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
Other Motorcycle Model: 5 bikes and 1 quad
wedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond repute

LOL, you get off your meds?

It depends on what is wrong with the clutch. If it's a broken cable I take out my Vise Grips and clamp the end of the cable to the frame and pull on the outer sleeve. That has gotten me home before, and I have helped others get home that way too. Most clutch problems outside of the spring plate are wear, causing slip, and an adjustment will cure that.

Ever run a two stroke into a deep mud hole and suck mud into the engine? I have done that in mud and in just water a few times. Mud is the worst, because you have to pull the jug and get some water and rinse the crank case out, then you drain a small amount of gas for the final rinse. If your friend is stupid, he runs right back through the same mud hole and you do it a second time (Okinawa in late 60's on a tank training area near Buckner).

Water... I have removed the tank, flipped my bike over to where it is on the handle bars and seat with wheels up, and run the kicker with the plug out to pump the water out (it started better than I thought and I rode it home, NH in the early 70's).

Water pump blew seal on my Toyota truck 22 miles from the nearest building. (Chubuck California, it can still be found on some maps, but it's just a couple of broken concrete slabs). After finding a ride to Needles I got one off a crushed cab junk yard truck, someone definitely died in that truck. I got the pump on and drove out. Oh, better yet. Same place in the desert on another trip, my buddy hit a boulder with his oil pan, and the crank was knocking badly against the crushed pan. We unbolted the pan, undid the engine mounts, raised the engine with the help of one strong fellow, removed the pan, beat it out with a rock, moved the baffle to where it didn't hit the crank, strained the remaining oil through a T-shirt, one guy in the group had one quart of oil, and we drove that out of there too.

SportsterPaul has damn near rebuilt his entire bike by the side of the road. That boy is an inspiration to any bonified biker. Go Paul.

Bottom line is that I have done this sort of thing more times than you can imagine. As far as EFI goes, it's the E part that will bite you in the ass. You most likely will not be fixing electronics issues by the side of the road. But don't worry, I would never leave you sitting there, we would find some way to tow your butt home if necessary.

I could survive without food for a few days, but at that point I would need to kill something. I would use the Snickers for bait.

Whitworth Fork Brace: http://xlforum.net/forums/m...outme&simple=1
Old 2 Days Ago
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200Lr
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
Sportster/Buell Model #2: FLHP
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2016
Other Motorcycle Model: 13 Guzzi V7 / 11 Duc 696
Other Motorcycle Year: 2013
Bone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by wedge View Post
LOL, you get off your meds?

It depends on what is wrong with the clutch.

< snip>

Bottom line is that I have done this sort of thing more times than you can imagine. As far as EFI goes, it's the E part that will bite you in the ass. You most likely will not be fixing electronics issues by the side of the road. But don't worry, I would never leave you sitting there, we would find some way to tow your butt home if necessary.

I could survive without food for a few days, but at that point I would need to kill something. I would use the Snickers for bait.
Yeah, total lack of sleep...damn kids (gotta love em though).

No matter, you totally missed the point.

Yeah, all the machismo stories of limping things home are fun and all that. I've got a ton myself. Duct tape, vice grips, etc.

Anything CAN break, sure. There is a list longer than your ego (believe it or not) of shit that CAN break and that will leave you stranded and you're NOT going to fix on the side of the road, you're just not. Nope, no way.

Bearings, Rods, Piston domes, Gears, Clutch stacks/plates, throwout bearings, etc. etc. etc.

Luddite W: "Come on Kev, you know that stuff is not likely going to break"

Kev: "Why yes, that's right, that's how come I can ride from coast to coast without worrying about that shit, you know what else is just as unlikely to break?"

Luddite W: "No Kev, what's that?"

Kev: "The F'n EFI system"

Old 2 Days Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH883
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 2005 XL1200Custom
hammer6315 is a splendid one to beholdhammer6315 is a splendid one to beholdhammer6315 is a splendid one to beholdhammer6315 is a splendid one to beholdhammer6315 is a splendid one to beholdhammer6315 is a splendid one to beholdhammer6315 is a splendid one to beholdhammer6315 is a splendid one to beholdhammer6315 is a splendid one to beholdhammer6315 is a splendid one to beholdhammer6315 is a splendid one to behold

I ain't a fan of all the digital stuff these days, but fighting it is a loosing cause, in the end.
Sponsored Links
Old 2 Days Ago
Flat Track Racer

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2000
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL883C
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2006
Diogenes415 has a reputation beyond reputeDiogenes415 has a reputation beyond reputeDiogenes415 has a reputation beyond reputeDiogenes415 has a reputation beyond reputeDiogenes415 has a reputation beyond reputeDiogenes415 has a reputation beyond reputeDiogenes415 has a reputation beyond reputeDiogenes415 has a reputation beyond reputeDiogenes415 has a reputation beyond reputeDiogenes415 has a reputation beyond reputeDiogenes415 has a reputation beyond repute

Despite my career in IT I admit to being a luddite in my personal life and am happy for it. It keeps me attentive and in tune with my motorcycles whereas I've seen people who rely on tech becoming more and more disconnected and complacent when it comes to vehicle ownership and maintenance rituals. They end up with electrical/component issues not because new tech is crap but because they overlook basic maintenance rituals like ensuring that sensors and electrical connections are clean and bright, a 'set and forget' attitude will eventually bite them in the ass. So if my carbureted bike running points ignition keeps me involved, interested and wrenching (bonding), then there's less of a chance something will fail and cause me to break down on the side of the road and if it does I can fix it or jury-rig it to get me on my way. That has worked in my favor for more than 40 years of riding and driving.
Old 2 Days Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200R
Other Motorcycle Model: 5 bikes and 1 quad
wedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bone View Post
Yeah, total lack of sleep...damn kids (gotta love em though).

No matter, you totally missed the point.

Kev: "Why yes, that's right, that's how come I can ride from coast to coast without worrying about that shit, you know what else is just as unlikely to break?"

Luddite W: "No Kev, what's that?"

Kev: "The F'n EFI system"

Well, Kev... A few years back, on a ride with fellow forum friends, we met up at coffee shop, went to our bikes, and one of them wouldn't start.

We traced it to no fuel supply from the tank. It was a completely shattered fuel line inside the tank at the pump. That bike got loaded on a trailer, and it was the end of his day.

Had any of us carburetor guys found a broken fuel line, it would have been fixed while most of the group had another coffee.

This is all in fun brother, I always enjoy your posts.
Old 2 Days Ago
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200Lr
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
Sportster/Buell Model #2: FLHP
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2016
Other Motorcycle Model: 13 Guzzi V7 / 11 Duc 696
Other Motorcycle Year: 2013
Bone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by wedge View Post

This is all in fun brother, I always enjoy your posts.
Ride safe man..
Old 2 Days Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200c
harley506d has a brilliant futureharley506d has a brilliant futureharley506d has a brilliant futureharley506d has a brilliant futureharley506d has a brilliant futureharley506d has a brilliant futureharley506d has a brilliant futureharley506d has a brilliant futureharley506d has a brilliant futureharley506d has a brilliant futureharley506d has a brilliant future

I guess i fall into the Luddite group, although forward leaps in technology never cease to amaze me, in fact i love some of it. But the truth is, everything "old way" is going to go south big time sooner or later. While it's still allowed by the powers that be, grab it with both hands.
One nightmare scenario for me will be when your speed on any given road will be controlled by satellites watching and monitoring your every move.
That i hope , will be long past my time.
Kids in the future will be looking at old magazines laughing at how crude the old engines were and illegally tweeking their bikes electric motors for that extra 1bhp to scare them selves silly.
Enjoy what we/you have now!
Old 2 Days Ago
Senior Chief Master Mechanic 2nd Class

Sportster/Buell Model: xl 883 Iron
Sportster/Buell Year: 2017
Sportster/Buell Model #2: xl Hugger (sold)
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2001
Nibelungen has a reputation beyond reputeNibelungen has a reputation beyond reputeNibelungen has a reputation beyond reputeNibelungen has a reputation beyond reputeNibelungen has a reputation beyond reputeNibelungen has a reputation beyond reputeNibelungen has a reputation beyond reputeNibelungen has a reputation beyond reputeNibelungen has a reputation beyond reputeNibelungen has a reputation beyond reputeNibelungen has a reputation beyond repute

sooner or later
everyone of us will become a luddite
growing old, ancient... mean that... if you are normal

for now... i'm an tech enthusiast...
only...
i had many many of that all days...
then...
i'm not yet a luddite... but i would like to go for some week on an island without any form of high tech...

greetings from IT Italy
Old 10 Hours Ago
Greasemonkey

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 73
farmall has a brilliant futurefarmall has a brilliant futurefarmall has a brilliant futurefarmall has a brilliant futurefarmall has a brilliant futurefarmall has a brilliant futurefarmall has a brilliant futurefarmall has a brilliant futurefarmall has a brilliant futurefarmall has a brilliant futurefarmall has a brilliant future

It's not being a Luddite to use a mix of appropriate technology. Luddites smashed machines to preserve their jobs, not to improve production.

Owners need to be aware that old EFI systems require PREVENTIVE maintenance like anything else. Ever wonder why you don't have the smoking remains of an airliner in your front yard? It's because aircraft inspection and maintenance are scheduled to inspect and replace parts before plane digs crater!

It's not horrible to replace Harley EFI components and much easier than dealing with a rack of carbs on other brands. Want to ride an old EFI motorcycle? IRAN (Inspect and Repair As Necessary) instead of riding until failure. I don't need EFI on anything but my trucks, but if I buy an EFI bike to keep it will get a thorough inspection and if it's old will get new hoses.

Fuel injection has been standard on autos for decades. There's nothing new about it. It's so established most modern car and truck mechanics didn't grow up working on carbs. Old EFI parts are expected to fail eventually like any other old part!

If an old EFI bike interests me (none have so far) I'll replace all soft lines including those in the tank and throw in a pump while I'm there. In the four-wheeled world it's expected to replace old fuel pumps (many Chevrolet trucks including mine got an access hole cut in the bed for easy troubleshooting and replacement vs. lifting bed or worse, dropping the tank). Harleys are a breeze by comparison.

EFI systems are rarely killed by use excepting fuel pumps. Owner neglect is the enemy. Sitting with old fuel can varnish pumps and stick injectors on any vehicle. Worth knowing if you're hunting cheap used vehicles. An old EFI system is like old anything else. Replace it, and your system ceases to be old. Don't forget dielectric grease on all your connections to exclude moisture and make connectors MUCH easier to disconnect the next time.

Nothing should intimidate a real mechanic. What one man can do another can do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkOIbwNpM-U