The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE FORUM > Sportster Motorcycle General Discussion and Problems
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle General Discussion and Problems For discussing problems about your Sportster motorcycle that don't fit anywhere else.

Active Threads
0 Poll: Hwy Pegs: fwd mount or crash bar mount?
Last Post: oupa
Posted On: 9 Minutes Ago
Replies: 66
Views: 30,368
0 Best Tuner options?
Last Post: Dilera
Posted On: 27 Minutes Ago
Replies: 0
Views: 1
0 How tricky is it to replace dipstick trim from oil tank?
Last Post: Folkie
Posted On: 32 Minutes Ago
Replies: 3
Views: 83
0 su carb question
Last Post: Serious Blac
Posted On: 32 Minutes Ago
Replies: 26
Views: 652
6 SPORTY BOBBER PICTURES
Posted On: 40 Minutes Ago
Replies: 6,029
Views: 5,475,503
0 Happy Birthday Mrs. Folkie.
Last Post: DEEP DIVER
Posted On: 57 Minutes Ago
Replies: 8
Views: 145
0 Official XL Forum Random Image Thread (NO NUDITY!)
Last Post: Stairman
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 46,370
Views: 7,369,686
0 Hottie of the day, no nudity.
Last Post: Stairman
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 16,827
Views: 1,666,267
0 Buell special
Last Post: Nibelungen
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 4
Views: 120
0 New HD lithium battery issues
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 11
Views: 336
0 how do eat an elephant,,
Last Post: cazz1000
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Replies: 4
Views: 121
0 Broke my drive belt (Stay With The Belt Or Do A Chain Conversion?)
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Replies: 87
Views: 23,409
0 Clutch lever pull effort
Last Post: Centennial Sportster
Posted On: 6 Hours Ago
Replies: 2
Views: 134
0 Psychedelic '70s SPortster Chopper Pictures
Last Post: Bryan83taco
Posted On: 7 Hours Ago
Replies: 742
Views: 690,665
0 Show your favorite pic of your bike. just one
Last Post: Bryan83taco
Posted On: 7 Hours Ago
Replies: 4,761
Views: 1,832,387
0 What engine oil do you use?
Last Post: TUCCI
Posted On: 8 Hours Ago
Replies: 473
Views: 98,423
0 Too HOT to ride?
Last Post: sportsterpaul
Replies: 337
Views: 26,558
0 06 Roadster. Any problems? What’s it worth?
Last Post: PetesPonies
Replies: 12
Views: 586
0 im sure its been done to death trans fluid
Last Post: burely
Posted On: 10 Hours Ago
Replies: 10
Views: 229
0 Another clutch Question
Last Post: wrkdWS6
Posted On: 12 Hours Ago
Replies: 7
Views: 120
0 Knowing weather you can ride
Last Post: ChinCactus
Replies: 19
Views: 612
0 CV Carb - Transfer Ports
Last Post: npaisnel
Replies: 40
Views: 9,253
0 05 Sportster Manuals, Service & Parts
Last Post: XL Ed
Replies: 17
Views: 731
0 Cleaning clutch
Last Post: tussuck
Replies: 5
Views: 278
0 my recent ebay purchase
Last Post: brucstoudt
Replies: 28
Views: 1,695
2 My 1275 Hammer Conversion..
Last Post: wrkdWS6
Posted On: 13 Hours Ago
Replies: 113
Views: 4,949
0 Iron-shed
Last Post: smokey 2
Replies: 21
Views: 535
0 Keep & Kill
Last Post: Crusty
Replies: 15,628
Views: 877,235
0 Roads I'd like to ride.
Replies: 2,884
Views: 250,706
0 Frame bracket
Last Post: brucstoudt
Posted On: 14 Hours Ago
Replies: 9
Views: 430
More...
Members Birthdays
Sponsored Links

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 2 Weeks Ago
Chief of Security

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200/1250C
Sportster/Buell Year: 05
60Gunner has a reputation beyond repute60Gunner has a reputation beyond repute60Gunner has a reputation beyond repute60Gunner has a reputation beyond repute60Gunner has a reputation beyond repute60Gunner has a reputation beyond repute60Gunner has a reputation beyond repute60Gunner has a reputation beyond repute60Gunner has a reputation beyond repute60Gunner has a reputation beyond repute60Gunner has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDHenley View Post
That's what it's about. There's three charity rides I try to do every year in my
area, a poker run for the local Search and Rescue, the Toys For Tots ride, and the Cripple Creek Rally Veterans Ride.

I'm in the Goody's Back and Body Powder Chapter, but they don't have that T shirt. Ibuprofen just doesn't do much for me. I'm about 2 decades behind you, but I'm hoping to get where you are. I really didn't think I was going to make it this far.

I've made some deliveries to your part of the country. If the sign recommends 15, I need to be doing 5 in the semi. And more important, watching for oncoming traffic because I might need 3/4 of the road to get around the curve. You live in some heavenly motorcycle riding country, that's for sure.
They should spend some time putting signs up warning about 10 ton bridges BEFORE you get 1/2 mile away from one.
8 years ago I was hauling US mail from Charleston to Roanoke to Memphis then back the other direction for the weeks leading up to Xmas. Mostly Xmas presents and cards. Should've been a team run because I had to run like hell and cheat on my logs to make these times but figured what the hell. They had no one else to do it and figured I was doing my good deed for all the people waiting on Xmas presents.
Took what should've been a time saving short cut on some back ass 2 lanes that I soon regretted. Keeping my right side tractor tires in the ditch to keep my trailer out of the opposite ditch on curves when I came on a sign warning of a 10 ton bridge 1/2 mile ahead.
Nothing on a map and no sign when I got on that road 15 miles back. I'm somewhere close to 40 ton.
With no choice but to fly over it or drive in reverse for 15 miles I gave her hell and hoped it it didn't collapse before I made it across.
If that wasn't enough, I get stopped an hour or 2 later by some cop for no reason but "a routine inspection". On a twisty ass 2 lane with no where to pull over.
I get wrote up for no 15 minute break during my first 3 hours and 1 of like 15 chicken lites in the front bumper of my Pete was burned out. Remember that stupid law Henley? How long did it last as a law? 1 year?
The wife and dog are crashed in the sleeper til then and my dog jumps up on my lap wanting a piece of this county cop when he says I better get him under control.
I remind him who's house he's sticking his uninvited head in and to get the f'k down off my steps. My insurance wouldn't cover if he hurt himself.
He follows me the next 30 some miles.
I finally get to Charleston an hour late where I'm told I'll have to wait because I'm late.
This is Xmas Eve day and we're already giving up our Xmas so people in Virginia, W. Virginia, and Tennessee can have their presents on time. Right up til then.
When I was finally unloaded I told them not to bother reloading me. The wife said f'k 'em. Let's get of here.
I burned up $500+ in fuel and deadheaded home all night getting back just as the sun came up Xmas Day where we stayed the rest of the year. We had done close to $7000/wk after fuel for those 3 weeks.
So if you didn't get your presents on time that year...
Never went back to Virginia or W. Virginia again. Some of the most unfriendly trucking states I've ever been in.
HSR42 25 pilot 2 turns Y8 needle jet 97 needle 2nd groove 170 main
Dragtron II AC K&N filter/VR1 20W50/Spectro 85wt Primary Oil
Max torque 87.7@4400rpm/max hp 86.8@5600rpm

Need help with your Sportster? Check out the Sportsterpedia!

Last edited by 60Gunner; 2 Weeks Ago at 16:30..
Old 2 Weeks Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883 Standard
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
boomerguy has a reputation beyond reputeboomerguy has a reputation beyond reputeboomerguy has a reputation beyond reputeboomerguy has a reputation beyond reputeboomerguy has a reputation beyond reputeboomerguy has a reputation beyond reputeboomerguy has a reputation beyond reputeboomerguy has a reputation beyond reputeboomerguy has a reputation beyond reputeboomerguy has a reputation beyond reputeboomerguy has a reputation beyond repute

Unfortunately, WV government likes to shoot itself in the foot. I love the backroads and the local people but the government has never been known for its intelligence or honesty. My friend in WV who always joins the Ride to the Wall every year told me about one of the rides several years ago through WV which always includes the WV Turnpike with a required toll. Before the ride, a group leader contacted the state about having his group of several hundred go through the toll booth non-stop, with the last person paying all of the tolls at once. This was denied.
So the group took a detour on the two-lane road which - sort of - paralleled this section of road. As the group entered the first small town, they noticed hundreds of people including kids standing alongside the road with American flags and welcome signs. The group leader stopped and apologized for what was obviously a parade scheduled for the day and they did not mean to interrupt it. The townspeople said this grouping was for the riders themselves and they had refreshments, food and even overnight accommodations for those who wanted them. This was the first day of an annual event that has been going on for years.
Great people. Stupid government.
Old 2 Weeks Ago
Greasemonkey

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
Other Motorcycle Model: Street XG500
Other Motorcycle Year: 2015
RDHenley has a brilliant futureRDHenley has a brilliant futureRDHenley has a brilliant futureRDHenley has a brilliant futureRDHenley has a brilliant futureRDHenley has a brilliant futureRDHenley has a brilliant futureRDHenley has a brilliant futureRDHenley has a brilliant futureRDHenley has a brilliant futureRDHenley has a brilliant future

I've never had any trouble in WV, but VA coops and cops can certainly be a bit unfriendly to trucks. It does make you feel like the heavens are smiling benevolently in your direction when you get by with something. I loaded potatoes out of Maine going to Virginia Beach, and the whole trip was a fiasco anyway. Got to the truck stop where I'm supposed to call the farmer to meet up and take me in the next morning to load, and it snows 3 feet that night, so I have to wait a day to load while they dig everything out. My first time hauling bulk potatoes so I have no idea how to estimate anything, but according to the farmer's scale the weights are right and I'm just under the legal 80K weight limit. I get down to Dumfries VA and the scale house has me park and bring in the paperwork, which involves the long walk through the tunnel under the freeway. I get in the building and the lady tells me I'm a bit overweight, so I show her the scale ticket from the shipper and she shows me hers, 94K on 5 axles. I say, "I'm gonna hate the ticket you're about to write, but I guess I'm really glad in a way, because this load pays by the pound and obviously they were trying to screw me over." She wrote me a warning ticket, and gave me very specific routing instructions to the destination, and told me that if any of the other coops bothered me along the way I was supposed to show them the warning ticket so they wouldn't write me another one.
In 2000 or so I had a truck with blue lights on the back of the cab, there were a couple times various constabulary agents in VA pulled me over to have a discussion about that.
As far as the people go, in WV and southern and western VA it's just about like Boomerguy describes. Up around DC things change, the people are more like New England in the beltway area. In the days before electronic toll passes, I took one of those parallel routes to avoid the tolls on the WV Pike. It's foggy and raining and dark, and I'm getting tired, and I spy what I thought was a small truck stop between a couple of small towns so I park and put it to bed for the night. I wake up to someone knocking on the side of the truck, "Hey, breakfast will be on in about thirty minutes, come on in and set up to the table. Then after breakfast we're gonna need you to move your truck." It turns out I parked in a farmer's yard, he just happened to have several trucks also.
Old 2 Weeks Ago
Chief of Security

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200/1250C
Sportster/Buell Year: 05
60Gunner has a reputation beyond repute60Gunner has a reputation beyond repute60Gunner has a reputation beyond repute60Gunner has a reputation beyond repute60Gunner has a reputation beyond repute60Gunner has a reputation beyond repute60Gunner has a reputation beyond repute60Gunner has a reputation beyond repute60Gunner has a reputation beyond repute60Gunner has a reputation beyond repute60Gunner has a reputation beyond repute

Now that's funny shit. lol
Yeah, I never trust the scales of the people loading anything especially produce. I quit hauling that shit pretty early on in my owner/op days.
Sick of sitting in a muddy ass field all day waiting to get shafted. lol
It was the only thing worth hauling out of Florida tho so I never went to Florida. Anything else you were lucky to get $1.10 mile. Hardly worth dealing with the chicken coups every 30 miles on I10.
For the most part the infrastructure on the whole east coast sucks ass for trucks. I preferred the wide open southwest. Anything east of a line from Ohio to Georgia took a lot of money to get me there.
New York there wasn't enough money. I turned down $5/mile to go to that shithole.
Old 2 Weeks Ago
Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH 883
Sportster/Buell Year: 1991
John Harper has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Harper has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Harper has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Harper has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Harper has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Harper has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Harper has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Harper has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Harper has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Harper has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Harper has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDHenley View Post
In 2000 or so I had a truck with blue lights on the back of the cab, there were a couple times various constabulary agents in VA pulled me over to have a discussion about that.
I got stopped on my Sportster for having blue jeweled rear turn signals. What the hell is with cops and their obsession with blue lights? He tpld me "police are the only ones allowed to have blue lights." WTF?

John